• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur IV sells over 2 million

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well damn good for them! The still have a few more copies to go as I have not yet bought mine! Damn paycheck schedules! :D

Oooooh! I do wonder what is the share on each system should provide some entertaining reading for me.

Cartman86 said:
Shipped or not thats extremely good these days for a fighting game. 08 the year of the fighter!
not really, i don't see how anyone can say this when BlazBlue, SF4 (home versions) and KoF XII are all next year and they will all blow any 08 fighting game out of the water.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
impactpewpew said:
not really, i don't see how anyone can say this when BlazBlue, SF4 (home versions) and KoF XII are all next year and they will all blow any 08 fighting game out of the water.

SF4 is gutter trash without the man in ur avatar

Phthisis

MaddenNFL64 said:
Shipped is a sale for the publisher right? Or do they only get paid after a retail sale.

Company sells game to retailer = company makes $$$ on game
Retailer sells game to consumer = retailer makes $$$ on game

Jammy

Banned
Nice, if true.

We've already gotten the Japanese figures and the European charts... Does the soul really burn that strong for America?

I contributed but I regret it. Thankfully EBgames cut me a deal and I was able to trade it in for 59.99 and thus pay off my next game.

burgerdog

OldJadedGamer said:
Wow, 2 million for a fighting game is a lot in it's first month. I'm impressed.

First week... and wow, I did not expect more than 500k for SC4. I guess we're getting SC5!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've already given $17+ for DLC and the SC1 soundtrack is WORTHLESS without a randomize feature, so that is a waste.

But I love the game!

Arcades are irrelevant outside of Japan. Designing fighting games and supporting / revising / tweaking via software patches is the future of the god damn fighting game industry.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Arcades are irrelevant outside of Japan. Designing fighting games and supporting / revising / tweaking via software patches is the future of the god damn fighting game industry.

You say that, but do you really think they're gonna continue to support the gameplay and patch it, or just use their effort to create more ass-raping DLC?

That said...I'm glad I bought it.

Kyoufu

I bought it and very glad I did. I'm usually covered in 9 pints of sweat after an hour with my friends online :)

2 million so far? Cool. Just more reason to other devs to either continue going multi plat, or to actually start going. Which is great for everyone out there. You get to buy the same game for you system, the devs make tons more money than before and it's a win/win.

Pai Pai Master said:
You say that, but do you really think they're gonna continue to support the gameplay and patch it, or just use their effort to create more ass-raping DLC?

I'm satisfied with SCIV, so I don't care what they do.

What I'm implying is what a developer with a brain in their head will do.

Sort of how we've been saying for years online is the new arcade.

Japan is moving up slowly from babysteps to being relevant in the western video game market again. Seriously, the lack of online play in competitive games is a deathblow in today's market.

I dunno, I'd say SF4 could be pretty good considering it was a pretty well known franchise back in the day compared to Soul Calibur; however it doesn't have Lucasfilm extras. I have to wonder how much Lucasfilm shit impacted SCIV sales.

Do we have figures for the rest of the game in the series?

The thing about online patches is that while arcade fighters constantly require updates to keep people playing(and thus keep spending money), with a console fighter...well...the money's already spent.

If Namco does a gameplay patch for SCIV they're going to figure out a way to tie some characters/extras into it to justify charging for it.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The thing about online patches is that while arcade fighters constantly require updates to keep people playing(and thus keep spending money), with a console fighter...well...the money's already spent.

If Namco does a gameplay patch for SCIV they're going to figure out a way to tie some characters/extras into it to justify charging for it.

Then nude characters and cowpers fluid dripping wang for Ivy DLC are the new way to keep people paying! :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The Take Out Bandit said:
I dunno, I'd say SF4 could be pretty good considering it was a pretty well known franchise back in the day compared to Soul Calibur; however it doesn't have Lucasfilm extras. I have to wonder how much Lucasfilm shit impacted SCIV sales.

Do we have figures for the rest of the game in the series?

It wouldn't be worth it to compare its sales to the other entries.

SC1 and SC3 were platform exclusives, and the former was on an unsuccessful system while the latter was on a wildly successful one.

SC2 was on three different platforms, with the most sales going to the Cube version because it had motherfuckin' Link in it.

SC4 is on two platforms and one of them doesn't feature an extremely popular character that the other version doesn't have. ...and don't turn this into a Vader vs. Yoda debate. =P

Danthrax said:
SC4 is on two platforms and one of them doesn't feature an extremely popular character that the other version doesn't have. ...and don't turn this into a Vader vs. Yoda debate. =P

Regardless of opinions, I think it's obvious from the sales that including the Lucasfilm tie-in was a brilliant business move. I mean that's about as close as you're going to get to putting god damn Mario / Zelda in the game.

Tain

Arcades are irrelevant outside of the country with the most obsessive fighting game players that probably would have found this shit within two minutes of the first weekend long location test.

Anyway, patches need to happen, and they gotta happen rapidly. I wonder how long it takes for them to get certified.

Top Bottom