• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Sells 14.4 Million Units Worldwide

GAG8YovaEAEv53f

In Square Enix’s 2023 Annual Report, the company announced that the original Final Fantasy VII has sold over 14.4 million units worldwide. The game was confirmed to have sold over 14.1 million units back in February 2023.
This sales figure accounts for both physical and digital purchases.
Square Enix provided the following statement:

“Since the release in 1997, this game franchise has attracted many players with its epic and touching stories, fascinating characters, and its use of cutting-edge visual technologies of the time. Physical and digital sales have topped 14.4 million units to date.”
You can view the full Square Enix Annual Report for additional details.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
It's sad that Final Fantasy VII became a "game franchise" by Squeenix

The only game of the "VII franchise" that is worth playing is the original game itself.

Every other game was an attempt to milk that universe more and more.
Not because they had anything else to add to the story to make it more interesting, but only because of money.

Astral Dog

The only game of the "VII franchise" that is worth playing is the original game itself.

Not because they had anything else to add to the story to make it more interesting, but only because of money.
The first projects were mostly driven by the popularity of FFVII, they didn't add much but

they finally responded to fans requests for a Remake, and they are doing their best to make it as flashy as they can,these are beloved characters,its one of their most important games and i think they are doing a good job so far, FFVII Rebirth looks awesome,if it makes fans happy,gets critical acclaim and good sales thats a success for any company

Not every fanboy is going to love the Remake, but you can appreciate all their efforts to make it as high quality as they can,they truly care

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
they finally responded to fans requests for a Remake
Except they... didn't?

- "Hey, I want someone to remake Lord of the Rings!"
- "Ok, here's your Frodo Baggins that dies by the beginning of the story, except he doesn't and some ghost revives him and look! It's Sauron! He's here to tell Frodo to make out with him and conquer the world together! Now Frodo has to fight a silly ghost that resembles him or something"
- "Wait, what?"
- "Shut up, this is what *you* wanted, now consooooom this and don't complain or I'll call the Yakuza on you"

and they are doing their best to make it as flashy as they can
Agreed.
Flashiness is all Squeenix can do these days.

if it makes fans happy
It doesn't

but you can appreciate all their efforts to make it as high quality as they can
They sure are doing their best to polish a turd

they truly care
Oh, I'm sure they do. Let's not remake a game, make it a filler fest, break it into as many parts as we can get away with and charge $70+.
They love U$.

Astral Dog

Except they... didn't?

- "Hey, I want someone to remake Lord of the Rings!"
- "Ok, here's your Frodo Baggins that dies by the beginning of the story, except he doesn't and some ghost revives him and look! It's Sauron! He's here to tell Frodo to make out with him and conquer the world together! Now Frodo has to fight a silly ghost that resembles him or something"
- "Wait, what?"
- "Shut up, this is what *you* wanted, now consooooom this and don't complain or I'll call the Yakuza on you"

Agreed.
Flashiness is all Squeenix can do these days.

It doesn't

They sure are doing their best to polish a turd

Oh, I'm sure they do. Let's not remake a game, make it a filler fest, break it into as many parts as we can get away with and charge $70+.
They love U$.
I have no idea the first thing you are talking about 🤣 the first "part" is mostly faithful to the original,they are adding twists because they simply didn't want to do the exact same thing again as its creatively boring, its more of a reimagining.if you want to play the og as it is,you can do so on modern platforms

The breaking FFVII into parts is not a bad thing imo, the sheer ambition of this project justifies a trilogy, they didn't just wanted to copy paste the original game,but focus on every detail is expanded,and meets their expectations ,they did a good job expanding on Midgar ,the characters and themes

Its not perfect, there are flaws filler sections,clumsy sidequests,etc but overall its going to be an achievment and i think FFVII Rebirth is going to be a big improvment over the first part,at least it didn't tqke so long this time around it will be out soon

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Sad but true. Outside of FFVIIR Trilogy I can't say there is much interest in FF as a franchise given the best games for FF is FF7R and SoP. And to a degree FF14 as it's very popular and profitable.

FF7 has been success coasted on for years and still going. Since without Sakaguchi they pretty much have no more stories to tell.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sad but true. Outside of FFVIIR Trilogy I can't say there is much interest in FF as a franchise given the best games for FF is FF7R and SoP. And to a degree FF14 as it's very popular and profitable.

FF7 has been success coasted on for years and still going. Since without Sakaguchi they pretty much have no more stories to tell.
How many copies did FF 10 sell?

Final Fantasy X - Wikipedia

20.8 million units

It was followed by Final Fantasy X-2 in March 2003, making it the first Final Fantasy game to have a direct game sequel. As of September 2021, the Final Fantasy X series had sold over 20.8 million units worldwide, and at the end of March 2022 had surpassed 21.1 million.

FF7, FF10, FF14 are the 3 that have cut through to a wider audience. FF10 is now basically up their with 7. 10 and 10-2 probably around 22mil units sold which is insane for a JRPG. 14 is very popular for an MMORPG, especially at its peak and I believe has raked in more dough for S-E than any other game.

FF15 had the potential to be huge and is probably nearly 11mil sold (over 10mil May 2022), but could have gone on to hit 15mil+ had the game been released in a better state.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I liked the Remake quite a bit and the second game looks pretty darn good from the previews so far (can always change on actual release of course).

But as far as everything else around FFVII, it’s been mediocre to trash.

MrA

Banned
His comment was bait lol.

You'll get trolls saying crap like less than Elden Ring or GTA etc, but obviously they don't mention the impact of FF7, the tiny size of the industry compared to what it is now and the fact the game looks like this or worse.

lI4reYR.jpg
you also have to remember the first how many 10 million were physical copies, and how many times did they change hands? how many times was Final Fantasy 7 rented? how many times did friends let friends borrow it?
The digital portion of game sales is 1 and done,

Bkdk

Well deserved, time for ff6 remake project next. SE should just go all in for ff remakes and some recourses for ff14 for awhile and stop new mainline ff development indefinitely, probably until they don’t have remakes to do anymore.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
you also have to remember the first how many 10 million were physical copies, and how many times did they change hands? how many times was Final Fantasy 7 rented? how many times did friends let friends borrow it?
The digital portion of game sales is 1 and done,
That sounds awfully close to engagement talk. We don't take kindly to that kinda talk around these parts.

I bought this game in the late 90s. It is on my backlog.

Also on my wishlist on Steam. Added on release day in July 2013.

Hero_Select

Deserved so, one of the greatest! I still remember most of my first playthrough and it was so fucking good - and a completely new experience for me

Top Bottom