• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata shipments and digital sales top eight million

Draugoth

Gold Member
NieR-Sales_02-22-24-1024x576.jpg

Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for NieR: Automata have exceeded eight million units, Square Enix announced.

NieR: Automata was last reported in April 2023 to have reached 7.5 million units.

NieR: Automata first launched for PlayStation 4 in Japan on February 23, 2017, followed by PlayStation 4 in North America on March 7 and Europe on March 10, PC via Steam worldwide on March 17, and Xbox One worldwide a year later on June 26, 2018. A “Game of the YoRHa Edition” launched for PlayStation 4 and PC worldwide in February 2019. A “The End of YoRHa Edition” for Switch launched on October 6, 2022.

Source

Go_Ly_Dow

Replicant was considered a mega bomba at release, the critics said it was trash, but the small amount of fans who did buy it said otherwise.

Word of mouth and the rest is history. Automata would have had no chance of existing if it wasn't for that and the top brass at the time giving Yoko Taro another shot with a higher budget to make Automata.

Absolutely incredible to see the turnaround here in hindsight.

Last edited:
I bought Nier Automata 2 times already on PlayStation, and I'll be buying it the 3rd time (this time for the Switch) once the physical goes a sale.:messenger_sunglasses:

Now let's hope Yoko Taro will convince the suits at Square to greenlight another console Nier game! Enough with the gacha shit already!

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Still no new Nier in sight though
Probably a good thing. It means they haven't pressured the creative team to quickly make another game straight after Automata which was a success the moment it released. So whatever is coming next is being given the time to cook.

Slimboy Fat

Probably a good thing. It means they haven't pressured the creative team to quickly make another game straight after Automata which was a success the moment it released. So whatever is coming next is being given the time to cook.
As far as we know they haven't even started yet. Nothing is cooking, the ingredients are rotting. It's been what, 7 years?

Go_Ly_Dow

As far as we know they haven't even started yet. Nothing is cooking, the ingredients are rotting. It's been what, 7 years?

No formal announcement yet, but I'd wager they have something in dev now.

Replicant original + remaster turned out to be asuccess and Automata a massive success. So they won't be letting the IP rot, it's probably alongside KH for them now tied for 3rd place behind DQ and FF.

I just think the past 12 months has been all about FF, 16 and 7R back to back 7 months apart.

I think this year we'll hear something about NieR, KH4 and maybe DQ12.

Last edited:

Slimboy Fat

No formal announcement yet, but I'd wager they have something in dev now.

Replicant original + remaster turned out to be asuccess and Automata a massive success. So they won't be letting the IP rot, it's probably alongside KH for them now tied for 3rd place behind DQ and FF.

I just think the past 12 months has been all about FF, 16 and 7R back to back just 7 months or so apart.

I think this year we'll hear something about NieR, KH4 and maybe DQ12.
I hope you're right. DQ12 and DQ3 remake have also been missing in action for a while.

Astral Dog

Replicant was considered a mega bomba at release, the critics said it was trash, but the small amount of fans who did buy it said otherwise.

Word of mouth and the rest is history. Automata would have had no chance of existing if it wasn't for that and the top brass at the time giving Yoko Taro another shot with a higher budget to make Automata.

don't forget
images

Famipan

Where is the PS4 Pro/PS5 patch Platinum?? 😤

I was starting to play it for the first time the other week but I have to use Sharpening and other image enhancers on LG C1 for it to be playable on PS5.

Last edited:
Reactions: CZY

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Also don’t forget Automata came out in 2017, in year both Nintendo and Sony had high profile games and yet still managed not only sell well but also make entire Nier series super popular….

even western devs did crossover with it….

Last edited:

Danjin44

No sequel yet, crazy
You wont be getting direct sequel for this game….even we do get new Nier it will have new story that takes place decades after Automata with new cast of characters.

We need Drakengard 4, that story is not over yet.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

For the glory of bootykind, loved this and replicant, deserves double the sales
Yeah the last update for Replicant in 2021 had it at 1mil

I hope it's at about 2mil now. You'd think all these fans of Automata would want to play the beast that started it.

Astral Dog

And you know, it saving Platinum from bankruptcy following the disaster that was Scalebound and the 6 games that flopped in sales prior to it.
i think its actually both ways, Platinum Games helped Nier achieve success, the Nier IP and Square Enix aid Platinum to stay on the map.

Its Platinum's craft at making quality action games and their engine tools that elevated Nier from having mediocre (at best) reviews

Both Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising were well recieved, the first game sold 1.5M on 360/PS3(with almost 1.4M confirmed at launch just not sold at full price, there are no updated numbers for those platforms)Metal Gear Rising sold decently, they build an established fanbase.(Bayonetta 2 had excellent reception with critics btw, but failed commercially because the Wii U)

They blew up Scalebound, but Nier Automata had the attention of people who follow action games, (its a combination of many factors that resulted in success but i believe Platinum deserves some credit) , im surprised tbh at how much this game has sold over the years

In case you haven't seen it yet, I recommend watching this Archipel documentary on the music of Nier Automata

And of course this one on Yoko Taro directing Nier Automata.

Their interviews with various renown Japanese artists from gaming, anime and manga industries are very well done, and I personally like that they're blending these interviews with good cinematography and music.

Currently they're working on a Atlus documentary which I'm looking forward to watching whenever it's finished.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

In case you haven't seen it yet, I recommend watching this Archipel documentary on the music of Nier Automata

And of course this one on Yoko Taro directing Nier Automata.

Their interviews with various renown Japanese artists from gaming, anime and manga industries are very well done, and I personally like that they're blending these interviews with good cinematography and music.

Currently they're working on a Atlus documentary which I'm looking forward to watching whenever it's finished.

Awesome will watch these tonight.

Awesome will watch these tonight.
You're in for a treat. Achipel are really incredible at what they do and if you like these 2 videos I've linked I recommend watching some of the others they have on their channel. Especially this one about the struggles that the Japanese game industry went through while transitioning to making HD games during the PS360 era and then reemerging in 2016/2017 with banger titles like Nier Automata, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, etc.

Go_Ly_Dow

You're in for a treat. Achipel are really incredible at what they do and if you like these 2 videos I've linked I recommend watching some of the others they have on their channel. Especially this one about the struggles that the Japanese game industry went through while transitioning to making HD games during the PS360 era and then reemerging in 2016/2017 with banger titles like Nier Automata, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, etc.

Where has this channel been all my life?! The content looks superb.

Last edited:

blackjon24

You wont be getting direct sequel for this game….even we do get new Nier it will have new story that takes place decades after Automata with new cast of characters.

We need Drakengard 4, that story is not over yet.
That's I meant nIer 3, I don't think we will get a new drakenguard, not as well received as nier

Danjin44

That's I meant nIer 3, I don't think we will get a new drakenguard, not as well received as nier
I LOVE Nier but I honestly dont know where story gonna go from Automata. Humans are completely extinct and only thing left are few androids and Machines on earth.

Drarkengard in other hand went entire new timeline thanks to Accord's interference, to me there is more potential for new story in there.

Also original Nier Gestalt didn't received well either, SE just need give proper budget to Taro like they did with Automata.....

Drakengard 3 had great moments behind all that jank and technical problems.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nier Automata should just remain it's own one-off self contained story. It's literally perfect.

I agree that Drakengard needs it's time to shine.

Exede

I bought it, but never got into it. I wanna be hyped by it i really do.
But i cant be bothered to continue. Im only in this desert waste land area means pretty much the beginning of the real game. But oh please dont kill me, it was to boring to continue. Is there a point the game switches on and you get hooked or is it simply not my game?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I bought it, but never got into it. I wanna be hyped by it i really do.
But i cant be bothered to continue. Im only in this desert waste land area means pretty much the beginning of the real game. But oh please dont kill me, it was to boring to continue. Is there a point the game switches on and you get hooked or is it simply not my game?
Yeah 40 hours in you get hooked when you finally beat the Prologue.

Papa_Wisdom

Oo what? 40h to make it click?
I was obsessed with the game from when I first picked it up until I finished it (not just because it 2b etc)

The story is amazing and plays really well.

One of those that you think about playing when your doing other stuff. (Skyrim was the the game before that for me)

I bought the remaster of the original but haven’t gone through that yet.

Epically good game.

Exede

I was obsessed with the game from when I first picked it up until I finished it (not just because it 2b etc)

The story is amazing and plays really well.

One of those that you think about playing when your doing other stuff. (Skyrim was the the game before that for me)

I bought the remaster of the original but haven’t gone through that yet.

Epically good game.
Maybe i should give it another try one time

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The first Nier releases in 2010 and its story is a service to ancient Japanese lore, they tried to go after a different audience with the second.

Top Bottom