• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: Nintendo: Third-Party Games do sell on Wii you know

Sadist

Did a search, couldn't find anything. Lock if old.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/n...t-selling-on-wii-is-a-false-assumption/?biz=1

Nintendo of America's VP of Corporate Affairs, Denise Kaigler, has "set the record straight." She says the idea that software isn't selling on Wii is a false assumption that's been spread around.

For as long as the Wii has been on the market, industry pundits and journalists have pointed to low software tie ratios and sluggish sales of third-party games on the platform. Nintendo is getting increasingly annoyed by this perception, however. With 19 third-party titles that have sold over 400K units in the U.S. and a few that have gone on to be blockbusters, such as Guitar Hero III and Mario & Sonic, Nintendo feels it's about time that people start thinking differently about how games sell on the Wii.

Speaking to GameDaily BIZ during E3, Nintendo of America's Vice President of Coporate Affairs, Denise Kaigler, commented, "There is an assumption out there that just simply isn't true... We're setting the record straight. This is fact," she said while pointing to a chart supplied to Nintendo by The NPD Group. "We are selling third-party games and they are doing very well, and better than our competitors."

nintendosalesassumptionchart.jpg

In fact, according to the data in the chart, the Wii has sold more software (first-party and third-party combined) than either the Xbox 360 or the PlayStation 3 when looking at the first 19 months of availability in the U.S. for each platform.

Of course, given how well Nintendo's own titles tend to sell, the above chart is no doubt affected by the inclusion of first-party games. At the very least, however, it does show that a boatload of Wii games in general have been sold. We've contacted NPD and Nintendo to see if a chart that focuses only on third-party sales is available. We'll be sure to bring that to you if/when we receive it.

And here we go again. Yes, the chart again tells us that Wii software sells, but this is with the inclusion of first party titles. Again, Nintendo talks about 19 titles passing the 400.000 only in America. If Nintendo would be so nice, just release the nineteen titles who sold 400k plus. And of course a third party chart.

Edit:

NPD: Wii Third-Party Games Really Do Sell

We now bring you the third-party only chart we promised in addition to data and commentary from NPD. Bottom line: Wii third-party games did indeed outsell the competition.

We recently posted a story discussing the state of third-party software sales on Wii, which included a chart from Nintendo that inconveniently also lumped in first-party sales. Well, now we've obtained the proper third-party only sales chart (see below), which does bear out what Nintendo of America has been telling us all along: games from third parties are selling on the Wii.

In fact, when GameDaily BIZ contacted The NPD Group for more data, we discovered that for the first 20 months on the market for each console the Wii comparatively sold several million more units of third-party software in the U.S. than either the Xbox 360 or PS3. More specifically, the Wii sold 33 million units of third-party software in its first 20 months, while the Xbox 360 sold 29 million units and the PS3 sold 20 million units.

nintendo3rdpartysales.jpg

"I actually think that given the number of comments made from industry executives at E3 (or thereabouts) about how they didn't put enough resources against development of Wii games that the industry has realized that the old adage of 'only first-party games sell on Nintendo systems' is absolutely incorrect. I think you're right that the data will cause a few eyebrows to lift," NPD industry analyst Anita Frazier commented.

So where does the perception that third-party games don't sell on Wii come from? Most likely it stems from the respective sales ratios for the three consoles. While third-party software sales comprise well over 80 percent of total game sales on both the Xbox 360 and PS3, on the Wii that number dips all the way down to 56 percent. On the whole, however, because total Wii software sales are so high, even 50-something percent of a huge chunk yields a larger total for third-party sales. But there's still no doubt that Nintendo's incredible first-party success leaves a smaller part of the Wii software market for third parties to fight over. The key, however, as Nintendo has said, is to expand that market so all can benefit. So far, so good.

Cynar

We already know Guitar Hero sold best on Wii. If developers actually try and stop putting out shovelware they can get their games to sell. Haven't third parties been selling best on Wii anyway since December pretty much?

wazoo

Of course, we should remove the inhouse published games for both MS and Sony.

No resistance, uncharted, Motorstorm, heavenly sword, ratchet, GT5P, ...

wazoo

Guitar hero, the lego games

Cynar said:
We already know Guitar Hero sold best on Wii. If developers actually try and stop putting out shovelware they can get their games to sell. Haven't third parties been selling best on Wii anyway since December pretty much?

Sadist

wazoo said:
Of course, we should remove the inhouse published games for both MS and Sony.

No resistance, uncharted, Motorstorm, heavenly sword, ratchet, GT5P, ...
?

Uh... that chart is overall software sales. So first party are included in that graph.

CTLance

Errr. She supplies a chart showing combined 1st and 3rd party sales and tries to use that as proof that 3rd party software sells on Wii? Huh? Non sequitur.

She should only attempt to do that when she has the relevant data, not just throw some purty graph in there and hope for the best. At least that's what I think. "Setting the record straight" is an admirable goal, but it needs more than words to back it up.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
CTLance said:
Errr. She supplies a chart showing combined 1st and 3rd party sales and tries to use that as proof that 3rd party software sells on Wii? Huh? Non sequitur.

She should only attempt to do that when she has the relevant data, not just throw some purty graph in there and hope for the best. At least that's what I think. "Setting the record straight" is an admirable goal, but it needs more than words to back it up.

We had a chart a few months back actually showing the Wii besting both the PS3 and 360 in 3rd party sales with the aligned launches, so if someone could dig that up, we may be able to come up with some reasonable estimates, if nothing else.

Sadist

That's what I'm trying to point out. We allready had that chart with Wii software sales and now this one comes on out and yells "Hai gayz, Wii Software sales are awesome! Look at our NPD chart!" It's incomplete data.

And you get that up there. Hopefully Gamedaily will get the third party chart from NPD/Nintendo.

Weisheit

CTLance said:

Alternatively you could just pay attention...

Flakster99 said:
45.jpg

Running the numbers for 3rd parties:

1st chart - 7.77 million (4.58 million 3rd parties)
2nd chart - 11.61 million (4.87 million 3rd parties)
3rd chart - 32.67 million (19.60 million 3rd parties)

52.05 million total = 29.05 million from 3rd parties total.

Wii 3rd parties = 29.05 million
X360 total = 30 million
PS3 total = 20 million

I garnered these numbers via utilizing the American software figures provided by Nintendo in their quarterly investor relations reports. Subtracted a figure equal to the hardware numbers to remove Wii Sports. This gives me the totals for each quarter minus Wii Sports. I then used the software ratio provided by Nintendo's chart to calculate the total 3rd party sales for each of the 3 chart segments.

Nintendo's investor relations information including the software and hardware sales data per quarter as well as the 1st party vs 3rd party chart can be found here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

CTLance

Weisheit said:
Alternatively you could just pay attention...
Easy there, tiger. You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm more of a Nintendo fanboy myself.

I even made an animated version of all the percentage charts when they were released.
I'm just saying she chose the wrong chart to back up her claims with.

Neomoto

Indeed, a few months back data showed total 1st / 3rd party sales for all systems including PS2 in the first 18 months. AND a 1st / 3rd party ratio for the Wii. Based on that Wii's total 3rd party sales on Wii was more or less the same as the total xbox360 software sold (1st party AND 3rd party) in the first 18 months in the US -- xbox360's strongest market. And Microsoft had first party games in that period that sold a lot too. [Edit]Ah yes, the chart is the one above that is already posted I see![/edit]

What more proof does one need to see that 3rd party software in general is selling well. Also, just in the last NPD month or so we've seen that in the US, Guitar Hero III, Guiter Hero: Aerosmith and Lego Indiana Jones Wii versions all were the best selling versions. And even a game like Rock Band Wii, a "gimped" version that came out more then half a year later, still sold more then 200.000 units in a month were Guiter Hero: Aerosmith debuted and GH III on Wii was still selling very well. Compare this to the far superior Rock Band Xbox360 debut of 311 k in it's launch month, in a november month even. This are the best direct examples between the systems, considering publishers didn't feel the need to release games like GTA IV and CoD 4 on Wii.

Most people who pay attention to Sales-Age should have known this by now...

Then again, her choice of graphs isn't showing 3rd party success, it's showing overall software success, which is a wee bit different.

This is ridiculously old news. The sad part is that the people that constantly argue that 3rd parties don't sell conspicuously avoid these threads like the plague.

Affinity

Well the only game I'm looking forward to on the Wii is Mushroom men. Everything else at e3 sucked. And will they god damn announce a new Starfox title please?

Laguna

Banned
This is something I saw today

THQ revenue - by the platform
August 8th, 2008
* 1. Nintendo DS ($27.3 million)
* 2. Nintendo Wii ($23.3 million)
* 3. PC ($23.2 million)
* 4. Xbox 360 ($20.1 million)
* 5. PlayStation 2 ($19.9 million)
* 6. PlayStation Portable ($10.4 million)
* 7. PlayStation 3 ($6.7 million)
* 8. Mobile ($5.1 million)
* 9. Game Boy Advance ($1.6 million)
* 10. GameCube ($53,000)

Jokeropia

WarLox said:
sweet, can you name them ?
Confirmed:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Guitar Hero III
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Red Steel
Carnival Games
Game Party

Likely:

MySims
Lego Star Wars

WarLox

Jokeropia said:
Confirmed:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Guitar Hero III
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Red Steel
Carnival Games
Game Party

Likely:

MySims
Lego Star Wars

:lol :lol

Redd

Jaded Alyx said:
What's the joke?

He doesn't like the games listed I'm guessing. I only see 4 games there myself that I would enjoy since I'm not much of a party gamer but that wasn't the point Jokeropia was making. He was saying there are good amount of million sellers on the Wii. If you like them or not third party games do sell on that console.

Deku

Banned
So 3rd party games sells, and overall Wii software has outpaced the competition which we already know but why did they only produce a 1st +3rd party chart?

Deku said:
So 3rd party games sells, and overall Wii software has outpaced the competition which we already know but why did they only produce a 1st +3rd party chart?

From the article
We've contacted NPD and Nintendo to see if a chart that focuses only on third-party sales is available. We'll be sure to bring that to you if/when we receive it.

felipeko

Deku said:
Probably because NPD?
They can't give numbers without NPD allowing...

I think everyone knows that third party games sell on the Wii. It just has to be a certain type of third party game. Party games and popular music games are always going to do well on the Wii. As are any titles with Mario in the name. I think third parties can do very well on the Wii targeting these demographics. If a third party is making a brand new action, adventure, fps, rpg, etc game then developing it for the Wii is more of a risk and is something the other consoles thrive at.

D.Lo

Well yes, most of us already know this. But forum posts don't get put on the front page of websites as news.

Microsoft spent months trying to label the Wii as the 'no software selling' machine in their NPD PR and in interviews ('sure it's selling, but I'm not sure how many games grandma is buying' etc) and stuff like that genuinely created the impression Wii owners don't buy games, at least for the vast majority of blog writers and subsequently their commentors. Last month as far as I know MS ungraciously bowed out of the NPD PR war as the Wii overtook the 360's total in the US, perhaps Nintendo feels it's time for their PR to get airtime?

yellowjacket said:
If a third party is making a brand new action, adventure, fps, rpg, etc game then developing it for the Wii is more of a risk and is something the other consoles thrive at.
Exactly which high quality action, adventure, fps or rpg games have third parties released on the Wii? Even mediocre ones sold well (Red Steel, Umbrella Chronicles).

Who knows, maybe top quality mature accessible action games (along the lines of Gears of War etc) are guaranteed 10 million sellers on Wii. There's no way to know, absolutely none have been released.

And of course you are moving the goalposts. Now that third party games are proven to sell on it, the argument moves to 'only crappy games sell'.

felipeko

yellowjacket said:
I think everyone knows that third party games sell on the Wii. It just has to be a certain type of third party game. Party games and popular music games are always going to do well on the Wii. As are any titles with Mario in the name. I think third parties can do very well on the Wii targeting these demographics.
Where Resident Evil fits in?
Oh, popular brand, right? Like most games selling on every consle...
yellowjacket said:
If a third party is making a brand new action, adventure, fps, rpg, etc game then developing it for the Wii is more of a risk and is something the other consoles thrive at.
We will never know if they never try....

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Segata Sanshiro said:
This is where Warlox changes his argument because his first one was wrong.

I fully expect someone to say something like "until you can name me 10 Wii games that have sold at least as well as GTA IV, I assume 3rd party games don't sell on the Wii" at some point.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Numbers seem kind of pointless without comparing actual quantity of 3rd party titles. For all we know what we are seeing is the Wii getting lots of ps2 ports and shovelware and that yes indeed there is a market for those sorts of titles.

If they want to convince devs/pubs about how well 3rd parties are doing on Wii then they should show sales by platform for specific titles, and then figure out tie ratio(for trending) on each.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Woo-Fu said:
If they want to convince devs/pubs about how well 3rd parties are doing on Wii then they should show sales by platform for specific titles, and then figure out tie ratio(for trending) on each.

I don't think it's publishers that they are trying to convince. This is public relations--if publishers want to see the information about what sells where, they just check out the NPD reports that they most likely subscribe to.

Vdragoon

Woo-Fu said:
Numbers seem kind of pointless without comparing actual quantity of 3rd party titles. For all we know what we are seeing is the Wii getting lots of ps2 ports and shovelware and that yes indeed there is a market for those sorts of titles.

devs/pubs already know what they make for each platform. nintendo is trying to dispel the myth to the public that 3rd party games do not sell well. there are a lot of people still in denial/ignorant about nintendo 3rd party game sales.

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:
Now that you've said that, I doubt we'll be seeing him again in this thread. :/

WarLox

Segata Sanshiro said:

What argument ? Has someone be using my account ? All I asked were how many million sellers the Wii had.

But in looking at the list.. and Wii having the largest userbase.. and almost 2 years in its life cycle... that list is gabage. Complete garbage. Out of all the release titles Wii has had.. and only ~11 sold 1 million ?

3rd party games are selling... but in reference to the thread title. 3rd party titles aren't selling well.

Sadist

WarLox said:
But in looking at the list.. and Wii having the largest userbase.. and almost 2 years in its life cycle... that list is gabage. Complete garbage. Out of all the release titles Wii has had.. and only ~11 sold 1 million ?

3rd party games are selling... but in reference to the thread title. 3rd party titles aren't selling well.
A list can't be cabage. Oh garbage.

Now tell me, which games, except for the Nintendo titles and NMH, Z & W and Boom Blox did "deserve" to sell? Tell me. Enlighten us with your infinite wisdom.

WarLox said:
What argument ? Has someone be using my account ? All I asked were how many million sellers the Wii had.

You doubted his claim, he proved the claim, and you laughed at his evidence because it doesn't hold up to your arbitrary standards. That's shitty arguing.

I don't know why I expect more, but I do.

WarLox

yellowjacket said:
I think everyone knows that third party games sell on the Wii. It just has to be a certain type of third party game. Party games and popular music games are always going to do well on the Wii. As are any titles with Mario in the name. I think third parties can do very well on the Wii targeting these demographics. If a third party is making a brand new action, adventure, fps, rpg, etc game then developing it for the Wii is more of a risk and is something the other consoles thrive at.

I agree.. 3rd parties *can* do very well on the wii... but they have to change/make a game a certain way in order to be recieved by the Wii demographic. If 3rd parties just release games across all three consoles, the game will most likely BOMB on the Wii... which is why we have things like this:

medium_20080318-ncaafootball09-easports-michiganstate-sparty-mascot.jpg

vs

MattRyancover.jpg

WarLox

Segata Sanshiro said:
You doubted his claim, he proved the claim, and you laughed at his evidence because it doesn't hold up to your arbitrary standards. That's shitty arguing.

I don't know why I expect more, but I do.

Stop looking for a fight. A question was asked and an answer was given.. nothing more. Stop focusing on me and focus on the topic at hand.

jay

WarLox said:

Wii 3rd parties = 29.05 million
X360 total = 30 million
PS3 total = 20 million

Wii 3rd party games selling about the same as all 360 games is not selling well?

Top Bottom