• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob's Game (DS) - Made By One Person Over 15,000 Hours And 5 years

So, essentially the concept here is that a crazy videogame freak is... challenging you... to play a number of... retro games.

It's like some kind of...

Someone should tell him how things work when you do business. he has to play by the rules or GTFO. No sane publisher or other developer will show interest in this game if he does stupid things that hurt his reputation and like i said dosnt play by the rules (nintendo wants a minimum number of people working on the project or they dont give away the devkits and several other things see http://www.warioworld.com/).

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, he was doomed to never get it, because of security. All places with devkits pretty much need a passcard entry system and on-site security.

If people knew a kid in a garage had a devkit, they could easily bust in and steal everything.

I can't wait till he releases the game and read the reviews about it. He's gotten enough attention and built up enough hype. Now it's all going to crash on him.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Joe Shlabotnik said:
So, essentially the concept here is that a crazy videogame freak is... challenging you... to play a number of... retro games.

Retro Game Marathon?

Retro Game Campaign?

Retro Game, hmm, I don't know... uh... Cha... Cha...

Chalice?

No, that makes no sense.

Sounds really innovative.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Joe Shlabotnik said:

4jx0me.jpg

Frog

Shawsie64 said:
So whats the deal with this dude? cant someone give me a quick recap, pretty hard getting the whole story in a big thread..

Summary:

Robert Pelloni ("Bob") announces Bob's game, a homemade game by a single person developed over 5 years and 15,000 hours. He releases a couple trailers. He is inverveiwed in various magazines. He claims to be contacted by various publishers. The final trailer ends with Bob himself convening the "interdimensional bob's game championship." Inside "bob's game" there is a game called "bob's game" which has not yet been revealed. At the end of the game, you will face Bob himself in a match of "bob's game" as the final boss fight.

Nintendo refuses his application to purchase the DS software development kit. He starts a "100 day protest" against Nintendo on "live webcam" in which he will not leave his room.

Bob's posts become more and more insane, and he rants about destroying Nintendo.

On day 30 of the protest, he flips out and smashes his entire room, destroying his computer, desk, etc.

On day 31 he claims he faked his death, the police showed up, and so on.

On day 32 he is in a "new room," with red lighting instead of green, which is obviously the same room, which he obviously never really destroyed. Without spelling it out for us, he pretty much reveals here that the whole thing was a joke.

On day 50 he vandalizes the Nintendo world store on video, putting his game on the shelf, littering, etc.

On day 90 he reveals a new video, "The Legend of Bob." It basically retells the story of the past 90 days of a developer named Bob who was rejected by Nintendo due to a vast conspiracy, was driven insane, and became a supervillain. The entire blog was apparently viral marketing to set up the character "Bob" in the game as an insane supervillain, who you will fight as the end boss. He reveals that the game involves collecting various game cartridges which you will play inside the game, essentially minigames within the game. The "Bob's Game" within "Bob's Game" is the final minigame.

On day 93 he shows a new video revealing that he didn't really do a lot of that stuff at the Nintendo world store, a lot of it was staged.

It is now day 93. On day 100, Bob will appear at GDC for some new reveals. Bob says he will be releasing the game on DS, even if he has to manufacture the carts himself. I assume this is illegal.

Personally I'm looking forward to it, it looks like fun. It seems like a way to relive the old days, when you didn't really know much about the games that were out there (aside from what you heard on the playground) until you had the game in your hands. Going around with your handheld "BS" gaming system, trying to find new game cartridges, challenging the various NPCs to multiplayer games, exploring the town, etc. As a kid you played games in which you saved the world. In this, game, you'll play a kid who plays games in which you save the world, and then ends up actually saving the world...by playing a game! For me it will be like some kind of childhood wish fulfillment.

My God, I can't believe this thread is still alive. And yes, I know I didn't help matters by bumping it.

And thanks for the summary Frog.

JKBii

Xabora said:
For some reason...

I want this game.
This. My interest was vaguely piqued before, then I lost all respect for the guy, and now my interest is extremely piqued and I plan on shelling out the $30 for this game brand new. It shows how proud he is that he didn't just upload his game as homebrew and let word of mouth do the rest. Now even if the game was made as homebrew I'd play it and I've never wanted to mod a system in my life for anything.

I still think he's too sane to do something illegal though. Just a very good actor.

Jackson

JKBii said:
This. My interest was vaguely piqued before, then I lost all respect for the guy, and now my interest is extremely piqued and I plan on shelling out the $30 for this game brand new. It shows how proud he is that he didn't just upload his game as homebrew and let word of mouth do the rest. Now even if the game was made as homebrew I'd play it and I've never wanted to mod a system in my life for anything.

I still think he's too sane to do something illegal though. Just a very good actor.

Sane or not, problem is the guy needs Nintendo's approval. Regardless of publisher, if he wants to be on DS legally.

Which I don't think he does. The cool thing is everyone thought he was crazy, but he's not. He's just getting buzz (at the expense of pissing a lot of people off) But hey it seems to work)

I'll at least check it out, because of all this drama.

I can't believe some of you guys. You want to "buy" "Bob's Game"? On what platform? Unless Nintendo themselves are sponsoring this, there's no way you're going to see a game trashing Nintendo (or "Gantendo") on any game console. Furthermore, I don't even know if he could get this off the ground as a PC title - Nintendo may have grounds to sue for libel.

There probably wasn't a submission to Nintendo for a DS Devit. I doubt any publishers were interested in publishing Bob's Game. Robert Peloni never even went insane or locked himself in a room for 100 days. He's just some guy trying to make a name for himself by pulling the biggest publicity stunt he can muster, so that he can say "Yeah, I'm the guy who got the attention of pretty much the entire gaming community. Who wants to hire me?"

The fact some of you are still looking at this with a straight face boggles my mind. I bet some of you thought ILoveBees was really hacked by a time traveling artificial intelligence, too.

Jackson said:
How do you know they were really called? Aside from only him saying police were called on his own site.
Because the SA goons are the ones that called the police. If he's good enough to be able to control the Goons, then I'm officially impressed. And also officially a wish-granting unicorn.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sega1991 said:
I bet some of you thought ILoveBees was really hacked by a time traveling artificial intelligence, too.
Wait... are you saying it wasn't???

Segata Sanshiro said:
And also officially a wish-granting unicorn.
I want a Shenmue 1+2 remake with an added chapter to wrap the story up.

Jasoco

Banned
trinest said:
You can't be serious they are awesome.
I agree, it kind of gives him sort of a character trait.

But I still think he looks like a reject from the Black Parade.

Also, called it.

Gee

M3wThr33 said:
Well, he was doomed to never get it, because of security. All places with devkits pretty much need a passcard entry system and on-site security.

This my friend, is not true.

pull yo fuckin head out yo ass bob you piece of shit

OR MAYBE THE PIECE OF SHIT DOESN'T EXIST I JUST MADE YOU BELIEVE YOU WERE ONE BY MAKING IT LOOK LIKE I FAKED IT

And being all "oh i'm gonna be a giant thing at gdc, people will love me" or whatever it was. No help.

Twig

Banned
octopusman said:
Yeah, me too, I think some GAFfers are upset because Bob didn't turn out to be as stupid as they thought and managed to beat the internet.
I wouldn't say that...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't even know what to think about this issue anymore.

Though I do know that whether this actually is some sort of viral marketing for his indie game, just some attention-whoring performance nerdart, or someone with mental issues trying to cover up a public breakdown, it's the most annoying shit I've ever seen.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've been half-interestedly following Bob's Game for the duration of this 'viral campaign' and I've always kinda wanted to play the game, if only to see what it is like. However, from seeing these new youtube vids, I really wanna play it now. This dude has some serious marketing talent (if he's not just backpedaling from his public breakdown, lol), and the previous screens and vids always looked kinda neat to me anyway.

It's amazing how bitter some people can be about this guy though! Give the man some credit, he played us all incredibly well.

epmode

Jedeye Sniv said:
I've been half-interestedly following Bob's Game for the duration of this 'viral campaign' and I've always kinda wanted to play the game, if only to see what it is like. However, from seeing these new youtube vids, I really wanna play it now. This dude has some serious marketing talent (if he's not just backpedaling from his public breakdown, lol), and the previous screens and vids always looked kinda neat to me anyway.

It's amazing how bitter some people can be about this guy though! Give the man some credit, he played us all incredibly well.
I kind of want to nuke posts like these from orbit.

I apologize for bumping this trainwreck again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
epmode said:
I kind of want to nuke posts like these from orbit.

I apologize for bumping this trainwreck again.

Well I want to shoot down your orbital pessimism nukes with my awesome Star Wars laser defense grid of hope.

Just imagine the game is as good as he talks it up to be, it could be a really fun game. You've not played it, I've not played it, let's wait and see.

Mamesj

Banned
this has "Snakes On A Plane" written all over it. Bob-- your antics will most likely not translate to sales if your game ever comes out.

game is actually kinda neat. Well, half neat. It seems like it's Retro Game Challenge + an adventure about asbergers. The Retro Game Challenge stuff is the neat part if you need clarification. I'm playing a clone of Tetris on a fake gameboy on the bottom screen while the people are still on the top.

trinest

Yeah the game is alright- its not the best but its alright.

Decently give it a chance if theirs more then just this demo.

Jasoco

Banned
Long loading times? What emulator are Yuu (Sorry) using? I'm on OS X and using the first thing that popped up on Google, DeSmuME, and it's super fast. No slowdown at all. At least not with this game? I dunno.

So far, it's what I've seen in videos. I like the art style for the most part, but can't help he ripped ideas out of my head. Still, I hope that if it doesn't get published as a real cart, it will still be put on the internet in ROM form.

How the fuck do you get the batteries? Are they in that box I can't reach in the basement?

tenritsu

Banned
Jasoco said:
Long loading times? What emulator are Yuu (Sorry) using? I'm on OS X and using the first thing that popped up on Google, DeSmuME, and it's super fast. No slowdown at all. At least not with this game? I dunno.

So far, it's what I've seen in videos. I like the art style for the most part, but can't help he ripped ideas out of my head. Still, I hope that if it doesn't get published as a real cart, it will still be put on the internet in ROM form.

How the fuck do you get the batteries? Are they in that box I can't reach in the basement?

The batteriese aren't in the basement or garage at all, although you will go to the basement. The hints are actually given when you speak to the mother twice in red font. It's quite clever, and I missed it the first time round as well.

There really are no loading times, and I'm using an Acekard 2. I'm not a fan of his graphical style, but it is alghit I guess. I'm assuming the tetris game is impossible to beat, but yea it's actually interesting.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, so, they're in my brothers room? But how do I get him to give them to me? And yes, I have thought about shutting the power off, but I can't see how.

Why won't anyone spoil it for me? Anywhere. At all.

Jaagen

You need to talk to the mother a couple of times and then turn off the main power(in the basement) Then, you can go up to your brothers room and collect the batteries.

Btw. Does it extend beyond the Tetris clone? Can't seem to beat it.

When you get to Tetrid:
You have to get to 500 points. It's a pretty big pain in the ass, for very little story, then the demo ends. It shows Bob after finishing making a game which is vastly superior to Tetrid. He plans to take it to Gantendo and watch the game practically sell itself.

Top Bottom