• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inazuma 11 impressions: Random battles?!!?!?! In a soccer game?!!?!?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Okay so, I don't like soccer. I only got this game because Level 5 has a pretty good record with me -- two Laytons and DQ8. I only knew a little about the game from various videos and I knew it was some sort of RPG, I had no idea it was like, this full on JRPG.

I have to say though, it's great.

The game begins with an anime cutscene with your main character Endou going pleading with the existing members of the RAIMON (such a cool name) soccer club to come practice with him. None of them care enough to get up and our hero goes to practice alone. He then runs into some rugby team guys and your first "Soccer Battle" begins. The objective was to score a goal on the other team, I failed, but I think I was supposed to so it's okay. It was mostly to get you started on learning the controls, and you will need a lot of getting used to them. As you go on you'll start to have random battles just like this one where you'll have mini objectives like score a goal, get the ball and so on. When you win you get XP to level up your characters and money for training and healing up. Yeah, XP, healing -- it's a fucking JRPG.

The actual soccer portions of the game are all touch screen based, you draw your players routes, kick passes and shoot all by sliding and tapping the touch screen. It seems like a lot to handle at first, but you get used to it. Whenever your character approaches someone with the ball or vice-versa the game stops and allows you to pick from 3 different moves as well as set up other players for defensive and offensive opportunities. Once you pick a move be it a smaller move with more ball control, a more aggressive move with less ball control or a secret attack, you see a little cutscene with two numbers that are randomly generated based on your stats (I think) the higher number wins, and the goes back to the regular game screen. If you fail an attack, your character becomes temporarily immobile. When you want to shoot, you can just tap an area, pick from either shoot, special or uh some sort of lob (sorry I don't know shit about soccer) and off you go.

It's pretty simple really.

Just describing the match gameplay is totally just scratching the surface as to why the game is so good. It is a Level 5 game so all of the following are awesome:

Music -- So good, there is a headphone mix for nicer high quality audio.
Graphics -- unless you're amir0x you will think it looks great for the DS and the special attacks are really cool looking
Writing -- It's corny shonen manga stuff, but it doesn't feel like a bad copy of a shonen manga like other RPG's. I was rooting pretty hard for one of my characters at the end of chapter 2. It's predictable, but fun.

The way the story is delivered is just so well done too, I don't wanna spoil anything but the way they tell the story through the actual things you do in the soccer matches, it's just good good stuff.

If you were whining about the lack of innovation in JRPG's, Inazuma 11 says WASSUP.

Oh, one more thing. Japanese language skills are necessary. All kanji does have furigana, though.

I am really interested in the game, so I do hope they localize it somehow. I would import from Europe if it came out there and not here.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Been looking forward to Inazuma ever since it was announced. It's ordered and on its way, just got a damn weekend in between. Hopefully get it next Tuesday at the latest.

I've heard it's like playing an anime :lol

Desi

i don't really follow soccer at all but the gameplay looks pretty cool in this. Random battles though? At least they aren't full fledged matches, still wished it was practice/only boss battles/soccer school matches. Guess the random battles take over practice?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
sp0rsk FTW: Thanks for the impressions - Inazum Eleven i need to import this game.... sound friggin awesome.

This+ Chrono Trigger+ Castlevania+ Draque 4R = 2nd Half of Win on my DS :D

sprsk

speedpop said:
Been looking forward to Inazuma ever since it was announced. It's ordered and on its way, just got a damn weekend in between. Hopefully get it next Tuesday at the latest.

I've heard it's like playing an anime :lol

It reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally is. I mean I set up this shot for one of my strikers, and then he's like, "Time to whip out the fire tornado!" without me selecting it and I'm like "Fuck yeah!!!" and score a wicked goal.

Game is so fun.

I'm curious how well the game is going to do, since Level 5 has pretty big plans for Inazuma as a franchise.
How was/is the reception/hype for Inazuma in Japan?

sprsk

slaughterking said:
I'm curious how well the game is going to do, since Level 5 has pretty big plans for Inazuma as a franchise.
How was/is the reception/hype of Inazuma in Japan?

Low, but people seem to like it on 2ch quite a bit, I think it will be a slow burn.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
sp0rsk said:
Low, but people seem to like it on 2ch quite a bit, I think it will be a slow burn.

the anime is supposed to air in the next to month i think...should also push this awesome game...

ltse1

Level-5 and Insomniac are really the two devs I respect the most.

Outsource localization for Inazuma, Layton 2 and Layton 3 to reputable company
Finish DQ IX and localize within
Finish White Knight Chronicles
Start work on Dark Cloud 3 immediately

Gamers win.

the-iek

sp0rsk said:
so no instant sales win like layton was? although i am certain inazuma eleven will get e nice boost in october, when the anime starts.

batbeg

dragonlife29 said:
I myself don't like soccer but am looking forward to this game.

Same here. I'm not even a huge Level 5 fan, seeing as how the only games I've played of theirs I found enjoyable but nothing more (haven't played Layton yet though). It just looks really, really awesome.

Random battles? I was expecting this to be similar to the Captain Tsubasa games, as I thought there were only so many ways you can do soccer RPG.

Out of curiousity, have you ever played the Tecmo Tsubasa games, Sprorkrs?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Gosh this sounds fun! With the Eyeshield 21 anime tanking here in the US (stupid butchers), there's no chance the ES21 games will make it here. I want this for my goofy sports anime game fix. I keep hoping because it's level 5, it'll have a chance. I'm really excited for this game.
i11sm1.gif

FFSabin

Seriously this game is RPG to the max, and I love the scouting.

You can either search by talents, positions, elements or using the connection tables :D

And I need to fucking power level now.

Amir0x

Banned
Random battles :|

*shuffles off buy list*

also

sp0rsk said:
unless you're amir0x you will think it looks great for the DS

Hey they look "good for DS", as far as 3D can go on the system. It's easy to concede that point. The argument is just that "good for DS" just means shit everywhere else ;)

just thought I'd clarify, let's not shit up the thread with lowered standards and side debates

DiddyBop

witht he success of the Ds and the increase of localized japanese games being released overseass, i can only hope this game makes it here. been excited for a long time. konami also needs to bring after school boy over here asap.

jvalioli

This seems like something that could be a hit in Europe so even if it isn't America bound we scan still hope that they get it, right?

Hold on, hold on, hold on! Random battles in a soccer game?! Honestly it's like someone made me the ultimate pb& j sandwich in videogame form. Oh and um...thanks for the impressions, I demand to play this game in English at some point.

FFSabin

Theres actually another objective in random battles, right now is either score 1 goal or take the ball away from the other team. The latter which is so much more easier especially with your GK.

Meier

EctoPrime said:
The gameplay seems to be like Blitzball with more options.
I know a lot of people hated it, but I spent probably 40+ hours on Blitzball in one of my 3 playthroughs of FFX. Absolutely loved it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Random battles?!!?!?! In a soccer game?!!?!?
I guess I was the only one who read that and thought the impressions would be negative. :lol

That's a major minus to me.

Ikael

Bring this to Europe! I mean: JRPG + Soccer? It is going to sell as if was the cure to aids in a chocolate bar form.

Althane

How do the RPG elements work? And the random battles?

I mean, REALLY. >_O??

Gah...

And yet I'm gonna get it. Because I love soccer. And Anime. And JRPGs..

God, I'm hopeless.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Wow. Is it like Holly & Benji transformed in a game?

What?!
Are you Italian maybe? :lol

I'm asking since H&B is the italian name for the Captain Tsubasa anime :)

FFSabin

Althane said:
How do the RPG elements work? And the random battles?

Random battles are time limited and is pretty fast especially in the get the ball battles. Each player has an element and it goes something like Wind > Mountain > Fire > Forest (not sure if the patterns are right) each special moves has an element too and they will do better on players with the same element. And I keep losing to the stupid Occult team gah

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dash Kappei said:
What?!

Los Supercampeones for the motherfucking win! :)

Any game that could be considered Captain Tsubasa with touch functionality is an instant buy for me.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Dash Kappei said:
What?!

Holly is Oliver Atom (Captain Tsubasa)??

"Super Campeones" is the name here (super champions...)

Srider

Banned
The story based matches you have to kind of figure out the trick to winning.

The conversations during the match give you hints on what you have to do in order to win. You can't just play it normally and expect to come out on top due to the scripted events. In a way it makes the story matches seem like boss battles, but it can be annoying having to redo the whole match over if you can't complete the list of things you have to do. I guess that's where the challenge lies though.

Tips for the occult team:
During the first half, score as quickly as you can with the Dragon Crush. This will trigger the scene where the occult team paralyzes your whole team and tie the game. The first half will automatically end regardless of how much time is left.

At the beginning of the second half, attempt to score with Dragon Crush again, this will trigger the goalie into doing a special move that stops the shot. A short scene will follow that explains 1 person's kick power is not enough. Now attempt to score again with Goenji using Fire Tornado, and the one other different player to activate Burning Mode. Now run the ball up again with the Dragon Crush guy and it will trigger the scene where they join together to use the Dragon Tornado Kick. After this either score more or just defend.

Chances are the score will be 2-1 as there is very little time to do all of these things in the second half. The key to winning this is to shoot twice with Dragon Crush as fast as you can to trigger the scene where they talk about combining their strength. Then activate burning mode as fast as possible. If you attempt to score with other character before using Dragon Crush twice, or if you don't activate burning mode, there is simply no way you can win the match. Hope that helps.

This is a really packed game in terms of content. It's definitely the top DS RPG game this year, and quite possibly the best DS game this year. So polished in every way, and superbly executed. Don't let the idea of random battles fool you, as you don't play a full match during the random battles. Each random battle lasts under a minute, and can be won as fast as 2 seconds. The exp earned after battle is shared by ALL your characters, up to 32 at a time. So there is basically no grinding, unless you need that extra edge during the soccer matches. Which can be quite tough if you don't know some basic soccer concepts like through ball, or give and go.

I can't stop playing this game, imagine soccer themed pokemon, but with a much less tedious gameplay. So awesome.

Also yes, this game is very reminiscent of Captain Tsubasa, but with more emphasis on controlling more than 1 team members at a time.

FFSabin

Yea I just beat the Occult team 3-1 Shourin actually scored a goal. I can't wait till I can replace Four-Eyes out of the damn team. :lol

Have most of Level 5's games been translated and brought out in Europe or the US? I want to know the likely hood that this will get an english release.

I just think this game in Europe will go gangbusters.

ps. Australia has no chance getting this :-(

Brofist

Eyemus Lutt said:
Have most of Level 5's games been translated and brought out in Europe or the US? I want to know the likely hood that this will get an english release.

I just think this game in Europe will go gangbusters.

ps. Australia has no chance getting this :-(

Probably will be a while before release outside of Japan, doesn't seem to be as friendly to US buyers as a game like Prof Layton.

Top Bottom