• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 Publishers by Game Developer Magazine

jvm

Gamasutra.
This just went up at Gamasutra.

Top 20:
1. Nintendo
2. Electronic Arts
3. Activision
4. Ubisoft
5. Sony Computer Entertainment
6. Take Two
7. Sega of America
8. THQ
9. Microsoft Game Studios
10. Square Enix
11. Konami
12. Vivendi Games
13. Namco Bandai Games
14. Capcom
15. NCSoft
16. Disney Interactive Studios
17. LucasArts
18. Codemasters
19. Eidos Interactive
20. Midway

[For the first time ever, Gamasutra is printing Game Developer magazine's 5th annual Top 20 Publishers report in full - with stats, ratings, and analysis on the top publishers in today's game industry.]

This year's Game Developer Top 20 Publishers report sees an industry changed. Last year, Nintendo claimed its place at the top of the publishing heap, due to the overwhelming success of its DS and Wii consoles, and the progress of those two systems has in no way abated.

This year's list seems to have been influenced somewhat by which companies could adapt with the times, and capitalize on the so-called "emerging markets" of casual and online games. That said, most of the publishers in our top 20 have a decided console focus, demonstrating that the adaptation of new forms of games into the existing model will take some time.

Chart linked to from first page: http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/3800/2008chart.jpg

Various data in there for folks to pore over.

Top 10 publishers by average review score:

1. Microsoft Game Studios 78.46%
2. Square Enix 78.20%
3. Sony 75.76%
4. LucasArts 74.94%
5. Nintendo 74.52%
6. Take Two 74.09%
7. Electronic Arts 72.45%
8. NCSoft 71.00%
9. Capcom 70.91%
10. Namco 66.45%

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BrokenSymmetry said:
Top 10 publishers by average review score:

1. Microsoft Game Studios 78.46%
2. Square Enix 78.20%
3. Sony 75.76%
4. LucasArts 74.94%
5. Nintendo 74.52%
6. Take Two 74.09%
7. Electronic Arts 72.45%
8. NCSoft 71.00%
9. Capcom 70.91%
10. Namco 66.45%

Not a bad list.

jvm said:
This just went up at Gamasutra.

Top 20:
1. Nintendo
2. Electronic Arts
3. Activision
4. Ubisoft
5. Sony Computer Entertainment
6. Take Two
7. Sega of America
8. THQ
9. Microsoft Game Studios
10. Square Enix
11. Konami
12. Vivendi Games
13. Namco Bandai Games
14. Capcom
15. NCSoft
16. Disney Interactive Studios
17. LucasArts
18. Codemasters
19. Eidos Interactive
20. Midway

Chart linked to from first page: http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/3800/2008chart.jpg

Various data in there for folks to pore over.

Should be fucking swapped, if there's any justice in this world.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Stumpokapow said:
Is this average review score, average game average, bayesian game average, or what?
Dunno. I used straight average (add GameRankings per-game averages for each game by publisher, divide by number of games) in the top 20 I did for Edge Online (published in July).

For entertainment value only, here are the rankings I gave in July:

1. Nintendo
2. Activision
3. Electronic Arts
4. Microsoft
5. Konami
6. Ubisoft
7. Vivendi
8. Sony
9. Namco Bandai
10. Sega Sammy
11. Take-Two Interactive
12. THQ
13. Capcom
14. Square-Enix
15. Disney
16. Infogrames (Atari)
17. SCi/Eidos
18. Codemasters
19. D3 Publisher
20. Midway

GDM ranks based on lots of things: revenue/profit, # of titles, review averages, and surveys completed by industry people.

The rankings I did for Edge were based on revenue/profit, unit sales (as available), review averages, and general fiscal trend of last three years, as well as outlook for next year.

I think in the review averages they're not counting online titles (which can tend to bring down a publisher's average, but I still think they should count -- put your name on it, you own it). Also, their data no doubt covers a slightly different period of time from mine.

I could go on, but haven't read the whole thing yet.

(Link to Edge article for the people who care.)

The-Switcher said:
(Ubisoft and Capcom) should be fucking swapped, if there's any justice in this world.
Agreed. Resident Evils, DMC, Zack & Wiki, Okami...

Versus Prince of Persia (which I am excited about). And Haze. And I'm obviously stacking the deck here, but come on!

doktorpeace said:
Agreed. Resident Evils, DMC, Zack & Wiki, Okami...

Versus Prince of Persia (which I am excited about). And Haze. And I'm obviously stacking the deck here, but come on!
and Brothers in Arms, and Far Cry 2, and G.R.A.W., and Rainbow Six, and BG&E 2, and Splinter Cell, and Assassin's Creed, and I am Alive, etc... I know you guys may not like the type of games Ubi puts out but they are very prolific with a lot of very good games.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
A list of the "top 20 publishers" is sort of like having a list of "the best 7 planets in the solar system."

There are so few left at this point that I'm amazed there were even able to fill this list.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't mean to be technical, but what reason would they have to print Game Developer magazine's 5th annual Top 20 Publishers a 2nd time? Why do they have to state its the first time they are printing the 5th annual Top 20 Publishers? Are they going to next year say its the first time they print the 6th annual Top 20 Publishers?

Yes, I know what they are trying to say :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
sammy said:
Capcom deserves to be in the top 10

I agree, Capcom is far too low, they should at least be top 10.

And my first reaction to Actiblizzard at #3 is that they're too high. But I suppose Guitar Hero and WoW, and to a lesser extend Call of Duty, are what's propping them up. All three of those franchises are monster successes.

Ubisoft and THQ are definitely too high though.

Darkman M

djtiesto said:
They've had one of their best release schedules in years, so far, this year.

Ehh maybe so but seems to me most of the stuff they've published as late are remakes,ports or very average games.

Top Bottom