• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Bioshock PS3 Thread of Headless Ken Levine and Too Many Cooks

nvpflv.jpg

987ihf.jpg

legalPopup.jpg

speculawyer said:
Here is how the cooks break down (to the best of my knowledge):
2K Games = Publisher
2K Boston = Levine's team that worked on original Bioshock. Now working on unnamed project.
X-Com?
2K Australia = Other team that helped with original Bioshock. (Dunno what they are doing now.)
2K Marin = New spin-off team made up of some 2K Boston people + new people. Helped on the port but are working mainly on Bioshock 2.
Digital Extreme = Outside PS3-specialty contractor brought in to help on the PS3 port.

Is a PS3 gamer not entitled to the sweat on his Dual Shock?

Didn't see a thread for it so here it goes. My first official thread : )

I'm going to start by stating that a lot of terrific info can be found at the 360/PC official thread. Would you kindly go there for some basic info?

General Info:
Release Dates:
North America = October 21
Everywhere else = Should be out : )
Players: 1
ESRB: M (Mature)
PEGI: 18+
OFLC: MA 15+
Click here for the official website.

Demo:

There is a demo up on PSN based on old code. Be advised that the final game should look/perform better.

A small description (from Wikipedia):

Set in an alternate history 1960, the game places the player in the role of a plane crash survivor named Jack, who must explore the underwater dystopian city of Rapture, and survive attacks by the mutated beings and mechanical drones that populate it. The game incorporates elements found in role-playing and survival horror games, and is described by the developers and Levine as a "spiritual successor" to their previous titles in the System Shock series.

Exclusive Features (from Shacknews). Out November 20 ($9.99):

2K Games revealed new details on the exclusive DLC for the PlayStation 3 version of BioShock.

The company has created "challenge rooms" that will challenge players to make use of plasmids and other abilities to overcome undisclosed obstacles.

"Challenge rooms retain the flavor of Rapture, but they're not trying to retrofit new story or new levels into the original game," said a 2K representative to Shacknews. "We're very, very respectful of the original experience."

The DLC will be accessed from the main menu. A Portal-style timer starts at the beginning of each challenge, and the player will be faced with a puzzle.

One example shown off was a carnival-themed level. The player had to compete in carnival games, using plasmid power to throw tennis balls into crates. The player then entered a room with a safe, where a series of trap bolts protected the safe. The player had to use telekensis to move the bolts, then continue to solve another series of mini-puzzles in order to save a Little Sister from a malfunctioning ferris wheel.

2crkkkz.jpg

A Few Videos:
Launch Trailer
Fort Frolic
Big Pappa

Reviews:

IGN: 9.4
Computerandvideogames.com: 93/100
Eurogamer: 10/10
Gamepro: 5/5
GameDaily: 9/10
GamesRadar: 9/10
1up: A

Spoilers
should be tagged accordingly as this will be first visit to Rapture for most folks in this thread.

Anything info that I should add, guys?

Can't wait to grab this as soon as Gamestop's doors open tomorrow. I saw it on sale at a Hastings store over the weekend but didn't get it considering I already had it paid off at Gamestop. Has a nice slip cover. :D

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Saw this today...almost bought it but Im trying to save some money/time :( Ill try to get it soon though.

Theman2k

I will buy it as soon as it gets to my store.
Problem is there are so many good games comming out in November i will go broke.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
YES! I was begging for this thread to be made!

Thank you :) Can't fucking wait, god I must've played the demo around 20 times now. The non-skippable intro was killing me though.

Pre-ordered! Day one!

kuYuri

The Bioshock DLC has been confirmed to be releasing on November 20th btw. The news is on most major websites.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Strider2K99 said:
The Bioshock DLC has been confirmed to be releasing on November 20th btw. The news is on most major websites.
Uh... it's the 21'th today >.>

Menaged

I don't know what to do :(

On the one hand, I REALLY want to play this game, but on the other, I don't have a lot of money. Since I got my PS3 in August I have a lot of catching up to do, meaning buying some good cheap titles and the next one in my list is Resistance.

I guess Bioshock will go down in price in a matter of few months, and it would suck paying full price knowing that. But I want Bioshock badly! Gah!!

Elios83

Finished a few hours ago :D
Really proud of my 'save all the little sisters' silver trophy =)
After the ending credits you can see the Bioshock 2 trailer.

It's really great, I've read about a few (many) people here complaining about a declining quality towards the end of the game and a crappy ending but I don't agree. Yeah it's true that if there is a little boring part in the game it is near the end
specifically when you have to find the two drugs to escape from mental control and when you have to find the equipment to trasform into a Big Daddy
but overall the quality is always really high, especially for a fps and the ending (the good one I got at least) is short but really effective.
And BTW the art in this game is constantly jaw dropping, it's incredible.

Stillmatic

Great thread! Really loving the game so far, and i'm only a couple of hours in.

Just a quick q for those that have finished it. Can you buy all the weapon upgrades and plasmids by rescuing all the Little Sisters since you get less ADAM?

calder

I'll probably rebuy the game to play it one more time (I sold my 360 copy months ago) but not just now - way too much stuff to play for the next little bit. I'll probably buckle and get it after I'm done Dead Space and Fable 2.

Stike

Played it on my PS3 for a few hours already yesterday. Really got me hooked.

I was able to compare it to Bioshock on XP running on my MacBook Pro (Early 2008) with NV6800M GT (512) and 2.5 GHz Penryn (4 GB)@ max settings.

Looks nicer and a bit "softer" (more organic) on the PS3, also with a smoother framerate, at least when you turn vsync off - but even when off, I never noticed any tearing so far.
Game runs fine and very smooth at somewhere between 30 and 40 fps. Graphics compared to the PC setup above is pretty much identical.

Can´t wait to continue, but had no time for the game today. 5.1 surround kills me anytime. So does Big Daddy. I have no idea how to kill off that fucker in an "easy" way.

Also, still, no spoilers please.

JB1981

Elios83 said:
Finished a few hours ago :D
Really proud of my 'save all the little sisters' silver trophy =)
After the ending credits you can see the Bioshock 2 trailer.

It's really great, I've read about a few (many) people here complaining about a declining quality towards the end of the game and a crappy ending but I don't agree. Yeah it's true that if there is a little boring part in the game it is near the end
specifically when you have to find the two drugs to escape from mental control and when you have to find the equipment to trasform into a Big Daddy
but overall the quality is always really high, especially for a fps and the ending (the good one I got at least) is short but really effective.
And BTW the art in this game is constantly jaw dropping, it's incredible.

any improvements on the demo, namely IQ, framerate, textures?

Yoshichan

a Master Ninja said:
Admit it, who else read "Too Many Cocks" in the title?
Puh, thank God I'm not the only one.
DMeisterJ said:
It's still october >.>

:lol :lol
Jesus Christ :(

Damn it! They are tempting me to buy the game again. Bioshock was the best game I played last year.

2K Games revealed new details on the exclusive DLC for the PlayStation 3 version of BioShock.

The company has created "challenge rooms" that will challenge players to make use of plasmids and other abilities to overcome undisclosed obstacles.

"Challenge rooms retain the flavor of Rapture, but they're not trying to retrofit new story or new levels into the original game," said a 2K representative to Shacknews. "We're very, very respectful of the original experience."

The DLC will be accessed from the main menu. A Portal-style timer starts at the beginning of each challenge, and the player will be faced with a puzzle.

One example shown off was a carnival-themed level. The player had to compete in carnival games, using plasmid power to throw tennis balls into crates. The player then entered a room with a safe, where a series of trap bolts protected the safe. The player had to use telekensis to move the bolts, then continue to solve another series of mini-puzzles in order to save a Little Sister from a malfunctioning ferris wheel.

Stike

By the way, I have no idea why, but the CHUNKYSIZE PIXELATED Big Daddy texture error is there. In my retail version. In full effect.

Looks hilarious. WTF is this shit, 2K? :(

JB1981

Elios83 said:
It's the same. But you get the ability to lock/unlock the frame rate which wasn't available in the demo.

But that dude with the Kratos avatar said the game was improved!

I knew he was full of shit :(

EktorPR

Stike said:
By the way, I have no idea why, but the CHUNKYSIZE PIXELATED Big Daddy texture error is there. In my retail version. In full effect.

Looks hilarious. WTF is this shit, 2K? :(

An already-confirmed Day 1 patch fixes that issue and a couple others.

Menaged

EktorPR said:

I don't get it. It's really annoying for people without the ability to connect to PSN.

From past experience - does the next batch of copies comes with the patch? Is it possible maybe to download it to the PC and from there to the PS3 like a firmwire upgrade?

EktorPR

Menaged said:
I don't get it. It's really annoying for people without the ability to connect to PSN.

From past experience - does the next batch of copies comes with the patch? Is it possible maybe to download it to the PC and from there to the PS3 like a firmwire upgrade?

I know, Menaged: it sucks. But that's the recent trend among game developers...

Elios83

EktorPR said:

The patch arrives tomorrow?
That's great!! Just a few hours after I've finished it :lol :lol :lol
At least it will be good for a second play through :D

Yoshichan

Elios83 said:
The patch arrives tomorrow?
That's great!! Just a few hours after I've finished it :lol :lol :lol
At least it will be good for a second play through :D
How are those trophies going :p?

Zophar

So the framerate stutters from the demo have been vanquished? I'm set to pick this up tonight with Fable 2 so I hope that's been resolved. If not I'll just take it back and take my time on deciding if I want to put the 360 or the PC version in the collection.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Here is how the cooks break down (to the best of my knowledge):
2K Games = Publisher
2K Boston = Levine's team that worked on original Bioshock. Now working on unnamed project.
X-Com?
2K Australia = Other team that helped with original Bioshock. (Dunno what they are doing now.)
2K Marin = New spin-off team made up of some 2K Boston people + new people. Helped on the port but are working mainly on Bioshock 2.
Digital Extreme = Outside PS3-specialty contractor brought in to help on the PS3 port.

Yoshichan

There's this thing I've been wondering about since the demo release, if anyone please could answer?

In the demo, you got the electric plasma thing. Once you find the fire plasma thing, you're able to put it in a slot (5, maximum, I think?). What happens when I've filled all slots? I mean, there are more than 5 different plasmid attacks right?

Elios83

speculawyer said:

I don't know if they should be praised for making the game run as it is using just on the RSX and the Cell core or if they should be ashamed for not even trying with the SPEs :lol

Seiken said:
How are those trophies going :p?

Just 32% on my first play through which was focused on exploring Rapture and going through the main story.
Now I'm going for the rest ( a lot of the missing ones are the camera based achievements).

Sciz

Seiken said:
There's this thing I've been wondering about since the demo release, if anyone please could answer?

In the demo, you got the electric plasma thing. Once you find the fire plasma thing, you're able to put it in a slot (5, maximum, I think?). What happens when I've filled all slots? I mean, there are more than 5 different plasmid attacks right?
There's a kiosk that lets you bank them and swap them out.

Top Bottom