• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews Shaun White Snowboarding [Wii]

Ydahs

Just found some more reviews of the game:

NGamer UK - 8.4
Official Nintendo Magazine - 8.0
EDGE - 7.0
NRevolution - 7.0

Seems to be getting some good reviews, though I imagine this is going to be SSX all over again.

I'll add them to the OP.

The M.O.B

Haunted said:
Good to hear that it's not shit (well, if IGN can be trusted.. :/ ), but it won't be the best Ubisoft Wii game released this month.

Raving Rabbids, bitches!

:lol brownie points for emcee making the post.

Ign 7.0'd that, they had the review up but took it down for some reason.

Haunted

The M.O.B said:
Ign 7.0'd that, they had the review up but took it down for some reason.
I know it's cliched, and I hate doing it, but for Raving Rabbids? Fuck reviews. :D

I'm not kidding if I say that it's the most anticipated title of year for my casual group of friends. Good thing I love the little fuckers as well or I'd need to shoot myself.

This will be fun.

dfi

What about re4?

The M.O.B said:
Too bad even if this game is pretty good, i doubt it will sell anything respectable unfortunately.

I'm already playing a couple games on the wii plus AC is coming so I might just rent it. (haven't rented a game in years)

style IS the only way to get good visuals from the wii

See
Galaxy
corruption
Muramasa
Twilight Princess
Mad World
Brawl

on ps360 it's a whole different story

wsippel

Banned
Buckethead said:
Because that would require effort and monetary resources, not "good enough" for their cash grab.

C'mon you know it's true. A sad truth.
That's not it. The problem is that, no matter how hard you try, it just wouldn't work. Not to mention that it would always look like ass compared to the PS360 versions (for multiplatform titles like Shaun White). Everyone should take that route when it comes to Wii, try to work around the technical limitations. Ubisoft did the right thing - I never expected to actually say that again this generation when it comes to their Wii support...

dfi

The M.O.B said:
I would count that as an exception

although others would argue that game hasn't aged well

iirc weren't there problems with the game on HDTV's??

textures resolution is low and there are jaggies, but even today, its still one of the best looking wii games around. which is pretty sad actually..

i really want to see capcom make a new RE for the wii using its added power and memory.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
No one was reading the extremely positive previews that Matt was putting out. They've been loving this game for a while now, and they aren't the only ones. I was disgusted with this at E3, but it looks okay now.

markatisu

Its good that Ubisoft was able to utilize the balance board, Wii Fit and Wii Ski showed the potential was there. If this sells well maybe Nintendo will get on the job and release a 1080 game.

Does anyone know if the Target special edition also extends to the Wii? I know the PS3 and the 360 have extra mountains but its never been made clear if the Wii got that treatment as wel

Honestly, when I saw this game at the E3 conference I had a feeling that, if done right, it could be pretty good. I wonder if the Wii version will be the version of this one to get....

beef3483

bdouble said:
Still I think IGN needs to stop promoting the "style is the only way to get good visuals form the Wii talk"

Really getting sick of it.

Or thier "no motion controls" crusade. They actually marked The Clone Wars down because of "waggle", while acknowleding in the review that the game actually requires specific gestures for different actions. It's not waggle if thier is a variety of different actions to be performed.

IGN has certain shticks that are getting very annoying, and I hope they don't give the developers the wrong impression.

Fantastical said:
No one was reading the extremely positive previews that Matt was putting out. They've been loving this game for a while now, and they aren't the only ones. I was disgusted with this at E3, but it looks okay now.

I think people were so blinded with Ubisoft hate, that they weren't even paying attention. But this game has been getting positive previews from a number of outlets. Another game to look out for is Skate It. It's been getting a similar reception.

Eteric Rice

beef3483 said:
Or thier "no motion controls" crusade. They actually marked The Clone Wars down because of "waggle", while acknowleding in the review that the game actually requires specific gestures. It's not waggle if thier is a variety of different actions to be performed.

IGN has certain shticks that are getting very annoying, and I hope they don't give the developers the wrong impression.

I think people were so blinded with Ubisoft hate, that they weren't even paying attention. But this game has been getting positive previews from a number of outlets. Another game to look out for is Skate It. It's been getting a similar reception.

Pretty much, as a Wii owner you have no idea how much I hate Ubisoft right now.

Still, if it's good, I might pick it up to show my support for good games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's good, oh yes it's good!
Best use of the wiiboard so far :)

It's no 1080* in terms of level design (pretty straightforward so far, though I'm still on the 1st mountain), and I regret there's no online mode.

Other than that, it looks good, sounds good and it's FUN to play :) It's easy to get into, yet challenging if you want to achieve the objectives set for each course. The immersion is there, the board really adds something big to the experience. Ubisoft will not disappoint you on this one, it's actually so cool you'll regret they weren't more ambitious.

Wiiboard purchase justified +1000, casuals and gamers alike should like it.

I also got CoD5 yesterday and I love it too. This week should be good :)

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I really want to play this, but I was kind of planning on getting Skate It. What genius decided that the two boarding games using the balance board should be released the same week?

markatisu said:
Does anyone know if the Target special edition also extends to the Wii? I know the PS3 and the 360 have extra mountains but its never been made clear if the Wii got that treatment as wel

According to the initial press release, it did.

Firestorm

sprocket said:
this , skate it , and Tales .. Its a good week to be a Wii owner.
Or go with the 360 version of this, Skate 2, and Tales of Vesperia :) But yes, for Wii only owners it's nice to finally catch a break =P

I sort of agree that it's hard to look at this game and not think back to E3 though :(

wazoo

Model 500

I loved how the balance board was used in the more gamey parts of Wii Fit, ever since then I've been waiting for a game to put it in good use, looks like a GET!

marc^o^

Model 500 said:
I loved how the balance board was used in the more gamey parts of Wii Fit, ever since then I've been waiting for a game to put it in good use, looks like a GET!
It plays much better than the snowboard mini game in WiiFit. By the way I just tried the wiimote only set up, not bad at all! Very responsive and clever use of the wiimote . I'm impressed by what they achieved with controls in this game.

Ydahs

marc^o^ said:
It plays much better than the snowboard mini game in WiiFit. By the way I just tried the wiimote only set up, not bad at all! Very responsive and clever use of the wiimote . I'm impressed by what they achieved with controls in this game.
Thanks for the impressions. Got a question: If you've played SSX Blur, how does it compare?

marc^o^

I liked SSX a lot, apart from the tricks system.
This game is very different, I'm a big arcade fan and the board makes you feel like you have an arcade born in your living room. To me there's no better sensation than that :)

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
MikeE21286 said:
Honestly, when I saw this game at the E3 conference I had a feeling that, if done right, it could be pretty good. I wonder if the Wii version will be the version of this one to get....
Your avatar is like a meg.

Model 500

marc^o^ said:

Thanks marc, btw. how is the game suited to Time Trialling? Can't believe the review didn't even mention TT.

Edit: regarding TT: are the "tracks" designed in a way that there's a lot of room for improvement, are there ghosts, what about online leaderboard, etc.

Bizzyb

Banned
The M.O.B said:
???
Galaxy and corruption they gave 9.5's for graphics
Blur a 8 and TP a 8.5

Until you play it in your own room you cant truly say it doesn't stack up to those.

standard hasn't changed as far as i know...

I don't have to see it on my tv to see that it doesn't look as good as Nintendo's 1st party titles, or Blur. I'm not saying it looks like garbage or that the graphics aren't good but I highly doubt they are "9" material

I'm sure had there been more better looking Wii games releasing this fall it probably would have dropped to what it really deserved.

zsidane

pickwick said:
In France, too, this game has had a very good review :

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0000/00009959-shaun-white-snowboarding-road-trip-test.htm

The review also says : "Road trip is his one of the best- current looking games for Wii"

Graphics : 17/20
Gameplay :17/20

I really can't believe that this game has been developped by Ubisoft.
I think Ubisoft owns jeuxvideo.com... (Not trying to say that the game isn't good, but jeuxvideo.com always gave Splinter Cell games the same note on PS2, GC and XBX. WTF??)

sprocket

Banned
Firestorm said:
Or go with the 360 version of this, Skate 2, and Tales of Vesperia :) But yes, for Wii only owners it's nice to finally catch a break =P

I sort of agree that it's hard to look at this game and not think back to E3 though :(

or don't be a douche and buy all of them because they are all good?

I tried playing this on the balance board.

Had to recalibrate it because I was too light for it to detect any movement, and even then it wasn't easy to control. :/

wsippel

Banned
farnham said:
the 360 version got 7.9 from GT

looks like the Wii version really was the lead version on this one :lol :lol
After watching the video review and the two trailers for the Wii version, they not only look like completely different games, the Wii version also looks much, much better. More varied, more fun, and the design is really not bad at all. The humans in the PS360 version look like ass compared to the Wii characters.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
wsippel said:
After watching the video review and the two trailers for the Wii version, they not only look like completely different games, the Wii version also looks much, much better. More varied, more fun, and the design is really not bad at all. The humans in the PS360 version look like ass compared to the Wii characters.
I noticed this too. The character models look terrible on the PS360 versions. And I only enjoy insane-style sports games.

Seeing as this game looked really bad a few months ago, that's one swift change if I ever saw one... Color me pleasantly surprised. I guess I could have to check this out once I get the balance board.

markatisu

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
markatisu said:
Thanks for posting those videos, the game looks so much better than what we saw a few months ago.

Maybe Ubisoft finally put some effort into the Wii

We'll see when Red Steel 2 is finally shown.

Top Bottom