• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Building U.S. Development Studio

Quazar

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21125

Gamasutra said:
Tokyo-headquartered developer and publisher Square Enix is building a new studio in Los Angeles (El Segundo) that is working on an action-oriented game based for an original IP.

Gamasutra said:
According to the career section of the Final Fantasy company's U.S. site, it is seeking to fill several positions for the new location, including the roles of Xbox 360 software engineer, product manager, 3D artist, and more.

Gamasutra said:
The studio's job listings advertised on other sites say that it is looking to "to lay the foundation for a solid development team," calling for software engineer applicants with Xbox 360 and Wii development experience.

Some more new info here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13702599&postcount=119

UPDATE:
So looks like SE has made some moves with new studio.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22767

Gamasutra said:
Publisher Square Enix has licensed Emergent's Gamebryo engine, but has not yet announced what projects will make use of it.

The deal grants the use of Gamebryo to all Square Enix operations worldwide, but it was inked by the company's North American office, which recently opened a development studio in Los Angeles.

"Gamebryo offers a flexible framework, allowing us to develop effectively and efficiently for any target platforms," said CEO John Yamamoto. "Gamebryo's engine provides the ability to integrate our internally developed tools into a proven, stable tech solution which allows for more time to be spent on innovative and creative gameplay."

Not that there is the slightest chance in hell that it's going to be an Evermore sequel, but "original IP" just means that it's not a licensed product. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's a new IP.

Quazar

I'm just wondering how the studio approaches the art/design. Obviously they will have their own western twists to them but will be able to look at the game and think SE in any fashion?

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Kobun Heat said:
Not that there is the slightest chance in hell that it's going to be an Evermore sequel, but "original IP" just means that it's not a licensed product. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's a new IP.
Of course it's Evermore 2. You just don't want to admit that my call for an Evermore sequel on last week's podcast had such immediate (and awesome) results.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Maybe Square could try making a real RTS. That would be pretty cool...like Gettysburg with chocobos.

thuway

Y2Kev said:
Maybe Square could try making a real RTS. That would be pretty cool...like Gettysburg with chocobos.
:lol

Anyway, this just seems like an epic fail in the making. Everything SE has done post PS1 era that wasn't Nomura / Final Fantasy related has been average at best.

I shudder to think what will happen to that company if Nomura resigns.

Yaweee

thuway said:

Anyway, this just seems like an epic fail in the making. Everything SE has done post PS1 era that wasn't Nomura / Final Fantasy related has been average at best.

Dragon Quest 8? How about the DS DQ remakes? Or Front Mission 5?

Then there's Tri-Ace if you count them. Valkyrie Profile 2 is great, and Star Ocean 3 is certainly above 'average'.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
thuway said:

Everything that Noruma made has been average at best though!

Meanwhile DQ8 was excellent

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
10cqkjs.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh can the Nomura trashers and Nomura lovers just shut the fuck up and save everyone the time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dascu said:
The World Ends With You was great, though he only worked as an artist on that IIRC.

:lol :lol

Well obviously I'm not counting things he only designed art for

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Boy, whole lotta optimists around here, eh?

Japanese devs don't have a great track record with setting up western studios, granted, but we get a Maximo or two out of the deal once in a while. Chin up.

-Kh-

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
I guess the question is if this studio will be relegated to B-tier projects...

Well I don't think any A game from the FF or DQ series will be done there.

And I think it would be for the best, if they decide to make new IP games in that studio, unless they are going the way of Nintendo with Retro for example.

Either way, if they are new IP games, or based on other IPs, that the people that work on them are experienced and have a decent background.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I don't understand something. Maybe I'm dumb (more than likely).

We're one month away from 2009.

How can Square BUILD a studio FROM SCRATCH, develop a game FROM SCRATCH and hope to hit the 360 before the 720 is released?

Johann

RSTEIN said:

How can Square BUILD a studio FROM SCRATCH, develop a game FROM SCRATCH and hope to hit the 360 before the 720 is released?

I know this is FFXIII vaporware Square-Enix we're talking about, but if they adapt Western development techniques, such as licensing an engine being more open to manpower and development techniques from other studios, we should see a faster development cycle.

This could be a bad idea gone haywire but hopefully it's the type of globalization SE needs. We've seen in the past where a Western developer like Retro understood and developed a franchise better than their Japanese counterparts.

-Kh-

Banned
RSTEIN said:

The game probably has already just started development, but they might need some more people. I really doubt they are just starting buying the offices, finding out all the people to get ready to start planning about it.

I believe that just until now it came out to light that they have a development studio, so they are hiring now to go on full force with the development which the game might already be in alpha state.

Top Bottom