• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Game Challenge Previews and Videos

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Videos:
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/959/959827/vids_1.html

IGN preview:
Your first game, the very Galaga "Cosmic Gate," is from 1984. You always play the games on the top screen while the kids are shown sitting in front of the TV on bottom. The initial challenge is to finish stage five of Cosmic Gate without using any of the warps that can transport you to later levels. As you unlock games they arrive from following years and boast improved graphics and sound, but they only go up to 1989 and are restricted to what the NES could have produced. Each title comes with its own virtual manual that lovingly emulates the instruction booklets of yore, complete with typos and awkward translations.

There are also game magazines of the sort we would have read in 1985. These rags are pretty extensive, offering tips and tricks for the eight included games, interviews with the developers, and reviews. The games hide their own cheat codes, but reading the mags will expose their secrets. The interface is very friendly so that you can pause a game and check its manual or a magazine without exiting.

The full game list:
* Cosmic Gate -- a Galaga clone with worm holes for warping past levels
* Haggle Man -- a side-scrolling puzzle/action game where you play a robot ninja
* Rally King -- a racing game with drifting
* Star Prince -- another shooter, this one inspired by Star Soldier
* Rally King SP -- the sequel to Rally King
* Haggle Man 2 -- boasts better graphics than the first
* Guadia Quest -- a 10-hour traditional RPG that will remind you of a certain other franchise
* Haggle Man 3 -- the third entry in the series plays a lot like Ninja Gaiden on NES

Retro Game Challenge is set for release in early January and is looking like a promising way for nostalgic gamers to start 2009. If you have even a passing interest in classic gaming, keep your eye on this one. Leading up to its release we'll be showcasing each of the eight included games here on IGN. Check out "Cosmic Gate" below.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/931/931464p1.html

1UP preview:
So the setup's hardly award-winning material, but Retro Game Challenge is all about the games: eight fictional 8-bit titles that are intrinsically simple, yet impressively polished. From arcade shooters to challenging racing games to competent platformers, each one's awash in NES-era sensibilities. And as far as the localization's concerned, most of the games are basic enough to not need a lot of translation work. In some cases, keeping broken English in the games is even more faithful to the time period.

The one game that did need a full localization treatment is Guadia Quest, the collection's uncannily accurate take on classic Japanese role-playing games. This Dragon Quest look-alike's got all the same trappings as early localized JRPGs, from a retro, pixelated font to truncated item names that rarely go above eight characters. Thankfully, the game's also got some modern touches, like dialogue-skipping and autobattle options.

Between game challenges, you'll receive instruction manuals (they even include cartridge-safety precautions!) to help you along, and your companion, the adolescent Arino, frequently provides new issues of GameFan Magazine. The mag's got plenty of coverage on the games you're playing, including both entertaining (if nonessential) reviews and Q&A sections and valuable tip and cheat-code write-ups. While the Japanese version used staff from Game Center CX as GameFan's frequently rotating roster of editors-in-chief, Retro Game Challenge features "cameos" from a few well-known Western game journalists. Expect to see columns from "Dan Sock," "Milkman," and "Johnny England" -- and, though this GameFan's got no relation to the fondly remembered '90s gaming mag of the same name, what would it be without a certain "Dave H."?
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171391&p=39

I can't wait to dive into Guadia Quest. I still can't believe this is coming out here!

mollipen

though this GameFan's got no relation to the fondly remembered '90s gaming mag of the same name, what would it be without a certain "Dave H."?

Not to mention a certain NRX (think Nick Rox).

I thought for sure they'd change the Famicom into a NES for the US release. No matter though, this is seriously my most anticipated game in a long time!

Oh yeah, on topic-ish; has there been any update at all about the subtitled DVDs of the show? Did they ever find a distributor? ='(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Can't wait for this one. :D Looking at the game list, I'm most anticipating Guadia Quest and the Haggle Man titles.

"Holy duck!"

This game is liquid magma hot. I can't wait.

I wonder if some of the other games mentioned in GameFan magazine will be in GameCenter CX 2/Retro Game Challenge 2.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
2gujocw.jpg

:lol :lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Gunloc said:
"Holy duck!"

This game is liquid magma hot. I can't wait.

I wonder if some of the other games mentioned in GameFan magazine will be in GameCenter CX 2/Retro Game Challenge 2.
Not really, but there is a kung-fu game.

Top Bottom