• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (JP)

kiryogi

Banned
In 2000, we had Phantasy Star Online...

In 2006, we had Phantasy Star Universe...

In 2008, we had Phantasy Star Portable...

This winter 2008...

Phantasy Star Zero will be released for the Nintendo DS!

psz.png

Title: Phantasy Star Zero
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Communication RPG
Developer/Publisher: Sega
Character Design: Toshiyuki Kubooka (Lunar, Idolm@ster)
Theme Song: Makenai Kokoro by Okumura Hatsune from Avex
Animation Movie: Gonzo
Size: 1 GBit
Release Date: December 25th, 2008
Score: Famitsu - 8/8/9/8, (33)
Official Site: http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/

Features

- The next Phantasy Star Online title! With Wi-fi online play without pay! Will this be the return of the glorious Dreamcast days?

- 3 races! Human, Newman and Cast! Phantasy Star Online's class system is back! A total of 14 different classes can be picked from gender and race combinations for character creation.

- 3 modes of play: Story Mode, Wireless Play Mode, and Wi-Fi Mode

- Phantasy Star Universe's Photon Arts system makes a return. Execute stylish and lethal moves to take out the enemy

- Action palette, mags (w/ photon blast) and symbol chat systems from Phantasy Star Online returns as well! Although, it's now known as visual chat and you can draw your emotes to your friends.

- PSZ new battle system additions: Chain combos, evade roll, charge attacks. Chain together hits by yourself or with friends for massive damage. Use evasion roll to avoid deadly attacks. The new charge system will be how you execute photon arts and more advanced techniques.

- 16 diffferent categories of weapons, over 350 weapons in all! Examples of new catagories: Shields, Gunslash.

Media

Possible character outfit/combinations:
pszchar.jpg

Debut trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwURS67Kwoo&feature=related

Famitsu trailer: http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1220412_1124.html

Character trailer w/ theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VC0y1YrFY

Online Connection Guide
From Gamefaqs:

You can play PSZ with up to three other people. This'll be a run-down of the menus.

First: To add Friend Codes.
As soon as you press start you're greeted with your character slots. To see your friend code and register other friends, press A on the menu right above Wi-Fi. There you'll see your name, your friend code and three options.

Option 1: View friends.
Option 2: Add friend.
Option 3: Change shown name.

Now that you've got friends (and a Wi-Fi connection, durrr) select your character and go down to Wi-Fi. It'll have the golden emblem, not the silver like Local Multiplayer. You'll be greeted by a prompt, press A on the first option. It's already highlighted. You'll connect and then you'll see three options.

First option: Host/Join Game.
To host a game, click the first option. You'll be sent to a room where you can draw, that's the lobby. When your friends join, you'll see an 'A' icon appear next to the 'Start' icon. Press A to start the game.
To join a game, go to the second. You'll see your friends list! This is the most confusing part that I've found. At your friends list, you'll see four icons.

- Blue background, black person symbol. This means they're waiting in the lobby, waiting for people to join their game. The amount of symbols is how many people are there.
- Green chainlink. This means they're online, but not in a lobby.
- Grey chainlink. They're offline.
- Red background, black running guy. They're in a game.

Now, to join a game. You'll need someone in a lobby. When they're there, press A. Click the first option, and then the first option again. It takes a little bit of time to join a lobby, so if you see yourself alone in there don't pay any mind, you're joining.

Caution: Press A and choosing the first (and only) option on someone who ISN'T in a lobby will delete them from your friends list.

The second option in the main Wi-Fi menu is random matchmaking. I'm not sure what the first red tick is, but the other three are levels. When you're happy with the settings, press A on the two Japanese characters at the bottom-right and you'll start searching. I haven't used this to an extent, so I don't know much after that.

The third and last option in the main Wi-Fi menu is to start a game. Alone. Nobody can join, but it'll notify you when people log onto your friends list and when they make a lobby. It's a good way to play if you're waiting for a friend to come on.

Friend Codes
xfactor : 3523 6015 8875
kiryogi: 5112 7508 2328
Gamergeorge: 4812 1003 0776
Mockingbird: 1419 0798 0293

So this was tossed together last minute. Finally decided to do it since I found out Hong Kong's got it. Play-asia said my copy was shipped today. Expecting it Monday. Yeah, it's supposed to be the 25th, but for anyone else importing it earlier and whatnot, let the party team play begin! To note, from early impressions I've heard, story mode must be played if you want to progress anywhere in Multiplayer. Basically, it dictates what you can do in online. So jp gaf and along, post your friend codes when you get it and let's party on!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
thx, awesome thread for an awesome lookiong game
PS0 need way more love ppl. i`ll be getting the US Version...

Brofist

xfactor said:
xfactor 3523 6015 8875

i am trying to explore the menu and stuffs at the moment...can't read Jpn well

Wow how did you pull the game a week early? Connections at Sega?

Damn. Hope this game plays half as good as it looks. Haven't been this excited about a DS game in a while. And I never played Phantasy Star Online so I'm not sure what to expect, but my god this game looks beautiful.

I'm really amazed how the artists managed to combine so many seemingly conflicting styles in such a natural way. Ya got dragons, robots, gunslingers, aliens, and mages and somehow they all fit. Freakin' awesome.

Brofist

SailorDaravon said:
Actually a bunch of people have already had their copies ship from P-A, so it's entirely possible it's legit.

No announced US release date I think?

Interesting I looked at the PA homepage and it lists the release at 12/25 still. Must have been some lucky individuals.

RpgN

Pitch Black Flint said:
Damn. Hope this game plays half as good as it looks. Haven't been this excited about a DS game in a while. And I never played Phantasy Star Online so I'm not sure what to expect, but my god this game looks beautiful.

I'm really amazed how the artists managed to combine so many seemingly conflicting styles in such a natural way. Ya got dragons, robots, gunslingers, aliens, and mages and somehow they all fit. Freakin' awesome.

I can tell you it worked well with PSO1&2. PS zero looks a lot more like it with added story and chibi characters. So far it sounds very good. If they implement the online part good enough, they have a gold in their hands.

dave_d

So do they still have a monthly charge on the online Phantasy Star games or has Sega finally figured out that if you have a monthly charge people expect something like WoW or Everquest. (Not a version of Diablo.)

Oh well, I say I'd wish that they'd do PSV but honestly given all the bad things I've heard about some of their sequels maybe it'd be best if they don't ruin that series too.

dave_d said:
So do they still have a monthly charge on the online Phantasy Star games or has Sega finally figured out that if you have a monthly charge people expect something like WoW or Everquest. (Not a version of Diablo.)

Oh well, I say I'd wish that they'd do PSV but honestly given all the bad things I've heard about some of their sequels maybe it'd be best if they don't ruin that series too.
No bills for PS0 as far as I know.

kiryogi

Banned
Although it's questionable, as I mentioned in the topic, play-asia is shipping early. I was able to get Tales of Hearts 2-3 days before the actual release as well. Here's my invoice:

Product name Qty. Price/Unit Price
Phantasy Star Zero (Japan, No Region Protection)
Release date Dec 25, 2008 1 US$ 48.90 US$ 48.90
Sum US$ 48.90
Shipping US$ 20.40
Total US$ 69.30

Shipping Type: UPS
Shipping Weight: 0.31 kg
Tracking Number:

Live UPS shipping data
Dec 19, 2008 20:05:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK ORIGIN SCAN
Dec 19, 2008 19:36:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN
Dec 19, 2008 05:14:23 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Shipping Date: Dec 19, 2008

And if you read the opening post, then no, there is no fee involved for the online play of PSZ.

dave_d

kiryogi said:
Although it's questionable, as I mentioned in the topic, play-asia is shipping early. I was able to get Tales of Hearts 2-3 days before the actual release as well. Here's my invoice:

And if you read the opening post, then no, there is no fee involved for the online play of PSZ.

Oops, just saw it now:D So the communication is all "emotes". (Then again how would you communicate without a keyboard. I guess they could enable the mike but I don't speak Japanese.)

So I'm guessing the in game text is Japanese only. (But we'll find out soon enough.)

Prophane33

Getting mine late next week or the first week of Jan. Been waiting for this game for awhile. I have Phantasy Star Portable to keep me busy till then because haven't done everything and I've been getting even less done now that Dissdia is out. Going to definitely get my friend code out there so I can team up with some fellow English speakers. Once I have the game I'll hopefully be able to post something more meaningful. :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
xfactor said:
protip: don't go slay the dragon yet until you reached at least level 10

Coem on, more impressions please if i already own it :-/

OMG, I am SO importing this! I've been playing Phantasy Star online since day one the U.S. servers went up for PSO on the Dreamcast. :D

Souther

Banned
Man, are we ever going to get a traditional PS someday....Everytime a new PS title gets announced and we find that its the "PSO" style...I feel like Sega is shooting bullets through the hearts of the fans of the original series.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
sprocket said:
just announce the Wii version already!

Now you've gone and jinxed it!

This IS Sega remember ...

"Sir, on the forums, they are asking for another PSO on Nintendo console!"
"The Gamecube one did well did it?"
"Yes Sir! The best-selling and strongest community!"
"Well if that's the case we shall release another PSU expansion for PS2"
":'("
"They like PSU don't they?"
"..."

linsivvi

kpop100 said:
Interesting I looked at the PA homepage and it lists the release at 12/25 still. Must have been some lucky individuals.

Stores in some Asian countries have been selling them since 2 days ago. Would've bought it too if I wasn't so swamped with games.

IMG_4031.jpg

dave_d

Souther said:
Man, are we ever going to get a traditional PS someday....Everytime a new PS title gets announced and we find that its the "PSO" style...I feel like Sega is shooting bullets through the hearts of the fans of the original series.

Guess I'm a cynic but I figure if they ever did that they'd royally mess it up like alot of their old IP's. (Ok, so I haven't actually played the new Golden Axe but I hear it's terrible.)

TreIII

dave_d said:
Guess I'm a cynic but I figure if they ever did that they'd royally mess it up like alot of their old IP's.

I co-sign this.

At this point, it's probably for the best that classic PS forever remains in our hearts as what we remembered it for, rather than just be brought back, handled shoddily and causes a huge backlash from the community at large.

Besides, as long as the PSO brand keeps on selling (whatever your opinions about PSU were, it didn't the fact that it still sold), they have no real reason to retire this type of brand.

Frankly, the main reason I could see for them choosing to invest in the DS, instead of the Wii itself, is probably, among other things, because Monster Hunter Tri is going to clean house once it releases next year. No way did Sega want to try and compete with Capcom's monster...

xfactor

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Coem on, more impressions please if i already own it :-/

fine...but this is my first phantasy star game though so pardon me

there's an assignment button thingy. You can map actions to the A, B or Y button (default: A = attack, B = dodge roll, Y = strong attack). you can map a secondary set with the R button too (R + A = use potion etc). In other words, you can map 6 actions in all

there's a mini-map on the bottom screen. touch it to have a bigger grid-type map. useful if you got lost (there are lots of areas)

the speech bubble is simple. there are 2 types, and they are on the right side of the map.

touch the top one and you get to write anything you want to transit your message. thin, thick pencil, eraser, and 3 type of speech bubble (standard, thinking and spiky-shout type). no keyboard

of cause the monsters isn't going to stay still while you bring up the speech bubble to write your stuffs. here's where the 2nd type kicks in. there are preset speeches you can write and use. basically, its for simple and commonly use stuffs like "heal me", "thanks", "help me". Basically its like a in-game pictochat.

there's this bot-like thing call "Mag" or something on your character's shoulder. apparently you can feed it stuffs like potions and weapons to make it stronger and improve its level. i haven't explore this yet

there are lots of weapons, and yes pressing the button w/ timing = combo (up to 3 though...not sure its for all or just the one i used).

about 5 monsters per set per area (each area might have 1 ~ 3 sets).

the only complain i have is the control and the camera. you can tap L and the camera will goes to behind the character though. as for the control, i think its more due to my d-pad being tight as i have just replaced my ds lite housing a short while ago. another is that there's nothing to bring me back to full life when i died on the battlefield and respawn in town. maybe there is, but i didn't notice it (so when i respawn, my hp is 1 and i have to buy potions to recover my hp everytime)

i am not sure how does it compare to the rest of the Phantasy star games, but i am enjoying quite a lot at the moment.

Edit: As I goes deeper into the game, I've noticed some of the stuffs which I wrote isn't correct.
- There are items which revive me when I died, as well as items which allows me to return to the town to buy items and stuffs in the midst of the exploration

Spiegel

TreIII said:
Frankly, the main reason I could see for them choosing to invest in the DS, instead of the Wii itself, is probably, among other things, because Monster Hunter Tri is going to clean house once it releases next year. No way did Sega want to try and compete with Capcom's monster...

Monster Hunter Portable 2G and Phantasy Star Portable disagree with you

mollipen

Broadbandito said:
is this hitting stateside?

Phantasy Star Portable is coming to the US, and that game is selling to a far smaller userbase and has far less of a "catch" than PS0 does.

So, I'd say the chances are pretty damn high.

shidoshi said:
Phantasy Star Portable is coming to the US, and that game is selling to a far smaller userbase and has far less of a "catch" than PS0 does.

So, I'd say the chances are pretty damn high.

Awesome, when that day comes, I purchase another DS.

Ricker

xfactor said:
there's this bot-like thing call "Mag" or something on your character's shoulder. apparently you can feed it stuffs like potions and weapons to make it stronger and improve its level. i haven't explore this yet

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,If it's like PSO,you will come to love this,MAGS are awesome.

TreIII

Spiegel said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2G and Phantasy Star Portable disagree with you

Granted.

But let's not forget that, when it came down to it, Monster Hunter was the clear-cut winner by the end, getting like over 2 million units sold, while Phantasy Star sold less than half of that.

With the DS, PSZ would stand to be the "only game in town", so I'm sure Sega was interested in that kind of venue. :D

Personally, I don't see a Wii PSO-type happening, unless Sega REALLY thinks that PSO's repertoire with the Nintendo-base is something that may give them an edge over their competition. Or at least, it would certainly be the case in the West.

TreIII said:
Granted.

But let's not forget that, when it came down to it, Monster Hunter was the clear-cut winner by the end, getting like over 2 million units sold, while Phantasy Star sold less than half of that.

The flaw in that reasoning is that PSP was far more successful than PSU (the game it was based on) ever was. While MH may have sold considerably more, it is almost undeniable that PSP benefitted in the arrangement as well. If MHTri is also successful, then a PSWii timed to release far enough away from it could also similarly benefit.

ezekial45 said:
Is SEGA still supporting PSU?
Yup, a big new update just happened. And a JP mag recently broke the news that additional content (perhaps another expansion) including the material from PSP is on the way.

Spiegel

TreIII said:
Granted.

With the DS, PSZ would stand to be the "only game in town", so I'm sure Sega was interested in that kind of venue. :D

Personally, I don't see a Wii PSO-type happening, unless Sega REALLY thinks that PSO's repertoire with the Nintendo-base is something that may give them an edge over their competition. Or at least, it would certainly be the case in the West.

But Phantasy Star Portable has sold more than all the PSO/PSU combined.

kiryogi

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Is SEGA still supporting PSU?

The japanese side is more active than ever. They just put up the client for download and keys for only 1,000 yen to purchase. And as merc said, there will be an expansion, but whether it'd be full fledged episode 4 or not remains to be seen. Also sorry about the date, I basically copied my layout from Tales of Innocence :D

Top Bottom