• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biohazard - Wii version "impressions"

cvxfreak

51ANR%2Bn3KfL._SS500_.jpg

After upgrading Biohazard 4 with Wii aiming controls, Capcom delivered an unchanged port of Biohazard 0 to the Wii, presumably because many RE fans back in the day didn't own GameCubes, or got into the series with RE4 Wii or REUC. The REmake is the final game from last gen that can be ported over to the Wii, unless Capcom decides to do the Outbreak games later on.

Like Biohazard 0, the Wii version of REmake is virtually identical to the GC version, including the lack of widescreen support (black bars on the sides). There's only one disc this time, as well as four different control schemes. Zero only featured three, so REmake brings to the table a control scheme that allows you to control the game horizontally with the Wii Remote. Not much else is different though; you aim your weapon with the B Button and then navigate the menus with the other buttons. There is no waggle in this port like was previously reported.

Other than that, I don't know what else to say about this port. I'm still early in the game so I'll have to see if that Grenade Launcher ammo multiplying glitch is still in the game (I doubt it, it was gone from the PAL version over 6 years ago). The graphics are still pretty nice, even if they are pre-rendered. Many next-gen games don't have visuals that look as pleasing as the backgrounds in REmake, so those have stood the test of time pretty well. As usual, if you hate classic RE, this isn't for you (go play UC instead if you wanna know the story -- that game does a pretty good job of retelling RE0 and RE1).

With all the attention turned to RE5 at this point, the only value this port can provide at this point is a sort of back history as to the origins of Chris, Jill and Wesker. I think it's a bit amusing how the boxart for the game is worse than the original GC version's, showing a gigantic artwork of Jill (anyone who's seen the RE5 TGS trailer will know what's up). Still, it's pretty inevitable that Capcom's got future plans for RE and Wii, and RE2 being up next is a pretty decent guess. Still, we've probably gotta wait until after RE5 to see what that is.

It has to be noted that REmake IS AWESOME ON ANY STANDARDS AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT HAS "RE-TANK CONTROLS" YOU ARE MISSING MUCH

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wario64 said:
Box cover art: let's put 2 poorly posed CG characters on front of the original cover art

http://rems.planets.gamespy.com/jap_biogc_boxarts.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ANR%2Bn3KfL._SS500_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Must've started outsourcing their boxart design America.

buffi

Banned
Fantastical said:
You can tell Capcom put a lot of thought into this release, and I'm sure the sales will mirror that effort.

Explain please?
This is almost just a straight rerelease of the gamecube version. Where is the lot of thought in that.

Honestly, whats the point?

MrDaravon

Fantastical said:
You can tell Capcom put a lot of thought into this release, and I'm sure the sales will mirror that effort.

Eh, they're repackaging an old game that will sell to a few hardcore fans and curious first-timers. It won't sell well but I doubt they're expecting it to and I'm sure they'll still make a profit on it. RE:0 I could give a crap about, but this one I might actually pick up if it makes it to the US.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I cancelled my preorder for this a few weeks ago..seems like it was a good choice. No waggle? blah..

cvxfreak said:
Still, it's pretty inevitable that Capcom's got future plans for RE and Wii, and RE2 being up next is a pretty decent guess.
You mean a full remake of RE2? That would be so friggin awesome. >:O

Haunted

cvxfreak said:
Still, it's pretty inevitable that Capcom's got future plans for RE and Wii, and RE2 being up next is a pretty decent guess. Still, we've probably gotta wait until after RE5 to see what that is.
Straight-up port of the N64 version.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
PetriP-TNT said:
It has to be noted that REmake IS AWESOME ON ANY STANDARDS AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT HAS "RE-TANK CONTROLS" YOU ARE MISSING MUCH

funny, yesterday was the fisrt time i played it on a game cube (well, first time i ever played a g-cube) and holy shit this game rocks!...
my friend then showed me R4 and after killing 10 spanish guys i just wanted to go back to the remake

if you have a wii => buy this game

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kasumi1970 said:
if they capcom rerelease this in the US i would buy it again. maybe the could put RE and RE0 in one box in the US.

Same here. Even though people gush over the RE4 Wii controls, I just can't force myself into paying another $20 after buying both the Gamecube and PS2 versions. Maybe one day I'll come across the Wii version of RE4 for $10 and just snag it on an impulse.

But REmake...yeah, I could easily be talked into getting that for the Wii. I'd pay $35 for a double pack with REmake and RE0. And I'm perfectly fine with the lack of waggle, the classic controller support is more than enough for me. REmake is that awesome.

Davey Cakes

PetriP-TNT said:
Agreed x1000.

REmake is survival-horror at its best.
RE4 is action-horror at its best.

I love Resident Evil.

king zell

There is no waggle in this port like was previously reported.

um i just got the game , you can waggle to make the characters on the stand by to shoot mode and waggle again to get him out of it . use the D control in the options

cvxfreak

king zell said:
um i just got the game , you can waggle to make the characters on the stand by to shoot mode and waggle again to get him out of it . use the D control in the options

Indeed! Thanks for the tip! :)

It's a bit cumbersome and only available in Nunchuck Mode, but still, interesting addition.

REmake actually had good controls on GC thanks to the "Type C" controls where the right trigger basically acted like an accelerator. It wasn't perfect, but much better and more playable than the standard tank controls. For some stupid reason, IIRC Capcom took this control scheme out of REZero for Gamecube.

apujanata

I think I will buy this game, since I didn't bought the GC version, and hadn't played the PS1 version. I am RE4 fans, not RE series fans (played RE0, but didn't enjoy it)

I wouldn't mind if Capcom redid both the Outbreak games in one package for the Wii. With RE4 camera and pointer controls. And Wii Speak support.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Scooter said:
REmake actually had good controls on GC thanks to the "Type C" controls where the right trigger basically acted like an accelerator. It wasn't perfect, but much better and more playable than the standard tank controls. For some stupid reason, IIRC Capcom took this control scheme out of REZero for Gamecube.
Yeah it was bizzare, especially since they went to the effort to add the "Type C [accelerator]" controls to the GCN ports of RE2, RE3 and CVX.

If they did a Resident Evil 2 REmake, would you want it to be:

a) A straight remake of RE2 with no major changes to lay out or scenarios, just better graphics using CG backgrounds. All 4 scenarios remain (two for each character)

b) A re-imagined version, like REmake 1 this version would add new rooms, enemy placements and story elements to create a new experience for hardcore RE fans. Still CG backgrounds, but due to development costs and story line continuity you would only get 1 scenrio for each character.(added in this to help differentiate choices a and b)

c) A fully polygonal remake of RE2 using RE4's engine and control scheme. The game would be changed to make it more action focussed like RE4 too.

Personally I want a Resident Evil game on Wii to utilise the Wii's controls like RE4 did. However, RE2 simply wasn't built to have that kind of control and focus on action. I want option (b), but if they're going to remake a traditional RE game and ignore the Wii's controls, then you may as well make it in HD and sell it to PS3 and 360 owners. I'd love to see a game like the REmake made for the HD machines.

Didn't RE0 use more buttons on the controller for doing character swapping and such, so they had to remove that extra control scheme. I'm not sure that's the answer, it's just a thought.

EDIT: When I say "may as well" what I mean is I'd buy the HD version, of course if they could do it for all three machines then that'd be fantastic. No need to leave anyone out, PC too.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Dead Man Typing said:
c) A fully polygonal remake of RE2 using RE4's engine and control scheme. The game would be changed to make it more action focussed like RE4 too.

Yes please.

Dead Man Typing said:
a) A straight remake of RE2 with no major changes to lay out or scenarios, just better graphics using CG backgrounds. All 4 scenarios remain (two for each character)
this.

an re4-esque remake is a disgusting thought.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A mix of "b" and "c" would be one hell of a game.

Rez>You said:
Yeah it was bizzare, especially since they went to the effort to add the "Type C [accelerator]" controls to the GCN ports of RE2, RE3 and CVX.
They didn't do Type C on RE0 because they gave you control of your partner with the C-stick, and in Type C that was the 180 turn.

Gomu Gomu

If you haven't played this game before. BUY IT. It doesn't matter weather you played the original (PS1) or not. THIS IS ONE HELL OF A REMAKE.

dalyr95

a) althought I would like a new area which they had to can due to time/effort (akin to the log cabin in REmake) but no other major changes

Davey Cakes

dai said:
an re4-esque remake is a disgusting thought.
Pretty much. The last thing that RE2 needs to be is more action-oriented.

Though I would totally support a NEW Resident Evil game that just uses RE4 Wii's engine straight up.

TwIsTeD

wow at least nintendo added waggle to mario tennis and pikmin.....love capcom dont get me wrong but i hope we dont start seeing a trend of rereleases involving practically nothing new

Facism

forgive me for this spoiler question regarding Barry, it's been a long time since i played any of the 3 versions of RE 1 i own.

Was there ever any information on the whereabouts of his family after he tells you Wesker kidnapped them, and if they were ever rescued?

Didn't the RE5 producer said that if RE5 succeeded they'd go ahead with a RE2 remake? He said in an interview that it was being considered.

I must admit that after playing my imported copy of REmake when it came out, I was drooling about playing a similar remake for RE2.

EDIT: Yeah, he said Wesker was only bluffing.

Facism said:
forgive me for this spoiler question regarding Barry, it's been a long time since i played any of the 3 versions of RE 1 i own.

Was there ever any information on the whereabouts of his family after he tells you Wesker kidnapped them, and if they were ever rescued?
2zp39c8.png

Wesker lied to him, his family was safe. After the mansion incident, Barry sent his family to Canada (I can't find the source at the moment, but I think it's the biohazard archives) and went to Europe with Chris, to fight Umbrella and make up for his betrayal.

itxaka

Defeatist
NeoGAFFer said:
If you haven't played this game before. BUY IT. It doesn't matter weather you played the original (PS1) or not. THIS IS ONE HELL OF A REMAKE.

Isn't this RE0? The original was GCN only rigth?

Meesh

Damn it all to hell!!! Tank controls I spit on you! *hock-tooey*

REmake on GC was my first RE experience (bought, never rented)...I tried, lord I tried to get beyond the control scheme...Ultimately I failed :( The unexpected change in direction (for me) every time I entered a room or hallway left me a little disoriented... incredible prerendered back grounds and music only added to my frustration and terror...and those crimson heads *shudder*

I can fully appreciate what the pre RE4 era of survival horror does, and why RE4 is viewed more as action adventure horror...

I might...might try REmake again...but dear lord I might need to fall back on cvxfreak for emotional support lol

Top Bottom