• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #198 [AionGuard, Persona 4, Skate 2 and not much else]

Roxas

Not a great issue this month.

Hype

- Fuel
- Ghostbusters
- Wet
- GTA: Chinatown Wars
- Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce
- Demigod
- Race Pro
- Blue Dragon Plus
- Stormrise
- Tom Clancy's HAWX
- Danboru Senki
- The Another world
- Suikoden Tierkreis
- Dragon Quest V

Reviews

- Rolando - iPhone [7]
- Rise of the Argonauts - PS3, 360, PC [3]
- Mushroom Men: The Spore Ware - Wii [6]
- Destroy all Humans: Path of the Furon - 360, PS3 [3]
- Persona 4 - PS2 [9]
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - DS [7]
- Skate 2 - 360, PS3 [7]
- Away Shuffle Dungeon - DS [5]
- King's bounty: The Legend - PC [6]
- Space Invaders Get Even - Wii [5]
- Big Bang Mini - DS [5]
- Burn, Zombie, Burn - PS3 [6]
- Puzzlegeddon - PC [7]

Features

- AionGuard - 360, PS3 - Release: TBC

New secret project from Avalanche (Just Cause), fantasy setting, lots of dragons, wizards etc..Think Lord of the Rings meets Oblivion. Looks f'ing incredible.

- Section 8 - PS3, 360, PC - Release : Q3 2009

- The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - PS3, 360, PC - Release: March 2009

- An interview with Phil Harrison & David Gardner about the direction of Atari

- Time Extended this month is the classic Ridge Racer Revolution for the PS1

- The making of..the Gabriel Knight trilogy! Looking back at Sierra's point & click adventures.

Next Month

the number 78 mean anything?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Wait, what the fuck? Skate 2, 7/10? What did they score the original and what do they say about this one? Lacks new stuff?

Roxas

ItsInMyVeins said:
What's "Time Extend" and "Making of" about in this issue, btw?

Oops sorry, Time Extend this month is Ridge Racer Revolution, and Making of is The Gabriel Knight Trilogy.

as a side note, Persona 3 got a 7 from EDGE, which I really complained about. (Yes, I know I defended EDGE scores as well) Nice to see P4 get a 9, deserves it!

Burai

shitonmychest57
ItsInMyVeins said:
Wait, what the fuck? Skate 2, 7/10? What did they score the original and what do they say about this one? Lacks new stuff?

Could be the on-foot stuff. It was annoying in the demo as it was. If the full game requires significant legwork it could get tedious.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK

reakt

This is worth a visit to WHSmith to read the review of Skate2 (yes, I'll read it in the shop next to the trench-coated weirdos looking through Practical Photography. My subscription ran out and I don't want to pay full price for it). I'm hoping that the frame rate problems that plagued the PS3 version of the last Skate game are fixed in this one.

The US version of Fire Emblem SD will probably have a much better script than the EU version (Which seems to be most reviewers` main complaint) so I wouldn`t take its reviews so far at face value.

Remember how much better Advance Wars Day of Ruin was than Dark Conflict!

Edge: We have to be careful using the term 'casual gaming' around you; you don't think it particularly descriptive.
Phil: Don't you dare, man

:lol

Kafel

Banned
Damn, a worldwide excluse just when I've stopped my subscription because they don't do them anymore.

Fuck you Edge.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Skate 2, a 7? What the...

PowderedToast

I haven't really liked any of EDGE's recent covers. And to the guys moaning about the Skate review, 7 is a great score. It's certainly nothing to be disappointed about, at least from where I stand.

The last Edge covers I liked were the MGS4 and PoP ones. Uncharted 2 had so much potential for a great cover, and you figure Naughty Dog would be all over that, but even that cover was unappealing.

PowderedToast said:
I haven't really liked any of EDGE's recent covers. And to the guys moaning about the Skate review, 7 is a great score. It's certainly nothing to be disappointed about, at least from where I stand.

I've got a mate who's not going to be too happy. Meh, I find it hard to get worked up about Edge scores, I don't even think they care about them. Their MGS4 review on the other hand still pisses me off (in my defence, I had no negative feeling towards it before I played the game, it even raised a few concerns in my mind which proved to be completely unfounded).

Stink

by my maths, this 7 is a 9

skate 1 = 8 (with +2 originality bonus included)
skate 2 = 7 (with -2 refinement penalty included)

fushi said:
:( Any comments from the review? I'm guessing the concept didn't work out as well as Arkedo hoped...
Just read the review, they seemed to like it but the fun wore off. Their problem was that the game doesn't demand your attention across the two screens. Saying you soon realise "in most cases, firing blindly means ou can largely ignore the top screena nd focus solely on the bullet hell unfolding below."

"This is one of the most willfully boutique shooters ever made" I'm going to check it out still.

Anyway, must dash. If you want some quotes let me know what you'd like and I'll get you some tonight.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
PowderedToast said:

I know it's not a bad score per se. But I think that even with EDGE standards the first Skate-game should have gotten a 9.

I'm guessing Skate 2 is just a refinement of the original and adds a few new features, the demo certainly suggests that, in which I agree with the score in principal. I loved Skate and spent an ungodly amount of time playing it but it was never a top of the line 10/10 game.

Some of the harder tricks were almost impossible to pull off with great accuracy even after hours and hours of play (is there anyone who played the original who doesn't feel a dark cloud descend when thinking about Rob Dyrdek and Big Black?), and a few of the video challenges were stupidly designed.

Despite those problems it was still one of the best games I've played this generation when you approach it right. If you just boot it up and piss about for an hour grinding rails and trying to find a way to jump off of high things it's some of the calmest most blissful gaming of the generation. Try and do a few of the later challenges however and it becomes an infuriating imprecise mess designed to destroy controllers.

Can't wait for part two though.

Top Bottom