• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #198 [AionGuard, Persona 4, Skate 2 and not much else]

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
ItsInMyVeins said:
I know it's not a bad score per se. But I think that even with EDGE standards the first Skate-game should have gotten a 9.

The first skate was an incredible concept with great controls (except vert skating), but outside of that the ideas were weak. The score-based challenges didn't fit the game's style, the challenges you had to do in a no-skate area were uncessarily frustrating and the cars/peds/other skaters were poorly designed.

Barrett2

Seems like a thin month. Don't think I will pick up this issue.

Nice to see Persona 4 getting the love. Wish my PS3 was backwards compatible, I would buy this game in a heartbeat.

colinp

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Just read the Skate 2 review, basically comes down to it not doing all that much new. The game feels "slightly pointless"

I kinda felt the same after playing the demo... Still, an Edge 7 is great fun so I might pick it up when it goes down in price a bit.

Oxx

Nuclear Muffin said:
The US version of Fire Emblem SD will probably have a much better script than the EU version (Which seems to be most reviewers` main complaint) so I wouldn`t take its reviews so far at face value.

Remember how much better Advance Wars Day of Ruin was than Dark Conflict!

The story is pretty slight in Shadow Dragon, so I don't think a different translation will make any difference at all to a anybody's perception of the game.

I do pretty much agree with the overall sentiment of their Shadow Dragon review, though.

Troidal

The past few issues have been pretty boring huh? I can't blame them though, there's hardly been any ground breaking announcements on big titles or secret projects.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
freethought said:
The last Edge covers I liked were the MGS4 and PoP ones. Uncharted 2 had so much potential for a great cover, and you figure Naughty Dog would be all over that, but even that cover was unappealing.

Agreed. Shiggy and especially Uncharted covers were lame.

TheGreatDave said:
Just read the Skate 2 review, basically comes down to it not doing all that much new. The game feels "slightly pointless"

Like, "slightly pointless" how? Even if it does nothing new, a new slate of challenges of with an expanded trick set and in a bigger city appears to me to have a gargantuanly fun point.

But I suppose if you don't enjoy the game's style, there isn't a point to any of it. Anyway, I'm glad someone elucidated the actual text of the review. I never understood why someone would just post Edge scores without a summary, of all magazines. It only ever leads to squabbling without seeing the text.

domlolz

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Like, "slightly pointless" how? Even if it does nothing new, a new slate of challenges of with an expanded trick set and in a bigger city appears to me to have a gargantuanly fun point.

But I suppose if you don't enjoy the game's style, there isn't a point to any of it. Anyway, I'm glad someone elucidated the actual text of the review. I never understood why someone would just post Edge scores without a summary, of all magazines. It only ever leads to squabbling without seeing the text.

The main criticisms seem to be the animation,especially the on foot animation and that it's slightly awkward.
Then the addition of the hall of meat,they say,shows a dilution of the original,becoming more slapstick and that it doesn't really fit in with Skate.
The graphics are rough in some areas and some slow down evident during crashes/bails/wipeouts/whatever they are called

They say it's a modest sequel but struggles to justify it's existence.

I love the pixel artwork for the first feature 'Building gaming's future'

BenjaminBirdie said:

The main argument is that Skate was a response to Tony Hawk's staleness and endless sequels, but Skate 2 finds itself following a similar pattern. It's refinements rather than new ideas. I can see where they're coming from, but given that I didn't like the first Skate at all it's hard for me to really care. They say the "Hall Of Meat" mode is a bit too close to the slapstick style Tony Hawk ended up decaying in to, but most their comments are pretty positive.

TheGreatDave said:
The main argument is that Skate was a response to Tony Hawk's staleness and endless sequels, but Skate 2 finds itself following a similar pattern. It's refinements rather than new ideas. I can see where they're coming from, but given that I didn't like the first Skate at all it's hard for me to really care. They say the "Hall Of Meat" mode is a bit too close to the slapstick style Tony Hawk ended up decaying in to, but most their comments are pretty positive.

I figured as much. A "7" from Edge is still an exemplary game.

Hunter D said:
What was said about Gabriel Knight? Possible re-release please.
Regarding a game: "Sadly there's no real movement with Vivendi that I'm aware of."
Regarding a movie: "Lots of 'Let's do lunch' but no 'Sign here'. 'That's hollywood.'"

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
McBacon said:
The first skate was an incredible concept with great controls (except vert skating), but outside of that the ideas were weak. The score-based challenges didn't fit the game's style, the challenges you had to do in a no-skate area were uncessarily frustrating and the cars/peds/other skaters were poorly designed.

I didn't like most of the challenges either, but I don't think they matter when you've got such a huge town and refreshing controls. Just skating around without doing missions is a 9/10 itself -- and I'm pretty damn conservative when it comes to scores. I can definitely see how Skate 2 "only" gets 7/10, since it -- judging from the demo -- seems to be Skate with minor upgrades.

Yeah, but the skate 2 demo is a small slice (a solid slice). There are plenty of other features we didn't even get a taste of, but have read about/seen in previews i.e.:

-the rest of the city outside slappys
-new progression/challenges
-online content: competitive and co-op burnout type stuff
-create-a-spot: uploading/downloading user created challenges
-graphics creator

Probably more I forgot.

Did they talk about these?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hi all.

I live in the US (California to be exact)... Any UK GAF member want to help me out?

I'm trying to get 3 copies of this issue!

Let me know if you can help!

BTW, how was the Street Fighter IV controllers interview? :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
MarkMan said:
Hi all.

I live in the US (California to be exact)... Any UK GAF member want to help me out?

I'm trying to get 3 copies of this issue!

Let me know if you can help!

BTW, how was the Street Fighter IV controllers interview? :D
The Barnes & Nobles near me carry Edge. See if the ones in your area have 'em.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
twinturbo2 said:
The Barnes & Nobles near me carry Edge. See if the ones in your area have 'em.

I already checked... they put out Edge magazines late... They just put Jan 2009 ones out today (Europe had the Feb 2009 ones since the 12th of this month)...

:(

TheChaos

That really sucks that therer won't be a Gabriel Knight 4. But looking at the adventure game scene (or lack thereof) currently, it's understandable. POint and click adventure's pretty much a dead genre. =(

Top Bottom