• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the first time!

Broseybrose

As a relatively new DS owner Ive been playing through the 'must-plays' like TWEWY and Layton (and Ive been LOVING them). Anyway, Im towards the end of day two, which is pretty much still the beginning and I'm surprised at how much of this game is just sitting back and being entertained by the writing, sound, and visuals.

Is that what this series is about? Why do those who love it, love it so?

NekoFever

It's all about the brilliant writing. Although in the first game in particular the music is absolutely fantastic, especially when you're on the offensive in court.

epmode

They're pretty much light, breezy interactive fiction. Entertaining characters, decent localization and a story that actually progresses across the series.

Certainly not the best adventure series of all time as others have said but I like the games lots.

Mantorok

Yes, the series is about great story and some very wild plot-twists. The gameplay doesn't change all that much, and there will be parts when presenting evidence that you could get really stuck on.

It's almost like reading a book, the dialogue and music is fantastic and very addictive, that's why I like it.

wRATH2x

Banned
You will NOT be disappointed,the first Ace Attorney has the best music and great case after great case,and if your wondering why we love it,just beat it and you will get your answer!

Broseybrose

Right on... I dig it. An entertaining, relaxing game is a perfect game to throw into the mix with Layton and TWEWY :) No puzzles, no combat, just enjoy. Right on :D

NekoFever said:
It's all about the brilliant writing. Although in the first game in particular the music is absolutely fantastic, especially when you're on the offensive in court.
Yeah, I still think that is the best tune out of the series.

It's nice when you see before hand where the person on trial is gonna try and go with their testimony. Knowing exactly what piece of evidence to throw back at them before they finish testifying is what it's all about. I'm finishing up the fourth game now and I'm ready for more.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Lucky you! You have 3 more games of that caliber waiting for you after this one. Be prepared to shit bricks at one point in the second one.:lol

Mantorok

Broseybrose said:
No puzzles, no combat, just enjoy. Right on :D

Oh there are some tough moments in the game, some frustrated the hell out of me, especially when you have to go back to the beginning of a particular scene if you screw up.

Broseybrose

What' the deal with Apollo Justice. Do you guys consider that official canon? That would make it the 4th game in the series? SO MANY GAMES ARRRRRGSGSRGGGHHH

Broseybrose said:
What' the deal with Apollo Justice. Do you guys consider that official canon? That would make it the 4th game in the series? SO MANY GAMES ARRRRRGSGSRGGGHHH
...yes. It's the fourth game in the series.

Capcom USA went with a different naming structure than Japan, which just says Gyakuten Saiban 1, 2, 3, etc. Apollo Justice is GS4 there, but they had to change the name here since it no longer stars Phoenix Wright (though you could argue it does, stupidly).

GCX

Broseybrose said:
I think it's on par with the rest of the series quality-wise but I've noticed everyone doesn't agree with me. I enjoyed it a lot.

ShockingAlberto said:
This thread just reminded me that we haven't seen GyakuSai 5 yet.

And now I'm crying. :(
It was announced a long long long time ago but so far we haven't seen anything.. :/

Maybe they reveal it after the release of Gyakuten Kenji.

Broseybrose said:
Yes, it IS official canon. Recurring characters and whatnot.

Ranger X

It is really a game where you get sucked in the story. It truly is amazing and there's some of the best character devellopement i've ever seen in a videogame.

Truly a masterpiece of its genre.

Just sit back and enjoy it. You're going to have so much fun. My girlfriend bought me this game as a present; she'd played them all herself and was telling me to do the same, and I was giving my usual "ehhh" response. After being given it I finally played it, and I finally understood. I am now a massive fan.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the only reason i still own a ds.... fantastic series and like others have said, the courtroom music in PW1 gets me AMPED up :lol

I'm playing it for the first time too!
I actually started with the second one and just now tracked down the others.

It seems a lot easier than the second one which I like because my mind seems to understand what the game wants me to do more. No more having to save and restart due to presenting mounds of "wrong" evidence. On the third case
(samurai)
and really digging it! The
fanboy
is so awesome, I wish I'd been around when that was new to people. What a fun series.

I have only played the first couple of levels of the first game but i loved what i did play.

I just remember when you are on the offensive and cross examining the suspect and the great music kicks in, i was really getting into that part and was excited as hell :D

Supprisingly a fantasticly dramatic game considering the boring perception most people have of a court room.

Barrett2

I really need to get back into this series. I played the first then jumped right into the second, but quickly burned out. I think I am going to make that my next DS game to play through. The characters, music and stories are all so charming.

Lemme just say this: you may be burnt out on the 2nd game, but keep going! The last case is great, and then you have the amazing 3rd game waiting for you. :D

DieH@rd

Banned
I have also started playing Phoenix Wright. I've finished first two cases, and now im at the beginning of the "samurai" chapter.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh yea, play something else in between games.... it benefits from keeping them episodic and you won't burn out on the gameplay that way

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Lateraleye said:
I'm playing it for the first time too!
I actually started with the second one and just now tracked down the others.

It seems a lot easier than the second one which I like because my mind seems to understand what the game wants me to do more. No more having to save and restart due to presenting mounds of "wrong" evidence. On the third case
(samurai)
and really digging it! The
fanboy
is so awesome, I wish I'd been around when that was new to people. What a fun series.
I see you haven't played the insane 20 hours long fifth case.

Yazus

PW1 is my favourite DS game and my favourite games of it's category of all time. The writing is top notch, music is great.

And the saga it's fucking addicting, especially the first one in the serie.
Finding the same characters all over again it's awesome.

Oh my god this topic reminds me how i loved it.

Orgen

I've beaten the game today and I've enjoyed it. The last case is veeeeery very long, but atleast not as boring as the samurai chapter.

I'm going to begin the second game tonight, but I've been told that it's the worst in the series, is it true? How long is it? Chapters?

It seems that the third is the best game, and the last case is the perfect ending for the trilogy. Is it necessary to beat the second game to fully enjoy this last case? Or can I skip it? (yeah, I've heard that the second game is really boring)

Orgen said:
I've beaten the game today and I've enjoyed it. The last case is veeeeery very long, but atleast not as boring as the samurai chapter.

I'm going to begin the second game tonight, but I've been told that it's the worst in the series, is it true? How long is it? Chapters?

It seems that the third is the best game, and the last case is the perfect ending for the trilogy. Is it necessary to beat the second game to fully enjoy this last case? Or can I skip it? (yeah, I've heard that the second game is really boring)

I was told this as well about Justice for All. And each case starts off slow but ends in a great way. Case 2 and 3 are very good IMO. Case 4 you can argue is the best case in any PW game. Do not skip this game. Trials and Tribulations wouldn't be as good if you don't know some of the characters introduced in Justice for all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Much like a good book, I really wish I could read it again for the first time.

I really love the Ace Attorney games. Ace Attorney 5 can't come soon enough.

Xavien

Orgen said:

The 2nd game has a lot of the story, introduces some key characters integral to the third game. I won't say anymore, but you need to play the second game to understand (and enjoy) some of the story in the third.

GCX

The second game isn't really bad at all so don't skip it. The introduction of Franziska Von Karma alone makes it worth playing.

3rdman

I tried "playing" this game and although it is (at times) charming, I found myself back in high school...remember those tests that tested your reading comprehension? Read a paragraph or two and answer questions on what you just read...that's Pheonix Wright.

But I must admit, I only played through the first 2 or 3 cases of the first game an nothing more.

Redd

Ninja Kn1ght said:
The second game isn't that bad at all. It has plenty of great moments. You really need to play them all to fully get the story.

Yeah seriously it gets alot of hate here for some reason. Besides the Circus case the rest were pretty good especially the last one. One case in Justice for All comes back in the third game so you should really play them all. Besides how can anyone hate Pearls.

diss

Banned
Redd said:
Yeah seriously it gets alot of hate here for some reason. Besides the Circus case the rest were pretty good especially the last one. One case in Justice for All comes back in the third game so you should really play them all. Besides how can anyone hate Pearls.
it gets the hate because as great as case 2 and 4 are, case 1 and 3 are ridiculously shit. 3 is definitely one of my candidates for shittiest case ever. also this game seemed more riddled with typos than the others, and it introduced psyche locks which are the devil's work. oh yeah and the music was shit.

but yes everyone should play it anyway

Barrett2

As someone who quit during the second game, I find my problem was the confusing logic behind a lot of the puzzles in the cases. I don't have much experience with adventure games, so a lot of the puzzles are already not very intuitive for me, and this game in particular, things just seemed so arbitrary. That and the psyche locks were infuriating. The second game just had too many moments where I felt like I was randomly cycling through my options to see what worked. I do need to finish it, though; because it sounds like the 3rd and 4th games are awesome.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
One of my most favorite video game series of all time.

I wish I could go back in time and play this again for the first time. I love the MUSIC in this game/series so much! I need another Ace Attorney game!! It's the only reason I keep my DS around!

I remember when I was late to the Pheonix Wright party, what a great time it was.

I'd play the game for about 30 minutes - an hour before going to sleep every night. Something to look forward to at the end of the day. Got the first game because I'd heard a lot about it on here and then bought the second and third before I'd even finished the original. Then I had to wait for Apollo Justice, now the wait for the next one is killing me and I haven't touched my DS since.

I want to replay the series, but it's not the same as the first time through. I envy anyone who hasn't played these titles yet, because they really should.

Also, the second game may be the weakest of the three, but it's still really good. The GAF-lash on anything below perfection always irritates me and it's best to ignore most of the hate you'll read here. (that goes for almost any game, not just Ace Attourney 2)

Top Bottom