• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked early Spyborgs (Wii) videos

Spyborgs (Beta):

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=k3dfAr9eQFY&feature=channel

Spyborgs 2:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ST64hoAzAV0&feature=channel

Spyborgs 3:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RUhTXl27fSs&feature=channel

Spyborgs 4:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ah7Q30l9q8&feature=channel

Spyborgs: Clandestine:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DOFldgPrpwQ&feature=channel

These are from what is certainly to be the now canned original look of the game before it got its supposed facelift.

Very interesting to watch. Gives me a Storm Hawks vibe!

Quickly, someone download and save these before they get removed if possible.

billy.sea

Banned
Ugly art direction, good that they have changed it since then.

Also, this looks like it will be the next Zack & Wiki.

wsippel

Banned
The old art director, Alvin Chung, left Bionic last year. The new art director is Lloyd Murphy, another former High Impact/ Insomniac guy, who worked on Ratchet & Clank as a lead artist. The game should look quite a bit different now. Anyway, I actually liked the old style, but judging by Lloyds background, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

wsippel said:
The old art director, Alvin Chung, left Bionic last year. The new art director is Lloyd Murphy, another former High Impact/ Insomniac guy, who worked on Ratchet & Clank as a lead artist. The game should look quite a bit different now. Anyway, I actually liked the old style, but judging by Lloyds background, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Wow, nice info there! :D

What did Alvin do before this game?

Shiggie said:
There was a reason why it was leaked....

For comparison sake? A sign of the re-reveal happening very soon?

wsippel

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
Wow, nice info there! :D

What did Alvin do before this game?
He was an artist at High Moon, working on Darkwatch. He then worked as an environment artist at EALA for a few months before joining Bionic. Lloyd Murphy definitely seems to be much more experienced.

wsippel said:

...and for anyone unfamiliar with Murphy's work, here's a bit of a portfolio from his website - http://www.lloydmurphy.com/main.html

wsippel said:
I think it might be a combo effect.

I mean, I have never heard of a game series that was made under that bases that it would become a weekend cartoon (and according to wiki its also aiming to play like a "weekend cartoon" with mini games being TV ads that brake up the action). It wouldn't make much sense to have the game and the cartoon look different so I take it that they had to scrap the old art guy in-order to make sure that they could nail down the new art direction of the game.

Im guessing they are aiming to make it look like a GOOD Saturday morning cartoon over a shitty one (which was what I got from the reveal trailer/ screen shots). That could turn out . . . any number of ways. >_>

Oh, and from what I know of the game play Im actually in support of it. It's a co-op game that takes the 2 characters best suited for the level and has them work together. It's kinda like a co-op family game which isn't anything bad . . .

My only worry is that they may not exacute this well enuff. Gameplay wise it could turn into one of those crappy movie games and art wise it could looke like a shitty Saturday morning cartoon (which would than bring about the birth of yet another shitty Saturday morning cartoon).

MarkusRJR

I laughed at the Pirates vs. Ninja joke... :(

It feels like my standards are going down more and more as every day passes.

Capcom dude reacts to the vids, and points out that we should be able to see the retooled game soon :

Yes, those videos many of you saw last week were an early look at Spyborgs ... a waaaay early look from about a year ago, well before the recent upgrades we've made to the game, the engine, the art style. Those videos weren't even gameplay footage anyway. They were all animatics - early blocked out cinematics for figuring out timing, camera angles, animations for various cuts, etc. Those are all meant to be rough and easy to iterate before things are locked down and the polished models, textures, effects, etc. are put into place.

The new Spyborgs is looking really good. When people's first reactions are surprise that those graphics are on the Wii, you know you're on to something. We're excited to reveal it to you all soon. I'm working with Marketing to get permission to post a teaser of some kind: a screenshot, a piece of a screenshot, some character art... anything! I haven't yet found the right thing to bribe them with. Any suggestions?
http://www.capcom-unity.com/d.a.r.y.l./blog/2009/02/11/spyborgs__about_that_leaked_footage

Well, we shall see then.

Updated facts sheet :

Spyborgs combines an extraordinary sci-fi world with action packed 2-player co-op, this original IP is a must-have Wii title for action fans.

A cybernetically-enhanced group of super heroes is set-up to die by a former team member they trusted. When players take control of the weapon-enhanced cyborgs in their pursuit of the traitor, they will come together in 2-player co-op to face over 35 stages of mind-blowing challenges packed with epic boss battles and swarms of enemies that only a team of two can defeat!

In Spyborgs, players select two of the three Spyborg characters and use the motion-based Wii-remote to shoot, slash and pummel their way through hordes of mechanized enemies. With an in-depth 2-player co-op system, players will be able to strategically jump back and forth from one member of the team to the other, rapidly tackling different challenges with their unique abilities.

Players can also experience the frenetic fun with a friend in co-op, which opens up access to stylized co-op finishing moves. This advanced co-op system utilizing the Wii-remote motion control delivers an unparalled, highly interactive gameplay experience perfectly suited for Wii action fans. Spyborgs provides players with a dynamic and fresh approach to beat-em-up, brawler gameplay.

Features:

* Stunning Graphics: Pushing the graphics capabilities of the Wii, Spyborgs will offer a variety of vibrant environments and detailed character models alongside action-packed gameplay.
* Extreme Co-Op: Designed around the 2-player co-op experience whether playing alone or with friends, single players can jump seamlessly between characters at any time to take advantage of their unique weapons and skills while friends can tag-team it to create crazy combos and finisher moves for the ultimate brawl.
* Brawler-style Gameplay: Action-packed, intuitive gameplay for all skill-levels.
* Robust combo system to master: Multiple character specific combos allow players to chain light and heavy attacks to increase their Combo/Power meters and unleash devastating “Finisher” moves and “Co-Op Finisher” moves.
* Upgradeable Attack System: Power-up by collecting “crimson spark” currency from defeated enemies and destructible environments to purchase upgrades.
* Instant Character Swap: Users can instantly switch between two characters mid-combat to utilize each character’s strengths.
* Cinematic Boss Battles: Epic, action-packed and absolutely thrilling battles featuring full-screen, dynamic and wickedly challenging bosses.
* Robust Achievement system: Similar to Xbox 360 and PSN, players are rewarded with an Achievement Title signifying their accomplishment. Taking it one step further, these Achievements also unlock bonus videos, concept art and new challenges in the game.

Source

Would have prefered some video footage to demonstrate those "stunning graphics", but this still sounds promising.

pakkit

Banned
The fact-sheet tells me nothing. They didn't mention the "TV series" angle either...I wonder if they ditched the commercial minigames.

stilgar

A cybernetically-enhanced group of super heroes is set-up to die by a former team member they trusted. When players take control of the weapon-enhanced cyborgs in their pursuit of the traitor, they will come together in 2-player co-op to face over 35 stages of mind-blowing challenges packed with epic boss battles and swarms of enemies that only a team of two can defeat!

Way too much adjectives to be honest.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
pakkit said:
The fact-sheet tells me nothing. They didn't mention the "TV series" angle either...I wonder if they ditched the commercial minigames.

Yea, what happened to the wacky commercials, the minigames, the lighthearted, bite-sized featurettes? This sounds more like Streets of Rage

I really wish a dev would concentrate more on the pointer functionality during games like this vs the motion controls. The pointer is the best feature of the remote and is SO underutilized! Would be interesting to see a combat system designed around that instead of shake

Souldriver said:
I was just thinking about this game the other day, and that it's awfully quiet surrounding it.
There is supposed to be an infos blow-out at CAPTIVATE 09, which will be held in less than a week. Until then, who knows...

Scrubking

Still sounds like the same old uninteresting kiddie game, but now with a lot more positive adjectives to describe it. (Capcom PR loves Wii gamers)

They didn't mention the "TV series" angle either...

After all they hate they got on the Unity boards I would expect them not to. It's probably still there though.

The pointer is the best feature of the remote and is SO underutilized!
Indeed.

dyls

I'm confused. Will the game feature some sort of 2-player co-op? I wish the PR would just make things clear.

pakkit

Banned
dyls said:
I'm confused. Will the game feature some sort of 2-player co-op? I wish the PR would just make things clear.
* Extreme Co-Op: Designed around the 2-player co-op experience whether playing alone or with friends, single players can jump seamlessly between characters at any time to take advantage of their unique weapons and skills while friends can tag-team it to create crazy combos and finisher moves for the ultimate brawl.

Scrubking

dyls said:

The game is primarily a 2 player co-op game, but you can play it by yourself also.

This is the kind of co-op Id like to see more of. Design it with coop in mind so it actually creates the need for someone else, as opposed to slapping it on just so a second character will be running around with you.

Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Shiggy

So I was right back in January, this is the new design:
1905106_557x304.jpg

spyborgs-new-bmp.png

dyls

Scrubking said:
The game is primarily a 2 player co-op game, but you can play it by yourself also.

Twas just a little joke, because they mention co-op like 10 times in the PR.

Spyborgs combines an extraordinary sci-fi world with action packed 2-player co-op, this original IP is a must-have Wii title for action fans.

In Spyborgs, players select two of the three Spyborg characters and use the motion-based Wii-remote to shoot, slash and pummel their way through hordes of mechanized enemies. With an in-depth 2-player co-op system, players will be able to strategically jump back and forth from one member of the team to the other, rapidly tackling different challenges with their unique abilities.

Players can also experience the frenetic fun with a friend in co-op, which opens up access to stylized co-op finishing moves. This advanced co-op system utilizing the Wii-remote motion control delivers an unparalled, highly interactive gameplay experience perfectly suited for Wii action fans. Spyborgs provides players with a dynamic and fresh approach to beat-em-up, brawler gameplay.

Features:

* Stunning Graphics: Pushing the graphics capabilities of the Wii, Spyborgs will offer a variety of vibrant environments and detailed character models alongside action-packed gameplay.
* Brawler-style Gameplay: Action-packed, intuitive gameplay for all skill-levels.
* Robust combo system to master: Multiple character specific combos allow players to chain light and heavy attacks to increase their Combo/Power meters and unleash devastating “Finisher” moves and “Co-Op Finisher” moves.
* Upgradeable Attack System: Power-up by collecting “crimson spark” currency from defeated enemies and destructible environments to purchase upgrades.
* Instant Character Swap: Users can instantly switch between two characters mid-combat to utilize each character’s strengths.
* Cinematic Boss Battles: Epic, action-packed and absolutely thrilling battles featuring full-screen, dynamic and wickedly challenging bosses.
* Robust Achievement system: Similar to Xbox 360 and PSN, players are rewarded with an Achievement Title signifying their accomplishment. Taking it one step further, these Achievements also unlock bonus videos, concept art and new challenges in the game.

Top Bottom