• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's VR headset will have an external display to show users facial expressions. Will also have waist-mounted battery, 120-degree FOV, Video calls

https://futurism.com/the-byte/apple-vr-headset-leak-display-facing-outward
A substantial new leak to The Information both reveals new info and corroborates previously disclosed details about Apple's hotly-anticipated mixed reality headset — which is sounding more and more like a device unlike anything we've seen so far.

For one, the report backs up a fascinating previously rumored feature: a large outward-facing display on the front of the headset that will mimic your facial expressions to make you feel less isolated from the real world.

Building on that design philosophy, a physical dial on the side of the device will reportedly allow users to phase between the virtual and physical world via a color passthrough view.

Apple Eyes​

And at the same time, other features reported by the Information sound downright clunky, like a waist-mounted battery that hooks up to the headband via a MagSafe-like power adapter.

The device is rumored to be revealed later this year and is said to cost an ultra-hefty $3,000, depending on its configuration.

The specs, if the new report ends up being accurate in its predictions, are pretty impressive. The headset will be able to automatically adjust to the wearer's interpupillary distance with the use of tiny motors, and will offer its wearer a luxurious 120-degree field of view.

https://mixed-news.com/en/massive-a...eals-new-details-and-confirms-earlier-rumors/
The most important points in the overview:

• Apple’s XR headset is said to be built from aluminum, glass and carbon fiber and is compact and lightweight.
  • The headset draws power from a waist mounted battery, which can be replaced during operation. This design is said to have been thought up by Apple’s former chief designer Jony Ive.
  • Built in are two processors, a main SoC (M2) and for video processing (ISP), both made in a 5 nm process and offering a proprietary streaming codec.
  • The ISP is said to stream and de-warp the distorted external image from the integrated cameras into the headset with low latency. This is crucial for high-quality mixed reality applications. Here, Apple’s acquisition of NextVR could pay off; there have been similar rumors before. The chip is supposed to use a custom-built, fast working memory from SK Hynix.
  • Additionally, an H2 chip is integrated for ultra-low latency audio transmission to Apple’s AirPod Pros. Conventional Bluetooth headphones are not supposed to work optimally, and there is no jack plug.
  • However, the headband has integrated speakers, but their sound is audible to outsiders, which can be a problem in terms of privacy. It is said to be made of a similar material to that of the Apple Watch’s sports wristbands. For developers, there is supposed to be an alternative headband that can be connected to a Mac.
  • A quick dial comparable to the Apple Watch is supposed to enable a quick switch between the virtual and physical world. The button does not offer haptic feedback.
  • Corrective lenses can be inserted into the headset via magnets if the user is visually impaired.
  • The lens distance is automatically adjusted to the eye distance of the headset wearer via an integrated motor.
  • The field of view is said to be 120 degrees, which would be slightly wider than the Meta Quest Pro’s 106 degrees and significantly wider than open AR headsets like Magic Leap 2 or Hololens (around 50 degrees).
  • Apple is said to prefer hand tracking as an interface, but is experimenting with alternative input devices such as a wand and a kind of thimble.
  • Games are not the focus for Apple, and a gaming controller is not included. Pure VR experiences are to be offered via the game engine Unity as a partner company.
  • The Apple headset can display existing iOS apps in 2D.

Apple bets on XR video calls as ‘killer app’ and offers outsiders headset face​

The Information confirms some earlier rumors, including that the headset will have an outward-facing display that shows outsiders the facial expressions of the headset wearer. This feature is supposed to reduce the feeling of isolation when the headset is put on. The screen is said to consume little power and offer a low refresh rate, comparable to the Apple Watch’s always-on mode.
The Information confirms that Apple will use a 4K micro OLED display from Sony for the center of the image per eye. This is complemented by an LG display in the peripherals, according to earlier rumors. Eye tracking including foveated rendering is also integrated, which saves power by only rendering the user’s exact focus point with all graphic details.

In total, the headset is said to have two LiDAR scanners for short and long distances and more than a dozen inward and outward cameras built in, even detecting the legs of the person using the headset.

In addition to education, one focus of the headset is said to be XR video conferencing with realistic avatars that accurately reflect facial and body movements. Eyebrow and jaw movements of the avatar are to be estimated by an AI process based on available sensor data.

Depending on the configuration, the headset is expected to cost around $3,000. Apple’s contract manufacturer Pegatron is said to have built several thousand prototypes last year, and the launch was originally planned for 2022.

"Depending on the configuration, the headset is expected to cost around $3,000"

If this leak from The Information is legit, Apple is not only going all in with their headset with premium build and features, knocking out everyone else, but it's going to be a kings ransom to buy it in price.

Of course, there are some conflicts with previous rumors but the industry seems to be taking this outlets leak much more seriously, so there even if not everything is accurate, it appears likely much of it might be based on how much this report is being cited by top outlets.

But it makes sense, Apple isn't usually one often to take half-steps, they usually go all-in and then improve and adjust accordingly. But many have always expected, including myself, that Apple would somehow tie this headset to a monthly payment like several of their current devices, so I figure they will probably have payment plans in place to get the mainstream on board.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

waist mount battery should be interesting for all those complaining about cords on another device.

3k lol apple going apple

Last edited:

Crayon

Smart to get the battery off of your head.

Price might seem steep but remember, when you have the best, you automatically get the charge a premium over the already higher price of components.

I'm just going to assume this will be the best headset out but...

midnightAI

Smart to get the battery off of your head.

Price might seem steep but remember, when you have the best, you automatically get the charge a premium over the already higher price of components.

I'm just going to assume this will be the best headset out but...
Surely the problem with waist mounted though is comfort while sitting?

And $3000 is insane also, but I guess that's Apple tax for you.

Imtjnotu

unity!?

Oh Boy Reaction GIF by Laff

phaedrus

Last edited:

theHFIC

I’ll be there day one for gen 2, I’ve been an Apple user long enough to know you don’t buy their gen 1 hardware despite it always being industry leading.

Salute to all the early adopters who will refine it for when I purchase it😁

Comandr

What were they going to do? Partner with epic in the middle of a lawsuit?
Higher than I expected. But no price is too high for Apple and their fans. If I was Apple, I'd just round up to $5,000.

I stand by my previous statement that this unit will not be for general consumers. I actually see this being more of a corporate business product. Can you buy one? Sure. But it’s not designed for you. It’s not for games. Stop complaining about the price as joe consumer. Furthermore, Apple’s pricing is for the most part very aggressive for their given markets. There’s some bullshit to certain. So don’t bother reaching for your folder full of Mac Pro wheels and Pro Display XDR stands.

Apple’s primary consumer products, iPhones($429), iPads($329), Apple Watches($249), and MacBooks($999) all have very aggressive entry prices for the performance and quality of the product. The products I mentioned at their prices aren’t the stripped down version. Each one of them is still best in class. The APpLe tAx argument is stale and tone-deaf. Mada mada: none of this so far takes into account the resale value of these products. Apple devices hold their value far longer and to a far greater degree than most other products in their class, so even if you could argue that the initial investment is high, you can recoup a lot of that when you’re ready to move on from that product. If you consider the various products and their resale value, Apple’s products only lose about $20 of value per month. That’s pretty good.

It’s not uncommon knowledge at this point that Apple’s AR/VR endeavor will spread across a range of devices, including price-appropriate consumer versions.

hlm666

it's got multiple displays per eye lik a varyo.

"The Information confirms that Apple will use a 4K micro OLED display from Sony for the center of the image per eye. This is complemented by an LG display in the peripherals"

So u have a 4k oled centre for what will generally be the most important area, then whatever resolution the lg is to cover the peripheral. Should boost the ppd/ppi seeing the 4k oled will be small.

edit:
this sounds like horse shit, how many prototypes a day were they making??? did they even have time to test them lol.
"Apple’s contract manufacturer Pegatron is said to have built several thousand prototypes last year"

Last edited:

Nvzman

Higher than I expected. But no price is too high for Apple and their fans. If I was Apple, I'd just round up to $5,000.
I get this but like...
VR is niche as is, who the fuck is gonna pay $3000 for a headset even with the Apple logo on it? It's not an every day utility like a watch or a phone....
Idk I just don't see it selling at all.

Crayon

why the fuck do you need to see your face on an external display?

For real, I'm sticking to mirrors.

Oh wait it's for OTHER people to be able to see your face.

But that's even worse because everyone could see your face just fine before you put the thing on.

Robb

Gold Member
This doesn’t sound great. Not that I have any interest in purchasing a headset anyway, but a headset that doesn’t focus on games sounds particularly worthless.

Although I’d guess Apple will have a lot of proprietary software in mind for it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Not surprising it cost 3K as Apple proved that people will buy anything at any price when they sold the Mac Pro Wheels.

pasterpl

Wondering if the waist battery unit would also contain some extra bits to make the headset itself smaller and lighter.

Last edited:

phaedrus

a headset that doesn’t focus on games sounds particularly worthless.
WBkstNJ.gif

Robb

Gold Member
WBkstNJ.gif

Not sure what to tell you, none of that stuff interest me in the slightest.

Apple’s primary consumer products, iPhones($429), iPads($329), Apple Watches($249), and MacBooks($999) all have very aggressive entry prices for the performance and quality of the product. The products I mentioned at their prices aren’t the stripped down version. Each one of them is still best in class. The APpLe tAx argument is stale and tone-deaf. Mada mada: none of this so far takes into account the resale value of these products. Apple devices hold their value far longer and to a far greater degree than most other products in their class, so even if you could argue that the initial investment is high, you can recoup a lot of that when you’re ready to move on from that product. If you consider the various products and their resale value, Apple’s products only lose about $20 of value per month. That’s pretty good.
While it's not as much as it used to be, there's still an Apple Tax on many of their products. While some of it is justified with Apple's superior features or quality, most of it is due to brand recognition.

I agree to some extent that using the "Apple Tax" as an argument has become a bit stale though. Of course that's due to it's competitors. Apple used to have innovative advantages such as Apple Pay and security, but that's no longer the case. In many ways, Samsung has surpassed Apple in hardware features, and Mac can't seem to get more than around 10% of the marketshare.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
https://futurism.com/the-byte/apple-vr-headset-leak-display-facing-outward

https://mixed-news.com/en/massive-a...eals-new-details-and-confirms-earlier-rumors/

"Depending on the configuration, the headset is expected to cost around $3,000"

If this leak from The Information is legit, Apple is not only going all in with their headset with premium build and features, knocking out everyone else, but it's going to be a kings ransom to buy it in price.

Of course, there are some conflicts with previous rumors but the industry seems to be taking this outlets leak much more seriously, so there even if not everything is accurate, it appears likely much of it might be based on how much this report is being cited by top outlets.

But it makes sense, Apple isn't usually one often to take half-steps, they usually go all-in and then improve and adjust accordingly. But many have always expected, including myself, that Apple would somehow tie this headset to a monthly payment like several of their current devices, so I figure they will probably have payment plans in place to get the mainstream on board.
Pride is quite high and then you add corrective lenses, AirPods Pro, etc..: anyways… we need something that kickstarts it to the next level.

Reading the “payment plans … to make it affordable for the mainstream…” but makes me a bit sad as it encourages the ideas that piling up debt allows you to afford more things a bit…

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Barebones unit: $3000
External display: $1500
Waist-mounted battery: optional for people with thin necks, $2000
Corrective lenses for the visually impaired: $300 per eye. Optometrist prescription required. Free optometrist check with every Mac or iPhone purchase over $1000
Additional headbands and straps: $30 each

Top Bottom