• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's top 100 game creators

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Over the years, we've certainly done our fair share of Top 100 Games lists. One thing we haven't done as grandly, though, is recognize the people who made it possible for us to play all those great games in the first place. Then again, there's a first time for everything isn't there?

That's right dear readers, in an effort to celebrate the entertainment masterminds of our industry, your pals at IGN.com com have assembled the ultimate list of creative game geniuses. It's our way of saying "thanks" to the people whose vision and drive have brought us some of the most engrossing, amusing and artistic experiences we've ever had with our TVs and monitors.

Plus, we love to watch people argue.

"How do you determine who goes on your list," you ask? It's simple, really. Here's how we paired down who could and could not appear on our list of...

The Top 100 Game Creators of All Time

* The list is comprised of individual game developers. In some cases, two creators have been listed together because of how closely the pair worked together in their contributions to our industry.
* We define a game creator as anyone who contributes to the creative or technical development process of a game. This can include (but is not limited to) artists, sound engineers, composers, programmers, planners, designers, and producers.
* People who have served primarily as executives are not included, but people who started off in development and eventually became executives can qualify if their pre-executive contributions were important enough to get them on our list. So Sony fans, don't complain because Kaz Hirai isn't on the list!
* Only game developers have been listed here. Hardware or peripheral creators were not included. In some cases, if hardware/software were all-in-one units like Pong or other pre-'80s videogame platforms, we count the people worked on them as "game creators."

http://games.ign.com/top-100-game-creators/index.html

10. John Carmack
9. Yu Suzuki
8. Ralph Baer
7. Shinji Mikami
6. Hideo Kojima
5. Gunpei Yokoi
4. Hironobu Sakaguchi
3. Will Wright
2. Sid Meier
1. Brian Reynolds
lol just kidding, it's the wii fit guy

stuminus3

Well, that wasn't a difficult selection for #1. Nobody in the videogame arena has proven as innovative and irrefutably influential as Nintendo's legendary game designer, Shigeru Miyamoto. I'd say he earned the top pick because he has successfully created pioneering, industry-shaping videogames and hardware for nearly three decades. His contributions have been blatantly copied by competitors just as much as they've been applauded by players around the world.

DMczaf

Roberta-Williams_Bio-200x-3boxart_160w.jpg

Come back Roberta :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
CiSTM said:
Peter Molyneux and Richard Garriott not in top 10 ? What the fuck is this shit ?
They're 18 and 11 respectively. It's not a bad list actually, extra props to IGN for having people like Larry Holland, Ron Gilbert, Roberta Williams, and Dani Berry on the list.

Though I'm sure the usual suspects will be outraged at Jaffe being only 71.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
lol, the idea of top 100 lists are just so stupid to me. How can anyone honestly distinguish what makes number 67 better than number 68, but not as good as 66?

They're just huge cluster fucks, basically.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Rez said:
lol, the idea of top 100 lists are just so stupid to me. How can anyone honestly distinguish what makes number 67 better than number 68, but not as good as 66?

It's dumb, the source is awful, but at least there are a lot of names on this list that never get talked about at all.

XiaNaphryz

Musashi Wins! said:
It's dumb, the source is awful, but at least there are a lot of names on this list that never get talked about at all.
Which is the only reason I said it's not a bad list, and unless you've been following gaming since the beginning (or at least keep up with its history/older games) you're not going to recognize a lot of them. Just take away any mention of rankings and read through.

Zophar

Rez said:

Truncate it into chunks of 10s. 50-60 are more influential than those at 70-80, though the individual numbers might as well be interchangable. Gets lots of people that deserve recognition mentioned.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
25. Yoshiaki Koizumi
36. Eiji Aonuma
53. Takashi Tezuka

I call shenanigans. Tezuka deserves to be WAAAAAAAY higher up in general, let alone above his less impressive apprentices.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Musashi Wins! said:
Zophar said:
Truncate it into chunks of 10s. 50-60 are more influential than those at 70-80, though the individual numbers might as well be interchangable. Gets lots of people that deserve recognition mentioned.
Those are actually good points, touche.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Meh not bad, could be worse.

Not that i agree with the whole list, but seeing some "less known" names there makes me happy.

I actually (and honestly) clicked this thread thinking "hey I wonder if Brian Reynolds will get the #1 spot, I'd put him there".

nice work OP ! :D

PSGames

Darunia said:
50. Keiji Inafune

wat

yeah that's some bullshit right there. The man created Street Fighter, Mega Man, Onimusha, Dead Rising and Lost Planet!

Edit: 56. Hideki Kamiya

What. The. F*ck.

XiaNaphryz

Haunted said:
IGN fucking sucks.

Where are Ancel and Schafer? Not giving them one click.
Err, Ancel is 24 and Schafer's 21.
apotema said:
The idea if having Will Wright and Sid Meier ahead of Yokoi and Kojima makes me want to puke
Their body of work alone at least makes them on-par. Again, forget the numbers and take the suggestion of reading the list as tiers of 10.

apujanata

apotema said:
The idea if having Will Wright and Sid Meier ahead of Yokoi and Kojima makes me want to puke
Are you console only gamer ? If yes, that explain your opinion.
As someone who played games on PC before console, I am NOT surprised that Sid Meier and Will Wright (most of their games are on PC in 1980's and 1990's) are higher than Gunpei Yokoi and Hideo Kojima.

Jazzem

No Yuzo Koshiro? :(

Seems like a decent list otherwise, though it's probably best not to take the order too literally.

Someone please tell me I just missed Yoshio Sakamoto, because the layout of that article is fucking terrible and I'm not clicking through the entire list again to check.

ianp622

If I don't find Fumito Ueda on this list, I am going to be PISSED.

EDIT: #46!?!?! He should be at least in the top 20.

Top Bottom