• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's top 100 game creators

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
White Man said:
Where did Warren Spector rank? Is there not an index page? Man, fuck IGN.

I quickly clicked through the whole thing so I can just glance through my browser history and have it all listed.

White Man

They put Harvey Smith ahead of Ken Levine? They put the dude that gave us Deus Ex 2 over the dude that gave us Bioshock.

I thought the top ten was great. So happy Mikami made it, totally deserves it.

Of course Miyamoto is without question, the best, most influencial game designer in the history of this medium and I wonder if anyone will ever come along that can do what this man did. Without him the grand majority of us would not be on this site discussing games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MiamiWesker said:
Of course Miyamoto is without question, the best, most influencial game designer in the history of this medium and I wonder if anyone will ever come along that can do what this man did. Without him the grand majority of us would not be on this site discussing games.
Truth.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Why does IGN always do lists of 100? Is it supposed to hold more weight or be closer to an 'all encompassing' ranking or something?

apotema said:
The idea if having Will Wright and Sid Meier ahead of Yokoi and Kojima makes me want to puke
What a childish thing to say. If IGN thinks Wright and Meier are 'better creators' or whatever this list is trying to say, they are well within their right to rank them as such.

Choabac

100. Ed Boon
99. Toru Iwatani
98. Yoji Shinkawa
97. Koichi Ishii
96. Jason Rubin
95. Allan Alcorn
94. Chris Sawyer
93. Chris Roberts
92. Danielle Bunten Berry
91. Masahiro Sakurai
90. Graeme Devine
89. Feargus Urquhart
88. Steve Barcia
87. Satoru Iwata
86. Jeremy Soule
85. Tim Cain
84. Tetsuya Nomura
83. Tetsuya Mizuguchi
82. Jason Kapalka
81. Ron Gilbert
80. Chris Avellone
79. Marc Blank
78. Louis Castle
77. Yoshitaka Amano
76. Tomonobu Itagaki
75. Mathieu Ferland
74. Akira Toriyama
73. David Grossman
72. Alex Ward
71. David Jaffe
70. Todd Howard
69. Satoshi Tajiri
68. Marty O'Donnell
67. Akira Yasuda
66. Nick Gollop and Julian Gollop
65. Masaya Matsuura
64. Jonty Barnes
63. Eugene Jarvis
62. Stieg Hedlund
61. Jason West
60. Jordan Mechner
59. Yasunori Mitsuda
58. Jeronimo Barrera
57. Bruce Shelley
56. Hideki Kamiya
55. Koji Igarashi
54. Jordan Weisman
53. Takashi Tezuka
52. Yuji Horii
51. David Perry
50. Keiji Inafune
49. Atsushi Inaba
48. Scott Orr
47. Yuji Naka
46. Fumito Ueda
45. Tim Sweeney
44. Nobuo Uematsu
43. Ed Logg
42. Brad McQuaid & John Smedley
41. Bill Roper
40. Cliff Bleszinski
39. David Jones
38. Chris Taylor
37. Ken Levine
36. Eiji Aonuma
35. Harvey Smith
34. Doug Church
33. Brian Reynolds
32. Alex Rigopulos
31. Larry Holland
30. Brian Fargo
29. Kazunori Yamauchi
28. Greg Zeschuk & Ray Muzyka
27. Jason Jones
26. Rob Pardo
25. Yoshiaki Koizumi
24. Michel Ancel
23. Ken Williams & Roberta Williams
22. Alexey Pajitnov
21. Tim Schafer
20. Koji Kondo
19. Warren Spector
18. Peter Molyneux
17. Dan Houser & Sam Houser
16. Gabe Newell
15. Richard Hilleman
14. Jess Cliffe & Minh Le
13. Tokuro Fujiwara
12. David Crane
11. Richard Garriott
10. John Carmack
9. Yu Suzuki
8. Ralph Baer
7. Shinji Mikami
6. Hideo Kojima
5. Gunpei Yokoi
4. Hironobu Sakaguchi
3. Will Wright
2. Sid Meier
1. Shigeru Miyamoto

manueldelalas said:
Yu Suzuki? really? the guy hasn't made literally anything after Shenmue.

Are you fucking kidding me? Yu Suzuki's resume is legendary.

Space Harrier
Outrun
Hang-On
Afterburner
Virtua Cop
Virtua Racing
Virtua Fighter
Daytona USA (the all time #1 most played arcade game of all time)
Ferrari F355 Challenge

The guy is one of the best game developers in history. Most of his games were groundbreaking or revolutionary at their debut.

EDIT: I mean, shit, he INVENTED the 3D fighter. Virtua Fighter was the mold for 3D fighting games for over a decade.

Nicktals

Banned
I normally don't like lists, since lists are dumb, and this is a dumb topic to make a list about (why not just do a piece on highlighting some creators who have made important contributions or are important in other ways, that most people probably haven't heard of?), so can someone just tell me jade raymond is on the list?

TheSonicRetard said:
EDIT: I mean, shit, he INVENTED the 3D fighter. Virtua Fighter was the mold for 3D fighting games for over a decade.

This, HUGE. In fact almost everyone in the top 10 was either the creator or hugely influential in creating a new genre. Yu Suzuki defintely did that.

Nicktals

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I thought the top ten was great. So happy Mikami made it, totally deserves it.

There won't be. Not (necessarily) because there will never be someone as ingenious at game design as Miyamoto (although that may be the case, depending on your opinion...), but rather because there will never be an available frontier like the one Miyamoto had in front of him at the time of the NES, which he both dominated and pioneered, at the same time.

I mean, 3D was a big frontier with a lot of potential for genius and pioneering in game design to show, but not as big as the NES period in my opinion, and Miyamoto arguably dominated that frontier as well (or was at least at the head of the pack...dominate is probably too strong of a word).

I guess if virtual reality ever actually happens, or some other great new thing like that, then there could, again, be potential for influence and greatness...I just don't see anything being as good of an oppurtunity for it as what Miyamoto had (and that isn't meant to take anything away from Miyamoto...it was that oppurtunity, combined with his genius, that led to him being on the top of pretty much every list like this.)

schild

There needs to be two lists.

Top 100 Game Creators.

Top 100 Experimenters.

Too many people on this list dick around whereas the others constantly produce fun.

And then some people just shouldn't be on the list at all, particularly people who made fun once or twice and then did nothing of value for a decade(+).

Sqorgar

Banned
schild said:
And then some people just shouldn't be on the list at all, particularly people who made fun once or twice and then did nothing of value for a decade(+).
Hey, no need to be down on Tim Schafer!

Is it just my dislike towards MGS or is it just ludicrous that Kojima's so highly regarded on the list? Putting him above Spector is bamboozling.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Did I make the list? ;)

Don't expect so, but then I still have a couple of games left in my head to realise.

One day ...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sqorgar said:
Hey, no need to be down on Tim Schafer!

Tim wouldnt fit into that catergory though. His games are consistantly excellent, and he's got a decent sized resume.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Erm, where the FUCK are David Braben and Ian Bell?

They made Elite for fuck's sake! ELITE! A game from the future! And Zarch/Virus was pretty goundbreaking as well, Frontier flawed but nice. But the staggering achievment of Elite at that era of game development should give them a place in the top 10 by default.

It still blows my mind thinking about what they did in creating a 3D universe and unbelievably deep trading game with a tiny CPU and a mere 16/32k of RAM.

And Geoff Cramond for The Sentinel (still in a complete league of it's own even after all this time), Grand Prix, Stunt Car Racer ...

FAIL.

Sqorgar

Banned
HK-47 said:
Tim wouldnt fit into that catergory though. His games are consistantly excellent, and he's got a decent sized resume.
Though I was joking, he's released exactly one game in the past decade which was a commercial failure. Before that, he has five games to his name. That's what made my comment funny. Well, in MY head at least. But then, Tim Schafer is my arch-nemesis.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
bdizzle said:
that list is irrelevant since kojima-san isn't #1. fuck ign

whatever

Matsuno not being on the list while people who just composed game music and never developed anything are on there is a goddamn crime.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sqorgar said:
Though I was joking, he's released exactly one game in the past decade which was a commercial failure. Before that, he has five games to his name. That's what made my comment funny. Well, in MY head at least. But then, Tim Schafer is my arch-nemesis.

Five of those games are among the most critically acclaimed and influential adventure games ever made

No, seriously, where's Yoshio Sakamoto? Look at the games he's credited in:

Super Smash Bros.: Brawl (2008), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (2007), Nintendo of America Inc.
Picross DS (2007), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Rhythm Tengoku (2006), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (2006), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004), Nintendo of America Inc.
Metroid: Zero Mission (2004), Nintendo of America Inc.
WarioWare Touched! (2004), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$ (2003), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Wario World (2003), Nintendo of Europe GmbH
Balloon Fight (2002), Nintendo of America Inc.
Metroid Fusion (2002), Nintendo of America Inc.
Metroid Prime (2002), Nintendo of America Inc.
Super Smash Bros.: Melee (2001), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Wario Land 4 (2001), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Famicom Tantei Kurabu Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo (1998), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Game & Watch Gallery (1997), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Galactic Pinball (1995), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Teleroboxer (1995), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Super Metroid (1994), Nintendo of Europe GmbH
Hello Kitty World (1992), Character Soft
Kaeru no tame ni Kane wa Naru (1992), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Balloon Kid (1990), Nintendo of America Inc.
Kid Icarus (1986), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Metroid (1986), Nintendo of America Inc.

For the love of God, he directed Super Metroid. Even if the rest of his career hadn't been marked by major involvement in a dozen other classics he'd deserve to be on that list for Super Metroid alone.

Danielsan

ianp622 said:
If I don't find Fumito Ueda on this list, I am going to be PISSED.

EDIT: #46!?!?! He should be at least in the top 20.
Pretty much. I don't care if he only worked on 3 games. The two games he directed are two of the industry's finest. Top 20 without a doubt.

The only one everyone can agree with is Miyamoto at nr.1. He used to be such a creative mastermind.

Timber

yeah they shouldve just listed them alphabetically or something instead of this stupid thing.

Tom Hall created the Commander Keen series, worked on Catacomb 3D, Wolfenstein, and DOOM, created Rise of the Triad, created Anachronox, and yet he's not on the list? Whyyyyy?

Frederick Raynal created Alone in the Dark, Little Big Adventure and Toy Commander and worked on Soul Bubbles, and yet he's not on the list? Argh, why?? Is it because IGN are clueless maybe? I'd think so!

Top Bottom