• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces online fees for Monster Hunter G Wii

Vinci said:
Okay, long-time MMO player here so monthly fees aren't new to me ...

But that is too expensive. This isn't a persistent world - there's no sense for this to be so damned high. That's more than half of what it costs for me to play EVE Online a month. They better at least cut that in half for American release or this game is going to die online.

Hell, I'll still buy it just to play local multiplayer ... but screw online if that's how they're going to price Tri.

Eve costs less then 6 dollars a month?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Why they need to charge people to play this game? they don't need it on the PSP as that's why it's so succesful! Capcom is bitching us :(

I'll not pay to play online, so I'll not pay for MH wii as online was the good thing of Monster Hunter.

tanasten said:
Why they need to charge people to play this game? they don't need it on the PSP as that's why it's so succesful! Capcom is bitching us :(

I'll not pay to play online, so I'll not pay for MH wii as online was the good thing of Monster Hunter.
For Christ's sake...

tag quote please.

tanasten said:

You don't go online on the PSP, it is local multiplayer as far as i know...

Totobeni said:
it's still free , you just pay for your horse armor and power up and other stuff ( like Home ) , I think Sony want PSN to be free , I guess that why SE didn't port FFXI to PS3 and why NCsoft just forget about their PS3 game .

I must be honest, I like this business model and it makes me much more likely to buy the game. Also NCSoft has free MMOs don't they? I think Guild Wars does not have monthly fees IIRC.

Acid08

Banned
People bitch about $50 for 13 months of XBL and then this shit comes out? Why would anyone pay $80 a year to play fucking Monster Hunter online?

Acid08 said:
Why would anyone pay $80 a year to play fucking Monster Hunter online?

this is the japanesse we are talking about, they'd probably pay $80 for a roll of monster hunter toilet paper if they could

Yes Boss!

Price isn't bad at all.

I've got the game coming in on import (mainly for the classic controller and demo for Tri) but would the option to play this online from North America be possible if you've got a Japanese Wii.

You people and your bitchin.

Phantasy Star on 360 has you pay for a hunters license on top of your annual XBL gold membership IIRC. Nothing compares to that.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Arpharmd B said:
You people and your bitchin.

Phantasy Star on 360 has you pay for a hunters license on top of your annual XBL gold membership IIRC. Nothing compares to that.

You don't have to be a gold member to play PSU online on 360. Plus that's way too expensive for that game also.

I miss the dreamcast PSO days when 4 player online RPGs were free.

Coxswain

It's probably a moot point because I think Capcom is generally smart enough to realize a monthly fee for a game like Monster Hunter won't fly in the west (well, assuming they localize it at all), but it really can't be stated enough how ridiculous and stupid it is to charge for it at all. There's just absolutely nothing about the game that is really served by having dedicated servers as opposed to peer-to-peer - not to mention that MHF2 played through Xlink Kai (and probably ad-hoc party) is generally a more lag-free experience than the PS2 version of Monster Hunter ever was.

And yes, it was also retarded when they did it with the PS2 Monster Hunter games in Japan, only marginally less so when they did it with Monster Hunter Frontier, and even worse when Sega did it with various versions of Phantasy Star Online and Universe (there's a reason that the Dreamcast version of PSOv1 was the only entry in those franchises that wasn't a ghost town, despite being maybe the worst in terms of cheating).

There's really no angle to defend a Monster Hunter monthly fee from, unless you count "well, it probably won't be like that when they bring it out here anyway".

Sqorgar said:
Last I checked, GW released three expansions and then decided to try a different approach.
No, they released three expansions and then decided that they wanted to make a sequel instead because of limitations in the engine of the original game. And unless something's changed since I stopped following GW2, the no-fee business model hasn't changed at all. And not to get too tangential (especially since the GW model really only works with PC games), but that business model was way more consumer-friendly than any subscription-based model, basically boiling down to the fact that ArenaNet/NCSoft didn't see a dime unless they managed to produce content that players thought was good enough to pay extra for, and that if they failed to convince a player that the new stuff was good enough, the player wouldn't have to pay anyway just to avoid being locked out of the game that they already did actually like.

JudgeN

Do they update the game regularly like an MMO? Doesn't make much sense in paying the MMO fee if they aren't going to update the game.

GoDLiKe

The online service on Wii is a FUCKING JOKE. ONE GAME supports voice chat and the majority not even suport text chat, just pre-made sentences.

EPIC FAIL.

hc2

With the games that are available today, why is Monster Hunter even being considered for release here?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
GoDLiKe said:
The online service on Wii is a FUCKING JOKE. ONE GAME supports voice chat and the majority not even suport text chat, just pre-made sentences.

EPIC FAIL.

MHG/3 supports Wii speak no ?

tim1138

DRock said:
You don't have to be a gold member to play PSU online on 360. Plus that's way too expensive for that game also.

I miss the dreamcast PSO days when 4 player online RPGs were free.

PSO was never free in Japan and in the US only the initial release was free. Starting with Ver 2 for DC and moving on there was always a monthly fee.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
GoDLiKe said:

EPIC FAIL.
What does that have to do with anything?
You aren't paying shit to Nintendo, you are paying Capcom - for Capcom's online service and servers - they can have voice chat (presumably), usernames, lobbies, matchmaking, leaderboards, achievements, trophies and any other crap they want in there.

MikeE21286 said:
wow, well I won't be buying any of the Monster Hunter games for Wii now. I had no idea they were gonna make us pay.
Do you live in Japan? If not, what the hell are you talking about?

Sqorgar

Banned
Coxswain said:
No, they released three expansions and then decided that they wanted to make a sequel instead because of limitations in the engine of the original game. And unless something's changed since I stopped following GW2, the no-fee business model hasn't changed at all.
I may have been making incorrect assumptions as to their motivations. I don't really know anything about Guild Wars 2. But I would think that if their model was working, they would've created more than two real expansions (the third was half assed and existed mainly to bridge GW2). SOE managed to keep EQ going for like a thousand expansions while simultaneously working on EQ2. Why did GW just stop, dead, if it was such an amazing success?

And not to get too tangential (especially since the GW model really only works with PC games), but that business model was way more consumer-friendly than any subscription-based model, basically boiling down to the fact that ArenaNet/NCSoft didn't see a dime unless they managed to produce content that players thought was good enough to pay extra for, and that if they failed to convince a player that the new stuff was good enough, the player wouldn't have to pay anyway just to avoid being locked out of the game that they already did actually like.
I agree that it is better for consumers. What the jury is still out on is how well it actually worked for everybody else...

linsivvi

Jaded Alyx said:
Paying to play Monster Hunter on the PS2 in Japan. "A-ok!"

Paying to play Monster Hunter on the Wii in Japan. "Hell no! LOLOLOL"

Gotta love GAF sometimes.

The PS2 games had an online fee back when console games had no online infrastructure and publishers are left on their own to set up servers for each game. The monthly fee was understandable since Capcom had to use an external company for online and the monthly fee you pay allowed you to play all Capcom games, including Gundam VS, RE Outbreak and then some more from other publishers. It's similar to paying for XBox Live though with a lot less features.

There's no reason to charge for an online fee in this generation. What's Monster Hunter so different from all the other current gen console games that justifies that fee?

One thing nintendo have done right is allowing subs to be brought with the console currency, I wish xbl did the same thing for psu on the 360 instead of giving over your credit card, which can only be stopped with a phone call to support :/

Suburban Cowboy said:
They will not charge for online in America. Mark my words.
Not the same game or system but PSO v2 DC in europe was FREE while america had to pay a monthly sub :D

Teknoman

markatisu said:
Well Inafume already said Capcom wants to establish MH in the West, so all signs point to MH3 coming here.

Monster Hunter 3 is coming to North America at least. G isnt though.

beje

Banned
For all those sooooo sure about the game being free to play online in the west, do you know at least if MHG is coming here? are you doing it for shit and giggles? or maybe you assure it because of the precedents and actually don't have a clue about the release? Just asking, because if you have any piece of real info you could actually share it instead of playing the mistery man

Grayman

jonnybryce said:
If you're in a slow game, you can find another that runs silky smoothe that instant. When the developer decides to pull the plug, you can still play. Theres 100000000x less downtime for maintence on P2P, and most important for me, you can do something about it if the game is running like shit instead of hoping the direct server gets taken care of by Capcom.

DS is = to P2P, if not inferrior IMO. I don't see how it's any other way. I'm not forgetting that point, I just think it's wild to pay for a game that isn't even an MMORPG without a truly valid reason.
Community Hosted servers are better than centralized ones, which may or may not be worse than p2p(warhawk's sony servers are better than KZ2's peer to peer networking structure)

Teknoman

beje said:
For all those sooooo sure about the game being free to play online in the west, do you know at least if MHG is coming here? are you doing it for shit and giggles? or maybe you assure it because of the precedents and actually don't have a clue about the release? Just asking, because if you have any piece of real info you could actually share it instead of playing the mistery man

Monster Hunter G isnt releasing here. 3 and Freedom Unite (2G) are.

3361380419_02d33c8eef_o.png

3362198382_7f74620f51_o.png

:D

Ashour

It depends on what it's going to add to the game, if it's just for playing but you use the Wii default online system (Friends code, etc..) then it's a rip off, if it adds allot of features it will be a less of a rip off (even though $20 for 3 months is allot, I can get 2-3 games on Wii ware with that).

Top Bottom