• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces online fees for Monster Hunter G Wii

Effect

duckroll said:
We knew before that MHG and MH3 won't have free online, but they have now officially disclosed the pricing for MHG's online in Japan.

- There will be a 14 day free online trial campaign
- For ongoing online play, players will have to purchase Hunting Tickets
- 30 days ticket = 800 Wii points, 60 days ticket = 1500 Wii points, 90 days ticket = 2000 Wii points

This is for Monster Hunter G, but I think the rates will probably be the same for MH3 as well. Thoughts?

This seems similar to fees that were used in Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe. Not to bad to be honest.

Tobor

Effect said:
This seems similar to fees that were used in Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe. Not to bad to be honest.

Exactly. There are some stupid, stupid opinions in this thread.

Xiaoki

This topic feels a lot like a bunch of people that weren't interested in MH until it came to a Nintendo console suddenly finding out what MH is like on consoles.

News flash, Monster Hunter 1 had online fees in Japan.

Also, Im getting a "Im cheap ass gamer so I demand everything for free" vibe.

kottila

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I knew japan would be charging already.

I am praying Capcom makes MH3 free like they did for MH on PS2 here in the states. Online fees would drop MH3 from my most anticipated day-one game in years to not even a rental.

I'm going to hold my tounge on the bitching until it actually happens since it hasn't even been offically annouced for the US.

Is it not fun in singleplayer? I don't have anyone that I can play multiplayer with.

How is the single player for Monster Hunter? I've only played a small part of the tutorial on PSP on the way back from a road trip, is It really robust? I'm largely a single player gamer and while I expect I'll play the multi for MH3, I don't want it to be the ONLY reason I play.

Monster Hunter is still worth it in singleplayer. I put over 40 hours into MHF2 and probably would have done more if the PSP's analog nub wasn't a pile of garbage.

There's really not much of any story(Giant monsters may or may not be terrorizing a village out in the middle of nowhere) but you have tons of missions, a large assortment of beasts that you have to learn every aspect of how they behave and fight to take out, multiple strategies and weapons/traps for getting rid of them, and a very deep crafting system where you can make all kinds of neato armor and weapons.

Boerseun

Banned
The single-player game is a huge, intricate, fleshed out and massively enjoyable gaming experience in its own right. The multi-player is an additional feature that is nice to have, but it certainly doesn't constitute the core gameplay experience in my opinion.

Tenbatsu

DeaconKnowledge said:
How is the single player for Monster Hunter? I've only played a small part of the tutorial on PSP on the way back from a road trip, is It really robust? I'm largely a single player gamer and while I expect I'll play the multi for MH3, I don't want it to be the ONLY reason I play.
Console MHs are different from handheld MHs. You cant get the full experience from Single player for console version, maybe like 50%, the rest are online. Online Monsters, download quest etc etc.

Vinci

Danish
Okay, long-time MMO player here so monthly fees aren't new to me ...

But that is too expensive. This isn't a persistent world - there's no sense for this to be so damned high. That's more than half of what it costs for me to play EVE Online a month. They better at least cut that in half for American release or this game is going to die online.

Hell, I'll still buy it just to play local multiplayer ... but screw online if that's how they're going to price Tri.

Vinci said:
Okay, long-time MMO player here so monthly fees aren't new to me ...

But that is too expensive. This isn't a persistent world - there's no sense for this to be so damned high. That's more than half of what it costs for me to play EVE Online a month. They better at least cut that in half for American release or this game is going to die online.

Hell, I'll still buy it just to play local multiplayer ... but screw online if that's how they're going to price Tri.
It's not likely that there will be fees when it's released in the West.

beje

Banned
Haven't anyone ever heard of Guild Wars 1/2? And remember the main reason they were free to play? Because there's no need for a big as fuck cluster of servers to mantain a huge persistent world with hundreds of players at the same time in the same place where you have to keep control of everyone and give that info to everyone nearby, instead you make your party and go adventuring ignoring everyone else around not playing with you to the point you can free those connections and make the game ad-hoc between the players so Capcom is basically charging for thin air. What would you think if you had to pay an extra monthly fee to play online co-op on FFCC, GeOW, Halo, etc?

And I'm not paying a single cent for an experience I can already have better and for free.

Vinci

Danish
Jaded Alyx said:
It's not likely that there will be fees when it's released in the West.

That would be very wise. Particularly if they want to build up the game's community in this country.

speedpop said:
Bingo. Yet people seem to be forgetting that point.

Direct servers > P2P. I'm sorry Xbox Live advocates but that's how it goes.

If you're in a slow game, you can find another that runs silky smoothe that instant. When the developer decides to pull the plug, you can still play. Theres 100000000x less downtime for maintence on P2P, and most important for me, you can do something about it if the game is running like shit instead of hoping the direct server gets taken care of by Capcom.

DS is = to P2P, if not inferrior IMO. I don't see how it's any other way. I'm not forgetting that point, I just think it's wild to pay for a game that isn't even an MMORPG without a truly valid reason.

beje said:
Haven't anyone ever heard of Guild Wars 1/2? And remember the main reason they were free to play? Because there's no need for a big as fuck cluster of servers to mantain a huge persistent world with hundreds of players at the same time in the same place where you have to keep control of everyone and give that info to everyone nearby, instead you make your party and go adventuring ignoring everyone else around not playing with you to the point you can free those connections and make the game ad-hoc between the players so Capcom is basically charging for thin air. What would you think if you had to pay an extra monthly fee to play online co-op on FFCC, GeOW, Halo, etc?

And I'm not paying a single cent for an experience I can already have better and for free.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15074440&postcount=113

beje said:

That is really fucking true. Guild Wars was small parties and off you went in your own world where you couldn't see anyone else. No gameplay took place in the lobbies unlike games like City of Heroes where you'd see battles going on as you ran by.

Xiaoki said:
This topic feels a lot like a bunch of people that weren't interested in MH until it came to a Nintendo console suddenly finding out what MH is like on consoles.

But there weren't fees here. So, irrelevance.

Tobor said:

Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's satisfactory. The people complaining now could be the same ones complaining then. It's stupid to pay to play for this type of game, then and now. Especially on Wii.

Ranger X

Just another great example of "we make you pay because you can bend over".

Don't pay for bullshit "because you can". This might help prevent such things happening in your country, to your games.

Tobor said:
Xiaoki said:
I've played a few Pay-to-play games in my life. Ragnarok Online (3 yrs), PSO (2 yrs), PSU (1 yr). I can only speak from my personal experience so I don't know if others feel the same.

When I'm really getting into a game and playing it daily with friends it’s not that big a deal. I don't mind paying a few dollars a month when I'm having a blast. It beats spending $50 for a new game every month to keep me entertained.

But the problem occurs when the game becomes anything less than addicting. When the game tapers off from being a daily routine to wanting to set it down for a few days or more. At that point I start looking at how much I’m playing and if it still justifies the monthly fee. If I’m only logging on 1-2 times a week, or in other words 4-8 times a month, I don’t feel its worth it anymore. That’s a big hang-up with me because now I’m sitting on a game that I still think is fun and want to play, but won’t because I can’t justify the cost. It prematurely kills the fun far earlier than the games natural course would have.

Pay-to-play also creates this anxiety feeling like I have to be playing to be getting my moneys worth. I like a variety of games and it’s not uncommon for me to not be in the mood for a certain game for 1-2 weeks at a time. Yet when I pay monthly, anytime I’m playing something else I feel like I’m not making use of that time I paid for. I hate that feeling, and I hate almost forcing myself to play the pay-to-play game just to feel I’m getting my moneys worth.

So call my opinion stupid, call me a cheap ass, but it doesn’t change how I feel.
kottila said:
Is it not fun in singleplayer? I don't have anyone that I can play multiplayer with.
I've been playing MHF2 on the PSP. In my opinion these loot games thrive on being multiplayer. I didn’t mind playing PSO offline back on my Gamecube but that’s because I knew later I would at least be hooking up with my friends and playing split screen. I’m sure MH would still be fun for me offline but without that multiplayer appeal I wouldn’t have the drive to dump hundreds of hours into it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
beje said:
...basically charging for thin air. What would you think if you had to pay an extra monthly fee to play online co-op on FFCC, GeOW, Halo, etc?

Isn't this true for Live fees? I realize that this is $80 a year for a single game but the principle is the same.

beje

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
The PS1/PS2/PC versions.

Were they free to play online in the West while montly fee'd in Japan? If so, you have a truly valid point (though you really can never know). If not, well, nothing stops them to do the same they're doing in Japan here.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Orin GA said:
Was there this big a fuss with the PS2 Version ?
Sony was winning the console warz, so of course not. Hell, most people out in the West didn't even notice, look through this thread for plenty of examples.

Fundamental rule of GAF: there are people who will look for any excuse to troll/bash anything to suit their agenda. System warz!!1!

Tobor

jonnybryce said:
That is really fucking true. Guild Wars was small parties and off you went in your own world where you couldn't see anyone else. No gameplay took place in the lobbies unlike games like City of Heroes where you'd see battles going on as you ran by.

But there weren't fees here. So, irrelevance.

Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's satisfactory. The people complaining now could be the same ones complaining then. It's stupid to pay to play for this type of game, then and now. Especially on Wii.

This is the stupid part. What difference does it make that it's on the Wii? It's a standalone service, no different in any way from PSO, which charged for online years ago on every system under the sun!

Acting as if it's some extra offense that they would dare to charge for Wii online play is ridiculous at best.

Eteric Rice

Might be worth it depending on how Capcom does it's online. If they do their own online service, they'll probably allow Wii-Speak and what not. Also probably won't be friends codes.

MightyKAC

beje said:
Were they free to play online in the West while montly fee'd in Japan? If so, you have a truly valid point (though you really can never know). If not, well, nothing stops them to do the same they're doing in Japan here.

Always pay to play in Japan (except for PSP) and always free in the states. So yeah, the butt hurting here is premature. I really don't see Capcom making us pay for a subscription if they what this to hit big in the US. Not that any of this matters to me since I'll be buying the inevitable psp port of this and MH3.

Vorador

Banned
jonnybryce said:
If you're in a slow game, you can find another that runs silky smoothe that instant. When the developer decides to pull the plug, you can still play. Theres 100000000x less downtime for maintence on P2P, and most important for me, you can do something about it if the game is running like shit instead of hoping the direct server gets taken care of by Capcom.

First point: 99% of the lag comes from the players line.
Second point: you're screwed either way, server or not. Matchmaking, authentication of legal copies and stats tracking are server based even if the system is P2P, so if servers are offline, you are too.
Third point: Yeah, like Live (p2p based) doesn't have downtime.
Fourth point: *facepalm* yeah, you can debug the network code in the game if there's no server involved.

So lol.

Simply, the main reason between why server based online is fairly superior to p2p based online is server and network load.

A: One machine has to act as a host. Added processing load, network overhead, etc etc. You won't see something bigger than eight players using a p2p system, since the game would began to lag. Also related so second point. If there's dedicated servers, you have a machine that can take fairly heavier games. All games capable of 16 or more players at once use dedicated servers.
B: Network load on one machine. Since all the players have to connect to a single host, this host better have a good internet connection. If the connection is not good, online matches get nearly unplayable. Servers always have a far better internet connection that a home user would have, so again, better possibilities of having a good match.

Plus with server based online some dirty cheater tricks can't be used, like lag switching.

test_account

XP-39C²
I didnt know that it would cost money to play Monster Hunter G Wii online, or at least i must have forgotten about it if i knew it :) I think the online fee prices seems ok. 100 Wii points is about 1 US dollars, right?

billy.sea

Banned
Xiaoki said:

More like they see another opportunity to bitch on the Wii, so they don't hesitate to do so.

billy.sea said:
More like they see another opportunity to bitch on the Wii, so they don't hesitate to do so.

How do you people jump to that conclusion? it's not some huge conspiracy, it's just that people didn't know the previous games in Japan also cost money to play online. It's not like MH2 got as much interest here as MH3 is getting and the news is just a surprise. Besides, it's not entirely out of reason for expectations to change in 3+ years on a console more integrated with online.

Never played Monster Hunter and i think Tri will be my first.
If single player is not that satesfactory enough i can play with my brother, Doesn't Tri have split screen multiplayer? That's enough for me (my internet connection sucks anyway)

Tenbatsu

crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, there was a fee in Japan to play online.
This is more expensive. PS2 you can get to play Z Gundam, Monster Hunter series and Outbreak series online for only US10 a month.

Sqorgar

Banned
beje said:
Haven't anyone ever heard of Guild Wars 1/2? And remember the main reason they were free to play?
The reason GW was free to play was because they had a different revenue stream in mind from conception. The premise was that they would make the majority of their money by selling FULL PRICED stand-alone expansion packs every six months. They didn't make it free to play because it didn't cost them anything. They made it free to give themselves a SIGNIFICANT market advantage. Peer to peer or not, the cost of business was not cheap to them. They just thought they could eat the cost and make up for it by selling expensive expansions to a greatly inflated playerbase.

Doesn't matter whether a MMORPG is free to play or not, somebody, somewhere is paying for it, be it subscription, donations, micro-transactions, or even just plain old advertisements. The trick is to convince the players that it isn't them who is footing the bill - but in the end, it always is. Don't think that because GW did it for free that it is an option for all online games. Last I checked, GW released three expansions and then decided to try a different approach.

On a side note, are the Monster Hunter PS2 servers still running? Because I thought that in the US, both the MH and Outbreak servers were closed eventually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TunaLover said:
Why wouldn't they? ...troll

Good job reading the thread ace!

If you had bothered to read it in reality though, you'd notice that the previous U.S. versions didn't, so there is a precedence for this.

TunaLover

Nirolak said:
Good job reading the thread ace!

If you had bothered to read it in reality though, you'd notice that the previous U.S. versions didn't, so there is a precedence for this.

That was a internal joke, from Dead Space Wii ='(

I've been doing this with Phantasy Star Universe on 360 which is on dedicated servers as well, so I don't see what the big deal is. The issue with PSU is that the support Sega has given the game on the non-Japanese servers has really been sub-par, and not worth $10 a month. If Capcom supports this game pretty well I don't see the problem.

MisterHero

I'd probably pay that much for Monster Hunter 3, but almost not for Monster Hunter G.

It also depends on the service too

Epiphyte

XiaNaphryz said:
Sony was winning the console warz, so of course not. Hell, most people out in the West didn't even notice, look through this thread for plenty of examples.

Fundamental rule of GAF: there are people who will look for any excuse to troll/bash anything to suit their agenda. System warz!!1!
While there may be a bit of that, there is also that fact that no one gave a shit about Monster Hunter until it resurrected the PSP 2 years ago

I would imagine most on GAF only know of it from the portable incarnations, which use free ad hoc

Haunted

No surprise there.

Jaded Alyx said:
Paying to play Monster Hunter on the PS2 in Japan. "A-ok!"

Paying to play Monster Hunter on the Wii in Japan. "Hell no! LOLOLOL"

Gotta love GAF sometimes.

Jaded Alyx said:
Paying to play Monster Hunter on the PS2 in Japan. "A-ok!"

Paying to play Monster Hunter on the Wii in Japan. "Hell no! LOLOLOL"

Gotta love GAF sometimes.
:lol Exactly.

All these whiners have no idea what MH is.

Top Bottom