• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Time Games Producer Gives Shocking Insider Info On Wii

yoopoo

Banned
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46982.html

Pete Wanat:

Credits include: Scarface - Chronicles of Riddick - Wanted.

What we didn't know about Wii:

- Nintendo and Ubi are ONLY companies making money on Wii - Nintendo with the 1st party software and Ubi with the Petz games.
- Wii compared to 360/PS3 is like "a fucking Genesis"
- You'll probably never make your money back if you spend $500k/$600k
- Unless you spend $350k/$500k - you will not see any return on the investment.
- GUARANTEED to lose money if a development is over $2 million
- MadWorld must sell 2-3 million copies to make a profit.
- In order to port a 360/PS3 game to Wii, you will need to make a thats "less than a PS2 game".

:O:O:O

Akia

This thread time warped from 2006

I think Pete is the Wanted dev that's going to be on ListenUP during GDC week. Maybe he needed to get himself in the news section in preparation.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
wait, what .. didn't everyone consider no more hero's a success when it sold around 150k in the US ?

yoopoo said:

Pete Wanat:

Credits include: Scarface - Chronicles of Riddick - Wanted.

What we didn't know about Wii:

- Nintendo and Ubi are ONLY companies making money on Wii - Nintendo with the 1st party software and Ubi with the Petz games.
- Wii compared to 360/PS3 is like "a fucking Genesis"
- You'll probably never make your money back if you spend $500k/$600k
- Unless you spend $350k/$500k - you will not see any return on the investment.
- GUARANTEED to lose money if a development is over $2 million
- MadWorld must sell 2-3 million copies to make a profit.
- In order to port a 360/PS3 game to Wii, you will need to make a thats "less than a PS2 game".

:O:O:O

What does that even mean? A Genesis compared to 360/PS3 is like a fucking Genesis. The closest comparison you can make with a Wii is Gamecube and that's just silly because we all fucking know that.

S. L.

ah you silly americans calling your Mega Drives Genesis.
first i thought thats some weird analogy to that bible genesis.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
chandoog said:
wait, what .. didn't everyone consider no more hero's a success when it sold around 150k in the US ?
It's ubi, so pete wanat is still in the clear DUH

AniHawk

S. L. said:
ah you silly americans calling your Mega Drives Genesis.
first i thought thats some weird analogy to that bible genesis.

Genesis is the fucking best name for the system and don't you forget it.

Besides, the Wii is more like a Gamecube compared to the PS360.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
I thought it was 300k?

More like 200k.

Is Nintendo charging their "you should be priviliged to make games on our console" fees again? These used to be cartridge fees. We all remember those, don't we?

Granted, we're all inclined to call BS on this in light of so much non-Ubi shovelware on the system.

Reassuring news to hear that PlatinumGames will go bankrupt when MadWorld bombs. Thank you OP! :lol

Cipherr

One small step backwards for this guy, one GIANT step backwards for the gaming industry.

There really are, no words.

Phthisis said:
Gotta say I'm much more inclined to believe Pete Wanat, who knows what he's talking about, than GAF.

That would just make you as dense as he is. Not exactly something to willingly make the entire forum aware of.

shuri

Banned
* cue the parade of professional forum posters who have no tech skills or no actual industry experience trashing someone who speaks up and has actual hands-on experience with the hardware and the business side of things

yoopoo

Banned
Tobor said:
He's just mad because Wanted is going to flop like a dead fish.
On the recent 4 Guys 1Up podcast, they had some very positive impressions about Wanted. Should easily sell 4-5 million copies across 360 and PS3.

GhostSeed said:
I'm pretty sure Capcom has made some money with their RE games for the Wii.

I'm pretty sure every company has.
Capcom stated, that on the PS3, they had to sell a MINIMUM of 500K units of a high profile game to make a profit.
Considering how much lower production costs are on the Wii, I'm sure it's much much much less.

shuri said:
* cue a list of professional forum posters who have no tech skills or no actual industry experience trashing someone who speaks up and has actual hands-on experience with the hardware and the business side of things

When the "person with hands on experience" starts spouting bs with no actual grounds in reality, I tend to go with the forum posters.

Tobor

shuri said:
* cue a list of professional forum posters who have no tech skills or no actual industry experience trashing someone who speaks up and has actual hands-on experience with the hardware and the business side of things

Don't make me call in a chart-strike on this thread.

yoopoo said:
On the recent 4 Guys 1Up podcast, they wasted some air time with impressions about Wanted. David Ellis called it a AA title. Should easily wind up on the clearance racks within a month.

Fixed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I knew it was gonna be yoopoo who took this shitfest out of the NPD. I dont have the balls :lol

Plus I wanted to get some serious opinions from the sales agers who may avoid this inevitable trainwreck

AniHawk

yoopoo said:
On the recent 4 Guys 1Up podcast, they had some very positive impressions about Wanted. Should easily sell 4-5 million copies across 360 and PS3.

Did it really? What kind of game is it?

I tend to stay away from movie games, but Riddick was pretty good.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
AniHawk said:

Uh, Wanted is based on a comic. This game is more in line with the comic than the movie. Looks cool too.

Tobor

AniHawk said:

They spent 10 minutes discussing the fact that it should sell at $40, because it has no chance at full retail.

CTLance

a49109.gif

Chumly

My post from the other thread...

HK-47 said:
Holy shit shit at the Wii gaming talk from this dev on Invisible Walls. Could he be more biased and uninformed.

Nothing sells on Wii save Nintendo and Petz. Wii games never make back their budgets. Wii games are not cost effective. Wii has a lower attach rate than PS3.

What the what. Is this how man people in the industry see the Wii? Talk starts around 5 minutes in.

I'm interested in sales ages thoughts on this, but didnt think it deserved a thread. Also good for a laugh and a facepalm.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This is like a MUST listen. Its absolutely hilarious how stupid this guy is. I cant believe hes even smart enough to be a game developer.

"If you spend 2 million dollars on the Wii you are pretty much gaurenteed to lose money"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

"If you spend over 500-600 thousand dollars on a wii game you will never make your money back"
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

He cant name a single game that has failed. Just says they all fail.

When asked about games that bomb on 360/PS3
"Attach rate is better on 360 and PS3!!!".......(They just ignore the fact that 360/PS3 games bomb also)

"Unless you only spend 350-500 thousand dollars you will not see a return on the Wii"
"Madworld would have to sell 2-3 Million units before publishers should actually put money into a Wii game"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ATTACH RATE ATTACH RATE ATTACH RATE

"To get a 360/PS3 game on the Wii you have to make it like a PLAYSTATION GAME"

He just keeps going on and on and on.

AniHawk

Kintaro said:
Uh, Wanted is based on a comic. This game is more in line with the comic than the movie. Looks cool too.

I thought it was based on the loose film adaption and not the comic. I know it was a comic first.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
What a fucking clown. At this point it's not much of a surprise when people troll the Wii though.

They could at least use some facts though, rather than just spouting out whatever baseless thought enters their mind via their ass.

Thomper

I know Wanat is much more of an insider, so what I'm saying might not be correct at all, but...

Didn't Guitar Hero: World Tour sell best on Wii? And Rock Band as well? Or at the very least, these versions did incredibly well, especially for a version lacking DLC?

Didn't EA go on to sell over half a million copies of Boom Blox in the first two months of it being on sale? That's quite a lot, and with a lot of Wii-games having a long tail, I'm sure it's even higher now. Considering games like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, which probably cost a lot more to develop, had comparable or lower sales numbers, Boom Blox was possibly one of EA's most succesful new IP's last year.

All in all, I'm sure Wanat is probably right on a few of these arguments. But there's a number of third-party developers having quite a bit of success on the Wii besides UbiSoft, which just makes that argument seem to weird to me.

I thought the stupid would stop or at least level off after they get it out the the system but 12 min and and it only got worse.

pakkit

Banned
yoopoo said:
Should easily sell 4-5 million copies across 360 and PS3.
lol

How'd Scarface do on the Wii? I bought it, played it on and off for a month, and then sold it, so I did my part!

Bozon:
Curse you for recommending Scarface over Godfather. My wallet is taking you to court.

Linkup

AceBandage said:
I'm pretty sure every company has.
Capcom stated, that on the PS3, they had to sell a MINIMUM of 500K units of a high profile game to make a profit.
Considering how much lower production costs are on the Wii, I'm sure it's much much much less.

500k? and what the heck do you mean by high profile?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
a fucking genesis: can play my fucking genesis games on it for free whenever i fucking feel like

a wii: have to pay $8 per to play the fucking genesis games that fucking nintendo thinks i should fucking play

wii loses again

fuck

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
shuri said:
* cue the parade of professional forum posters who have no tech skills or no actual industry experience trashing someone who speaks up and has actual hands-on experience with the hardware and the business side of things

There is that to a pretty big degree, none of us really have access to the balance sheets. But... do you really think MadWorld needs 2-3 million copies to sell to be successful? didn't Metal Gear Solid 4 make a profit on that with its budget?

People who are in the industry can still talk utter bullshit. There's so much of this that transcends balance sheets and lands straight in the loony farm.

AniHawk said:
I thought it was based on the loose film adaption and not the comic. I know it was a comic first.

The game is actually a direct sequel to the film, although from what I've been told it has plenty of connections with the comic.

AceBandage said:
They could at least use some facts though, rather than just spouting out whatever baseless thought enters their mind via their ass.
They wouldn't really be trolls then, would they? Getting all huffy and blowing a lot of hot air is key, and listening to this it's apparent he's a master.

"Niche little mass market audience."

Lol.

Top Bottom