• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is cool: "Verbinski would rather do Bioshock than another Pirates"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Pirates 2 & 3 went absurdly over budget as well, I guess Gore isn't exactly the best financier in the business

FoneBone

You could, you know, read the source article:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002851.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Universal halts Verbinski's 'Bioshock'
Studio, director to work out budget concerns
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Universal Pictures has put the brakes on "Bioshock," the Gore Verbinski-directed live action adaptation of the bestselling Take-Two Interactive vidgame. The picture was in pre-production, but the studio has halted that effort--and let some production staff go--as Universal and Verbinski figure out a way to make the film at a more reasonable budget.

Sources said that the John Logan-scripted picture was gearing up to shoot in Los Angeles, but that changed when the budget rose to the vicinity of $160 million. U and Verbinski are looking at alternatives like shooting in London as a way to pare costs. The plotline takes place in the underwater city Rapture, where a pilot crash-lands near a secret entrance and becomes involved in a power struggle.

"We were asked by Universal to move the film outside the U.S. to take advantage of a tax credit," Verbinski said. "We are evaluating whether this is something we want to do. In the meantime, the film is in a holding pattern."

Verbinski and sources at the studio say they are determined to make the pic.
Indeed, Verbinski (who has also been directing the Paramount animated film "Rango" with Johnny Depp) bowed out of directing a fourth installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean" so that he could direct "Bioshock" and produce under his Blind Wink banner.

Studio sources said that the budget simply became untenable, but U sources said this is no different than when the studio delayed the start of the untitled Robin Hood pic that Ridley Scott is now directing with Russell Crowe starring. U is making that picture for $130 million, a much lower budget that in its first incarnation. For a number of reasons that included the need for extra script work, that picture temporarily halted, a move which enabled Crowe to star in "State of Play" when Brad Pitt fell out.

All parties vow that "Bioshock" will not become another "Halo," the live action adaptation of the Microsoft game that was going to be turned into a film by U and Fox until both studios got cold feet and cancelled the deal over budget fears.

Universal acquired "Bioshock" in a multi-million dollar deal against gross points with Take-Two (Daily Variety, May 8).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
OnPoint said:
Glad to see the hate for the 2nd and 3rd movies. Yuck.
I don't think a pirates movie would go over well right now given current events.

I also liked story and atmosphere in Bioshock and I don't want to see it bastardized by Hollywood. A mercy killing might be for the best.

Hesemonni

Banned
I hate Pirates III for killing off The Kraken :( It was my best excuse for a big budget monster of (imaginably) Lovecraftian origins. Damn WB for denying Del Toro the funding to make At The Mountains of Madness!

consoul

Just bumping this thread to post a photo I took at Universal the other day.

The Bioshock movie is in production there now with Verbinski at the helm. Working title is Rapture. Set is closed of course, but I found a high vantage point where I could see this large prop archway and some window frames outside one of the big sound stages.

5mmil2.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
good to hear.

I have faith in Verbinski, but I'm still going to keep my hopes relatively low. for now, anyway.

adg1034

At the very least, I'm confident that they'll get the visual style right. Bioshock (the game) had such a strong aesthetic that the art team would have to be one step away from incompetent to mess it up. Here's hoping the rest of the film will be as strong.

adg1034

Yoboman said:
OT: 2kgames need to make a new Pirates! game... I NEED THIS

With the exception of the Civ4 Complete Collection, Firaxis has been strangely silent lately. I'd bet good money that they're not working on another Pirates!, but here's hoping we hear more about their latest project this year.

Yoboman

adg1034 said:
With the exception of the Civ4 Complete Collection, Firaxis has been strangely silent lately. I'd bet good money that they're not working on another Pirates!, but here's hoping we hear more about their latest project this year.
Let me dream

Cartman86

Banned
consoul said:

The Bioshock movie is in production there now with Verbinski at the helm. Working title is Rapture. Set is closed of course, but I found a high vantage point where I could see this large prop archway and some window frames outside one of the big sound stages.

5mmil2.jpg

Cool looks like it's good to go?

FoneBone

consoul said:

Yes, it is in production, right now, with no announced casting and not a word breathed from the trades since the hold was confirmed. That is exactly how mega-budget Hollywood productions operate.

scitek

polyh3dron said:
Verbinski is a great filmmaker and I'm expecting great things from Bioshock. Aside from the POTC trilogy he did The Weather Man which is the last good movie Nicolas Cage was involved in and The Ring which was a GREAT remake that shows he is very skilled at realizing the artistic visions of others.

"Agreeeed." /Barbosa

I love the Pirates trilogy, but I'm glad Verbinski is taking the Bioshock movie seriously enough to turn down a HUGE paycheck.

35dc4yo.jpg

They need to get Armin Shimerman to play Ryan. Give him a wig and mustache and he'll look close enough like him. I guess they'll have to pin back his ears a bit too.

Top Bottom