• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is cool: "Verbinski would rather do Bioshock than another Pirates"

Via ComingSoon.net

Comingsoon said:
Variety is reporting that director Gore Verbinski, whose main claim to fame came from directing Disney's blockbuster "Pirates of the Caribbean" action-adventure trilogy to gross $2.6 billion worldwide, has decided that three pirate movies is enough. He's informed Disney and producer Jerry Buckheimer that he won't be directing the fourth installment, which is currently scheduled to start shooting in 2010.

Verbinski told the trade: "I had a fantastic time bringing 'Pirates' to life, and I am eternally grateful to Jerry, Johnny and the rest of the creative and production team. I'm looking forward to all of us crossing paths again in the future."

Instead, Verbinski will focus on his adaptation of the bestselling video game BioShock for Universal Pictures, which is expected to start production in 2010 based on a script by John Logan.

Nice to see they're still seemingly serious about it. It seems like you hear about so many people doing adaptations right now, it makes you wonder how many of them will actually get made...

Acosta

Prince of Persia and Bioshock and my big hopes of seeing something coming from a videogame turning into a good movie.

Pojo

Banned
A Bioshock movie would be amazing. I think it works well as a game with the whole audio diary things, but it could work as a movie.

Just give it a better boss fight at the end, heh. Nothing wrong with his design or anything.

Verbinski is a great filmmaker and I'm expecting great things from Bioshock. Aside from the POTC trilogy he did The Weather Man which is the last good movie Nicolas Cage was involved in and The Ring which was a GREAT remake that shows he is very skilled at realizing the artistic visions of others.

Xater

Relaxed Muscle said:
Did you really saw the ending of the 3rd one and thought:"That's it,they aren't making more movies of this"?.

I have to say I don't even remember the ending of the third one. All I can remember is that the movie was shit.

Stabby McSter said:
i like to think it was already ruined when they announced it :(
how would it be ruined, they removed will and elizabeth from the series so it'd just be about jack and barbossa's excellent adventures

on the other hand, jack and elizabeth were replaced with a secondary and wholly unnecessary idiot comedy duo, so

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Haunted said:
They're making a 4th PotC movie?

Why?

Johnny-Depp.jpg

+

article-1022687-016B63C200000578-601_468x305.jpg

=

dollars.jpg

rSpooky

Stabby McSter said:
Originally Posted by NetMapel:
Noooooo my Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is ruined now :(
i like to think it was already ruined when they announced it :(

It was already ruined with the 3rd movie (which just finished off the franchise murder that the second one started)

Stitch

Gold Member
Relaxed Muscle said:
Did you really saw the ending of the 3rd one and thought:"That's it,they aren't making more movies of this"?.

The only thing i thought was "This movie was so fucking awful, they would be stupid to make another one!"

And then they announced another one. I hope it focuses more an Jack, the only interesting character in that awful Trilogy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
rSpooky said:
It was already ruined with the 3rd movie (which just finished off the franchise murder that the second one started)

The proposal was literally when it was brutally murdered.

I've got two friends who have been in to audition for this in the past two months, so it's happening. I'm actually pretty excited, Bioshock from the director of The Ring remake could be great!

Stitch said:
The only thing i thought was "This movie was so fucking awful, they would be stupid to make another one!"

And then they announced another one. I hope it focuses more an Jack, the only interesting character in that awful Trilogy.
1zcn6oo.jpg

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The whole trilogy suffered from Matrix syndrome, in that they tried to surpass a solid, stand-alone original with a convoluted 2-parter packed to the brim with tedious fan-service.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A fourth Pirates movie must be made, so that Russel Brand and Johnny Depp can play off each others weird quirks. It fucking writes itself.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
flintstryker said:
Because Jack Sparrow is fucking awesome thats why!

Fuck you guys Pirates 2> Pirates 1 yes i just fucking typed that, what now?

Just cause you typed it in a petty act of defiance doesnt make it any less stupid.

Pirates of the Caribbean went to shit after the first installment. It tried to be too "epic" for its own good.

As for a Bioshock movie...it could work, but then again it IS a videogame movie...

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Pirates 2 and 3 are awesome if you understand the plot. Johnny Depp already signed up for Pirates 4 but Kiera backed out. I think Jeff said he will only join if Verbinski is directing it :( I need my Barbossa !!!

Stalfos

I like Jack Sparrow but I thought that the scenes with him in the 3rd movie were some of the worst parts (I really hated the multiple Jacks crap). Hopefully they can bring it back to being good with a new director.

Stalfos

NetMapel said:
Pirates 2 and 3 are awesome if you understand the plot. Johnny Depp already signed up for Pirates 4 but Kiera backed out. I think Jeff said he will only join if Verbinski is directing it :( I need my Barbossa !!!
I'm pretty sure I understood the plot and I was greatly underwhelmed by the third movie.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Acosta said:
Prince of Persia and Bioshock and my big hopes of seeing something coming from a videogame turning into a good movie.
Prince of Persia has potential. It's headed by a big name producer and Mechner is actually writing the script. Plus, Prince of Persia really lends itself well to a swashbuckling adventure alongside movies like Pirates of the Carribean, The Mummy and Indiana Jones. I really hope they do an excellent job with this movie to compliment an excellent video game series.

Talon

He's also probably tired of how large of a production those three films (particularly the last two) were.

They took an uninhabited island and developed it into a town for God's sake. Not to mention that they spent two weeks with RVs on the deck of a oil tanker at one point.

xfactor

Banned
I think Verbinski just need a little break here and then start on a 4th pirates movie. I like the Pirates movie series

Interfectum

The first Pirates movie was surprisingly good. The other two were complete garbage. As someone said earlier, it was the Matrix Trilogy all over again.

Haunted

Relaxed Muscle said:
I hoped so, yes.

When's Matrix 4 coming out btw?

Zachack

Stalfos said:
I'm pretty sure I understood the plot and I was greatly underwhelmed by the third movie.
Then you clearly didn't understand the plot. Mr. Verbinski's brilliant use of the Kraken to represent multi-lateral aggression of world powers against North Korean independance was perfect. I suggest picking up the novelization of At World's End, the footnotes from Verbinski-san explain everything. Of course, if that's too hard for you, may I suggest the official Art book, which at least explains the obvious references to Bosch and the critical disgust with Rembrandt as displayed by the tongue-less pirate/parrot combo (who, if you know anything about that period, was clearly meant to be Rembrandt's son).

Top Bottom