• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Does Ash know that
Ho-oh was the unidentified Pokemon he saw after waking up following the Spearow attack
?

Spoilers are for the first episode of the anime. Yes, I'm that picky :lol

Rpgmonkey

Tranced Shadow said:
Does Ash know that
Ho-oh was the unidentified Pokemon he saw after waking up following the Spearow attack
?

Spoilers are for the first episode of the anime. Yes, I'm that picky :lol

He mentioned during his time in Johto to that guy who follows Suicune (think his name was Euicune or something weird like that).

Yes I knew and remembered this from the show. :lol

lyre

Dabookerman said:
Look at RSE. It's a huge downgrade from GSC, it still sold millions of copies.
Huge downgrade as in properly designed, well balanced and improved in just about every gameplay category with the release of the first games rather than the third version, you mean?

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
While I'm not for total digital distribution, I feel they could gain a lot by using the DSi's capabilities to introduce patching to the game. Legacy DSes might be able to get by using a bundled GBA expansion cart.
If an ancient GBA cart can have patching capabilities, a regular DS cart is more than able to be patched, irregardless of hardware. Really, if Layton can download unlock keys, Pokemanz can download gameplay patches.

Well, the Layton DLC just unlocked access to puzzles that were already on the cart. I'm talking more about original content, such as quests, gameplay balancing, and exploit fixing.

Man I really want a Pokemon MMO :(

lyre said:
Huge downgrade as in properly designed, well balanced and improved in just about every gameplay category with the release of the first games rather than the third version, you mean?

Downgrade in terms of exclusion of many well loved features, grossly limiting the amount of pokemon you can capture (having to buy more games just to be able to capture another 200 or so pokemon was just plane dumb). It's more refined as it would naturally be, but I am not one of the hardcore competitive players, I just want to enjoy a good adventure.

Rpgmonkey said:
He mentioned during his time in Johto to that guy who follows Suicune (think his name was Euicune or something weird like that).

This and the fact that he sees Ho-Oh again during the series.

lyre

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Well, the Layton DLC just unlocked access to puzzles that were already on the cart. I'm talking more about original content, such as quests, gameplay balancing, and exploit fixing.

Man I really want a Pokemon MMO :(
You can do all that with a GBA cart (see: berry glitch patch for RS), so I'm pretty sure you can do the same with a DS cart, pending available cart rewriteable space.

And besides, gameplay balancing and quests are the sole reason why they release new versions; why give that for free. >:p

And way to fail to see why Pokemanz will fail as an mmo.

Dabookerman said:
Downgrade in terms of exclusion of many well loved features, grossly limiting the amount of pokemon you can capture (having to buy more games just to be able to capture another 200 or so pokemon was just plane dumb). It's more refined as it would naturally be, but I am not one of the hardcore competitive players, I just want to enjoy a good adventure.
Fortunately (unfortunately?), some of them were brought back in Emerald like expanded post-game gameplay, that stupid cell phone thing, etc.

The night/day cycle and the days of the week stuff only limited you to play when the games want you to play and it's plain difficult if not outright absurd if you have a job. Worst ideas ever.

But fortunately, the broken breeding system and broken psychic type balancing didn't return. And GameFreaks are generous enough, at least for DPPl, to have 90 per cent or so of the almost 500 monster roster be catchable on two carts.

lyre said:
Fortunately (unfortunately?), some of them were brought back in Emerald like expanded post-game gameplay, that stupid cell phone thing, etc.

The night/day cycle and the days of the week stuff only limited you to play when the games want you to play and it's plain difficult if not outright absurd if you have a job. Worst ideas ever.

But fortunately, the broken breeding system and broken psychic type balancing didn't return. And GameFreaks are generous enough, at least for DPPl, to have 90 per cent or so of the almost 500 monster roster be catchable on two carts.

Well fortunately most of the neat features were bought back for DPPT. The night and day is there, but the weekly events and timed events have been toned down. Best of both worlds.
And yes, 90% of all the pokemon can be caught on one cart, this is great, add the online so it's much more achievable to catch them all.
Most of the gameplay changes and refinements in terms of the actual battle system were huge improvements, I would agree, but they are more relevant to the competitive player than to the one who just wants to adventure. I'm the adventurer type player, I have no interest in building the perfect team, I just catch my favourite pokes and have them walk around with me. Night and Day was hugely immersive for me, the phone calls didn't bother me, I could just delete annoying pests.
A lot of people including myself are incredibly hyped up for the GS remakes as I personally feel it would make for the perfect Pokemon game, or definitive. Johto/Kanto are my favourite regions. It's all perfect.

kman3000

I know this is probably a stupid question but, does anyone know if the stuff about Hoenn in the HeartGold description on PlayAsia is true or is it just bull shit?

Netto-kun

New infos from CoroCoro.

- You follow Entei, Suicune, and Raikou around Johto, just like in the original games. However, Eusine is stalking Suicune.
- Ho-Oh is in the Tin Tower and Lugia is in the Whirl Islands, both at Level 45.
- There is a new feature in the game called the "Pokeathelon," which is a mini-game feature that uses the stylus.
- The Pokemon Gyms have various traps.
- Red Gyarados appears in the Lake of Rage at Level 30.
- The Kimono Girls are part of the storyline and you meet them many times.
- Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina each learn moves they could not previously learn - Metal Burst, Hydro Pump, and Shadow Sneak (respectively).
- There are 9 mini-games. One of them could be the racing game I saw at the early premiere of the Arceus movie.
- Eusine, a character from Crystal, is in the game.
- Latios and Latias are in the games at Level 30.
- [n]Mewtwo[/n] is in the game (Kanto confirmation if it turns out to be true?).
- Lugia and Ho-Oh have a "hidden ability."

Netto-kun said:
- Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina each learn moves they could not previously learn - Metal Burst, Hydro Pump, and Shadow Sneak (respectively).
I could've sworn Giratina could already learn Shadow Sneak in Platinum. Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

But, yeah, sounds good overall. Interesting to see that Ho-oh and Lugia are both going to be the same levels in both versions. Wonder if this means you can access them are roughly the same time now, or if they're exclusive to their respective games.

Chozo

KirbyStamped said:
But, yeah, sounds good overall. Interesting to see that Ho-oh and Lugia are both going to be the same levels in both versions. Wonder if this means you can access them are roughly the same time now, or if they're exclusive to their respective games.

My theory is that both are available in each game (in keeping with the spirit of the originals), but because you can use the move tutors to get their signature attacks "only Silver has Lugia with Aeroblast!" is no longer a selling point. The version you choose will probably affect which one you can get first (same way it was in the originals, I think).

Jel0man

Netto-kun said:
New infos from CoroCoro.

- You follow Entei, Suicune, and Raikou around Johto, just like in the original games. However, Eusine is stalking Suicune.
- Ho-Oh is in the Tin Tower and Lugia is in the Whirl Islands, both at Level 45.
- There is a new feature in the game called the "Pokeathelon," which is a mini-game feature that uses the stylus.
- The Pokemon Gyms have various traps.
- Red Gyarados appears in the Lake of Rage at Level 30.
- The Kimono Girls are part of the storyline and you meet them many times.
- There are 9 mini-games. One of them could be the racing game I saw at the early premiere of the Arceus movie.
- Eusine, a character from Crystal, is in the game.
- Latios and Latias are in the games at Level 30.
- [n]Mewtwo[/n] is in the game (Kanto confirmation if it turns out to be true?).
- Lugia and Ho-Oh have a "hidden ability."

Gyarados, awesome. Those gym traps kind of bum me out though. Now, more Kanto news please:D.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It shows what fandom I belong <_<

That, and Doggy is <3, a lovable badass.

Anyway, no info about Mewtwo?

Masked Man

I said wow
Crumpet Trumpet said:
So who's Eusine? Never played Crystal.

For reference:
eusine.gif

jrricky

Banned
Umm, just catching up on some news. I just noticed something in one of the pics. Cynthia (D, P, Pl) is in the game? How? Also dialga, palkia, and girantina? o_O

EDIT:also pokewalker? Pokeathlon? whats those?

DuckRacer

jrricky said:
Umm, just catching up on some news. I just noticed something in one of the pics. Cynthia (D, P, Pl) is in the game? How? Also dialga, palkia, and girantina? o_O

EDIT:also pokewalker? Pokeathlon? whats those?
When you get Arceus (or Giratana? Can't remember) in some Japanese event a new area opens up and you can catch those legendaries.

The Pokewalker is a pedometer and the Pokeathalon is apparently a minigame.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We might as well put it in confirm though. 2ch is reliable, though sometimes like to play on foreigners.

Edag Plata said:
"FACE ON!"

Yeah, one of the few furries who would slice you in half if you don't consider him badass.

Azure J

Holy crap, Heart Gold & Soul Silver are shaping up to be the Pokemon games to end them all! Fan service in the form of the returning characters Eusine & the Kimono Girls actually being a part of the storyline, Ho-Oh & Lugia obtainable with their uber moves (if the Level 45 thing is for both Pokemon in one cart), Latios & Latias in game, and Kanto/Full Unknown Dungeon possibility with Mewtwo being confirmed?

friday_daaaaaaamn.gif

Johann

Rpgmonkey said:

That was the Tin Tower episode. After seeing a Ho-oh drawing, Ash says he saw it but no one believes him. If it isn't bad enough he's the anti-Yugi and rarely wins leagues and championships.

neo2046 said:

This game is going to be pure fanservice.

That Lucario doesn't seem to have a spike on his chest. I guess he can hug kids without impaling them.

AzureJericho said:
Holy crap, Heart Gold & Soul Silver are shaping up to be the Pokemon games to end them all! Fan service in the form of the returning characters Eusine & the Kimono Girls actually being a part of the storyline, Ho-Oh & Lugia obtainable with their uber moves (if the Level 45 thing is for both Pokemon in one cart), Latios & Latias in game, and Kanto/Full Unknown Dungeon possibility with Mewtwo being confirmed?

friday_daaaaaaamn.gif

I dreamed for a Pokemon game like this and always thought it to be a dream. I never thought this stuff would come through though, I still can't believe it :D

cvxfreak

The only thing HeartGold and SoulSilver can do to attain unstoppable Pokemon greatness is to include Hoenn. Long shot, but it would be awesome.

Darkpen

Banned
who else wished the Orange League existed as game canon back when the cartoons aired? :p I remember being disappointed that it wasn't present when G/S came out :lol

Jel0man

Darkpen said:
who else wished the Orange League existed as game canon back when the cartoons aired? :p I remember being disappointed that it wasn't present when G/S came out :lol

Hell yeah. The Orange League was awesome in the series:D!

2l95riq.png

DuckRacer

cvxfreak said:
The only thing HeartGold and SoulSilver can do to attain unstoppable Pokemon greatness is to include Hoenn. Long shot, but it would be awesome.
This is what Play Asia says for Heart Gold:

Pokemon Heart Gold is a remake of Pokemon Gold, a game which first came out in 2,000. It includes revamped graphics, various new Pokemon, and new forms of previously existing Pokemon. The game also offers a special challenge after the main story is completed, in which the main character travels to the Hoenn region to catch one of two titans that fought 3 years earlier. New characters include Lunah, the Dark type gym leader of Hoenn, and Sakura, the gardening enthusiast. Supports wi-fi connection and comes with a pedometer.

We know for a fact that Groudon and Kyogre are in the game (Groudon in Soul Silver, Kyogre in Heart Gold). We also know 99% for sure Kanto is in the game, especially after hearing Mewtwo is in and seeing the Johto map with the monorail and a part of Kanto.

Hmm.

ivysaur12

Banned
DuckRacer said:
This is what Play Asia says for Heart Gold:

We know for a fact that Groudon and Kyogre are in the game (Groudon in Soul Silver, Kyogre in Heart Gold). We also know 99% for sure Kanto is in the game, especially after hearing Mewtwo is in and seeing the Johto map with the monorail and a part of Kanto.

Hmm.

That would turn this into an instant buy from me.

TreIII

ivysaur12 said:
That would turn this into an instant buy from me.

It's already an instant-buy, in my eyes.

Now it's just a matter of "Day 1", or if I will get my Dialgia and Palkia to bend time and space, so I can some how get this game sooner. :lol

Top Bottom