• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC09 Thread of iPhones and Snow Leopards

ckohler

wwdcBanner.png

OVERVIEW
  • Web Site: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
  • Where: Moscone West - San Franciso California
  • Dates: June 8th thru 12th
  • Events: Keynote, Apple Design Awards, Workshops
  • Purpose: Apple held conference to provide developers and IT professionals with in-depth technical information and hands-on learning about the powerful technologies in iPhone OS and Mac OS X.

wwdcKeynote.png

KEYNOTE
  • Begins: Monday, June 8th 10:00 a.m. PDT
  • Presenter: Phil Schiller and other Apple executives

WHERE YOU CAN FOLLOW LIVE ONLINE
Text/Photos

NO LIVE AUDIO OR VIDEO AVAILABLE. A video of the keynote will be made available on Apple's Web site hours after the event has ended.

wwdcMoscone.png

RUMORS FACTS TO GET YOUR HOPES UP
  • iPhone OS 3.0 Released - iPhone 3.0 OS Coming June 17th
  • New iPhone with any or all of the following features
    • Video recording
    • Video calls
    • Improved Camera
    • Faster processor
    • More memory
  • $99 4GB iPhone - $99 8GB iPhone 3G!
  • iPhone available on Verizon
  • Snow Leopard Release Date - In Sept. for only $29!
  • MacBook updates + MacBook Pro updates!
  • Apple Tablet
  • Steve Jobs Appearance

E3 last week, this tomorrow. Productivity is down.

My contract is u around the end of the year and I don't have an iphone. I'm excited to see if this will entice me.

I'd say the odds of 3.0 being released tomorrow are pretty high. After all, there was an iTunes update just a few days ago that included compatibility with 3.0.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the new iPhone. :D

since i used Twitter to pretty much follow the E3 conferences while at work, anyone know of any good twitter pages that'll have updates from WWDC?

Gary Whitta said:
How sad is it that I always get so stoked for these keynotes? They're like a mini-Christmas!
Very sad. So sad in fact that despite you rubbing shoulders with Hollywood celebrities I still feel pity for you.

Juice

My expectations from the iPhone thread:

Juice said:
My final predictions:

6/8 Release:
iPhone 3G
-The thinner, shorter black case
-Video calling
-Photo Booth app
-Shutter button
-25-50% better battery life
-Identical specs as current 3G
-4GB FREE (with contract)
-8GB $79
-Reduced monthly fee (plans starting just over $50)

7/17 Release:
Better iPhone with some brand name, hopefully "Pro".

Same as above, but:
- "Twice as fast" -- double RAM, CPU performance, 3G speed (7mbps)
- Rear camera can record 480p video
- iMovie app, editing, MobileMe uploads. YouTube uploads coming shortly after launch.
- To support development for more power hungry apps, a "Pro" profile for the App Store to devs for apps that are exclusive to the faster phone.
- 16GB for $199, 32GB for $299

I expect a lot of sessions on Snow Leopard technologies, but there probably isn't enough news to really cover it in the keynote unless they have some sort of surprise.

The fact the white MacBook hasn't been put out of its misery yet is evidence supporting Gruber's tip that it's (sadly) here to stay and that the 13" unibody MacBook will become, overnight, the closest that 12"PB fans will ever get to a new computer.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Can't wait. Snow Leopard is pretty basic, but any surprise features/details and all the geeky tech details will still be delicious. Dunno what to expect from the iPhone, but I'm finally jumping in, so just hope it launches ASAP. What a great few weeks. E3, now this. Mm.

Juice

Napoleonthechimp said:
Yes, a pro version of the iPhone would be good so then people would know I was better than them. Excellent idea.

I already have this. It's called the EDGE iPhone. I say "Pro", because Video would be nonsensical and the iSight and black bezel look so much like the MacBook line that it would fit in just perfectly to the consumer:pro theme in the Mac lineup.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
32GB+ iPhone would get me interested. Would allow me to replace my 32GB touch and old ass phone in one hit.

Will have to find out how much space 3.0 + phone features takes up before i jump in. Nearly using all of my 32gb at the moment.

I think we are going to see a netbook here. I REALLY hope they have something that is for the more travel orientated person, who can't afford the MBA price! £5-600 will be a great price, other wise there is no point

Juice

Mecha_Infantry said:
I think we are going to see a netbook here. I REALLY hope they have something that is for the more travel orientated person, who can't afford the MBA price! £5-600 will be a great price, other wise there is no point

Best wishes on that, but I'd be shocked if there's anything to show in this space. And when there is, it's not going to resemble netbooks as they're presently defined.

I'm looking forward to Snow Leopard as well. Preferably, we'll see some AWESOME benchmarks giving the performance increases, and finally get to see Marble.

Anyone else think they might have a big overhaul reveal of iTunes at this event? Following the developer seeds, iTunes is like the one piece of software that hasn't been updated yet for Snow Leopard.

Cannot wait!!

mollipen

What I'd like to see: Snow Leopard shown to have new non-shitty Finder and Mail.app
What I'm expected: Snow Leopard shown and still has shitty Finder and Mail.app
All I'm asking: Snow Leopard soon.

Seriously, I swear 10.5 hates my guts. Screw new features (well, other than non-shitty Finder and Mail.app), I just want this OS tweaked and tuned up to all hell, so I was really happy to hear that that's exactly what 10.6 is going to be. I really hope it's going to be coming sooner than later, so that I can wipe my current machine and start anew.

I'd also say I'd like to not see a new iPhone that is totally jawesome and makes me jealous of being stuck with my crappy old 3G iPhone, but I don't wish others to suffer just for my benefit. So, if I at least get some nice new things to do via a software update, I'll be happy.

giga

Mr. Wonderful said:
I'm looking forward to Snow Leopard as well. Preferably, we'll see some AWESOME benchmarks giving the performance increases, and finally get to see Marble.

Anyone else think they might have a big overhaul reveal of iTunes at this event? Following the developer seeds, iTunes is like the one piece of software that hasn't been updated yet for Snow Leopard.

Cannot wait!!
Don't get your hopes up.

MrSeaneyC

Alas the only things I want are a keyboard for the iPhone and I know that just ain't gonna happen, I just want Snow Leopard to arrive just to see if its any faster than Leopard, and finally, I want the Apple Tablet not to be just a tablet, and also not to suck. It would be nice if I could leave my Air at home sometimes for something a bit cheaper, and I have been waiting for some sort of news before breaking down and buying a Dell or similar and smacking MacOS onto it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I'm keeping my expectations low, and hope for surprises. The next iPhone is almost a certainty with the iTunes update and apps all over the WWDC banners. I expect a 30 minute borefest of an iPhone API walkthrough and some demos. I'm more interested in Snow Leopard and what direction OSX is going to go in from there, Grand Central and Snow Leopard server. Would Final Cut Studio be demo'd?

Blackhead

Redarse
MrSeaneyC said:
Alas the only things I want are a keyboard for the iPhone and I know that just ain't gonna happen, I just want Snow Leopard to arrive just to see if its any faster than Leopard, and finally, I want the Apple Tablet not to be just a tablet, and also not to suck. It would be nice if I could leave my Air at home sometimes for something a bit cheaper, and I have been waiting for some sort of news before breaking down and buying a Dell or similar and smacking MacOS onto it.
When 3.0 drops I expect third party manufacturers to make keyboards for the iPhone to use with either the WiFi, Bluetooth or as a plug in

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I would be happy with... New iPhone with very minor cosmetic changes (just a new back/bezel will be fine); would like it with a bit more RAM to smooth things out a bit.

MMS, video recording, camera with autofocus...
...can't think of anything else.

Juice

Charred Greyface said:
When 3.0 drops I expect third party manufacturers to make keyboards for the iPhone to use with either the WiFi, Bluetooth or as a plug in

Hmm. The Device API only applies to apps designed for the device; likewise BlueTooth/WiFi data sharing would need to be in a custom application.

I don't see how a third party could sell a keyboard that would work with anything other than apps designed to work with it.

MrSeaneyC

Charred Greyface said:

What I really want is something that slides out, either sideways like an HTC Touch Pro, or out the bottom, like the Pre. Or even something like my E71. But that is never going to happen in a million years, so what you've mentioned is the best I can hope for. I already own an iGo Bluetooth keyboard from my old WinMo smartphones, but doubt there would be any driver support for it now, which is a shame really, as it's a damn good keyboard for what it is.

Does anyone actually expect marble to be involved tomorrow seeing as surely they wouldn't just suddenly magic it into the Snow Leopard seeds they've been dishing out until now?

Mr Jared

Im definitely due for an iPhone upgrade. Really, anything that improves upon the 3G but with a better battery life (See? Now we're dreaming) and I'm on board, day one.

jts

...hate me...
3,2Mpx with auto-focus and shutter button, frontal camera, Nike+ support, upped general specs, OLED, 32GB, white version.

That is all I want.

Flash support however would be a megaton, won't happen though :(

Sean

Banned
Can't wait, Apple keynotes are always exciting for me.

I wouldn't even care if the new iPhone was a minor upgrade, I'm still getting one. Better camera with video recording and more RAM/CPU (which means apps launch/load faster) is good enough for me.

v4gr4nt

Is it possible to enable Nike+ support via an update?. I mean, all they need is the bluetooth already included in every Iphone, right?... right?

based on how awesome the keynote is, and how awesome the new iphone is i'm giving up my trusty nokia 6682 and finally upgrading my 5 year old phone.

Sean

Banned
Solideliquid said:
Which twitter app is prefered by AppleGAF?

I use Tweetie on both the iPhone and Mac, but TwitterFon is a good alternative on the iPhone - it's fast and free with one tiny unobtrusive ad at the top.

jvalioli

Verizon? If the iPhone did come to Verizon what are they chances that it'd even be somewhat decent with all the stuff Verizon does to its phones?

jts

...hate me...
E3 spoiled me, having no live video of this is ugh. And is Apple actually going to sell WWDC 09 presentation videos?? lmao

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet!
Don't work tomorrow!
I need a new iPhone so bad. Mine is so beat up.

Top Bottom