• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Capndrake said:
A few new OFLC DSiWare/WiiWare ratings:

-Dragon Quest Wars (Square Enix, DSiWare)
-Moki Moki (Natsume, WiiWare)
-Reel Fishing Challenge (Natsume, WiiWare)
-Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2 - The Siege of Spinner Cay (Telltale Games, WiiWare)

Ohhh shit son... Urge to buy DSi... rising!!!

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm... is one who takes part in the Dragon Quest Wars a Dragon Quest Warrior?

Intelligent Systems designed Dragon Quest turn-based strategy game. You will be a Dragon Quest Warrior.

EmCeeGramr said:
Guess I'm gonna have to kill Anihawk next week too.

man anihawk this just hasn't been your week

tz807.jpg

Aru

AniHawk said:
Oh, so they're Zelda fanboys too. That's good to know, since every Zelda fanboy out there understands a Zelda game by Retro would be shit.

I'd like to see Zelda Prime: Future Hyrule :D

farnham

Banned
whats this retro hate

i can understand that some people dont dig metroid prime because of its structure or controls

but why hate retro as a whole.. they are obviously a skilled dev team

ksamedi

AniHawk said:
Oh, so they're Zelda fanboys too. That's good to know, since every Zelda fanboy out there understands a Zelda game by Retro would be shit.

Yeah, I sure hope they're making a spin off or something. The real Zelda should be made by talented people.

upandaway

ksamedi said:
Yeah, I sure hope they're making a spin off or something. The real Zelda should be made by talented people.
I don't wanna derail the thread more, but dude, the recent Zeldas aren't exactly the best things in the world, and ST is ridiculously 'safe'.

Talented or not, Zelda should be made by people who give a fuck about the franchise.

beje

Banned
upandaway said:
I don't wanna derail the thread more, but dude, the recent Zeldas aren't exactly the best things in the world, and ST is ridiculously 'safe'.

Talented or not, Zelda should be made by people who give a fuck about the franchise.

if "giving a fuck about the franchise" means having another mechanic-wise clonic Zelda with the same puzzles, structure, riddles, development, deja-vu all over it and "ohnoes, zelda's being kidnapped, go rescue her", I'd rather have ST.

The franchise has a serious problem right now: it's too damn easy and obvious for experienced players and it's a hell to figure out for people that haven't played a zelda at the same time. I mean, an experienced player sees an eye in a square and immediatly gets the bow out, or looks for deku sticks/fire arrows as soon as there's an unlit torch. A newby to the series can spend hours walking in circles without even noticing these elements in the dungeon. This has to change as soon as possible.

upandaway

beje said:
if "giving a fuck about the franchise" means having another mechanic-wise clonic Zelda with the same puzzles, structure, riddles, development, deja-vu all over it and "ohnoes, zelda's being kidnapped, go rescue her", I'd rather have ST.

The franchise has a serious problem right now: it's too damn easy and obvious for experienced players and it's a hell to figure out for people that haven't played a zelda at the same time. I mean, an experienced player sees an eye in a square and immediatly gets the bow out, or looks for deku sticks/fire arrows as soon as there's an unlit torch. A newby to the series can spend hours walking in circles without even noticing these elements in the dungeon. This has to change as soon as possible.
I don't think you got my post man. I meant exactly the opposite of what you think I meant.

ST will be exactly what you're complaining about. That's what I meant by saying that Nintendo does not care about Zelda. They're not putting any thought at all into the game structure, just building on what they created 16 (17?) years ago, therefore ST is 'safe'.

Oscar in Toyland hitting DSiWare this Friday

press:
This fabulous jump and run game is easy to play, packed with hours of fun & non-stop action, 100’s of collectables & surprises!

In psychedelic Worlds of Candy, Soda Pop, Amusement Park Rides, Board Games, Fantasy Land & more, meeting lots of cool Toys and Animals in hidden rooms and Bonus and Bogus mini games. Use Wings to Fly, Springy Shoes to Jump and Oscar’s secret weapon – his magical Yo-Yo to swing on and zap enemies in some of the craziest platform levels you’ll ever play!

Oscar in Toyland – a platformer you must NOT miss !

Price: 800 Points

screen01.jpg

screen05.jpg

screen07.jpg

screen03.jpg

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ISsXcEx64

It looks like a SNES platformer! A must download for me this night. I report back in after i took it for a ride.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Actually the style and colours are much more reminiscent of gaming computers like the Amiga. Reminds me of Zool and another platform game whose name I forgot. I think the hero was an ant.

Kilrogg said:
Actually the style and colours are much more reminiscent of gaming computers like the Amiga. Reminds me of Zool and another platform game whose name I forgot. I think the hero was an ant.

Funnily enough its actually supposedly a sequel to an old SNES/Amiga platformer called Oscar, so you're both right!

Captain N

Kobun Heat said:
This should be the motto for these threads.

I guess it all depends on all of the clocks to put out.

Does anyone know what systems the DSi could emulate?

Neo Geo?
Turbo16?
Could it runn all SNES games? Super Mario RPG?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
iamaustrian said:
It looks like a SNES platformer! A must download for me this night. I report back in after i took it for a ride.
don't spare those impressions.

upandaway

Capndrake said:
It's actually sort of a VC game, because it's really the Amiga game Trolls with the main character changed:
Pray tell me, who is this fine developer who thought this ingenious way of swiftly dodging all of Nintendo's efforts to prevent the poor DSiWare from getting its own Virtual Console?

CTLance

How, pray tell, can someone be "burned" by Toki Tori?

It's an awesome puzzler. Were you expecting a platformer or something?

CTLance

SovanJedi said:
I can - my brain was fucking sizzled after trying to get through Bubble Barrage.
Oh, THAT kind of burned. Yeah, that happens. The game is just that good. I think my brain segfaulted on several of the later levels. So awesome.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
CTLance said:
Oh, THAT kind of burned. Yeah, that happens. The game is just that good. I think my brain segfaulted on several of the later levels. So awesome.

The game is EVIL. Like, purely triple-filtered smooth peanut butter evil. I am really too terrified to go back and actually finish those last levels. That little yellow bastard is laughing at me from the SD card. I can hear him right now. Oh god I can hear him.

...so if Cave Story doesn't come out tomorrow I'm going to have a few words with that guy who said it would come out in August. The one hiding in the Cave Story topic. You all know him. Maybe.

Capndrake

EU update:

WiiWare:
-Mr. Driller W (800 points, Namco Bandai)
-Texas Hold'em Poker (600 points, Gameloft)

DSiWare:
-Oscar in Toyland (800 points, Virtual Playground)

the-iek

-Oscar in Toyland (800 points, Virtual Playground)
About half an hour in and so far, the game is rather shitty. Every world has three levels, where you have to collect a certain amount of baby Oscars. If you've collected enough of the brats, you can go to the end of the stage, where you'll be able to finish the level by touching a specific character. The three worlds I played had the same formula in common, let's hope there are some other mission types later on.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
upandaway said:
Pray tell me, who is this fine developer who thought this ingenious way of swiftly dodging all of Nintendo's efforts to prevent the poor DSiWare from getting its own Virtual Console?

... except it's not "Virtual ___" in any way, shape, or form; it's merely a port of a preexisting game. It's no more "virtual console" than Dr. Mario Express is.

Top Bottom