• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA + Europe hardware installed base

11t78dv.jpg

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
So what are the offical WW number for PS3 then ? I'm interested to see approximately how many PS3's there are outside of NA and the EU ?

dolemite

lowrider007 said:
So what are the offical WW number for PS3 then ? I'm interested to see approximately how many PS3's there are outside of NA and the EU ?
Just add the Media Create or Famitsu or Dengeki numbers to it. Every other territory is not tracked and subject to speculation.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
dolemite said:
Just add the Media Create or Famitsu or Dengeki numbers to it. Every other territory is not tracked and subject to speculation.

I was thinking take away the above NA & EU number from the most trusted WW numbers to get approximately how many PS3's there are outside of NA and the EU, what is the approximate WW numbers for PS3 ?

laserbeam

Banned
Kilrogg said:
I mean, it doesn't make any sense to me. Does someone have a convincing theory on why they should do that?
Honestly I was wondering the same thing. Both platforms are very different but maybe not how they view it

What's the LTD in Japan for the three consoles?

e: (rough)

8 million Wii
3 million PS3
1 million 360

for the record

this makes it

48 million Wii
47 million PS360

oh shit?

Taurus

So what data is missing to get worldwide numbers? Add Media-create and we have Japan, others? Is Australia counted there?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Taurus said:
So what data is missing to get worldwide numbers? Add Media-create and we have Japan, others? Is Australia counted there?

I think in Japan it's around 8m Wii, 3m PS3 and 1m 360. Australia in not Europe nor USA. :p

Aaron Strife said:

Code:
|System |  This Week  |  Last Week  |        YTD  |         LTD  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  NDS  |     92,747  |    106,918  |  2,038,467  |  27,158,102  |
|  PSP  |     30,523  |     24,053  |  1,275,757  |  12,633,860  |
|  WII  |     23,995  |     20,807  |    714,083  |   8,193,060  |
|  PS3  |      8,997  |      8,865  |    628,859  |   3,251,327  |
|  PS2  |      3,305  |      3,352  |    146,358  |  21,545,887  |
|  360  |      3,080  |      2,899  |    245,024  |   1,074,461  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  DSi  |     80,362  |     96,986  |  1,706,034  |   2,937,393  |
|  DSL  |     12,385  |      9,932  |    332,433  |  17,635,238  |

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16899908#post16899908

dolemite

Taurus said:
Yes, Aus is tracked by GfK/Chart Track, New Zealand too, I believe.

Dali

What did Xbox look like to PS2 at this point in the game? It seems like this is much closer when you factor in Japan. I'm thinking unless 360's lead and the disparity begin to grow exponentially PS3 won't become irrelevant the way the Xbox did.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
jvm said:
Probably beaten, but I recall that Activision has always combined "Handhelds" in its 10-K/10-Q data. I remember going through over a year ago and being frustrated with that particular point.

Ah, thanks for that tidbit. Doesn't explain why they would do that, but at least it shows that they're being consistent.

It doesn't make sense because they're different systems from different manufacturers. One could even argue that they're very different in hardware, software and general philosophy.

Maybe they don't consider handhelds important, or that each handheld console isn't relevant enough on its own to be considered as an individual platform, unlike consoles. It would be a ludicrous stance to take, but it wouldn't surprise me.

[EDIT] Just read your edit. Welp, they're not even consistent then. Does not compute.

Taurus

Aaron Strife said:

8 million Wii
3 million PS3
1 million 360

for the record

this makes it

48 million Wii
47 million PS360

oh shit?
50% market share then? BAM!

Kilrogg said:
Ah, thanks for that tidbit. Doesn't explain why they would do that, but at least it shows that they're being consistent.

It doesn't make sense because they're different systems from different manufacturers. One could even argue that they're very different in hardware, software and general philosophy.

Maybe they don't consider handhelds important, or that each handheld console isn't relevant enough on its own to be considered as an individual platform, unlike consoles. It would be a ludicrous stance to take, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think you are over-reacting a bit to a chart...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Taurus said:
I know that. :) But since Australia is counted as PAL territory I was wondering if its numbers were there...

Ah ok. :)

Well, they mention "Europe". I assume they mean it. Or not? Does GfK track Australia as well?

Sadist

Aaron Strife said:

8 million Wii
3 million PS3
1 million 360

for the record

this makes it

48 million Wii
47 million PS360

oh shit?
Ruh oh

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stoney Mason said:
I think you are over-reacting a bit to a chart...

Well, I'm just trying to make sense of something that doesn't make sense to me on the surface. When that happens, I usually go for a reason that sounds stupid, because stupidity isn't that rare in this industry. I'd like it if someone with more financial/industry knowledge than me would tell us why Activision Blizzard does that.

Also, I have free time on my hands and like sales/biz-age ;).

[Nintex]

Dali said:
What did Xbox look like to PS2 at this point in the game? It seems like this is much closer when you factor in Japan. I'm thinking unless 360's lead and the disparity begin to grow exponentially PS3 won't become irrelevant the way the Xbox did.
21l907r.jpg

The GameCube and Xbox were just too late to ever catch up with the PS2.

oto

Neo Member
[Nintex] said:
21l907r.jpg

The GameCube and Xbox were just too late to ever catch up with the PS2.

Sony can never live down this Powerpoint slide, it seems. Arrogance leads the fall.

Kilrogg said:
Well, I'm just trying to make sense of something that doesn't make sense to me on the surface. When that happens, I usually go for a reason that sounds stupid, because stupidity isn't that rare in this industry. I'd like it if someone with more financial/industry knowledge than me would tell us why Activision Blizzard does that.

Also, I have free time on my hands and like sales/biz-age ;).

If I was to guess I would say it's because both make up a very low percentage of their overall revenue so they just think it makes more sense to combine them for that specific chart. They break down revenue by platform in their report which is more important from their perspective.

Code:
System			Revenue		% of Total

MMORPG 			$ 324,000,000	31 % 
Microsoft Xbox 360 	$ 231,000,000	22 %
PlayStation 3 		$ 152,000,000	15 %
Nintendo Wii 		$ 118,000,000	11 %
Nintendo DS		$ 48,000,000	5 %
PlayStation 2 		$ 44,000,000	4 %
PC and other 		$ 41,000,000	4 %
PlayStation Portable 	$ 17,000,000	2 %

Total			$ 975,000,00	100 %

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stoney Mason said:
If I was to guess I would say it's because both make up a very low percentage of their overall revenue so they just think it makes more sense to combine them for that specific chart. They break down revenue by platform in their report which is more important from their perspective.

Code:
System			Revenue		% of Total

MMORPG 			$ 324,000,000	31 % 
Microsoft Xbox 360 	$ 231,000,000	22 %
PlayStation 3 		$ 152,000,000	15 %
Nintendo Wii 		$ 118,000,000	11 %
Nintendo DS		$ 48,000,000	5 %
PlayStation 2 		$ 44,000,000	4 %
PC and other 		$ 41,000,000	4 %
PlayStation Portable 	$ 17,000,000	2 %

Total			$ 975,000,00	100 %

Thanks. THIS makes more sense :p.

laserbeam

Banned
DrForester said:
I love how with that chart they expect to top this year what 360 will ever do in projected years.

I still prefer the chart where the Wii actually loses installbase from one year to the next

xbhaskarx

A lot of people complain about this generation of consoles, but there's no denying that it gave us the best charts.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
PS3 is 10 million behind the 360 worldwide?

That's surprising.. I thought it was a bit closer.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StoOgE said:
PS3 is 10 million behind the 360 worldwide?

That's surprising.. I thought it was a bit closer.

It's 9 worldwide.

11m behind in USA and EU - 2m ahead in Japan.

Top Bottom