• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA + Europe hardware installed base

Chinner

Banned
tass0 said:
Ah yes, I do remember reading Microsoft add replaced 360s as sold 360s..
We also must question how many MULTIPLE console owners there are out there. Due to the low price of the arcade sku I know that there has been many reports on X360 owners double dipping so that they can have X360s in different rooms of the house. This will artificially inflate numbers and will have no real effect on software sales. In reality you could probably cut that 27 million down to about 25 million.

tass0

Banned
Chinner said:
We also must question how many MULTIPLE console owners there are out there. Due to the low price of the arcade sku I know that there has been many reports on X360 owners double dipping so that they can have X360s in different rooms of the house. This will artificially inflate numbers and will have no real effect on software sales. In reality you could probably cut that 27 million down to about 25 million.

Someone's getting a bit too extreme ¬_¬

Chinner

Banned
tass0 said:
Someone's getting a bit too extreme ¬_¬
One thing we also know is that NPD etc does not factor in how many consoles have been returned and traded in. It is natural to assume that the X360 has a high return break because they break allot, but it also natural to assume that many X360 owners will see the PS3 as the natural 'true next gen' upgrade and will probably upgrade to that or alternatively they may have children and trade in their X360s for Wiis (and I suspect that trade in figures for X360 for Wiis will increase with COD:MW being announced for Wii). I figure if you strip away another 2 million sales for that the X360 is hovering around 23 million and it doesn't take a scientist to see that now the X360 has no real lead over the PS3.
I have to inform you, good sir, that I am not joking and I am in fact quite serious.

tass0

Banned
Chinner said:
One thing we also know is that NPD etc does not factor in how many consoles have been returned and traded in. It is natural to assume that the X360 has a high return break because they break allot, but it also natural to assume that many X360 owners will see the PS3 as the natural 'true next gen' upgrade and will probably upgrade to that or alternatively they may have children and trade in their X360s for Wiis (and I suspect that trade in figures for X360 for Wiis will increase with COD:MW being announced for Wii). I figure if you strip away another 2 million sales for that the X360 is hovering around 23 million and it doesn't take a scientist to see that now the X360 has no real lead over the PS3.

9uooyc.png

goomba

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
What's the LTD in Japan for the three consoles?

e: (rough)

8 million Wii
3 million PS3
1 million 360

for the record

this makes it

48 million Wii
47 million PS360

oh shit?

:eek: This calculation deserves its own thread with an over the top attention whore hyperbole title

ShinNL

Chinner said:

I have to inform you, good sir, that I am not joking and I am in fact quite serious.
Nice glasses you have on there. Can I borrow them? I want to see the way you see it... xD

Have we really gotten to the point where we're using console manufacturer's shipped numbers to downplay NPD and Chart Track numbers?

If >90% of the largest western third party's revenue is coming from the listed territories, does anyone really think the install bases of Israel, Romania, Argentina, and the Phillipines are really going to change the relative differences?

All 3 companies clearly have quite a few systems in the channel, it just looks more pronounced for Sony as they have the smallest install base. Given the numbers we already have for Q1 in Chart Track/NPD versus shipped totals, it's obvious, at least to me, that Sony shipped quite a bit more than they sold to get numbers similar to MS (I believe it was 1.3 million to 1.2 million), even if the absolute number being purchased wasn't that close.

If they're going to even approach their 13 million FY estimate, they'll have to overship by at least 3-4 million units.

deepbrown said:
BTW - Gfk doesn't track all European countries (might be obvious, but they leave out significant countries)
KongRudi said:
The European countries covered for this retail tracking project are:
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the UK.
There's really no-one significant missing there (unless 1-2% of the total sales are significant).

Taurus

tass0 said:
Well, Sony have recently stated that the PS3 install base is now 23.8m and Microsoft have recently stated they have 30 million 360s shipped so..
Sold to retailers is not the same as sold to customers, or is it?

deepbrown

Psychotext said:
There's really no-one significant missing there (unless 1-2% of the total sales are significant).
This is what I've read Gfk tracks:

"France, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Czech Republic and Australia"

Missing Germany, Italy and Ireland.

PS. Activision has upped its 360 prediction by 1 million and lowered its ps3 and Wii predictions by 1 million each.

deepbrown

Draft said:
PS3 is killing the Xbox in Uzbekistan.
Uh...I wasn't talking about "OMG the PS3 is selling more than the Xbox in these countries." I was saying that there's numbers missing for each consoles in Europe - since Gfk doesn't cover all of Europe. Sorry for trying to point out where the missing numbers are.

Taurus said:
Sold to retailers is not the same as sold to customers, or is it?
Apparently Microsoft reports shipped and Sony reports Sold (changed since 2008) Though I'm not too sure.

deepbrown said:

Are you sure? Their HQ is in Germany.

Edit: you wouldn't be confusing GfK with retailer Game, would you?
Game's numbers only include those European countries where Game stores are located, so only France, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, the Czech Republic, and Australia are represented, leaving out notable countries such as Germany and Italy
http://kotaku.com/5222722/lifetime-pal-console-sales-figures-get

deepbrown said:
Apparently Microsoft reports shipped and Sony reports Sold (changed since 2008) Though I'm not too sure.

They both report units sold to retailers, Sony used to report units shipped to warehouses AFAIK.

deepbrown

GarthVaderUK said:
They both report units sold to retailers, Sony used to report units shipped to warehouses AFAIK.
Ah, I thought it wasn't as clear cut. That's great info - B3d would be interested.

deepbrown said:

I don't think that's accurate.

Here's what they say for software, I don't see any reason why hardware should be different (they do mention the hardware report at the end though):

Chart-Track and GfK are now collaborating to produce reports on the European Leisure Software market, through a sample of more than 12,000 retail outlets across Europe.

The European countries covered for this retail tracking project are:
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Newsflash

Now in its 8th year of collaboration, Chart-Track and GfK are pleased to announce the launch of the 2007 Software and 2007 Hardware Reports.
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/euro/index.jsp

Dali said:
What did Xbox look like to PS2 at this point in the game? It seems like this is much closer when you factor in Japan. I'm thinking unless 360's lead and the disparity begin to grow exponentially PS3 won't become irrelevant the way the Xbox did.
The thing is, the Xbox was never irrelevant in the general sense. It's life was cut short because its hardware, i.e the standard HDD, made it a money losing proposition that had no hope of ever turning any substantial profit. Extrapolate from that what you will about the situation the PS3 finds itself in at the moment .

Top Bottom