• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Hughes Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Aristotlekh said:
I give John Landis a lifetime pass for The Blues Brothers. I will defend him to the death for how hard it was to get that thing made, and what a perfect movie it wound up being.

Mother fucker made Animal House, Blues Brothers, Coming to America, Trading Places, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos and THRILLER

I don't care how shitty Beverly Hills Cop 3 and Blues Brothers 2000 are.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
scream.gif

KAP151

Home Alone
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Uncle Buck
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pretty in Pink
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Sixteen Candles

Personal favourites. God, that's so sad when I look at that list. Lots of great memories.

SonicMegaDrive said:
I get it, god. You want me to get over the 80's.

Well, no deal.

RIP Mr. Hughes, and thanks for the laughs.

The 80s were shit. We probably just remember it idyllically because our parents were likely young and life hadn't beat them down yet.

Movies were better though. So was music until 1985, when the very notion of innovation hit the wall and didn't return until like 1989, 1990.

tmdorsey

Like people having been saying, this year is killing off major 80s icons. I have and can watch his movies over and over. R.I.P

Porridge

RIP Mr Hughes

He's responsible for so many classics and they all had his own personal touch. I loved his movies and I always will. Thanks for the great memories...

gdt

Damn.

How many fucking movies of his did I watch as a kid? Too many to count.

RIP
God a new asshole John!

MrSeaneyC

Fuck, I love the 80s and this man was responsible was for some of the funniest films ever made in that era.

Just the other day i had to lend my friend Ferris, Planes Trains and Buck as she'd never heard of Hughes, and she studied film at uni. Unbelievable. Needless to say she now owns copies.

RIP dude :(

Shaneus

Completely forgot about this scene from Dogma:

Bethany: McHenry is pretty far from Jersey, might I ask what brings you guys to Illinois?
Jay: Some fuck named John Hughes.
Bethany: "16 Candles" John Hughes?
Jay: You know him too? That fucking guy. Made this flick "16 Candles" right? Not bad it's got tits in it, but no bush. Of course Ebert over here don't give a shit about that stuff cause he's all in love with this John Hughes guy and rents every one of his movies. Fucking "Breakfast Club" all these stupid kids actually show up to detention, fucking "Weird Science" where this one chick wants to take off her gear and get down, but aw, no she don't cause it's a PG movie, and then there's "Pretty In Pink" which I can't watch with this tubby muthafucker any more, because everytime we get to the part where the red head hooks up with her dream guy, he starts sobbin' like a little eight-year-old with a skinned knee and shit. And nothing is worse then watching a fat man weep.

black_13

Banned
RIP.

Didn't this guy practically invent the teen flick genre? And now we needed him more than ever with the trash being put out.

Xenon

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Wow, so sad to hear. RIP man.

I will watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles in tribute tonight. =(

Enk

makes good threads.
So the man who defined the music of the 80's, and the man who defined the films of 80's died this year. So who defined the books and games of that decade? Stephen King and Miyamoto? uh oh

Jasoco

Banned
His movies are some of my favorite movies ever. Man this sucks. And so young.

Damn, I haven't seen a movie of his that I didn't love.

M. Night is going to make a movie next year where the cause of all the celebrities dying in 2009 is the result of some weird virus we don't know about.

Himuro said:
I DEMAND A FERRIS BUELLER GAF WATCH

RIP
I SECOND THIS REQUEST

jakncoke

Banned
This fucking sucks, I like a lot of stuff he wrote and Breakfast Club is awesome as well,

Things that he wrote that I enjoy...

Home Alone 3- It was an okay movie.
Baby's Day Out- Good
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York- Good
Beethoven- I like it
Home Alone- Good
Christmas Vacation- Good
Uncle Buck- Good
The Great Outdoors- Good
Ferris Buellers Day Off- Good
European Vacation- Alright
Sixteen Candles- Good

Then he directed The Breakfast Club

fuck me freddy

LM4sure

Banned
He made some of the best movies of the 80's. I had no idea he was still alive though. Now I'm sad that I know he's dead. The motherfuckin Breakfast Club. The definitive movie of the 80's

Spooks

shit :(. I found out while I was at work and told my fellow co-worker who is a huuuge movie buff. We discussed all the great movies Hughes was a part of.

R.I.P John Hughes. I'll have to watch Breakfast Club now.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is one of my all-time favorites. John Candy is so awesome in that movie. I watch it at least once a year.

Cheebs

Of the 7 (out of 8) films he directed I've seen I'd say my preference would be

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
2. Planes, Trains, & Automobiles
3. Sixteen Candles
4. Uncle Buck
5. The Breakfast Club
6. Weird Science
7. She's Having a Baby

Never saw Curly Sue.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Agreed with those saying 2009 is a bad year. The last few months have been shit too, in both the non-personal and personal life level. :(

Maximus.

RIP. Ferris Buellers Day Off and many 80 hits are movies i will always remember. 2009 hasnt been a good year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom