• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Hughes Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He wrote "Home Alone?" I had no clue.

R.I.P.--loved Home Alone and National Lampoon's Vacation.

He made some timeless films and this is very sad.
Saddest part is that the remake sharks will be out in force to pick the bones clean.

shuri

Banned
I thought he was much older! But I've read somewhere that he lived as a recluse lately.. Don't forget that he was behind the home alone movies and Uncle Buck

It's awesome how he always managed to perfectly show how family life is sometimes.

Rashanii

Neo Member
home-alone-lr.jpg

Cheebs

John Dunbar said:
your name is candles?
They saw the movie Sixteen Candles when my mom was pregnant and decided to name me Jake, after the character in it Molly Ringwald had a thing for.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I had a look at his IMDb page after looking through this thread and, as things would have it, I've never seen one his directorial efforts and only two of the movies he wrote. Huh.

C4Lukins

Cosmic Bus said:
I had a look at his IMDb page after looking through this thread and, as things would have it, I've never seen one his directorial efforts and only two of the movies he wrote. Huh.

This says more about your viewing habits then his career.

Huge loss. I kept waiting for him to make a comeback, but I guess he pretty much retired 20 years ago.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

WedgeX

Banned
RIP :(

That's too young to die.

Just a question but...was he just living off of the money he made in the late 80s/early 90s? Because he really dropped off writing things (according to imdb at least) in the 00s aside from sequels, which is sad. But if was just enjoying time with his family post-success, good on him.

Ummm fake edit.

Apparently he did retire to spend time with his family. At least he had that time with them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
C4Lukins said:
This says more about your viewing habits then his career.

Oh, I wasn't trying to slight his work in any way, just commenting on how it surprised me a bit to find I'd apparently never seen his films. He was obviously a significant talent and influence for a period of time, but I don't think these movies particularly appeal to me.

Tobor

This is indeed a sad day.

As a kid in the eighties, his movies really shaped my vision of what I wanted high school to be like. Reality could never live up, of course, but watching those great movies now always comforts me, like hot chocolate on a snowy day.

I remember seeing Ferris Beuller's Day Off in a crowded theater in 1986. I was only 10, and I thought Ferris was God.

SnakeswithLasers said:
It's dangerous as fuck to be in your 50s. =/

It's when hard living catches up with you, and what's spooky is that even if you cleaned up, it can just happen, just like that, when you're walking down the street or reading the paper. That sucks.

Edit - Although, luckily for me, all the dead members of my blood family made it to their 90s. All 8 of my great-grandparents. I had an aunt who married in who died of ovarian cancer, but I consider that a fluke. I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER.

jtb

Banned
Are you telling me that Ferris Bueller's Day Off was directed by the same guy who directed The Breakfast Club? Mind=Blown.

RIP.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Like John Landis, his body lived long after his talent had died. Still, he left quite a legacy... fucking love everything he touched through 1989.

harryz

Banned
R.I.P. John.

Empire magazine did a great article on him a year back, hope they publish it online in memory of him.

TAJ said:
Like John Landis, his body lived long after his talent had died. Still, he left quite a legacy... fucking love everything he touched through 1989.

I give John Landis a lifetime pass for The Blues Brothers. I will defend him to the death for how hard it was to get that thing made, and what a perfect movie it wound up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom