• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wizardry DS - Trailer - You will say wow!

Yaweee

Hopefully it gets released in the US. I'd consider it likely, unless there are any licensing issues (which I don't think are an issue any more if I understand the sale of the Wizardry rights correctly).

Did I interpret the timer scene correctly? A dungeon with a rising water level, and a timer until you eventually drown? That looks pretty bad ass.

nincompoop said:
Etrian Odyssey pwned

Wizardry might look better, but its hard to compare the two at this point. EO's strength was in its fantastic dungeon design, and we know nothing of Wizardry's approach. It could be filled with a bunch of esoteric "puzzles" like The Dark Spire, for all we know.

Serph

Banned
omfg. I said "wow". Can't wait for this. The dude singing opera style during one of the songs sounded just like Dark Spire.... same composer maybe?

Yaweee

Serph said:
omfg. I said "wow". Can't wait for this. The dude singing opera style during one of the songs sounded just like Dark Spire.... same composer maybe?

Nay. Wizardry DS and the PS3 game are both Kenji Ito.

EDIT: I could be wrong, though. Sources say he is doing the "Theme Music", which could be interpreted as limited involvement.

Anyway, it's been a mighty fine summer for old-school RPG announcements.

john tv

I love Wizardry, and this certainly doesn't look -bad- or anything, but...why am I saying wow exactly? :) The monsters look like they don't even animate, and the dungeon graphics are average at best. What's the wow for?

RedBoot

Looks good, better than I expected. They're certainly using some DS-specific aspects there, such as the sliding puzzle and the "tap the wall down" sections. Nice thing to see, since Dark Spire didn't really do anything touch screen related and Etrian limited it to mapmaking. I think I could go for a dungeon crawler with some DS gimmicks, if only because we haven't really had one yet.

I wonder how much character creation we get. The trailer seems to suggest a specific main character, although I guess there could be other art choices.

I'm just happy that the first person dungeon crawler is finally getting a resurgence of sorts, with Dark Spire and Class of Heroes earlier this year, Persona PSP coming soon, and hopefully this, Wizardry PS3, Strange Journey, and Class of Heroes 2 all coming over.

duckroll

john tv said:
I love Wizardry, and this certainly doesn't look -bad- or anything, but...why am I saying wow exactly? :) The monsters look like they don't even animate, and the dungeon graphics are average at best. What's the wow for?

It certainly looks better than most first person dungeon crawlers for the DS. It's about as smooth as EO, but with realtime traps and stuff. The monster designs look rad too! Too bad it's an Amazon Japan exclusive, so I guess I won't be playing it anyway. Lol.

Looks impressive. I like the fact that there's interactive traps and hazards to avoid in real time, or things like stabbing your stylus on a cracked wall to knock it down.

magicalsoundshower said:
Same here, from what I've read, the JRPG Wizardry spin-offs are nowhere as good as the originals. :/

I dunno, but I do know that Tale of the Forsaken Land is a badass dungeon crawler. If this is half as good, it will be worth playing.

McNum

Not bad at all.

So they use the all the 3D power of the DS on environment and use sprites for the monsters? That's a pretty nice approach. Also the character portraits look awesome. That's how the portraits and units from Fire Emblem DS should have looked.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
duckroll said:
I'm not following any lame meme, I'm just speaking the truth.

The whole "you will say wow" thing was started by Iwata iirc...

Anyways I was impressed, didn't say wow though. :)

Briarios

Is this from the same team that did Busin: Wizardry Alternative? I loved that game ... I still have the soundtrack.

I remember playing all the way through Bane of the Cosmic Forge back in the day. I was amazed when I finally beat it, that game was brutal as hell. I picked up Crusaders of the Dark Savant, and never got anywhere with it.

Bummer, vid won't load at work...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
"©2009 Suzak" is making me skeptical enough not to, it looks nice though.

I say Amazon-exclusive and reject the possibility that this might turn out to be a good game.

That trailer does look good, though.

linsivvi

The real time traps were what made me say wow. Reminds me of Eye of the Beholder, which is one of my favorite dungeon crawlers ever.

Johann

TheUglyDrunk said:
I remember playing all the way through Bane of the Cosmic Forge back in the day. I was amazed when I finally beat it, that game was brutal as hell. I picked up Crusaders of the Dark Savant, and never got anywhere with it.

Bummer, vid won't load at work...

You kids don't know what hard is until you've played Wizardry IV. You are essentially a Wizard and a bunch of random monsters who are send to the slaughter. No amount of level-grinding or gold-farming can help you.

I get PTSD from that damn game.

Rufus

After playing Wizardry. The Forsaken land on PS2 and enjoying it much, much more than I though I would: Want.

I'd love an overhauled port of one of the classic Wizardry games or one of the other similar old-school RPGs (A Bard's Tale, Dragon Wars) but this looks nice.

larvi

A definite buy for me if it comes to the states. Wizardry IV is the only one that I couldn't get through back in the day. VI VII and VIII are still my favorites though.

Top Bottom