• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick [NDS] by the Ace Attorney writer

The game went pretty much unnnoticed next to the Okami whining, but 1UP put up first infos about Ghost Trick and it deserves some attention:

The title of the game is Ghost Trick, and it's worth paying attention to for the people behind it -- Hironobu Takeshita (Mega Man 9) is the producer, and Shu Takumi, main writer on the Ace Attorney series, is handling director duties.

Like Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick is chiefly a mystery adventure, but the resemblances end pretty quickly. The game stars Sisel, a flashy-looking guy in red who's just been shot to death for reasons unknown. He's currently in soul form, robbed of his memories, and he has to reconstruct his life and death in the few hours he's allotted before his soul disappears for good.

"I first thought of this idea about five years ago," Takumi told Famitsu magazine. "We were working on the third Ace Attorney and figured it was time to start thinking about the next thing. So I came up with a plan to make a new type of mystery, something different in style from Ace Attorney. I chose a portable platform because it matches well with the style of my games -- the close range between you and the small screen creates this in-the-game-world effect which I like."

Dying has given Sisel a remarkable amount of detective tools to work with. For one, he's allowed to go back and forth in the general timeframe around his death, witnessing previous events and reuniting with both his old friends and the hitman that ultimately killed him. He's no passive observer, though -- use the touch pen to drag his soul on top of other objects (umbrellas, ladders, bicycles, whatever), and his soul can possess the object, taking it over and moving it around. Combined with the time-jumping, this allows Sisel to rewrite his own history and even save the lives of others.

How all this unfolds will hopefully be revealed for good at TGS, where a playable version should be on display.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175846

The are Famitsu scans out there, too. I don't really like what I'm seeing there, but I give Shu Takumi the benefit of the doubt.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
2rr59j5.gif

I am a fan of his crazy storylines.

Sounds good to me.

I wonder if this is going to take the place of GyakuSai 5 next year or Capcom still has another surprise in store for TGS?

You know, I'll buy this pretty much immediately just based on the pedigree of Ace Attorney, but hasn't this concept / story been done to death in recent movies and such?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'm sold! need to buy a dsi soon so i can play my copy of AA4 that's just been sitting there :lol

Sipowicz

Banned
i dont understand what's going on in the screenshots though

the badguy (pimpy mcgee or whatever he's called) seems to have have pulled a shotgun on a woman and she's walking about with her hands in the air

it also looks like a sidescroller

duckroll

bon said:
You have my attention.

... they're still making AA5 though, right?

I don't see how it's possible. Shu Takumi is the creator, writer, planner and director of the AA series. If he's directing this, the chances of him also writing and directing AA5 are pretty slim.

ethelred

Neat! The story and gameplay premise sounds very cool, and I like this guy's work on the Ace Attorney series quite a bit, so I'm interested. I'm also fine with this pushing off the release of Ace Attorney 5 since I still need to play through 4 and since Investigations is still on its way.

RedNumberFive said:
You know, I'll buy this pretty much immediately just based on the pedigree of Ace Attorney, but hasn't this concept / story been done to death in recent movies and such?

That's the impression that I got from the initial read. It sounds generic in comparison with the Gyakuten Saiban series, although if the idea was conceptualised around Trials and Tribulations, which the article indicates, I'll invest my hope in the writing continuing in a similar vein to the pinnacle reached in T&T.

But if the localization is to be of any quality, we'll be lucky to see it in English by 2010 I feel.

duckroll said:
I don't see how it's possible. Shu Takumi is the creator, writer, planner and director of the AA series. If he's directing this, the chances of him also writing and directing AA5 are pretty slim.
But was he really involved with Apollo Justice? I can't find any credits in the manual and mobygames is a bit vague about his part in the games' development, but it appears he didn't have as much influence. Maybe the series doesn't rely on him anymore -- which would also explain why Gykuten Saiban 4 was so meh :I

I'll definitely look into this, as the writing/story for the AA games is incredible.

I really hope we do see an AA5 someday though. It's one of the best franchises in recent memory, and I hope they keep it an ongoing one.

duckroll

slaughterking said:
But was he really involved with Apollo Justice? I can't find any credits in the manual and mobygames is a bit vague about his part in the games' development, but it appears he didn't have as much influence. Maybe the series doesn't rely on him anymore -- which would also explain why Gykuten Saiban 4 was so meh :I

I guess you're right. Since the 4th game he's simply served as the series director, and probably has a supervision role as opposed to a more active one. He didn't direct Apollo Justice, and he didnt direct Miles Edgeworth either.

ShinNL

abstract alien said:
AA needs a break, and Im glad its getting one. I welcome Ghost Trick :D
Haruhi_Objection_by_ri_chan_glory.jpg

No, we need more traditional courtroom battles :O I wanna scream some objection! into my mic!

New mystery game by Takumi? Day One.

duckroll said:

I don't know if he'll be handling all the duties, but GS5 has been announced for like 2 years now. We know it's coming, just not anything else about it.

Dascu

I really like the visual style and the premise sounds awesome. Can't wait to see more on this title.

GCX

I think the visual style looks really nice. A lot more stylish approach than the art for Ace Attorney series.

I'll be there day one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Maybe he finished writing the story of the 5th game already, and want someone else to start directing the series?

Wizpig

lorddarkflare said:
No sale if it is not localized by A.O. Smith.
Ace Attorney games got good translations and only the first one was by A.O. Smith, so... that's not really a deal-breaker or anything.

Good news, but i wonder... if he will still work on AA 5 too.
Hopefully...

Ramenman

OMGGGG ITS THE ACE ATTORNEY WRITER OMG OMG

ACE ATTORNEY ! ACE ATTORNEY ! ACE ATTORNEY !

Now to actually read the op...

zoku88

Wizpig said:
Ace Attorney games got good translations and only the first one was by A.O. Smith, so... that's not really a deal-breaker or anything.

Good news, but i wonder... if he will still work on AA 5 too.
Hopefully...
There were always "lots" of spelling mistakes :-/

Wizpig

Oh yeah:

speedpop said:
Crapcom redeem themselves!
This.

and...

Ramenman said:
OMGGGG ITS THE ACE ATTORNEY WRITER OMG OMG

ACE ATTORNEY ! ACE ATTORNEY ! ACE ATTORNEY !
This.

slaughterking said:
If he really wasn't involved in Apollo Justice, whoever took his place did an awesome job, managed to stick to his "style" and everything.
It wasn't "meh".

Datschge

Finally a true Takumi game again after AA3. Already thought he may have left Capcom with all the other Clover related people.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Day 1, i'm excited for anything that comes from the AA writer. And the story sounds good, kinda reminds me of this PS2 game shadow of memories.

sfried

Datschge said:
Finally a true Takumi game again after AA3. Already thought he may have left Capcom with all the other Clover related people.
And we were just talking about Okamiden not being made by Clover people...

ethelred

Looks like the game is getting localized for 2010:

Capcom's recently announced Ghost Trick (working title) will be coming over to North America (release date TBD) for the Nintendo DS. From the creator of Ace Attorney, Shu Takumi, comes a unique game centered around amnesiac ghost, Sissel and his attempts to save innocent lives around him.

Release Date: TBD
Genre: Adventure
Rating: TBD
Developer: Capcom
Price: TBD
Platform: Nintendo DS

Director Shu Takumi, the original creator of Capcom’s Ace Attorney series, is back with a frighteningly fun adventure for the Nintendo DS. In Ghost Trick (working title for North America and Europe), players will follow the story of Sissel, an amnesiac ghost who must use his ghostly powers to protect the lives of innocent people while attempting to uncover the secrets behind his own untimely demise.

Sissel has the unique ability to possess and manipulate objects within the world. Using these abilities to his advantage, he returns to the 4 minutes before a character’s death to change their fate.

Ghost Trick is a story of mystery and intrigue that blends fun logic puzzles with the world of the supernatural, making for an entirely new and unique experience in the handheld gaming space. Part adventure game, part puzzle game, Ghost Trick’s gameplay will challenge player’s brains while its distinct art elements and character designs will deliver the fun.

Features:

The original creator/director of Phoenix Wright brings a new title to the Nintendo DS

Manipulate the physical world through supernatural possession – take control of inanimate objects and change the world! Change the fates of those around you – return to the 4 minutes before a character’s death to stop it from happening

Text adventure combined with logic puzzles makes for an exciting new challenge on the Nintendo DS

Over a dozen engaging chapters filled with entertaining, interrelated puzzles

Unique visual style and character designs

CAPCOM DEBUTS TWO NEW VIDEO GAMES AT TOKYO GAME SHOW

Sengoku BASARA Samurai Heroes, Ghost Trick Coming to North America and Europe in 2010
TOKYO, JAPAN — September 24, 2009 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, announced today that two titles on display at the 2009 Tokyo Game Show will be coming to North America and Europe in 2010. New Capcom titles Sengoku BASARA™ Samurai Heroes and Ghost Trick (working title for North America and Europe), displayed to the Japanese gaming public for the first time in Tokyo, will be making the transition to western gamers next year.

[...]

Ghost Trick combines mystery, logic puzzles and the supernatural into a new experience on Nintendo DS. Part adventure game, part puzzle game, Ghost Trick’s gameplay will challenge player’s brains while its distinctive art style and character designs courtesy of members of Capcom’s Ace Attorney® series, will please the eye. In Ghost Trick, players become Sissel, an amnesiac ghost who must use his ghostly powers to protect the lives of several people while attempting to uncover the secrets behind his own untimely demise. Sissel can “possess” items within the world, such as flicking a switch to shock an unwary assassin or floating a bike through the air to scare mortals and even rewind time by four minutes to prevent further deaths.

Some direct feed screens here.

Fodder76

SNAPS that looks great. I wonder if that animation quality is just something pumped up for the trailer, or if they can really keep that up in the actual game.

Anyway, this just rocketed up near the top of my most anticipated games list. (Mostly because of the man involved)

n8

Unconfirmed Member
ethelred said:
The original creator/director of Phoenix Wright brings a new title to the Nintendo DS
More games need this feature.

But really, that's great if this is localized 2010.

Top Bottom