• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story Official Thread

Captain N

mnlbox.jpg

Launch Date: 09/14/09
ESRB: E (Everyone): Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence
Game Type: Action Role-Playing Game
Players: 1
Developer: Nintendo/Alpha Dream​

binside.jpg

Mario & Luigi Show Their Intestinal Fortitude
In his evil plot to take over the Mushroom Kingdom, Fawful tricks Bowser™ into eating a magic mushroom. The mushroom causes Bowser to begin inhaling everything around him, including Mario™, Luigi™ and Princess Peach™! Do the Mario Bros. have the guts to rescue Peach and escape?

FEATURES:

• Players are in control of two separate storylines. One features Bowser and his efforts to stop an arch-villain from taking over his castle. Meanwhile, inside Bowser, the microbe-sized Mario & Luigi must muscle their way through challenges and keep their nerve if they want to find a way out. They take action to control Bowser from the inside - but without his knowledge.

• Players can switch between storylines at will. What happens inside Bowser affects what he's doing on the outside. Sometimes Mario & Luigi must solve puzzles and challenges behind the scenes to help Bowser overcome various obstacles and advance the plot.

• Players must make well-timed button presses to enhance their performance during battles and challenges. In some battles, Bowser grows so large that players must turn their Nintendo DS or Nintendo DSi™ system sideways, blow into the microphone or tap on the touch screen with the stylus to keep up with the action.

• The game features the same hilarious dialogue that has been the hallmark of the Mario & Luigi series.​

bis0.jpg
bis1.jpg
bis2.jpg
bis3.jpg
bis4.jpg
bis5.jpg

If anyone wants to help with a Banner please PM me and I'll have the art work.

HUELEN10

Remember to buy it at Toys"R"Us for a 10 USD giftcard this sunday apparently!

Shit looks cash, please be a good balance of 1 and 2 though (I liked 2).

I know a lot of people who have played Bowser's Inside Story say it's the best in the series, but I had a bunch of issues with 2 and I wonder if 3 fixes those.

- There was no overworld or exploration
- No towns outside of the the main castle town
- Bowser Jr. (I know technically not that character but it had his obnoxious personality)
- No or very few mini-games
- For anyone who may have played the English version already, does it have annoying internet memes? I rolled my eyes at the annoying r0xx0r j00r b0xx0rs crap that the Hammer Bros. spoke

Basically, I want 3 to exist as if 2 never happened

Edit: oh, and it only had like, ten bosses. wtf, an RPG with only ten bosses?

ethelred

Great. Really looking forward to this. I love the Mario RPGs, and all the praise this one seems to be getting as potentially the best of the whole lot has gotten me pretty excited. It certainly looks cool, and the addition of Bowser to the M&L formula sounds great.

Though...
Captain N said:
Game Type: Action Role-Playing Game

I don't see how these are action RPGs, any more than Super Mario RPG or Shadow Hearts or Valkyrie Profile. Timed button presses =/= action RPG.

Captain N

ethelred said:
Great. Really looking forward to this. I love the Mario RPGs, and all the praise this one seems to be getting as potentially the best of the whole lot has gotten me pretty excited. It certainly looks cool, and the addition of Bowser to the M&L formula sounds great.

Though...

I don't see how these are action RPGs, any more than Super Mario RPG or Shadow Hearts or Valkyrie Profile. Timed button presses =/= action RPG.

That's what Nintendo calls it and I think it's more of an action rpg than Super Mario RPG.

ConradCervantes said:
This game, Scribblenauts, and Uncharted 2 demo, all in one day.

One day I will sit my kids down and tell them about 9/15.
Holy fuck, this and Scribblenauts on the same day?!?!?! My DS won't turn off for a month.

ethelred

Captain N said:
That's what Nintendo calls it and I think it's more of an action rpg than Super Mario RPG.

That's what Nintendo of America calls it. Only fools and chumps listen to stuff from Reggie and his overglorified PR flack house!

Phantom Flapjack said:
I know a lot of people who have played Bowser's Inside Story say it's the best in the series, but I had a bunch of issues with 2 and I wonder if 3 fixes those.

- Bowser Jr. (I know technically not that character but it had his obnoxious personality)
- For anyone who may have played the English version already, does it have annoying internet memes? I rolled my eyes at the annoying r0xx0r j00r b0xx0rs crap that the Hammer Bros. spoke

These are essentially my problems with Mario and Luigi 2. It felt too hub world-like. I would like to know if they fixed these as well.

The 10 bosses thing I'm okay with. Paper Mario doesn't have too many more, if any more.

If these were all fixed... consider it a sale +1.

JSnake

Phantom Flapjack said:

- There's tons of exploration, backtracking etc. As Bowser gets new abilities, you will need to backtrack. Reminded me of Metroid a lot

- I can't remember but I don't think there are other towns besides the one in Bowser's stomache and castle town.

- No Bowser Jr

- There are quite a few minigames

- I've only played the Japanese version

The touch screen battles as Bowerzilla is fucking AWESOME. They could have made an entire RPG using only the touch screen battles and it would be the most awesome game ever.

You blow into the microphone to breath fire!!!!!!

mario-luigi-bowsers-inside-story-20090602105327250_640w.jpg

Oh yeah, and for anyone worried that Mario and Luigi will remain inside Bowser's stomach throughout the game, they don't. It was revealed in some of the very first screens released.

mario-luigi-rpg-3-screens-20081002094613626_640w.jpg

Magypsy23

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
The touch screen battles as Bowerzilla is fucking AWESOME. They could have made an entire RPG using only the touch screen battles and it would be the most awesome game ever.

Now I need to replay it. >_<

It's so awesome, but I can't afford it and have quite the backlog right now. It's not like it'll become rare to find, I'll just pick it up later on. But it just looks so awesome compared to the first two games which I already own.

BARKSTAR

Banned
The reviews for this game are all sky high and it is supposed to be great.

Picking this up on launch day, no questions asked.

Amir0x

Banned
Golden Darkness said:

The reviewer of that game is a man after my heart...

Craig Harris - "And of course, no random battles. Thank god."

Cow Mengde said:

you shouldn't advertise that terrible fact.

Outside of THIS, I am ridiculously excited for Mario & Luigi 3. I loved both the M&L games, so you can imagine how excited I am when people say this is the best one yet.

This is going to be one of those games I reserve time for this fall season.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Superstar Saga, but was disappointed with PiT.

Super-excited for this, though.

Llyranor

abstract alien said:
Best new-age battle system for an rpg.
Is it? Haven't played the previous games in the series, so I don't know. From what I've seen, the battle system consists of controlling Mario and Luigi separately in battle via button presses, which can be used to dodge attacks and get criticals - which sounds cool. However, some of the videos featuring boss battles were just repetitive use of special items/abilities which simply had the player going through the same button presses over and over (reminiscent of QTEs?). Was it just a bad video? Can someone describe the good elements of the combat system?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Llyranor said:

yes.

the beauty of M&L's battle system is that it is always always always interactive on both the offensive and defensive side. in other words, attacking is never just pressing a button to attack; the timed button presses that give damage boosts can make or break a battle for you. there are opportunities to exploit that timing skill, if you're good enough--one ability in PM let you keep jumping forever to continue doing damage, but only if you can keep the button timing up. you could theoretically kill a boss in one turn if you're practiced enough (i have). defensively, you rarely have to accept taking damage, because you're given the option to use your button timing skills and dodge that attack. it's fucking frustrating in other rpgs to have to sit there and take damage. NO ONE WOULD DO THAT.

on top of that, there's the elements just before the battle--before the transition to the fight screen--that make it wonderful. it's seen in the MOTHER series, too, but if you manage to jump on an enemy's head to initiate the battle, you get the first strike. if they hit you first, they do. if an enemy has a spike on its head, you have to hit it with the hammer to start the fight, lest you receive a pointy prick to the plumber's oxford.

the running theme to me is that it takes all these elements that seem like givens--you press x to attack, you will definitely take damage in a battle, first strikes and back attacks are random, etc.--and puts them in YOUR hands.

just talking about it is making me spaz out thinking i'll be playing a new one in just a few days.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DMPrince said:
Do i need to play both games to understand this one? i need a new ds game since the last one i bought was DQV

if you buy this, three things will happen:

[1] you'll love it
[2] you'll finish it
[3] you'll immediately go buy all other mario rpgs and play them, foregoing financial and social obligations until you finish them. your life will deteriorate in the periphery, but you won't care, because you just got a new bros. attack.

they're that good.

beelzebozo said:
if you buy this, three things will happen:

[1] you'll love it
[2] you'll finish it
[3] you'll immediately go buy all other mario rpgs and play them, foregoing financial and social obligations until you finish them. your life will deteriorate in the periphery, but you won't care, because you just got a new bros. attack.

they're that good.

Cool. I always was interested in the earlier games but never got the chance to pick it up. i'll definitely get it next week then ;D

Llyranor

beelzebozo said:
yes.

the beauty of M&L's battle system is that it is always always always interactive on both the offensive and defensive side. in other words, attacking is never just pressing a button to attack; the timed button presses that give damage boosts can make or break a battle for you. there are opportunities to exploit that timing skill, if you're good enough--one ability in PM let you keep jumping forever to continue doing damage, but only if you can keep the button timing up. you could theoretically kill a boss in one turn if you're practiced enough (i have). defensively, you rarely have to accept taking damage, because you're given the option to use your button timing skills and dodge that attack. it's fucking frustrating in other rpgs to have to sit there and take damage. NO ONE WOULD DO THAT.

on top of that, there's the elements just before the battle--before the transition to the fight screen--that make it wonderful. it's seen in the MOTHER series, too, but if you manage to jump on an enemy's head to initiate the battle, you get the first strike. if they hit you first, they do. if an enemy has a spike on its head, you have to hit it with the hammer to start the fight, lest you receive a pointy prick to the plumber's oxford.

the running theme to me is that it takes all these elements that seem like givens--you press x to attack, you will definitely take damage in a battle, first strikes and back attacks are random, etc.--and puts them in YOUR hands.

just talking about it is making me spaz out thinking i'll be playing a new one in just a few days.
Thanks. Active participation in battle can certainly be a good thing. But, does it get repetitive? I'm still basing off that one boss battle I saw of the Japanese version, and maybe it was just a bad video, but the player just kept spamming the same item/ability over and over, and then proceeded to perform the same button presses every time. Is there good *variety* and breadth of abilities/options in battle?

GhaleonQ

I have extremely important classes this term, so all video games will likely be on hold until December 7th. This one's going to hurt the most. I don't know about much past the premise. Are the bosses good/funny/creative/difficult this time around? I really enjoyed the endurance required for previous ones, if that reveals my biases.

Llyranor said:
Thanks. Active participation in battle can certainly be a good thing. But, does it get repetitive? I'm still basing off that one boss battle I saw of the Japanese version, and maybe it was just a bad video, but the player just kept spamming the same item/ability over and over, and then proceeded to perform the same button presses every time. Is there good *variety* and breadth of abilities/options in battle?

I think so, but it obviously depends how you play. Most bosses require a few different tactics, and the various enemies make you use most of your arsenal at least once. Honestly, though? You'll probably be surprised how little you reflect on battles while in them. You think about strategies, of course, but I (at least) go straight into fighting/sports game mode. That means no blinking, keeping an uninterrupted rhythm, and wanting to immediately fight again after winning. I can't imagine being bored with it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
:lol

yeah, that about sums it up.

me in the first ten seconds of playing a new mario rpg:

039.jpg

(i've been getting a lot of mileage out of that picture lately)

Top Bottom