• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Haunted

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

3vH8j.jpg

Pretty mindblowing that these are from the same game. What a disparity.

Shurs

2 Minutes Turkish said:
You know Sony pretty much invented hyperbole in gaming yeah? Or were you born in 1993?

Sega and Nintendo used to troll each other, which was fun as fuck for all of us, but hyperbole was Sony's game, and they knew how to play it. My Dreamcast can attest to that.

Okay.

Haunted said:
gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

http://imgur.com/3vH8j.jpg[/IM]

Pretty mindblowing that these are from the same game. What a disparity.[/QUOTE]
well. those concrete barriers running along the hills are shameful. dunno if any other games do better grass or not, though.

akmcbroom said:
Don't know what's up with those Juex pics. Game looks much better in these.

http://www.psnation.org/wp-content/gallery/gt5/gt5-1-27.jpg[/mg]
[img]http://www.psnation.org/wp-content/gallery/gt5/gt5-1-42.jpg[/ig]
[img]http://www.psnation.org/wp-content/gallery/gt5/gt5-1-63.jpg
gt5-1-88.jpg
these 2 look delicious.

AZ Greg

Lagspike_exe said:
GT5 definitely does not disappoint visually.

Sorry, but even if some of these in-game shots are the most unflattering shots ever taken, and the game looks much better in person, that doesn't change the fact that the framerate is inconsistent, screen tearing is present, some tracks are virtually upscaled GT4 tracks, and the standard cars are pretty poor looking. Thus, disappointing visually. Especially considering the pedigree of the developer.

Lagspike_exe said:
You can post those hideous screens as much as you want, watching the game played on TV tells a whole another story.

In a perfect world, everyone would live by that statement and this thread would be filled with more informed opinions. Unfortunately, 90% of the people in here taking part in this haven't played/seen the game they are bashing running on their own TV, yet they still bash based only on screenshots. However, certain people need to stop being so hypocritical and running with the "See the game on a TV" thing because their game of choice is now under fire despite the fact that they were doing the same things when unflattering shots were coming out for their game of choice's competitor (Not saying you're one of these people, I have no idea).

Haunted said:
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

You know all the GT4 content (standard tracks and upscaled tracks) should have left apart. GT3 had way less cars than 2 and it's my favorite GT.

Imagine GT3 with PS1 car models....ugh.

eso76

commedieu said:
Yes. GT5 has a higher lod model for the photo mode. 1 for menu, 1 for in game & replays.

Forza has 1 for menu, 1 for pre-race with cameras floating around, 1 for actual start of race that blackens out the interiors, and 1 for the player car model during replays.

not that many, it just has 1 for menus/photo mode/floating camera before race starts, and 1 for gameplay/replay.
having said that, a lot of pics posted here are doing the full lod models in fm3 a huge disservice. Well, actually, T10 did that to themselves with the 40/90kb 1280x720 screenshots,
People should pick official screenshots from fm.net.

Oh, but so are pics from GT5 showing the game in the worst possible conditions, so i guess it's now a matter of which game can be made to look worse.

Wow. There seems to be a concerted effort to make GT5 look extremely bad on the eve of it's release. (I don't mean by people in this thread.) People taking shitty screen grabs and passing them off as "how bad GT5 looks"...? This may have worked if we hadn't all seen an extensive amount of videos of the actual game, right?

Right?

DidntKnowJack said:
Wow. There seems to be a concerted effort to make GT5 look extremely bad on the eve of it's release. (I don't mean by people in this thread.) People taking shitty screen grabs and passing them off as "how bad GT5 looks"...? This may have worked if we hadn't all seen an extensive amount of videos of the actual game, right?

Right?

Seems like people wanna forget that.

adelante

eso76 said:
Oh, but so are pics from GT5 showing the game in the worst possible conditions, so i guess it's now a matter of which game can be made to look worse.
It's the art of true nitpickery at its finest!

scotcheggz

I don't really care to get involved in the FM3/GT5 squablles, but this:

2 Minutes Turkish said:
You know Sony pretty much invented hyperbole in gaming yeah? Or were you born in 1993?

Sega and Nintendo used to troll each other, which was fun as fuck for all of us, but hyperbole was Sony's game, and they knew how to play it. My Dreamcast can attest to that.

What a load of bollocks :lol

TEH-CJ

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:

Right?

No the game looks that bad. I shit you not. and no I am not trolling. look at my post history if you must.

jett

D-Member
FirstInHell said:
Is this from an earlier build of the game? How come nobody is taking issue with the non-premium cars?

People have been taking issue with this crap for months now. Newb.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Jesus Christ stop quoting that awful standard car photo! My eyes!

Almost as bad as the car here:

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-426.jpg

Metalmurphy said:
Seems like people wanna forget that.

Same shit happened when this thread began. People suddenly "forgot" what GT5 (Prologue) actually looked like and started posting all these terrible quality screen grabs.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I find it sad that this thread is 3 pages away from being larger than the entire Forza 3 OT.

And that the GT5 thread will probably surpass the Forza thread before the end of it's first release day.

Just goes to show the disparity between each franchise's base. Or how crazy we all are. :lol

yella

Just out of curiosity Evilore, did you decide whether you were going to get GT5? I read about your potential health issues with the tearing, but I didn't read through the entire official thread, so I was just wondering what decision you made.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
yella said:
Just out of curiosity Evilore, did you decide whether you were going to get GT5? I read about your potential health issues with the tearing, but I didn't read through the entire official thread, so I was just wondering what decision you made.

It's coming in tomorrow. It's GT5, I can't not get it, despite health concerns with screen tearing, and the cornering shift indicator that you can't turn off that drives me crazy, and not being able to turn on car damage from the beginning in career mode. I'll try not to play on courses with screen tearing and I'll block the indicator with an object in front of the TV.

:/

Shaneus

eso76 said:
not that many, it just has 1 for menus/photo mode/floating camera before race starts, and 1 for gameplay/replay.
having said that, a lot of pics posted here are doing the full lod models in fm3 a huge disservice. Well, actually, T10 did that to themselves with the 40/90kb 1280x720 screenshots,
People should pick official screenshots from fm.net.

Better comparison would be GT5 photomode and some of the Forza 3 stitches. That way you can discount the fucking woeful compression. Don't know what I'll do if T10 stick with that filesize.

so, after following this thread over the past couple days I've finally got my answer. Neither look better, both have glaring issues with continuity, while forza maintains a more even state in the overall graphic quality, GT5 has major highs and extreme lows.

I guess the best looking racer so far this gen is still pgr4 somehow...

les papillons sexuels said:

As far as track detail is concerned, no doubt about it.

GT5 has the best lighting and the most gorgeous and detailed models to ever grace videogame history, yet manages to have some truly horrible spots.

FM3 is "ruined" by its poor lighting and color scheme. It's the only rock-solid 60 fps racer with virtually no tearing out there, though.

Shaneus

so, after following this thread over the past couple days I've finally got my answer. Neither look better, both have glaring issues with continuity, while forza maintains a more even state in the overall graphic quality, GT5 has major highs and extreme lows.

Everybody wins! Great environments, interiors, photo mode, more than adequate car models (no idea how they compare to F3/GT5), night racing (not on all tracks though), amazing weather and a kickarse (but unrealistic) driving model.

Well, everybody wins... except Bizarre :(

metareferential said:
As far as track detail is concerned, no doubt about it.

GT5 has the best lighting and the most gorgeous and detailed models to ever grace videogame history, yet manages to have some truly horrible spots.

FM3 is "ruined" by its poor lighting and color scheme. It's the only rock-solid 60 fps racer with virtually no tearing out there, though.

Hence why pgr4 wins, It's found the best level of sacrifice but manages to maintain an overall visual quality without running into extreme issues with continuity in quality. There's no Major highs and lows like in GT, and looks better than forza at some sacrifice to fps.

I guess the best way to put it is in terms of numbers.

I'd rather have a game running at a constant 80, then a game running at a range from 75-95. Those constant changes just take me out of it completely, and judging by the amount of people asking if there's some way to only use premium cars or block non-premium cars, I'd say many agree.

commedieu

Banned
Hence why pgr4 wins, It's found the best level of sacrifice but manages to maintain an overall visual quality without running into extreme issues with continuity in quality. There's no Major highs and lows like in GT, and looks better than forza at some sacrifice to fps.

I'd rather have a game running at a constant 80, then a game running at a range from 75-95. Those constant changes just take me out of it completely, and judging by the amount of people asking if there's some way to only use premium cars or block non-premium cars, I'd say many agree.

lol

u guys are so full o shit. Now GT5 has Framerate problems..... with 8 cars on a track @ 60fps right? Whatever helps people sleep at night to lead them to believe they aren't missing anything though. I'm still amazed that 1 screen shot eclipses everything else. Thats staggering. and its just absurd at "well thats that, PGR4 is better overall! visually" lets find some of the worst PGR4 shots and post those as the bar?

That is exactly how I feel.

That said, I enjoy and will continue to enjoy all three games. Which is not what people in this thread want. They want drama. xD

I'm playing PGR4 right now waiting for GT5, and it's still damn impressive, especially with its lighting, detail and weather.

If Ms/Bizarre can improve car details and image quality, a future PGR5 could really be a stunner.

S1kkZ

commedieu said:
lol

u guys are so full o shit. Now GT5 has Framerate problems..... with 8 cars on a track @ 60fps right? Whatever helps people sleep at night to lead them to believe they aren't missing anything though. I'm still amazed that 1 screen shot eclipses everything else. Thats staggering.
i have the game (played for 2 hours today), it has framerate problems and (really minor) tearing, deal with it.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Hmmm.. not really.

I was playing it for a bit last night and most of the car models/interiors aren't all that flash.

Best looking tracks by a mile though.

commedieu

Banned
S1kkZ said:
i have the game (played for 2 hours today), it has framerate problems and (really minor) tearing, deal with it.

Same was said about Prologue... Framerate problems isn't a dip when you have 16 cars on a track all at once. Neither is a tear here or there = constant screen tearing. I deal with fps problems in all games.. as any gamer does.

I disagree, I love PGR4 but I think both games look better than it. Compare GT5 in London and Rome and its clear which is better. PGR also runs at half the framerate, thats not a good compromise at all. Both games have better car models than PGR, minus standard cars but 200+ cars is a lot more than PGRs. PGR3 had 5 locations....and reused them for 4, which added how many more? I cant recall exactly but not much. Had PD taken courses and standard cars OUT of the game (ie did less work), you guys would think it looks better? Hell it would still have the quantity over PGR.

metareferential said:
That said, I enjoy and will continue to enjoy all three games. Which is not what people in this thread want. They want drama. xD
HOW DARE YOU!

something something Armor Lock something something...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
commedieu said:
lol

u guys are so full o shit. Now GT5 has Framerate problems..... with 8 cars on a track @ 60fps right? Whatever helps people sleep at night to lead them to believe they aren't missing anything though. I'm still amazed that 1 screen shot eclipses everything else.

Same was said about Prologue... Framerate problems isn't a dip when you have 16 cars on a track all at once. Neither is a tear here or there = constant screen tearing.

applescary.jpg

Top Bottom