• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Of course cars and interiors are a generation above PGR4. That's obvious.

Some GT5 tracks are really good; some are just terrible.

And then there's framerate and resolution; GT5 is a greater effort, no matter what.

We were just saying that putting things into perspective, PGR4 still manages to impress.

Then you mess around with the photo travel location and premium models in GT5 and you want to throw everything away in the garbage.

But really, standard cars and some sections on old track, sometimes really stand out as completely horrible looking.

S1kkZ said:
i have the game (played for 2 hours today), it has framerate problems and (really minor) tearing, deal with it.
word. well...oh well.

and it's giving me the same feeling, NullPointer. it's the only PGR game I never owned. Now I feel like an idiot for skipping it.

I'm playing it right now, and it's soooooo good.

Warming up for GT5. Maybe I'll play some Forza 3 and then some Prologue.

And maybe some Richard Burns or rFactor. Just to piss the haters off. :lol

user_nat said:
Hmmm.. not really.

I was playing it for a bit last night and most of the car models/interiors aren't all that flash.

Best looking tracks by a mile though.

And weather effects. But the game runs at 30fps.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Shaneus said:
Everybody wins! Great environments, interiors, photo mode, more than adequate car models (no idea how they compare to F3/GT5), night racing (not on all tracks though), amazing weather and a kickarse (but unrealistic) driving model.

Well, everybody wins... except Bizarre :(

If I could somehow combine PGR4, Rallisport Challenge 2, Forza 3's livery editor, and GT's lighting, I'd never need another racing game. Sprinkle in some Interstate '76 and I'm set for life.

metareferential said:
I'm playing it right now, and it's soooooo good.

Warming up for GT5. Maybe I'll play some Forza 3 and then some Prologue.

And maybe some Richard Burns or rFactor. Just to piss the haters off. :lol
Been bouncing between Prologue, Forza and Shift for the past few weeks, all of them masterful games in their own ways. GT5 should be delivered to my work tomorrow, so that's ON for thanksgiving vacation.

But after that if I find the opportunity I'll pick up PGR4. ALL 360 games need to be in the XBL marketplace, because I'd probably pull the trigger on it without a second thought if it was.

Len Dontree said:
If I could somehow combine PGR4, Rallisport Challenge 2, Forza 3's livery editor, and GT's lighting, I'd never need another racing game. Sprinkle in some Interstate '76 and I'm set for life.
Man I loved that game.

So far perfection for me would be GT's physics and wealth of supported modes, Shift's sense of speed and cockpit madness, with Forza's community features and customization.

Firewire

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
There we go :D. A few screenshots and the emotions come flying out.
No you just made a stupid comment, and I just pointed it out. You obviously decided not respond to what I said, further proving my original comment.

And why is it that a couple of clearly labelled photomode pics get your fanboy all in a tizzy?

FuturusX

EviLore said:
It's coming in tomorrow. It's GT5, I can't not get it, despite health concerns with screen tearing, and the cornering shift indicator that you can't turn off that drives me crazy, and not being able to turn on car damage from the beginning in career mode. I'll try not to play on courses with screen tearing and I'll block the indicator with an object in front of the TV.

:/

Exactly...It's GT. If you have a PS3, how can you not get this game.

Whilst enduring the long wait for this game I now have the feeling this could the last GT of it's kind...the winds of change (casual gaming) are sweeping through the industry. How many games will command this kind of budget and development cycle again? Will the next GT be this ambitious? Who knows..

I'm there, worts (standard cars) and all...

TEH-CJ

Banned
Cars i have tested so far in GT5

Mustang
supra rz
subaru wtx stil
ferrari f430
ferrari 458
rx7 99

and they all sound fucking horrible. like an expensive vacuum cleaner with turbo mode on. I am fucking depressed now. the sound technition at PD needs to be fired.

forza still has the best sound effect by far. thats not even up for debate.

TEH-CJ said:

Mustang
supra rz
subaru wtx stil
ferrari f430
ferrari 458
rx7 99

and they all sound fucking horrible. like an expensive vacuum cleaner with turbo mode on. I am fucking depressed now. the sound technition at PD needs to be fired.

It's still up for debate , just like in the GT thread where other people say the wtx stil sound good ,they show vids just like you did .
I still expect the sound to be a hit and miss .

-viper-

Banned
GT5 looks fucking amazing.

Sure, it's you're going to find imperfections when you stop your car and analyse the envinroment like a fucking idiot but I've been playing it for the past 3 hours and it's easily the best looking racing game out there.

I just finished a race at Monza with the Calsonic SuperGT GT-R. It looked insane.

scotcheggz said:
What a load of bollocks :lol

He was replying to a post basically saying Microsoft stoop to unimaginable lows that Sony would never dream of. And the point about the Dreamcast is fair- there was all kinds of crazy talk about the PS2's capabilities before it launched which played a part in killing the Dreamcast. I was rather underwhelmed when I first saw actual PS2 games. But hell, there was crazy talk in the lead up to the 64 as well, and the original Xbox. So... eh.

This thread is hilarious by the way. I'm going to get GT5 even though I have little interest in sim racers, but some of those shots really aren't pretty...

nib95

Banned
TEH-CJ said:

Mustang
supra rz
subaru wtx stil
ferrari f430
ferrari 458
rx7 99

To be honest, I question your opinion. You said that about the Subaru Sedan(?) and some guy on the forums posted a double split youtube comparison of the real thing vs GT5's implementation and it sounded pretty much spot on.

There are many things you have to consider, the view being used (internal, external etc), the sound system, the type of tuning applied and so on. F430 and 458 from vids I've seen in the past seem to be down pretty tight with respect to audio. I guess I'll wait and see for myself but I'm willing to give both sides the benefit of the doubt.

TEH-CJ

Banned
nib95 said:
To be honest, I question your opinion. You said that about the Subaru Sedan(?) and some guy on the forums posted a double split youtube comparison of the real thing vs GT5's implementation and it sounded pretty much spot on.

There are many things you have to consider, the view being used (internal, external etc), the sound system, the type of tuning applied and so on. F430 and 458 from vids I've seen in the past seem to be down pretty tight with respect to audio. I guess I'll wait and see for myself but I'm willing to give both sides the benefit of the doubt.

Dude, I like you, your an awesome poster so I hope you don't get offended when I say this. but I was a former owner of subaru liberty b4 twin turbo and a wrx sti sti 09 model and I have been in the car industry for over 10 years. my step father also races a rally class B wrx. I know what cars sound like it.

I posted a comparison video and the subaru sounded nothing like the video game.

hell there are 60 or so pages of car enthusiest just like my self complaining about the engine sounds in GT5. http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119772&page=186

the sound in a car sim is one of the fundamental things along with the physics that needs to be done right. it has always been a weak point in GT series and its no different now.

nib95

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
Dude, I like you, your an awesome poster so I hope you don't get offended when I say this. but I was a former owner of subaru liberty b4 twin turbo and a wrx sti sti 09 model and I have been in the car industry for over 10 years. my step father also races a rally class B wrx. I know what cars sound like it.

I posted a comparison video and the subaru sounded nothing like the video game.

hell there are 60 or so pages of car enthusiest just like my self complaining about the engine sounds in GT5. http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119772&page=186

the sound in a car sim is one of the fundamental things along with the physics that needs to be done right. it has always been a weak point in GT series and its no different now.

Like I said, whilst I have friends who own Scooby's, I personally haven't driven one, hence why I said I'm willing to give both sides the benefit of the doubt. If you've owned one, I believe you, the sounds are likely off. Do you think this could be anything to do with your sound system though?

I remember in Prologue I played with the settings to greatly increase engine note volume in comparison to sound effects and other things and got a great balance. Try doing something similar with GT5, naturally with music off.

-viper- said:
On your GT Life page, does it say:
A-Spec
B-spec

In that spelling?

The art says:
A-spec
B-spec

If you hover over the icons the actual text is A-Spec and B-Spec. Same in the profile. It's consistent in both cases.

J-Rzez

That's a shame if they didn't fix the sound in the game, as that was it's weakest link in the past. I know it's impossible to model so many cars with various mods on it, but they need a greater pallet. A boxer motor should sound like a boxer, a rotary like a rotary, etc, at least. I thought for sure this time they would've went all in on the sound. I hope that's not the case when i bring it home tomorrow.

Piggus

schennmu said:
PGR 4 is a nice game but it's way too arcadey.

Shift > Forza

Bahaha. Don't even get me started on the fucking sound argument. You people can't seem to understand that just because it sounds like the engine is sitting in your lap doesn't mean the sounds are "good." They're loud and cool sounding but realistic? hell fucking no. Especially in the lower end cars.

GT5 has awesome sound in a REALISM sense. Anyone who tells you Shift has realistic audio design needs to get in check with reality.

Piggus said:
Bahaha. Don't even get me started on the fucking sound argument. You people can't seem to understand that just because it sounds like the engine is sitting in your lap doesn't mean the sounds are "good." They're loud and cool sounding but realistic? hell fucking no. Especially in the lower end cars.

Who is using lower end cars in Shift? That game is all about immersion and flashy supercars. Sure there might be a little bit of overkill involved, but that's what people like. In this case it's better to have a little too much than too few (or too low) in my opinion. And who are we to judge the sound of a supercar? FXX, MC Laren F1, Carrera GT, etc. sure as hell are loud as fuck! :lol

That said, I haven't even talked about GT5 sound because I haven't unlocked any of the more potent cars. So far I'm liking what I'm hearing though. The TT-S in the license test sounded pretty realistic, Audi style.

Piggus

Well, what I'm trying to say is just because something sounds good doesn't mean it's realistic. In shift all the lower end cars sound like supercars and all the supercars sound like they were recorded with a $10 PC microphone with the way they break the range of whatever mic was used. :/ Kinda like in real racing videos. If they were trying to emulate what you hear in a recorded backseat video then more power to them. But I don't think that's what GT5 is going for. Polyphony's audio capture system is pretty advanced and if people don't like it, then too bad because that's pretty much what the cars actually sound like.

Haunted

Is there a premium mode in GT5 so you can avoid seeing the standard cars/tracks?

EviLore said:
[Starcraft II]

Not really.
Ha! well played.

Maybe they should've zoomed out a bit for the standard cars/tracks. ;)

I keep going back to the photomode thread, just looks so good. How long until we play racers in GT5 photomode quality?

edit:
Relaxed Muscle said:
Is there any option to disable standard cars or something? I know I would want the option... :lol
exactly!

Piggus said:
too bad because that's pretty much what the cars actually sound like.

How do you know? (honest question)

As said, I agree with you that some of the sounds in Shift are probably overdone, but at the same time the sounds in GT3/4 sounded "off" in the opposite way. The lawnmower meme is getting really old but some of that stuff sounded like nothing but a car. Again, GT5 sounds fine to me so far though.

And here two videos to show the beasty Shift sounds:

Ferrari FFX.

Shift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuJp9z7Js_A

Reality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAr-vvgqzwg

nib95 said:
Like I said, whilst I have friends who own Scooby's, I personally haven't driven one, hence why I said I'm willing to give both sides the benefit of the doubt. If you've owned one, I believe you, the sounds are likely off. Do you think this could be anything to do with your sound system though?

I remember in Prologue I played with the settings to greatly increase engine note volume in comparison to sound effects and other things and got a great balance. Try doing something similar with GT5, naturally with music off.

I own a WRX and I can attest that the video of the '10 WRX STI sounded nothing like a WRX. The boxer engine gives out a very distinctive gurgling sound, one that wouldn't be lost do to poor audio capture.

That being said however, the video said it was tuned, and the WRX loses most of it's distinctive gurgling at high RPM, two things that could account for the lackluster sound.

Haunted said:
Is there a premium mode in GT5 so you can avoid seeing the standard cars/tracks?

Ha! well played.

Maybe they should've zoomed out a bit for the standard cars/tracks. ;)

I keep going back to the photomode thread, just looks so good. How long until we play racers in GT5 photomode quality?

edit:

exactly!

Good news: Don't click the used car section, they are all in there.

Bad news: From what I've read, I think you have to use standards for some late game shit, because there isnt a premium race car to compete with the highest powered standards. The is really my only complaint.

I have to give Forza 3 some props for car selection, they have tons of ferraris, lambos, and of course Porsches. I just wish I liked Forzas physics, which I find very boring and disconnected. Although for Porsche, if PD really has to pay for them and they don't for other manufacturers than I think they did the right thing by not paying. It might lead to other manufactures down the road wanting to be paid (unless they are already, I just assume they are put in for free/minimal cost.)

Iknos

chubigans said:
Just goes to show the disparity between each franchise's base. Or how crazy we all are. :lol

Racing sims aren't too popular here...look at the rFactor or iRacing threads. Granted I never played Ferrari or Supercar Challange extensively but those threads have been pitifully small. It's not sad its how it is on consoles.

user_nat said:
Best looking tracks by a mile though.

Well in a ways yes. Compare London in Prologue to the same portions of London in PGR4 and GT's looks better. But when you factor that PGR4 is doing a pretty massive chunk of London it does balance out to an extent.

PGR3 and 4 are helped by their motion blur implementation. Makes 30fps easier to digest and gives things a cinematic television sort of look.

Part of immersiveness is graphics and the other is sound and I loved the sound of PGR3/4.

FuturusX said:
Whilst enduring the long wait for this game I now have the feeling this could the last GT of it's kind...the winds of change (casual gaming) are sweeping through the industry. How many games will command this kind of budget and development cycle again? Will the next GT be this ambitious? Who knows..

Considering that Prologue sales alone paid off the development costs of GT5 and that GT5 will undoubtedly sell millions...the next GT can be as ambitious as it needs to be.

Shift's sfx are exaggerated but they cover aspects that neither Forza or GT cover very well. Ulimately I'm still a fan of RBR's sfx I think they are pretty realistically balanced and covers more than just engine and road/tire noise. Which personally I think it a tad understated but still sounds good overall. And the tire squealing on pavement is a bit mechanical...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSPHFqplfA

Forget PGR4 I'm playing RBR on my keyboard tonight. :lol

Square Triangle said:
RIP Bizarre =(
? why the RIP for all we know they me be getting sold off to Microsoft or something...

I doubt ms though since they don't have any unique IP's that micorosft would benefit from.. A great development team but their lack of popular unique IP's make them less desirable.

shinnn

Iknos said:
But when you factor that PGR4 is doing a pretty massive chunk of London it does balance out to an extent.
so good

UeB9a.jpg

ps: it's quebec :)

Piggus

schennmu said:
How do you know? (honest question)

As said, I agree with you that some of the sounds in Shift are probably overdone, but at the same time the sounds in GT3/4 sounded "off" in the opposite way. The lawnmower meme is getting really old but some of that stuff sounded like nothing but a car. Again, GT5 sounds fine to me so far though.

And here two videos to show the beasty Shift sounds:

Ferrari FFX.

Shift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuJp9z7Js_A

Reality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAr-vvgqzwg

I've been around some of these high end cars, including the Enzo. GT5 Prologue does a better job of emulating how they sound in real life whereas, as shown by that video, Shift does a good job of emulating audio that you hear in racing videos filmed with just a video camera and no high end audio equipment.

adelante

Iknos said:
But when you factor that PGR4 is doing a pretty massive chunk of London it does balance out to an extent.
Come to think of it, it really IS crazy that they've gone as far as modeling almost all the buildings in that chunk. With other racing games, developers have the "luxury" of just concentrating on buildings that line up the track and perhaps a bit beyond that. I really admire what they've done at Bizarre, shame that I didn't put in as much time into the game as I would've liked. Not really a huge fan of racing games anyway but I did buy both PGR3 and PGR4 at launch to support those chaps :D

4dZFl.jpg

6rG3x.jpg

FWVGl.jpg

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Okay, I'm going to go play some PGR4 tonight and do some photomode.

Just reminded me of how amazing that game looked.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
PGR is awesome.

Guys, go buy PGR4 - enoy the kickass game and shed a tear for Bizarre.

Best of all? You can talk about it on forums without the fanboy-melee Forza or Gran Turismo gets.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
We should rename this the PGR OT, then you can all help me get the cat and mouse achievements.

Top Bottom