• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

h3ro

I love all the PGR4 love. I'm still waiting for my delivery of GT5 today, but man, did I put some serious time into that game.

Also, Forza looks great. GT looks great. Lets all be friends and enjoy some racing. :D

adelante

Shaneus said:
Edit: adelante, I just sent an email to Bizarre wishing them all the best and letting them know about the PGR4 love, maybe I'll send another suggesting the idea! It'd be more Top Gear than anything else too, given that Bizarre are UK-based.
Excellent! Operation Revive Bizarre Creations is now in motion haha.

And wow @ that Laguna Seca comparison. It's probably just a "standard" track. A google street view photo for reference:

wqAEC.jpg

Ashes

Banned
Well that about settles it. Metacritic has decided the winner. Forza 3.
But gt5 has 1000 cars?
so?
but it has nascar, world rally and super gt?
So?
Night, rain, snow?
So?
It has karts, f1?
so?
It even has the red bull super concept colloboration car?
so?
It has the top gear track man?
so? None of that matters man, Forza is the critics darling. It has a more streamlined experiance, better menu, and rewind. Deal with it.gif!

90+=forza 3
85+=gt5

a1m

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
But gt5 has 1000 cars?
so?
So?
Night, rain, snow?
So?
It has karts, f1?
so?
so?
so? None of that matters man, Forza is the critics darling. It has a more streamlined experiance, better menu, and rewind. Deal with it.gif!

90+=forza 3
85+=gt5
reps.gif

adelante said:
Excellent! Operation Revive Bizarre Creations is now in motion haha.

And wow @ that Laguna Seca comparison. It's probably just a "standard" track. A google street view photo for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/wqAEC.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
lol google street view has angles of a race circuit?

-viper-

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
But gt5 has 1000 cars?
so?
So?
Night, rain, snow?
So?
It has karts, f1?
so?
so?

90+=forza 3
85+=gt5
If METACRITIC says so, it must be true.

Ashes

Banned
LordPhoque said:
It seems to be the case.

Gt5 is now the under dog. Good luck with the crown. It'll take something to top this I think. Probably they will have weather and time changes on every track and that will be enough....

Ashes1396 said:
But gt5 has 1000 cars?
so?
So?
Night, rain, snow?
So?
It has karts, f1?
so?
so?

90+=forza 3
85+=gt5
6srjuo.jpg

Ashes1396 said:
Can't you see the google watermark?
Of course I can, it's just that google street view has a racing circuit on it, I find that rather entertaining and keep thinking that tiny car with the huge camera tripod thing is driving around it :lol

Ashes

Banned
Diablohead said:
Of course I can, it's just that google street view has a racing circuit on it, I find that rather entertaining and keep thinking that tiny car with the huge camera tripod thing is driving around it :lol
:lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ploid 3.0 said:
chespace
Banned
(Today, 01:44 AM)
Reply | Quote

And not a single fuck was given. Now he can troll companies he isn't an employee of with a ginger on twitter!

Che being banned has been needed for a long time. Hopefully it's a decent vacation.

Ashes

Banned
TheSeks said:
And not a single fuck was given. Now he can troll companies he isn't an employee of with a ginger on twitter!

Che being banned has been needed for a long time. Hopefully it's a decent vacation.

sorry che for laughing so hard...

Diablohead said:
Race tracks have "open track days" available to anyone.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Synless said:
I really hope these reviews humble Polyphony a bit. As good as GT is I think the arrogant attitude he has had against the competition needs to end. I think that no longer can he ignore that Forza is nipping at his heels and devouring them at times.

Are you pulling my leg? Arrogant? Japanese? Kazunori? No, just no. Making a game for the love of automobiles is not arrogance. If he decides to not look at the competition, because he is making his own game, with his own visions, so be it. Don't go calling it arrogance. Ignorance maybe, but not arrogance.

adelante

-viper- said:
A 7.0 for presentation?

one of the most impressive things about GT5 IS the presentation. It's slick as hell.
After looking through videos of its menu, I gotta disagree. It's chockfull of minibanners in a layout that I find more befitting of a brochure spread or an exhibition panel. Gotta give it to Turn10 for revamping Forza's UI with a minimalist and uncluttered theme, with practical functions like how your inbox stays just a button away; no need to navigate to an icon to access it.

And Lance Hayes aka DJ Drunken Master did an excellent job producing music solely for the menus. Nice chillout/ambient tunes to accompany hours upon hours of livery editing.

dofry said:
Are you pulling my leg? Arrogant? Japanese? Kazunori? No, just no. Making a game for the love of automobiles is not arrogance. If he decides to not look at the competition, because he is making his own game, with his own visions, so be it. Don't go calling it arrogance. Ignorance maybe, but not arrogance.
I honestly don't see how people have the balls to call him arrogant. Dan Greenwalt is arrogant, Kazunori is a visionary. Why else is GT a world renowned series?

Pretty disappointing if GT5 isn't the graphical showpiece I was expecting...it means they may have fallen behind the curve with other sony devs

Concept looked nice, but needed more post processing and effects, more vibrant environments

nelsonroyale said:
Pretty disappointing if GT5 isn't the graphical showpiece I was expecting...it means they may have fallen behind the curve with other sony devs

Concept looked nice, but needed more post processing and effects, more vibrant environments

The graphics themselves aren't bad, it's the environments that need work. As "bland" as some may be, some need a bit more detail than some 2D trees (as much as i hate saying it). Even cross sectioning a few more leaf sprites will make it look more dynamic.

The Shift

Banned
adelante said:
After looking through videos of its menu, I gotta disagree. It's chockfull of minibanners in a layout that I find more befitting of a brochure spread or an exhibition panel.

It reminds me of the PS3 game case/covers with 5 different fonts/banners/stickers. Would probably work well with Move though.

eso76

Posted this in the reviews thread, but i will post my thoughts in here too:

Will go and grab my copy in a couple hours, but even not having played the game i think it's easy to understand what's going on with reviews.

Early reviews are going to be heavily influenced by the initial feelings of 'not all we'd hoped for' (in regards to framerate, tearing, standard cars, bad looking tracks etc). I believe reviewing a game like GT5 this early, this quickly is not fair towards its real qualities; reviewers are going to punish the game with 7's and 8's for its lack of polish, but you can be sure this will be at the top of every "must have ps3 title" list for years to come.

Synless

phosphor112 said:
I honestly don't see how people have the balls to call him arrogant. Dan Greenwalt is arrogant, Kazunori is a visionary. Why else is GT a world renowned series?
By arrogant I mean his comments about other racing games. He has made comments in the past about games without naming them and how they were irrelevant. I believe there was a thread here on Gaf about it. I'm not hating on his love for cars and the work he puts into making models of them or his visions.

Syringe said:
We did a graphics duel between Gran Turismo 5 and Forza Motorsport 3 at Gamereactor, using the exact same equipment. Check it out for more pics. Click the picture and and then "Större bild" (yay for swedish) to get the full sized screen: http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/25153/Gran+Turismo+5+vs+Forza+3/

These games have a lot of same track and car combos. You can even change the cockpit view of GT5 to match the one in Forza almost exactly.

Can't you do better? I would:

- pick a matching car/track combo
- set the speed measurements similar
- drive the cars at the exact same speeds (a shot at 0, 50, 100, 150km/h)
- do this from the different camera angles
- do a test for the AI cars separately. Harder to do slightly, but should still be possible (you can set cars to 'one make' for both)

Additionally of course you can also choose to try and find some of the best and worst looking bits for each game and compare those.

It's still a limited comparison, what with one game having to accomodate 50-100% more cars and such, having day night cycles and weather on some tracks, etc, but it's something at least.

Certainly though one thing for me is sure - apart from that the cars in Forza almost always look quite a bit worse (a few of the later Forza DLC cars I recently bought excepted, which look pretty good), and some of the tracks in Forza looking a bit better, the single player portion of Forza is tiny and boring compared to GT5s.

I like Forza 3 quite a bit, mind you, but the single player mode ended up being a huge disappointment, and the multi-player mode was let down partly by the tracks in the game, which I don't think are all that great.

Ploid 3.0

Synless said:
By arrogant I mean his comments about other racing games. He has made comments in the past about games without naming them and how they were irrelevant. I believe there was a thread here on Gaf about it. I'm not hating on his love for cars and the work he puts into making models of them or his visions.

You mean about him not playing other games? If so I can see him only playing GT and learning how to race irl and having enough of a fix to satisfy him. People already made jokes of him being to busy with the car industry/racing stuff than making GT5.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Most of the things discussed here are subjective: driving feel, engine sounds & other sounds, graphics, menu layout, etc.

But I think it's clear that the gap between the two sims has narrowed considerably to the point where there is no clear winner. The only thing we can say definitively is that the grand consensus of the critics is that Forza 3 is the better game. It has the higher score. But this grand opinion is merely the sum of a whole bunch of opinions.

The fact that there's no clear winner is a very, very good thing. Both are going to keep fighting to one up each other. Plus, what's also interesting, is that both are being challenged by the graphical feats in games such as PGR4 and the sounds/excitement of games like Shift and the rejuvinated Need for Speed Series.

While sales may be depressed right now for the genre, things are looking pretty good for gamers.

RSTEIN said:
Most of the things discussed here are subjective: driving feel, engine sounds & other sounds, graphics, menu layout, etc.

But I think it's clear that the gap between the two sims has narrowed considerably to the point where there is no clear winner. The only thing we can say definitively is that the grand consensus of the critics is that Forza 3 is the better game. It has the higher score. But this grand opinion is merely the sum of a whole bunch of opinions.

The fact that there's no clear winner is a very, very good thing. Both are going to keep fighting to one up each other. Plus, what's also interesting, is that both are being challenged by the graphical feats in games such as PGR4 and the sounds/excitement of games like Shift and the rejuvinated Need for Speed Series.

While sales may be depressed right now for the genre, things are looking pretty good for gamers.

They won't be for GT5.

szaromir said:
The power of pack-ins.
:lol I love these posts.

Yes, all of GT5 sales will be from bundles. The previous games too. And no, the consumer didn't choose to buy that bundle, he was forced to, so it doesn't count. Cause there are no other bundles available at all.

Was that Che ban a preemptive move?:lol
Got to hand it to the guy, he brought a measure of sophistication and style to his practice. And I mean that sincerely.

szaromir

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
:lol I love these posts.

Yes, all of GT5 sales will be from bundles. The previous games too. And no, the consumer didn't choose to buy that bundle, he was forced to, so it doesn't count. Cause there are no other bundles available at all.
GT is a popular series and it's also has long history of being bundled with the console. I'm not really attacking GT, MS has been doing the same with FM3. Though what is funnier is that you are bsolutely certain GT5 will at least match GT4.

Top Bottom