• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your Favorite Console OS?

There have been many different things that have been made standard during this generation of consoles. Wireless controllers, power buttons on the controllers, internal storage, digital downloads, etc.

However one of the most important things added to this generation of consoles is a full blown OS. Consoles have quite progressed compared to last generation where the most interactivity would be to check your memory card.

Default_sm.png

wii_menu_screen_lg.jpg

xbox_360_new_xbox_experience_games.jpg

These are the 3 "faces" of this generation's OS's and there is no doubt that they will be vastly improved with their console's successor. As of now however there what we got and they seem very adequate and performing their tasks.

So out of all of the console OS's this generation, what's your favorite?

EDIT - I realize that some people refer to this as the dashboard but I prefer the other widely used term "OS".

kiryogi

Banned
XMB. Not the most user friendly from the get go, but great options and organization at your fingertips once you get it.

Flek

Banned
XMB >> all

i liked the 360 dashboard before the update too though but the xmb is just to awesome… :)

LCfiner

I missed the blades. that was my favorite for moving around my library and media.

XMB is the current champ of all that's available

inner-G

Banned
PS3>360>Wii for me.

I like the internet browser (i actually use it sometimes) and the media streaming with PS3mediaserver, and I use it alot to watch stuff on my TV. I have an OG 60GB, and I use the memory card slots a lot for putting stuff on my PSP and looking at pics from my digi cam.

360 i liked, I wish it had a few more features, and I wish it could play/copy stuff from USB devices. For playing back music and movies, it was definitely accessible.

And the Wii, well... it's the Wii.

Balb

The XMB wins by default. The NXE is too clunky and the Wii, though it has potential, isn't always connected to the internet and requires the wii remote pointer to choose options.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
XMB no second thoughts. So simple, so easy to use and elaborate at the same time.
Also love the fact that the PS3 plays Divx and with PS3mediaserver, every single video codec out there.

gokieks

XMB. Even 3.0x isn't that bad, aside from a few questionable aesthetic issues (gray boxes around friend list). And in terms of the ease and logical-ness of navigation, it's the clear winner.

NXE is serviceable, but the way things are categorized is annoying. The Wii OS is just a mess entirely, though I think the fault really is with the limitations imposed by the control scheme (need to be useable via a cursor instead of just moving through column/rows), and the Wiimote is just not accurate enough to make it a mouse-like point-and-click experience.

Balb said:
The XMB wins by default. The NXE is too clunky and the Wii, though it has potential, isn't always connected to the internet and requires the wii remote pointer to choose options.
You can use the Classic Controller if you have one plugged in.

corpserot

Jibril said:
XMB no second thoughts. So simple, so easy to use and elaborate at the same time.
Also love the fact that the PS3 plays Divx and with PS3mediaserver, every single video codec out there.
Not exclusive to the PS3. :/

I liked the old blades the best by far, but currently XMB is king.

I like the Wii's interface with everything easily accessible and zero ads. Don't have a PS3 so no idea if they have ads.

vazel

Banned
Why are some of you saying pre current gen consoles. Consoles before had more of a bios. It was very basic system and memory card management settings. You can't be taken seriously.

I like the Wii, I use it primarily as a VC machine and having all my games displayed several per page is nice. With xmb and xbox there's scrolling involved.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
corpserot said:
Not exclusive to the PS3. :/

I liked the old blades the best by far, but currently XMB is king.

Didn't say it was. ;)

Also, since all PS3's have wi-fi, mediaserver capabilities are easier to utilize than on my launch 360. Which doesn't have Wi-Fi.

1. Wii, as I can choose things very quickly. Everything I play or use is on the front page. Just point and go.
2. PS3, nice set up, and has the best added functionality.
3. Everything else.

Last. NXE - its terrible.

OnPoint

I AM JOHN! said:
What do you mean "oh wait"? That's a totally valid response. You're flying through space in your crazy Saturn spaceship!

SPACE!!!

Just seemed like we were all going current gen.

Jibril said:
Didn't say it was. ;)

Also, since all PS3's have wi-fi, mediaserver capabilities are easier to utilize than on my launch 360. Which doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Hey, hey, hey, even though I pick the XMB, the OG 20GB models don't have wi-fi.

I have all 3 and I prefer the NXE. XMB does strange things with folders when hooked up to a PC. Why when I try to look at pictures does it show me the music folder on my PC?

I appreciate the minimalism and VERY much appreciate the 1080p on the XMB dash but NXE and by extension Windows Media Center talks to my home PC better. Marketplace is also nicer than the Playstation Store.

NXE still needs streamlining though.

APF

They're all awful and designed for less content / options than they needed to accommodate for.

Oneself

Definitely the XBM ... but I still think it's too complicated for casual users. They have trouble using a TV menu, finding the "source" button, plugging a console properly ... do you really think they can use something like the XMB? :lol

Top Bottom