• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sees Pirates As A New Market

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought this was a rather unique approach to piracy. I tried to narrow it down with bolding, but I'd suggest reading the entire thing as the relevant parts are kind of all over the place.

Kotaku said:
John Riccitiello, the gaming-savvy head of Electronic Arts, doesn't want anyone to pirate games. But those who do, he told Kotaku, present a new market that EA needs to make money from.

How?

By selling people who grab games digitally — without paying for them — post-release downloadable content.

"They can steal the disc, but they can't steal the DLC," he said.

The opportunity to discuss how one of the world's largest publishers might see software-pirating gamers as a potential revenue source emerged last week when Kotaku sat with Riccitiello for a wide-ranging interview about EA's games and future.

Riccitiello spoke energetically about the popularity of the company's downloadable content add-ons. Some of EA's DLC has been free, such as the launch-day offerings of a new town in The Sims 3 or a nudity option in The Saboteur. Others, such as the paid DLC for November's Dragon Age Origins, generated a million downloads in its first week, according to an EA spokesperson.

"The consumer seems to really like this idea that there is extra stuff," Riccitiello said, while expressing surprise that some of this DLC is downloaded so soon after people start playing the games. "The consumer wants more, and when you give them more or sell them more it seems to be extremely well received."

Some of the people buying this DLC are not people who bought the game in a new shrink-wrapped box. That could be seen as a dark cloud, a mass of gamers who play a game without contributing a penny to EA. But around that cloud Riccitiello identified a silver lining: "There's a sizable pirate market and a sizable second sale market and we want to try to generate revenue in that marketplace," he said, pointing to DLC as a way to do it.

The EA boss would prefer people bought their games, of course. "I don't think anybody should pirate anything," he said. "I believe in the artistry of the people who build [the games industry.] I profoundly believe that. And when you steal from us, you steal from them. Having said that, there's a lot of people who do." So encourage those pirates to pay for something, he figures. Riccitiello explained that EA's download services aren't perfect at distinguishing between used copies of games and pirated copies. As a result, he suggested, EA sells DLC to both communities of gamers. And that's how a pirate can turn into a paying customer.

Riccitiello also hopes some of those pirates will come around and become not just DLC purchasers, but game purchasers. He said the music industry erred in "demonizing" its consumers rather than reacting to them. He believes that EA has an obligation to make it enticing for people to play games legitimately. And he hopes that services such as EA Sports' community hub or the BioWare social site that hooks into Dragon Age will make it so alluring that it will be "increasingly less likely that people will pirate because there is so much value on the other side of the door."

Until the pirates are converted there's some DLC they can buy, if they want their game to be more fun and if they'd like to show the people who made the game a little more support.

NOTE: Several readers have commented that PC-based DLC is indeed pirated by some gamers. While this may be the case, I believe Riccitiello's statement that DLC can't be pirated may at least be accurate for console DLC (He hadn't specificed). As noted in the original story above, he hopes that post-release community and content incentivizes pirates to turn into legitimate consumers.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5421466/ea-ceo-i-think-of-pirates-as-a-marketplace

While it's good that companies can get a bit of money out of the pirates, it also makes me worried about DLC endings becoming more prominent in the future.

Acidote

Pirates can still play DLC without paying for it in most cases. But sometimes, annoys me as a buyer to see all that DLC that makes a game I payed for not complete from my point of view.

SmokyDave

Presumably this only applies to the Xbox 360?

PC pirates will pirate DLC and there are no PS3 pirates. If this means they chop really compelling bits out of multi-platform games in order to keep 360 pirates purchasing things I'll not be pleased.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is just a bullshit excuse to cut even more out of games and a stealthy way to raise game prices another £5 or £10.

Aaron

kafka rock opera said:
For some reasons i read the title to imply i was finally going to get a game where i could be a pirate. :( oh well.
Legend of Black Kat II where all the islands are DLC. Yarr!

SmokyDave said:
Presumably this only applies to the Xbox 360?

PC pirates will pirate DLC and there are no PS3 pirates. If this means they chop really compelling bits out of multi-platform games in order to keep 360 pirates purchasing things I'll not be pleased.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is just a bullshit excuse to cut even more out of games and a stealthy way to raise game prices another £5 or £10.
That's basically DLC. A hidden price hike for the full game unless you want an incomplete game.

Grayman

Well as long as they are not demonizing the consumer. Unfortunately for the consumer this means that games being full price plus at launch will not go away.

kafka rock opera said:
For some reasons i read the title to imply i was finally going to get a game where i could be a pirate. :( oh well.
You can be a pirate in this great game, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Pirates!_(2004_video_game)

Chuck Norris said:
and you too!

I do think that publishers should find a way to 'live with it'. But they should of course try to stop it. Simultaneous worldwide releases are important, as are limiting the ways in which the media have access to pre-release copies.

The first step should be to make the hardware as inconvenient to hack as possible. The second step is to make the software inconvenient to pirate. Large capacity discs have helped in that (and will continue to until broadband capabilities improve)

I think a good idea is to perfect the kind of copy protection in some Square-Enix and Nintendo titles -- I think its provided by a third party software security provider... they make the security a part of the game code. It gets cracked in the end, but if it can last long enough past the release date to frustrate people, you might get more sales out of people that would have completely avoided buying otherwise. For example:

- A couple of Square-Enix DS titles actually let you get to a certain point on copied games, then spit out a "buy the game plz" message.
- NSMB Wii glitched and quit, but not before giving pirates a taste of an awesome game
- Spirit Tracks let pirates play up until getting the train, and then removed the controls to actually pilot the thing

I think copy protection methods like this are pretty awesome + hilarious! I don't know how cost effective they are, or if they're working, but they just seem like good ideas.

legend166

The Dragon Age DLC is bullcrap.

I mean when "Purchase Downloadable Content" is an option in a dialogue tree after the NPC has explained to me what the DLC is but without actually telling me it was DLC, I'm not going to purchase your damn DLC, EA you wankers.

DR2K

Banned
I don't see pirates buying DLC as much as I do second hand market doing so. I know I've bought games used and purchased DLC.

GavinGT

Banned
Which is precisely why Microsoft is going to lose money on those bannings. Most of them will never go legit, so might as well milk them for DLC and XBL memberships. I could see it discouraging more people from pirating, however.

legend166 said:

I mean when "Purchase Downloadable Content" is an option in a dialogue tree after the NPC has explained to me what the DLC is but without actually telling me it was DLC, I'm not going to purchase your damn DLC, EA you wankers.

lol I thought it was just me who was annoyed by that. Wanted to blow up the guy in the camp (and that guy in sulchers pass or what ever it is called)

Sapiens

I always thought DLC was a response to piracy. Making the honest consumer pay more for the game to cover the pirate's end of things.

Because, really, DLC is a fucking joke.

Sapiens said:
I always thought DLC was a response to piracy. Making the honest consumer pay more for the game to cover the pirate's end of things.

Because, really, DLC is a fucking joke.

couldn't agree more

jorma

is now taking requests
Good! No, awesome! Much better than the route music and movie industry went - intense lobbying trying to turn the internet into a heavily controlled shopping zone using Orwellian methods - heavy surveillance combined with surreal sanctions.

We may end up with half a game on the disc, and the other half as DLC codes in the box.

Gears 2 and The Saboteur have already begun this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
edit: nevermind! I should have read the entire thing before commenting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EA thinks selling DLC reverses piracy. In other news: Pope Shits in Woods, film at 11.

No, seriously: Does anyone not think that selling DLC isn't going to make them a little bit of money? Pirate or no?

I was expecting a little something more from this article: "If pirates are pirating my games, it means I have to have something they want. Thereby test the waters by lowering prices a bit." Or, something like that.

GavinGT said:
Which is precisely why Microsoft is going to lose money on those bannings. Most of them will never go legit, so might as well milk them for DLC and XBL memberships. I could see it discouraging more people from pirating, however.

But it keeps them hacking/cheating the servers, which is what I want my $50 (since it's going to FUCK ALL in gaming) to be used on the service for.

Masta_Killah said:
The return of shareware.

Would be fucking glorious, since hardly anyone is doing fucking demos. Want me to buy your game? Let me try it for a bit and see if it's worth my $60.

Burai

shitonmychest57
"We've found a way to make money from pirates."

ign_yeah.jpg

"But we have to fuck genuine consumers over at the same time."

ign_meh.jpg

Mithos

Aeris130 said:
This means they'll lower the price for those of us that actually buy the game? Right?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I'd say this way of doing business will give birth to even more pirates.

Acidote

Dalauz said:
THAT TOTALLY WORKED WITH DRAGON AGE ORIGIN

:lol

Yes, a game where those who pirated it can play with all the preorder items while anybody else would have to buy it from like 3 or 4 differents stores.

At least it has mods to substitute them with clones.

Monkeylord said:
We may end up with half a game on the disc, and the other half as DLC codes in the box.

Gears 2 and The Saboteur have already begun this.
5 ported and updated MP maps from the first game is not half a game in gears 2.

Forza does this also by giving a code for 10 classic cars and two large test tracks.

Diablohead said:
5 ported and updated MP maps from the first game is not half a game in gears 2.

Forza does this also by giving a code for 10 classic cars and two large test tracks.

The point was, they have game content that's free with the initial purchase, but anyone buying second-hand or obtained via pirating have to pay for. In the case of the 2 I mentioned the content wasn't essential... but it's just a matter of time before essential content will be included as a free download for purchasers of an original release and be pay only for 2nd-hand/pirated copies.

I should have been clearer.

Monkeylord said:
The point was, they have game content that's free with the initial purchase, but anyone buying second-hand or obtained via pirating have to pay for. In the case of the 2 I mentioned the content wasn't essential... but it's just a matter of time before essential content will be included as a free download for purchasers of an original release and be pay only for 2nd-hand/pirated copies.

I should have been clearer.
That's a good idea, every new game can bring a serial number that when activated will turn the future (and present) DLCs free. But I'm pretty sure they will not do this.

legend166 said:

This.

I love Dragon Age but you can tell that their DLC was ripped straight from the god damn disk. They can't even say it was because of space issues, the 360 version only takes up 6.4GB by itself and with the DLC it would still hover around 6.7GB, the cap being around 6.9/7GB.

Top Bottom