• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Dreamcast Logo Spotted On Cup." - A UK:Resistance Respect thread.

Has anyone else had a good dream about SEGA? Preferably involving a bit more sex than this one. Dreams are not covered by any laws. They can be about anything.

This thread is to celebrate the history and continued existence of one of the oldest, most passionate gaming websites in existence: UK:Resistance.

History

Back in 1996-2001, UK:Resistance was an eager, fanboyish Sega fansite.

1998 said:
And I'm sorry to mention this again, but exactly where is Playstation X-Men? Nowhere to be seen. Street Fighter v X-Men? Only on the Saturn I'm afraid.
Are there any reasons left to buy a Playstation?

SO WHY DO YOU ALL KEEP BUYING THE BLOODY THING THEN? - (1998)

They published Saturn-related news and reviews, and conveyed a passion for all things Sega. As time went on, this fevered support passed onto the Dreamcast.

dcstandbig.gif

But With the Fall of the House of Sega, one would have expected UK:Resistance to die a quiet death.

Instead, the website continued, either unaware or unwilling to realise the console wars have now moved passed Sega Vs Everyone. The site is now a repository of news and views with one common thread: a fanboyism (bordering on deranged obsession) with Sega.

Present day

UK:Resistance's various "news" often consists of one or more of the following:

A venomous, deep-rooted bitterness towards the victors of past console wars (especially Sony, for their role in the Dreamcast's demise)

TALL STORIES, WITH KEN KUTARAGI
Episode 1: Ken and the Giant Bears

tallstories1.jpg

Next week: Ken and the 400,000 American units. - (2006)
MOMENTOUS SONY MOMENT
World seems a 'different place' following sensational internet discovery.

sony-upside-down.jpg

Another superb contender for Last Ever UKR Update. - (2009)
JAPANESE HARDWARE SALES FOR THE WEEK ENDING JANUARY 28

Bear these official figures in mind next time you hear Sony bragging about how many million PS3s it has "shipped":

1. Nintendo DS Lite: 194,526
2. Nintendo Wii: 83,754
3. PlayStation Portable: 35,700
4. PlayStation 2: 20,995
5. PlayStation 3: 19,996
6. Xbox 360: 7,365

WHAT SONY MEANS WHEN IT SAYS "SHIPPED":

• Moved from regional storage facility A to regional storage facility B
  • Put on a boat to somewhere else that may want them
  • In a lorry
  • In a pile waiting to be put on a lorry
  • Hidden in the ground

sonyshippingstrategy.jpg

- (2007)
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, NINTENDO
You're seriously letting the side down. There's a FUCKING WAR GOING ON, in case you hadn't FUCKING NOTICED. Get your FUCKING factories into FUCKING GEAR and get some FUCKING CONSOLES out onto the FUCKING SHELVES, you FUCKING LAZY bunch of shysters.

jesusfuckingchristnintendo.jpg

If we don't start seeing some Wiis out there PRETTY FUCKING SOON we're going to have to start another war. Honestly. It's like you're not even trying. How hard is it to put Gamecubes into white boxes anyway? - (2007)

A disconnect from fact and reality.

THE TIMELINE HAS BEEN DISRUPTED!
WE'VE GOT TO TRAVEL BACK TO 1995 IMMEDIATELY. This isn't how it was meant to be. Something has gone BADLY WRONG with the time stream. This shouldn't exist. SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG. This shouldn't be here in our WORLD LINE:

segarally2005.jpg

WE'RE ON THE WRONG TIMELINE! It's not supposed to be like this. Oh god. We've got to fix it. We've got to do it all again. We've got to travel back to 1995 and TRY HARDER TO SAVE SEGA. WE'VE GOT TO GO BACK TO 1995 AND GET A SEGA SATURN. IT'S THE ONLY MACHINE THAT CAN PLAY SEGA RALLY PROPERLY IN THIS TIME FRAME. ALL THE SATURNS WERE DESTROYED BY PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND ITS POWER. WE HAVE TO GO BACK.- (2006)
"SEGA ARE PLANNING ON RE-RELEASING THE SATURN AND WERE PLANNING SOME SORT OF LAUNCH WITH FANTA BUT THEY HAVE ACCIDENTALLY LEAKED IT"

SEGA Saturn spotted on contemporary Fanta bottle! Clear sign of imminent return to hardware business for the once-dominant force in gaming! Fizzy pop tie-in cleverly designed to target youth demographic! GLORY DAYS A-COMING A-BACK A-GAIN!

saturn-fanta-comeback-1a.jpg

"No this isn't some Fanta bottle I've been keeping since 1996 - this is a brand new Fanta bottle. What is on the side of it? ONLY THE BEST CONSOLE EVER CREATED WHICH HAS BEEN DEAD 10 YEARS! This can only mean... #1 SEGA is planning on re-releasing the Saturn and were planning some sort of launch with Fanta but they have accidentally leaked it...."

saturn-fanta-comeback-3a.jpg

- (2008)

A subtle commentary on the state of the Games industry:

A DESTROYED AND BROKEN BOOTH BABE

There is nothing glamorous about the video games industry.

destroyed-booth-babe.jpg

Even when crying and trying to sleep the day over there is someone taking photos of her from behind. Fortunately, we don't feel pity or remorse. Just a curiosity about if she's wearing tights or just has weird feet. - (2007)

Anything with a potential connection to Sega.

DREAMCAST SADNESS IN SUTTON COLDFIELD
Someone send a news crew to Sutton Coldfield - some idiot's binned a Dreamcast. It's clearly a cry for help from some poor, disenfranchised video gamer.

dreamcast-skip-sadness-1a.jpg

(2008)
DEEP INSIDE SEGA EUROPE #3: THE SIGN IN THE TOILETS
A man went to a "community day" at SEGA Europe. The food and travel was paid for. The food was probably a buffet consisting mainly of tuna sandwiches, so don't get too jealous. He did get to do a poo in the SEGA toilet, though, then took a photo of the sign inside the cubicle.

sega-uk-toilet1.jpg

Please wipe the semen off the seat.

- ((2008)
This is the back of a man's sister's chair. He says the design looks a bit like Dr Robotnik, although she insists it's meant to be flowers.

robotnikchair.jpg

Robotnik furniture range EXCLUSIVE

Beat that.

- (2006)
DREAMCAST LOGO SPOTTED ON CUP

dreamcast-logo-cup-1a.jpg

- (2008)

And news and headlines that you just cannot find anywhere else.

A BRIDGE THAT LOOKS LIKE A SPACE INVADER
This is rapidly becoming our favourite type of update. It's just a thing that looks a bit like another thing. It requires no thought, just a bit of looking at to decided if the thing really does look like the thing it's supposed to.

In this case, it does. It really is a bridge that looks like a Space Invader.

bridge-space-invader-1a.jpg

ER, PHIL HARRISON FAN ART
Got sent this. Have reported sender to police for harassment.

pharrison.png

"Hey there. I drew this a long time ago when I was sick and Phil's life still mattered to some people. I was going to ask that you use this instead whenever something dumb he had to say was to be featured on your site, but I guess I figured I'd never see him there again now that he's over at Atari, no doubt heading up the addition of motion controls in time for the 2600's re-release. But, like a bad penny, he just keeps turning up - Dan."

- (2008)

A PRINTER CARTRIDGE THAT LOOKS LIKE A VIDEO GAME SHOTGUN

Here's a toner cartridge that looks like a video game shotgun. It even has an official designation that sounds like a video game shotgun - the Canon C-EXV8. If we remember correctly, that's the precise model that Chip Cockloader used in Generic Corridor SpaceDeaths II. No, wait, Generic Corridor SpaceDeaths III. The one that was set on Earth.

printer-cartridge-shotgun-1.jpg

- (2008)

THE MIRACLE OF THE PAC-MAN CRISP
Hopefully this is an actual miracle, and isn't just viral marketing for Xbox Live Arcade Pac-Man. Although putting a crisp in a packet and hoping someone finds it and does some news about it is hopeful at best.

pacman-crisp-miracle-2.jpg

- (2007)

NEW VEIN OF MATERIAL DISCOVERED: PAPIER MACHE CHARACTERS

One of those new-wave blogs that exists to laugh at the brave work of the everyday man/child has dug up this sensational pair of papier mache creations. One of which you may be able to recognise, although we’d need its dental records to be 100 percent sure.

papier-mache-sonic.jpg

Discovered by a person called “Art”.

papier-mache-pikachu.jpg

Those are actual human eyes.

- (2009)

If you've never read the site, I'd suggest a look through their nearly fifteen years of archives for some giggles. It resonates with my sense of humour completely, though I'm still unsure how to classify the site: Joke site? Parody of rabid fanboyism? Regardless, its one of the longest-running game sites ever, and I feel is worthy of a respect thread.

Burger

Pretty sure Commander Zorg has an account here. Never see him use it though.

Anyway, I moved on to Idiot Toys, until they went mental over batteries that is.

Eric C

Mama Robotnik said:
This is the back of a man's sister's chair. He says the design looks a bit like Dr Robotnik, although she insists it's meant to be flowers.
robotnikchair.jpg

Robotnik furniture range EXCLUSIVE

Beat that.

- (2006)

I see it. It does look like Robotnik.

squicken

The whole "War in Eurpoe" against Sony was insane and funny. I also remember a Cream the Rabbit creaming pictorial.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The PS2 misinformation campaign had some funny stuff.

I started reading UK:R in the '90s.

squicken said:
The whole "War in Eurpoe" against Sony was insane and funny. I also remember a Cream the Rabbit creaming pictorial.

That shit was brutally funny. Especially some of the enraged comments in response.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thanks for reminding me I haven't bookmarked UK:RESISTANCE since my last hard drive wipe, Mama Robotnik. I love that site.

BTW, their update from Dec. 14:

UK:RESISTANCE said:
ENEMY FUNDS CONTINUE TO BE DEPLETED BY HARDWARE COSTS

The enemy continues to waste its money pushing its “PlayStation3″ “entertainment” consoles onto an uncaring and unwanting world, with the foolish hardware maker STILL losing money on every PS3 it TRICKS unaware civilians into buying.

And this despite the enemy boasting of recent engineering efficiencies!

ps3-losing-money-still.jpg

Image taken from a propaganda leaflet air-dropped in by Kotaku, which claims PS3 costs $336.27 to make – and sells for less. And that’s before you take into account the cost of the box, and all the shit games Sony rams into the packaging in order to make it look like some sort of “deal”.

"The enemy" :lol

love the site, I've always loved the site ever since I discovered it in the heydey of the Dreamcast. Come to think of it, it was the very first blog-styled site I was ever a fan of, before I even knew what a blog was.

mollipen

Always loved UK:R, and always will. It was hard for me not to, as I was a Sega person, I loved my Dreamcast, and I felt raw at Sony for whipping people into a frenzy over the PS2 before it even came out ("why should I buy a Dreamcast, the PS2 is going to totally destroy it!").

shidoshi said:
Always loved UK:R, and always will. It was hard for me not to, as I was a Sega person, I loved my Dreamcast, and I felt raw at Sony for whipping people into a frenzy over the PS2 before it even came out ("why should I buy a Dreamcast, the PS2 is going to totally destroy it!").

The Dreamcast was great but in 1999 I had pretty much given up on Sega in terms of investment. They burned through so much goodwill with constant dead end add-ons and the Saturn that I think it's a bit silly to place most of the blame on Sony's hype machine.

The Dreamcast is the definition of too late. In fact it was "so late" that not even the generational leg-up they had on the competition could help them.

In 1999 I was waiting for a Gamecube (another discussion in itself), had zero income and felt that there was no reason to buy a Sega system that I assumed was just going to be another failure that would lose steam a year beyond launch.

And I was kind of right, for better or worse.

I remember their "PS3 Lie Watch" pictures, where they would compare how from the promotional shots to the actual release consoles to the cost-reduced versions how the number of ports on the back kept dwindling, with big bold arrows and the word "LIE" pointing to each one. :lol

It was kind of weirdly valid point at the time. Remember when Sony maintained that the 60 GB PS3 was going to have 2 independent HDMI outputs?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That Pikachu is prime avatar material.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I haven't laughed this much at a thread in a long time. :lol Being a Sega fan till the day the good peoples left, this means a lot. I'm surprised I never ran into this site before.

Haunted

UK:R is awesome, awesome is UK:R. Does he still have his account here?

I laughed so hard at the Kutaragi shops.

HUELEN10

Haunted said:
UK:R is awesome, awesome is UK:R. Does he still have his account here?

I laughed so hard at the Kutaragi shops.
The user by the same name actually has NOTHING to do with the site.

Top Bottom