• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muramasa & Little King's Story selling well thanks to EU: LKS 2 "awaiting greenlight"

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
-Little King's Story Wii Still Selling Well (in Europe)-

Rising Star Games has revealed that despite modest worldwide sales, Little King's Story is doing well in Europe. Talking in a recently published interview, Rising Star's Product Manager Yen Hau went on record to point out that as well as receiving high praise from all media sources, the game "is still selling well to this day, something which doesn't happen often to videogames." This will definitely come as fantastic news for fans of the game that were thrilled to hear a concept for a sequel is already in place and merely awaiting the greenlight, as mentioned in Cubed3's recent interview with Japanese publisher Marvelous Entertainment.

Below are some quotes from Yen Hau's interview, where Harvest Moon DS3 is confirmed for 2010, JU-ON met expectations and Muramasa: The Demon Blade overcame issues with GAME not stocking it in the UK and has "performed well so far":

Bu-bu but hardcore GAF told me that these games are the very definition of "BOMBA"!

2rh7lhj.jpg
10rmjxf.jpg

--
Source: http://www.cubed3.com/news/13548 (edit: website's down for me atm)
(thanks to Captain Smoker for the heads up)

Dash Kappei said:
Bu-bu but hardcore GAF told me that these games are the very definition of "BOMBA"!
Well, to be fair, we don't get European numbers, and in every other territory the game is selling worse than dick nails.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, to be fair, we don't get European numbers, and in every other territory the game is selling worse than dick nails.

I'd also add that IIRC LKS never showed any chart presence in the Europe data we do get, so any decent sales happened way under the radar.

Apenheul

I LKS2 gets developed I hope the 2-player multiplayer mode which they scrapped (because of QA and debug issues, the producer mentioned) is back in.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Assuming this is true I'm glad that at the very least some of the Marvelous titles made up some ground in the West since they pretty much bombed in Japan.

I really really enjoyed both LKS and Muramasa.

can i point something out i keep hearing about GAME and/or other stores not stocking Muramasa, however every GAME i've been in do sell it as do most other games shops i've noticed

Sadist

DeaconKnowledge said:
Awesome. Please buy More Rune Factory Frontier so I can get a sequel of that too.
I will, when the game finally releases in March here :lol

frankie_baby said:
can i point something out i keep hearing about GAME and/or other stores not stocking Muramasa, however every GAME i've been in do sell it as do most other games shops i've noticed
The article mentions they overcame their issues with GAME.

Osuwari

there should be stuff like Media create or NPD tracking european sales and posting numbers since the market is really big and can save games from being complete bombas.

anyonme remembers the cooking mama stuff? sold like 10k in japan but was at 1 million in europe iirc.

samratty

frankie_baby said:
GAME (Meaning Gamestation and GAME) refused to buy any copies of Muramasa) at launch. Rising Star are only a small company and it was hard to convince them, and I believe either Marvalous or Rising Star themselves mentioned this difficulty with GAME themselves.
So primarily at launch it was on online retailers etc.
Perhaps it doing reasonably well in that space convinced Game to change their mind and stock it, or perhaps those are used copies you saw. I haven't seen it in my local Gamestation, but I haven't really looked

samratty said:
GAME (Meaning Gamestation and GAME) refused to buy any copies of Muramasa) at launch. Rising Star are only a small company and it was hard to convince them, and I believe either Marvalous or Rising Star themselves mentioned this difficulty with GAME themselves.
So primarily at launch it was on online retailers etc.
Perhaps it doing reasonably well in that space convinced Game to change their mind and stock it, or perhaps those are used copies you saw. I haven't seen it in my local Gamestation, but I haven't really looked

they've definately got new copies at my local GAME, was on the buy one get one free section last time i looked so i should go pick up a copy when i'm next in town

faridmon

even though i want the games to sell good, i kind of don't believe this. the games price is slashed everywhere, which means they have over flowed the game way too much.

i really don't understand how can it be successful when the game is sold for like 15 quid everywhere online since day 14.

well it doesn't matter since they said it officially and hence you can all ignore my stupid comments.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Jaded Alyx said:
That's nice Rising Star.

Now where the hell is NMH2?

End of February.

franky_baby said:

GAME/Gamestation refused to stock Muramasa at launch.
RSG and GAME sorted that out down the line, a few weeks later.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Exactly my point.
We don't get European numbers most of the times, many Wii games seem to still be able to pull successfull numbers/meeting expectations since Wii's development costs are much lower compared to most HD games; European market is also much bigger than what it's usually accounted for in many sales-age threads and Wii games' have usually a different selling trend compared to that of other platforms (i.e. legs). I just think that the term "Bomba" gets thrown around a lot around here, maybe more often than it would be fair to and especially concerning Wii's 3rd parties games.

Koren

Tailzo said:
I'm glad I bought LKS. Great game. Nice to see Europe "saving" some developers.
Yeah, and Rising Star Games is doing a big job of localizing some niche games. I couldn"t have my content of Harvest Moon without them (and they were even kind enough to answer me when I asked them about the status of Magical Melody when everyone thought it was canned)

Plus, Murasama and LKS are two great games, and they deserve some sales.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
go EU, go!

please, do the same with zack & wiki! /i-wish-capcom-had-any-business-sese statement of the day

I bought both games. Haven't really touched any of them yet, but they are sitting there in the shelf. I really need to get through my backlog...

Neo C.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the game sells constantly some low numbers in the USA as well. As the article stated, it sells well in Europe in the long run, and IIRC, it didn't sell remarkably well initially.

Owzers

That sounds like the pep talk a coach would give to his team after they lost a match in little league. " you overcame difficulty and are doing okay!"

Dascu

Sadist said:
I'll look into it, thanks.

On another note, maybe they will release LKS 2 on DS
Maybe they'll put it on PSN/XBLA!

Whatever be of it, a hypothetical LKS2 should use the Wii's IR pointer. It wasn't necessary and the original LKS was designed around a traditional controller set-up, but it's definitely a type of game where it could work well. Oh, and some sort of quick-save feature.

I enjoyed Muramasa, didn't really enjoy Little King's Story. I guess I just don't like RTS games :/ I bought LKS day one though in the US :/

markatisu

Last we heard Muramasa was selling fine in the US for what they expected, but glad that its doing well in the EU.

Two more examples of the long tail on Wii games and going from bomba at the gate to damn that thing actually sold some copies status like many games before it (De Blob, Boom Blox, Game Party, HoTD 2/3 Returns, etc)

Top Bottom