• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR FOX 2 |OT| The Battle for Corneria

VDenter

Banned
Man what a weird game. It is really ambitious in some ways even more so than Star Fox 64 considering the hardware difference and that is really something. Cancelling this game was a mistake. Star Fox 64 would not release for another year, this game would have been a fitting swan song to the SNES. But hey nice to see it out finally and it is certainly better than the last two major Star Fox games that have been released. So that alone makes it worth playing.

Celine

Man what a weird game. It is really ambitious in some ways even more so than Star Fox 64 considering the hardware difference and that is really something. Cancelling this game was a mistake. Star Fox 64 would not release for another year, this game would have been a fitting swan song to the SNES. But hey nice to see it out finally and it is certainly better than the last two major Star Fox games that have been released. So that alone makes it worth playing.
The decision to cancel Stafox 2 was a pity (because it is an ambitious game) but not a mistake (from a commercial point of view).
Starfox 64 was released a year after and outsold Starfox therefore becoming the best selling shmups ever.

TheMoon

Added a bit about the difficulty affecting gameplay scenarios to the OP.

Seems a few people here have been playing this like most play emulator games. A quick hit it and quit it session without actually trying to "get" the game.

antun

So amazing. I cannot believe this was finished in 95/96 and not released.

This is one of the best games I´ve ever played.

I got my ass handed to me now when I tried beating expert mode again. This time I lost when the two bosses were sent out to hunt me down.

I love the randomness and I love all of the strategy in what to attack and when to attack it.

I still havn´t gotten an A rank but I don´t feel like playing any other mode than expert anymore. It´s so fun to be overwhelmed.

:D

Shaanyboi

Banned
So did Nintendo ever explicitly state why this was brought out at all? Like why now?

Because I'd personally be inclined to believe this was to regain some good will after Star Fox Zero was such a disappointment that the brand was in the gutter. Atleast now, there's some semblance of enthusiasm again.

Haunted

This is obviously one of the most ambitious games on the SNES. Quite modern in its design approach as well, with the replayability and randomised elements.

That said, the SNES is not equipped to handle the intensity of the 3D arenas and the game devolves into a visual mess all too often.

Released back in 1995 or early 1996 and it would have been a hugely impressive, if flawed gem with a legacy of being ahead of its time and launched on the wrong hardware, I'm sure.

VDenter

Banned
The decision to cancel Stafox 2 was a pity (because it is an ambitious game) but not a mistake (from a commercial point of view).
Starfox 64 was released a year after and outsold Starfox therefore becoming the best selling shmups ever.

I guess but there is no indication that Star Fox 2 would have hindered Star Fox 64 sales at all. It would have sold just as many copies most likely even with Star Fox 2 being released. One year is plenty of time to get people hungry for another entry. Star Fox 2 would have also sold most likely well enough. There is always the issue with late titles in any generation not selling well because people move on to other hardware but eh i think it would have been fine in the end.

Ninja Dom

I read through the NOA interview and I’m still not sure.

Was Star Fox 2 development incomplete and they completed it this year for inclusion on the SNES MINI?

Or it was finished and complete over 20 years ago?

How did the unfinished Roms get leaked on the internet?

Ninja Dom

I guess but there is no indication that Star Fox 2 would have hindered Star Fox 64 sales at all. It would have sold just as many copies most likely even with Star Fox 2 being released. One year is plenty of time to get people hungry for another entry. Star Fox 2 would have also sold most likely well enough. There is always the issue with late titles in any generation not selling well because people move on to other hardware but eh i think it would have been fine in the end.

No, according to the interviews, the issue was also the price that Star Fox 2 was going to have to cost as well.

Miyamoto said:
Right. Nintendo 64 was hardware geared for polygons, but Super NES wasn’t, so we were going to have to add a chip, the Super FX 2 with double memory, raising the price.

The price was high and the timing of the release was awkward, so we decided to cancel it and start from scratch with a new Star Fox game for Nintendo 64.

I’m assuming the marketing budgets would have played a factor as well.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Was Star Fox 2 development incomplete and they completed it this year for inclusion on the SNES MINI?

The game was finished and shelved back then, they didn't add anything new for the SNES Classic release.

We don't know who leaked the beta ROM but one would have to imagine it came from one of the Argonaut people. (They also leaked a lot of other Argonaut-related tech demos and such.)

No the game was 100% completed some 20 years ago.

So did Nintendo ever explicitly state why this was brought out at all? Like why now?

Most likely because they felt like it was the perfect opportunity to dig it up: Remember that up until the SNES Classic, no Super FX games had ever seen the light of day on the various Virtual Console services.

So it was the first time they could, it created a massive plus-value for the machine (let’s face it I wouldn’t have bought one if it wasn’t for it), and it shut up the incessant cries of a rabid fan base all in one fell swoop.

TheMoon

Because I'd personally be inclined to believe this was to regain some good will after Star Fox Zero was such a disappointment that the brand was in the gutter. Atleast now, there's some semblance of enthusiasm again.

It's in the OP even.

I read through the NOA interview and I'm still not sure.

It's always been finished. I thought that came through in all the interviews pretty clearly? Read the ones with Cuthbert, not just the promotional interview for the SNES classic, I compiled those in the OP for a reason^^. They had this ready to ship completely in 1995/6. They gave Q-Games the finished ROM while they were making SF Command on DS.

Cepheus

Star Fox 2 was canned because the 3D effects were better than the first game and Nintendo wanted to make the N64's 3D look more impressive in comparison to previous games. So they canned it so people would only have Star Fox 1 to compare Star Fox 64 to etc.

TheMoon

Star Fox 2 was canned because the 3D effects were better than the first game and Nintendo wanted to make the N64's 3D look more impressive in comparison to previous games. So they canned it so people would only have Star Fox 1 to compare Star Fox 64 to etc.

what's a "3D effect" ?

jahasaja

I do not have SNES mini yet but l am very confused, is it a good game or not? Internet is sending mixed signals..

Is the air combat fun or too simplistic?

Is it fun to control the ship?

Airan

I thought SF2 cheated and used some extra processing power in the SNES mini, because the intro was so goddamned smooth. Then I played the game and it was still sub-15fps as before lmao. The aiming feels much worse than SF1, maybe because of the lack of 'elasticity' where the aiming reticle snaps back to the center like in SF1.

I too was underwhelmed after finishing it in Normal. I'll give it a crack later on Hard mode.

TheMoon

The FX chip stuff.

Chip stuff. There's nothing in there other than the free roaming that is "better" on surface level that players will notice and would take away from SF64.

I do not have SNES mini yet but l am very confused, is it a good game or not? Internet is sending mixed signals..

Is the air combat fun or too simplistic?

Is it fun to control the ship?

Read the impressions in the thread? :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fantastic OP, really well done. I am so pleased we can have an actual Star Fox 2 OT. The world never ceases to surprise

antun

I should add that I am mostly a retro gaming person. I was born in 1982 so when I played Star Fox 1 as an 11 year old I was blown away by it. I still to this day think that game controls and plays extremely well and I don´t care that the framerate is a little on the low side.

The game still controls well and your brain fills the holes or how I should say.

The second game is an excellent continuation that brings something new to the table. Enemies and bosses are well thought out and the secrets are fun to discover.

Music and sound effects are also great.

I think the game really shows its best side on expert mode since it forces you to play so well. The stakes are high and you get two chances to fail and the main threat to the planet is great.

I´ve never played such a hectic and stressful game which still is so much fun before. Not in this way at least.

edit: I also forgot to say that I consider Star Fox 1 better than 64 so that might tell something about my stance

TheMoon

I updated the OP's genre descriptor to something more accurate after playing it :)

Question: Can I change my cockpit view from first to third person during space battles?

been wondering that myself, haven't investigated yet.

edit: i went through the manual (nobody telling me the EN web link is broken suggests nobody has used it...) and there's nothing to change the view.

Camjo-Z

Question: Can I change my cockpit view from first to third person during space battles?

You can, when you pause there's an option that says "View 1", select it and switch to "View 2" for third person. Doesn't work the other way around though, in third-person segments like planets and inside carriers you can't change to first person.

TheMoon

Just paused a Hard Mode run. This became a very different game just now. Loving it.

You can, when you pause there's an option that says "View 1", select it and switch to "View 2" for third person. Doesn't work the other way around though, in third-person segments like planets and inside carriers you can't change to first person.

Huh, really? I think I checked the pause screen for options when I was on a different mission type then. Thanks!

Camjo-Z

Just went through Hard and I gotta say, anyone who only played Normal once and called it a day didn't get the true experience. It's the equivalent of playing one route in Star Fox 64. Heck, you don't even get to see Andross's true form until Expert Mode.

Also, thanks to a guy on GameFAQS, it's been discovered that the Pepper Medals
unlock a secret base where you can get powerups and the Homing Shot ability. It only appears when you get every coin in a certain difficulty though, so in Normal you have to get all 13 for it to appear, in Hard you need 19, and in Expert you need 20.

For a snes 3D game its amazing that they managed to make so much in this game, dog fights, space combat, walkers, inside areas, there's a ton of stuff and it's amazing.

I still prefer the on rails starfox 1 personally but props given to starfox 2 being an amazing feat for it's time.

TheMoon

I always loved Starglider 2 on the Amiga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg3uQM83dl8
Star Fox 2 reminded me even more of it, so I've asked Dylan Cuthbert directly. This little thread might be interesting to fellow Star Fox fans.

unlock a secret base where you can get powerups and the Homing Shot ability. It only appears when you get every coin in a certain difficulty though, so in Normal you have to get all 13 for it to appear, in Hard you need 19, and in Expert you need 20.

Added both to the OP! This is cool, thanks!

Well both the impressions in this thread and in the review thread is very mixed. I really do not know what to make of this game. Both IGN and game informer seem to think that it is almost unplayable while others like game explain really like it.

Well? What does that mean? That means you figure out if what the good reviews tell you sounds interesting and if what the bad reviews tell you sounds off-putting and then split the difference. Don't wait for review consensus to make decisions for you.

Camjo-Z

Well both the impressions in this thread and in the review thread is very mixed. I really do not know what to make of this game. Both IGN and game informer seem to think that it is almost unplayable while others like game explain really like it.

I don't know where IGN and GI are coming from because there's nothing "unplayable" about the framerate. Aiming is tough at first but put the effort in and you start to get good enough to the point where I was able to finish a Star Wolf battle in seconds with a few well-placed charge shots, and dodging shots is literally just a matter of pressing L or R twice as they come towards you (or simply strafing while in the walker).

jahasaja

Added both to the OP! This is cool, thanks!

Well? What does that mean? That means you figure out if what the good reviews tell you sounds interesting and if what the bad reviews tell you sounds off-putting and then split the difference. Don't wait for review consensus to make decisions for you.

Well here in Sweden a SNES mini cost like 200 dollars so you know I just wanted some more impressions. It is a usually not so hyperbolic scores on either spectrum.

However I did like starfox 0..

TheMoon

I don't know where IGN and GI are coming from because there's nothing "unplayable" about the framerate. Aiming is tough at first but put the effort in and you start to get good enough to the point where I was able to finish a Star Wolf battle in seconds with a few well-placed charge shots, and dodging shots is literally just a matter of pressing L or R twice as they come towards you (or simply strafing while in the walker).

It's weird since Sam Claiborn is usually always in a retro-headspace but maybe it's hugely nostalgia colored and SF2 having none of that due to being legit new puts him off. There's nothing making it any less playable and enjoyable than OG Star Fox in terms of performance or controls so those complaints don't hold any water. If one can stomach Star Fox, one can stomach Star Fox 2.

Well here in Sweden a SNES mini cost like 200 dollars so you know I just wanted some more impressions. It is a usually not so hyperbolic scores on either spectrum.

However I did like starfox 0..

Are these impressions from us here and the reviews not enough to form a decision, though? Are you interested despite the complaints (with actual reasoning behind them, not just the "bad game" dude in post 3). If you liked SFZ, that means you're already open to giving games a shot beyond what throws flip-floppy players off quickly.

jahasaja

Sorry, I feel like I derailing the thread with my purchase decisions. My main point was just to get an answer to the question if the ship is fun to control.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

Thank you, my enjoyment of the game will increase tenfold now.

I keep reading the thread's subtitle as "the battle for the Camera" and it makes me chuckle because the YouTube footage I've seen of this game seems to suggest that your ship may block line of sight quite a bit.

Is that my perception from from the random bits of footage I've seen or is it an actual problem in this game?

noquarter

Love it, 15 year old me would have loved it.

I think this might be my favorite Star Fox game. The decision to turn the overworld into a strategy lite game works so well and adds an element of randomness that keeps the game fresh. First game I played I died in a dogfight and my partner died in the asteroid field. Next game handily beat it without letting Corneria get hit and Fox had his blaster upgraded. Part of this was my improving, but also part of it was the way the levels were split.

The dogfights are pretty cool and add something that Star Fox 1 really needed, a way to make Androsses guys feel real. The Mirage Dragon is kind of cool, but I hope it is harder in the harder difficulties.

The controls are Star Fox. The Arwings feel heavy, they don't feel like they can turn on a dime. The walking controls are pretty good for not having dual sticks, with L and R rotating and Left and Right strafing. Switching between the two modes is required to get all the medals, but the animation is kind of an eyesore.

Really glad the game got a release.

Not only I'm very excited to play it as I hope it to have good feedback for Nintendo to release new versions of the series on Switch. With Star Fox 2, Nintendo finally brings back the real spirit of the Star Fox franchise after so many failed attempts and experiments, mostly running away from it's original formula or being a cheap experiment for a gimmick tech, and I hope, with this, Nintendo devs finally realise the direction it needs to go further on and make a BOTW, Odyssey, FE: Awakening like evolution of the series.

TheMoon

I keep reading the thread's subtitle as "the battle for the Camera" and it makes me chuckle because the YouTube footage I've seen of this game seems to suggest that your ship may block line of sight quite a bit.

Is that my perception from from the random bits of footage I've seen or is it an actual problem in this game?

Never had a line-of-sight problem.

TheMoon

Not only I'm very excited to play it as I hope it to have good feedback for Nintendo to release new versions of the series on Switch. With Star Fox 2, Nintendo finally brings back the real spirit of the Star Fox franchise after so many failed attempts and experiments, mostly running away from it's original formula or being a cheap experiment for a gimmick tech, and I hope, with this, Nintendo devs finally realise the direction it needs to go further on and make a BOTW, Odyssey, FE: Awakening like evolution of the series.

But SF2 is literally the series' Zelda2, SMB2, FE Gaiden moment of straying from the first game's blueprint going nuts with a new idea. What you're throwing at the other games is literally what this game is and how the series started in the first place. New tech + experiments.

Toxi

Banned
I'm not getting a SNES mini, but the development of this game is so fascinating. Thanks Moon for including so much info about it in the OP.

But SF2 is literally the series' Zelda2, SMB2, FE Gaiden moment of straying from the first game's blueprint going nuts with a new idea. What you're throwing at the other games is literally what this game is and how the series started in the first place. New tech + experiments.

No, it isn't. Sure, SF2 really does feels different from SF1 and SF64, but isn't as derailing to it's original formula like becoming a Zelda-clone or adding 3rd-person shooter gameplay on foot missions which were poorly received by both reviews and gamers. The tech I was talking about was the highly disapproved SF0's motion control gameplay that Miyamoto took emphasis to build it on it.

Yeah, SF2 does feels different, but in a right way. No secret, despite being unreleased for so many years, it was an inspiration for the series later versions and many of it's features were used on them.

Just went through Hard and I gotta say, anyone who only played Normal once and called it a day didn't get the true experience. It's the equivalent of playing one route in Star Fox 64. Heck, you don't even get to see Andross's true form until Expert Mode.

That's super awesome. Is that per-run? Or cumulative?

TheMoon

Dylan Cuthbert and Baiyon (Q-Games) on Dev Plays with Star Fox

Dylan Cuthbert and Baiyon (Q-Games) on Dev Plays with X (Game Boy)

added to the OP.

wish they'd do a stream for SF2 as well.

kunonabi

Conceptually I really dig Star Fox 2 but the hardware just isn't up for it and i would not have been happy paying full price for it back in the day. Its great that they brought back some elements for Zero and improved on them. Its a shame they didn't bring over the strategic stuff though as that would have been great with the second screen as another mode on the guard disc.

TheMoon

Conceptually I really dig Star Fox 2 but the hardware just isn't up for it and i would not have been happy paying full price for it back in the day. Its great that they brought back some elements for Zero and improved on them. Its a shame they didn't bring over the strategic stuff though as that would have been great with the second screen as another mode on the guard disc.

That other part was already used in Star Fox Command. (Not saying that prevents it from being used again, of course)

Top Bottom