• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Patchwork Heroes (PSP) for release in the US

duckroll

Thanks goes to ULTROS!

ULTROS! said:
Can't post a thread since I'm a Junior. :(

100 million ton Bara Bara is getting a stateside release:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/announcing-patchwork-heroes-for-psp/

Game is called Patchwork Heroes

God I'm so excited :D :D :D :D

FUCK YEAH! There's going to be a demo out today in Japan too! Can't wait! :D

Edit: Adding some screens:

4289132873_128a03a382.jpg

4289408642_d7b4c3093a.jpg

4288665953_539c08a054.jpg

4289408394_74511034be.jpg

4288666271_fe676f4835.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wait, what exactly is this? Link blocked at work, and I don't recognize either name.

duckroll

Mejilan said:
Wait, what exactly is this? Link blocked at work, and I don't recognize either name.

It's a new action game from the Acquire and SCEI partnership that brought us Badman. It's basically a side view Qix-like action game where you hang on a giant airship which is the stage, and you either move around or try to cut the ship up and watch it fall apart. You have to rescue pirate friends and take out the entire ship to escape a stage, etc. Looks really fun and has really catchy music.

JWong

Banned
This is definitely a spin on those Japanese arcade games where you have some monster floating around and you attempt to cut blocks of the screen to win when you have a percentage of the screen cut off from the monster.

d+pad

Oh, that's great news!

US PS blog suggests it'll be PSN-only, which kind of sucks. Oh, well, at least it's being localized -- and quickly!

Acosta

JWong said:
This is definitely a spin on those Japanese arcade games where you have some monster floating around and you attempt to cut blocks of the screen to win when you have a percentage of the screen cut off from the monster.

The name you are looking for is Qix.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
duckroll said:
It's a new action game from the Acquire and SCEI partnership that brought us Badman. It's basically a side view Qix-like action game where you hang on a giant airship which is the stage, and you either move around or try to cut the ship up and watch it fall apart. You have to rescue pirate friends and take out the entire ship to escape a stage, etc. Looks really fun and has really catchy music.

Thanks much for the write-up. Can't say it sounds all that interesting, but I will check out the trailer when I get home. :)

Glad this caught your eye duckroll, its had very little exposure on GAF! New name is weird, kinda liked the quirky japanese title of "Chopping down 100 Million Tons" :lol , but hey, game looks effin' awesome!

KtSlime

Looking forward to it, but what's up with the title? I'd call it "Million tons of destruction!" Or something along those lines, extreme localization of titles is annoying.

JWong

Banned
Acosta said:
The name you are looking for is Qix.
Wow, that's what they are called?

Oh, I guess they're just using the first game to name the genre. Like saying Shatter is in the genre of Breakout/Arknoid.

Acosta

JWong said:
Wow, that's what they are called?

Well, no, that is the name of the original game by Taito. When it reached popularity, the formula was just ripped off for other arcades to the point nobody remembered the original.

As funny note, almost all the Qix ripoffs I have seen had an image of a girl you had to "undress" by completing stages.

CamHostage

duckroll said:

I thought it was important to mention, because I was confused about how this game would be difficult if you're just cutting away sections of the ship, that there are also people on the ship that need saving. I'm not sure what other difficulty balance methods there are besides attack cannons and people to save, but you can't just go chopping the ship in half right away, your crew will have to explore the ships you land on a bit and figure out the best and quickest way to destroy them. People compare it to Qix and I didn't get what would be hard about this game until I realized that the ship's cannot just be sawed up recklessly.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
I played the game at Jump Festa. It was a total blast! Definitely download the Japanese demo today.

Did you get to play Last Ranker at Jump Festa by any chance? I can't find any demo impressions at all on the game. :(

well no, I didn't discover the US announcement, I was just annoyed no-one on GAF knew it existed. duckroll endorsement will change this though!

Heres to hoping I can't play the demo and hit the CFW thread drunk and beligerant later!!

falconzss

last week i was wondering if this title would see the light of day outside japan and now they announced it for NA. i like that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the demo off the PSN.

Gameplay is simple: You cut up the ship, you bomb the parts of the ship and monsters, you avoid the bullets and monsters, and you save people (they're like your life points and bomb handlers). It was fun and I strangely got addicted to the game. The whole presentation is fantastic and cute.

Overall: Day one!

duckroll

I just beat the demo. It's pretty fun and actually rather challenging. I had to do the final mission a few times before I beat it. The music's really addictive, and it's definitely nice to have another quirky but original action arcade game on the horizon. I like how everyone you rescue has a name and age, and apparently if they survive a mission they populate the city or something, and if they die there'll be a gravestone in the cemetery. :lol

Top Bottom