• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Patchwork Heroes (PSP) for release in the US

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am very happy for this news, the game looked great and I didn't think it really had a shot at being localized.

That being said, I'm truly confused what Sony's strategy is with the PSP. In terms of third party support, they've always gone for top tier console franchises getting a slightly-downgraded experience on the PSP. GTA. Metal Gear Solid. Resident Evil. Assassin's Creed. Army of Two... and we know that many of these games are a direct result of Sony going hat in hand to publishers and saying "We do not want you to leave the PSP and we want to work with you to get your IP here." So, that's how they want people to see their machine.

But in terms of first party stuff, Sony's two biggest investments on the PSP have been Patapon and LocoRoco, both quirky, out-there, low-fi, experimental games, which I think conventional wisdom would say are more at home on competitor's platforms, but that I'm very glad Sony made. Of course, further throwing a conundrum here is that SCEA passed on Badman. Same developer. Same wacky feel to it.

Oh well, no sense overthinking it, I'd love to hear impressions of the demo and it's great to hear SCEA announcing a first-party PSP release I'm interested in.

duckroll

I think there's a very obvious reason why SCEA would pick this up even though they passed on Badman. Badman is much much more niche. It's basically the exact sort of stuff you expect Atlus and N1 to go after because of the injokes and references to Japanese pop culture, anime, RPGs, etc. The retro-style graphics and RPG theme (even though it's a puzzle game) makes it poised as the sort of title SCEA does not have much experience with marketing or publishing - probably the same reason they passed on Demons' Souls.

On the other hand, Patchwork Heroes is a straight action title, with arcade style scoring and tons of replay value. In terms of art direction and music it is also more attractive to a general audience and could easily hook casual gamers as well. It's the exact sort of stuff you mentioned with LocoRoco and Patapon in the sense that it's something which is very much pick up and play, and has no barrier to entry in the sense that it does not look like some retro-JRPG which might turn off people with no exposure to the genre.

Why are people surprised this got localised? Its clearly the next in line of LocoRoco > Patapon > Patchwork Heroes. Quirky bright artwork games with simple yet surprisingly deep gameplay and great music.

Stuck on the third Airship at the moment, game is awesome. Triangle activates some special super-cutting move when you have enough juice. Fuck you ship repairing robot lobsters!

Jonnyram

Yeah, the third mission is a significant step up in difficulty. I gave up after a few tries, but I will be back later.

duckroll

The third one took me a few tries too. It's not impossible though. What you should do is to try and clear out enemies which can move first (like the repair bot and spiders) and then use triangle to very quickly slice off a HUGE chunk of the map. Doing it piece by piece isn't as effective. Make sure you rescue people too, in case you need to bomb something. It takes more than one try to get familiar with the layout of the map since this is the biggest one yet, but once you know where the joints are, it's easier.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Bombs are very useful against repairbots that are repairing. :p

duckroll

I just beat the demo again, this time without dying on any of the 3 missions. The third mission is pretty easy once you know the trick to the game. Well positioned cuts over large amounts of area can break apart huge portions of the ship at a single go. :D

Making a small nick in the middle of a big chunk to attract Repair Lobsters and then chopping that chunk off is immensely satisfying :lol

The map of that giant fortress at the end of the demo is horrifying O__O

For those who have played the demo, what replay value incentive is there? High Scores? I don't know anything about the game, so I'm curious. I definitely have my eye on it.

mehdi_san

Just finished the demo too. I kept looking for a 100 man ton (...) thread because I didn't realize they already announced the localized title. The demo was really fun. At first I didn't use it, but the L and R buttons allows you to zoom out (very useful to check if there are prisonners in the part you're cutting) and to use a shield (when you get to close from one of the missile thing), so they're very useful.
They say at the end that there will be a story mode, a challenge mode with 50 ships to cut, and also a leveling system where screws are the experience points.
Can't wait to get the full version, day one :)

and yes you can try to go after the high scores. They give you a rank (5 stars system) at the end of each mission depending on how good you played :)

Top Bottom