• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Game Informer review scores

darkwings

Banned
sorry if old

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition – 9.5
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3/360) – 7.75
MLB 2K10 – 7.75
Just Cause 2 – 9
MAG – 7
God of War III – 10
MLB 10 The Show – 9.5
Endless Ocean: Blue World – 7.5
Calling – 4.5
Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll – 6
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom – 8.5
Napoleon Total War – 8.75
Supreme Commander 2 (PC) – 8
Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening – 7.75

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/34626/

darkwings

Banned
Animator said:
What is so amazing about the RE5 special edition? Were their scores as high for the original game as well?

I could be wrong, but isnt gold edition = they're back at the mansion again?

darkwings

Banned
Mush said:
Holy shit. Wasn't expecting this.

It's been 3 years in the making with a new engine. It is only Avalanche's 2nd game so I expected big things from this game.

credit to klocker:

Game Informer Review - 9

* Story weakest link.
* Virtually everything improved over the first.
* Even the most formulaic side missions are fun.
* No penalty for dying outside of missions and checkpoints are generous.
* Can call in a helicopter for extraction to cutdown on travel time.
* Attention to detail is unparalleled and makes open-world games that solely focus on urban environments feel downright mundane.
* 368 locations to discover and explore.
* Until you upgrade your weapons or get your hands on some heavy-duty firepower, the gunplay feels underwhelming.
* Difficulty later in the game borders on being frustrating.
* No multiplayer a disappointment.
* None of the issues diminish the countless memorable moments Just Cause 2 provides, born out of the spontaneous chaos the player creates while simply exploring the world.

Mush

darkwings said:
It's been 3 years in the making with a new engine. It is only Avalanche's 2nd game so I expected big things from this game.
credit to klocker:
* No multiplayer a disappointment.
Oh come on. Seriously? FFS, not every game with a gun needs multiplayer to justify the game's existence. Just look at Vanquish.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
darkwings said:
sorry if old

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition – 9.5
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3/360) – 7.75
MLB 2K10 – 7.75
Just Cause 2 – 9
MAG – 7
God of War III – 10
MLB 10 The Show – 9.5
Endless Ocean: Blue World – 7.5
Calling – 4.5
Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll – 6
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom – 8.5
Napoleon Total War – 8.75
Supreme Commander 2 (PC) – 8
Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening – 7.75

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/34626/

oh, here, let me translate to a 10-point scale like I did last month:

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition – 9
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3/360) – 6
MLB 2K10 – 6
Just Cause 2 – 9
MAG – 5
God of War III – 10
MLB 10 The Show – 9
Endless Ocean: Blue World – 6
Calling – 2
Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll – 4
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom – 8
Napoleon Total War – 8
Supreme Commander 2 (PC) – 7
Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening – 6

hopefully that crazy shit makes more sense now.

Zzoram

whatevermort said:
Interesting. They game Dragon Age a 9, apparently, so I wonder what's caused this slight fall from grace?

My bet is that it's short in content for $40 compared to the content in the original for $50. It's 80% of the cost, but probably ends up having 40% of the content.

Corto

Mush said:
Oh come on. Seriously? FFS, not every game with a gun needs multiplayer to justify the game's existence. Just look at Vanquish.

I totally agree with you, but just visit the Vanquish thread and you'll see that that was the most posted complaint against the game.

darkwings

Banned
Mush said:

well I agree. No multiplayer usually means more time spent on SP.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mush said:
Shouldn't that be an 8?
Requeim said:
shouldn't those be 10s? if they're 9.5 you round up

No. I'm not simply rounding to the nearest whole number. I'm reinterpreting what Game Informer means by these scores if they used the full 10-point scale instead of crowding most games into the 7.5 to 9.5 range.

If you'd like to see, this is my conversion table:

Actual score: Game Informer score range
10: 9.75 - 10
9: 9 - 9.5
8: 8.5 - 8.75
7: 8 - 8.25
6: 7.25 - 7.75
5: 6.5 - 7
4: 5.75 - 6.25
3: 4.75 - 5.5
2: 3 - 4.5
1: 1 - 2.75

Mush said:

At least co-op.

Every game like that should have it. And having played Crackdown, I need it xD

Though I haven't tried the demo yet, so maybe I'm wrong.

Mush

Danthrax said:
No. I'm not simply rounding to the nearest whole number. I'm reinterpreting what Game Informer means by these scores if they used the full 10-point scale instead of crowding most games into the 7.5 to 9.5 range.

If you'd like to see, this is my conversion table:

Actual score: Game Informer score range
10: 9.75 - 10
9: 9 - 9.5
8: 8.5 - 8.75
7: 8 - 8.25
6: 7.25 - 7.75
5: 6.5 - 7
4: 5.75 - 6.25
3: 4.75 - 5.5
2: 3 - 4.5
1: 1 - 2.75
So basically you're using Edge's system? :p

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Judging by the Awakenings score I'm going to guess fears that the game is only 10-15 hours long are justified. I'm not paying $40 for 10 hrs of content, I'll wait till it bombs for $19.99 or less.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Mush said:
I was a little disappointed to hear the game lacked any form of multiplayer, just imagine all the crazy shit you could do in co-op. Not that it's going to stop me from buying the game however.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
truly101 said:
Judging by the Awakenings score I'm going to guess fears that the game is only 10-15 hours long are justified. I'm not paying $40 for 10 hrs of content, I'll wait till it bombs for $19.99 or less.

See, I like to use the "price of a movie ticket" yard stick to judge the value of a video game; that is, $5 per hour of entertainment. ($10 movie ticket to see a two-hour movie.)

So a 10-hour game is worth $50, IMO.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
ICallItFutile said:
I'm really get tired of 'no multiplayer is disappointing' bullshit. Not every game needs it so stop whining.

Yes, not every game needs it but when one of their other complaints is a weak story then maybe it would have been a nice addition. :lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Danthrax said:
See, I like to use the "price of a movie ticket" yard stick to judge the value of a video game; that is, $5 per hour of entertainment. ($10 movie ticket to see a two-hour movie.)

Please don't do this to Rock Band, it might give Harmonix/EA/MTVGames ideas

I have over 300 hours sunk into that thing

WrikaWrek

Banned
Danthrax said:

The problem is, the comparison doesn't hold up. In a game like God Of War, Call of Duty, whatever you can argue that yes, so much happens in each hour that you can compare it to movies in that way.

But in a game like Dragon Age, you can spend one hour going from one part of the dungeon to the other. So it's still one hour, but a movie will probably give you much more content in that one hour.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Not a Jellyfish said:
Yes, not every game needs it but when one of their other complaints is a weak story then maybe it would have been a nice addition. :lol
I don't see that as good compensation. More content and solid mechanics are more vital for quality then throwing in co-op for a game not intended for it (Fable 2).

Danthrax said:
Basically, yeah! You've got to admit, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than whatever GI is doing.

Seeing how Edge makes no sense with their scores and tells people to read the reviews and not the scores.....

maeh2k

Of course, not every game needs a multiplayer component and often the addition of multiplayer is really pointless (e.g. bioshock 2)

However, having played Crackdown, I really do think that this omission is disappointing. In an open world sandbox game that doesn't focus on story coop is just a lot more fun.
After playing Crackdown in coop I never went back to standard single player.

Because of this, Just Cause 2 is not a must-have game for me, since I have too many games to play, anyway. I'll rather wait for Crackdown 2 to get my sandbox fix.

Still hope JC2 will sell well, since it looks like a really polished product.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
ICallItFutile said:
I don't see that as good compensation. More content and solid mechanics are more vital for quality then throwing in co-op for a game not intended for it (Fable 2).

More content and solid mechanics are indeed vital but when the story aspect of a single player only venture is a weak point you have to start looking at what drives in the audience. I am sorry but I am over "sandbox" games and have been for a while. They get old real fast, but let me do some of those thing with a friend or several of them and maybe the game would gain some more attention (Fable 2 wasn't a very good example to use, IMO. Completely different gaming genre and it wasn't that the co-op was not intended for it but rather it was poorly implemented.)

All in all though I am surprised to see Just Cause 2 get a 9 though, will wait for Edge review instead. :D

HiResDes

BattleMonkey said:
Seeing how Edge makes no sense with their scores and tells people to read the reviews and not the scores.....
That philosophy in general is better IMO, but it is based on the false assumption that people actually read reviews nowadays.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
As much fun as I had with Just Cause 2, I wasn't expecting a 9. Just felt like a game that wouldn't get the love it seems to deserve. Hope the praise continues.

Top Bottom