• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

By the way, who here is sold on 3D on a handheld. I mean on consoles it can make it seem as if you are part of the world and increases immersion. I'm having trouble picturing that on a handheld. And touchscreen adds more interface options. That said Ninty does not do things arbitrarily.

Fourth Storm said:
Because it seems to be referring to the patent which was discovered not too long ago which seems to refer to stylus control unless the game uses a rumbling analog stick for attacks. Nintendo's direction seems to be pretty clear when you look at games like Phantom Hourglass. I don't think they're in any rush to put an analog stick on their handheld. Hell, Retro had to convince them to create the nunchuck.

http://www.brokemycontroller.com/co...t-may-tactile-feedback-felt-through-ds-stylus
Just because they patent something, doesn't mean it's going to make it into a product. If you look at my post, I just ask why couldn't it be. All the article says is 3D stick.

Dracos

Faxanadu said:
With is being 3-D and all, I wonder if you can use the sylus on the object in 3-d space. The camera detects it etc. Hmm....

Nintendo always talks about changing the hardware for concepts that directly relate to gameplay improvements. As good as just having a solid 3D image is for this handheld, it doesn't really add a new gameplay dimension.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ShockingAlberto said:
Magikarp-3.gif
I was being amused at his avatar while reading the page and your use of it had me rolling on the floor.

Faxanadu said:
With is being 3-D and all, I wonder if you can use the sylus on the object in 3-d space. The camera detects it etc. Hmm....

Or stick passive rfid chips in each end of the stylus, and triangulate the position and orientation of the stylus near the screen. Don't know if that would work.

rpmurphy

IAMBEEFLESS said:
Shut the fuck up. I'm extremely capable of reading and have read this statement many times. I read a similar statement when nintendo announced that the wii's graphics will make you say wow. I'm just trying to be cautiously optimistic is all. I don't want to hype myself up with rumors (that the handheld is comparable in power to the DSi)only to be disappointed.

I can read what the fuck the press release says and nintendo's definition of successor can have many interpretations. Is it rougly similar hardware with new functions? Is it new functions with boosted hardware--things like that. I mean the wii to gamecube jump was essentially the same hardware with motion controls.
Both external and internal hardware are going to have new or upgraded designs. Seems like a new handheld generation.

Agent X

ShockingAlberto said:
So, I don't want to get too system-warsy and hope to avoid responses of passion or stupidity, but how do you expect Sony to counter this?

The PSP's biggest asset is its graphics. Assuming a generational graphical bump for the PSP2 is unfeasible, do they just make a slight jump, or do something else entirely?

What would convince Capcom to put Monster Hunter P4 on the PSP2 instead of the 3DS?

I'm sure there will be some sort of graphical bump for PSP2 anyway, but I don't think that would be the main attraction.

A few months ago, I posted something here (and I wish I could find it now) saying that the main emphasis should not be the graphical prowess, but rather the communications functions. PSP2 (and 3DS, and any other next-generation handheld) would do well to have some sort of persistent connection to the Internet (like the Amazon Kindle), so that you could access PSN at any time instead of only while within Wi-Fi range. You could chat with a friend, have him invite you into a game, and (assuming you didn't already own the game) purchase the game and play it with him.

Sony's response is too damn funny... please tell me IGN just made it up... :lol

"I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he added. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."

There are layers upon layers of hilarity there :lol

plufim

Oh man, just had a thought. What if the stylus input has pressure sensitivity (like wacom tablets)? Then the touch can have a depth variable to it. That could have some amazing applications in a 3D space.

Note that the original DS itself actually has a small degree of touch sensitivity, but is not really used (there's a DS homebrew drawing app that takes advantage of this).

edit: oh man, that sony response is hilarious. Especially since they're trying to get move games for families that utilise 3D on the PS3.

ILikeFeet said:
we will. at E3.
What I need isn't information about the handheld, its information about that PDF, the reason why its the way it is, and why there hasn't been a more formal mass mailing of a real press release in the 24 hours that the mysterious PDF. we need those kinds of answers right away. We need to know what to make of this whole situation and whats going on.

Baki

Akainu said:
Aren't Sony already working on that anyway?

Yes.

But I don't think it will be widely supported on the PS3. Due to the install base of 3D TV's and the performance it knicks off games.

Next gen we will have the hardware and install base for 3D on all games.

Ashes

Banned
3d is promising. Although I'd love 3g -all the time internet- more.
Personally, the DS is the one place, nintendo really did rpg gaming a huge service. It's time other genres got as big a leg up. :D
On a separate note, its got to be able to play pokemon, easily enough. So the control layout will be a familiar one.

Baki said:
By the way, who here is sold on 3D on a handheld. I mean on consoles it can make it seem as if you are part of the world and increases immersion. I'm having trouble picturing that on a handheld. And touchscreen adds more interface options. That said Ninty does not do things arbitrarily.

Unless someone finds a way of bypassing the fact that i will have to spend a shitload of money to get a 3D enabled TV than 3D on home consoles means fuck all to me.

Having said that i'm not a fan of 3D anyway im much more excited to see what new software nintendo has.

Wow I didn't really expect this. I was hoping I would be able to wait until the price dropped or a new version came out, but this may make it harder to resist. I think this alone makes me really anticipate E3. I do worry about the potential size and price though, those are pretty important factors to me.

bmf said:
Just because they patent something, doesn't mean it's going to make it into a product. If you look at my post, I just ask why couldn't it be. All the article says is 3D stick.

Of course a patent doesn't guarantee implementation. My logic here is that Nikkei seem to be referring to the specific patent that I linked to especially since it refers to the vibration feature in the very same sentence. Although I have not waded through the endless amount of description in the patent myself, so you may be right. Or Nintendo could use both an analog stick and a force feedback stylus.

timetokill said:
Sony's response is too damn funny... please tell me IGN just made it up... :lol

"I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he added. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."

There are layers upon layers of hilarity there :lol

Did these words literally come out of somebody's mouth? I'm pretty goddamn sure that more than just 8 and 9 year olds play the fucking DS. Just when you think sony is done saying dumb shit....And this is nintendo's third fucking decade in the handheld business lol. I think they know what they are doing? PSP2 better be something else in order to back up this unfouded shit talk.

Mindlog

Deku said:
They probably have the PSPhone thing that was rumoured a while back ready to go.

Sony's problem with the handheld space is that they want a gadget, not a game device. Just look at the comments being made now, and their general hardware roadmap.

The company has a lot of proprietary formats like the UMD, the memory stick and the entire Columbia Tri-Star catalog, so the inertia to create a closed platform is great.

Then again, keep in mind the entire paradigm of DS2 and PSP2 just weeks ago was essentially the present to the nth power. The safe bet was DS2 with GC/Dreamcast style 3D based on Tegra 2 specs, and PSP2 having low end HD console quality visuals, based off rumours.

That's been entirely turned on its head again. We know now that Nintendo was off doing its thing again. So will Sony be doing the expected Death Star platform again? They've already done it twice.

What's with all the weird, "It's Tegra - It's not a Tegra" vacillating?

I'd like to see the tegra getting used. It's a nice little chip.
However if that's not the case.
I'm still seeing an ARM 9 based solution.
AMD doesn't have a compelling SoC offering.
Flipper is old as hell.
Completely baseless rumour said we'd be surprised by the chip.

confirmed: 3DS using TI OMAP 4 based SoC with a new flipper revision.

Tegra wiki :lol

Vizion28

Banned
With the 3D technology Nintendo is using will be possible to look behind a character by changing your perspective?

I can see a lot of innovative gameplay possibilites if it can be done.

Did most third parties even know about the 3D display prior to today? I'm guessing not, considering that there was no mention of it in the GDC rumors. :lol

Even if so, at least they were given more advance notice than with MotionPlus, and it probably won't be that hard to add support for the display in time for the E3 demos.

IAMBEEFLESS said:
Did these words literally come out of somebody's mouth? I'm pretty goddamn sure that more than just 8 and 9 year olds play the fucking DS. Just when you think sony is done saying dumb shit....And this is nintendo's third fucking decade in the handheld business lol. I think they know what they are doing? PSP2 better be something else in order to back up this unfouded shit talk.
You sure like fuck and shit a lot. :p

Mindlog said:
What's with all the weird, "It's Tegra - It's not a Tegra" vacillating?

I'd like to see the tegra getting used. It's a nice little chip.
However if that's not the case.
I'm still seeing an ARM 9 based solution.
AMD doesn't have a compelling SoC offering.
Flipper is old as hell.
Completely baseless rumour said we'd be surprised by the chip.

confirmed: 3DS using TI OMAP 4 based SoC with a new flipper revision.

Tegra wiki :lol

I think that nintendo will use tegra IP ... not the chip itself

Dogenzaka

Banned
IAMBEEFLESS said:

Or you could look at it another way, that he was just being matter-of-fact that Nintendo's 8-9 year-old-audience might not put 3D gaming as a priority (which is in fact an audience of Nintendo's)

I just don't agree with that, though. You tell any kid about 3D, even if it sucks, and it's "WOWWWWWW COOOOOOOL"

I also have significant problems with Sony's "research" since their "research" declared Backwards Compatibility was not important for the PS3.

Deku

Banned
TOKYO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Nintendo Co. /quotes/comstock/!7974 (JP:7974 27,970, +70.00, +0.25%) /quotes/comstock/11i!ntdof (NTDOF 316.50, +12.84, +4.23%) soared 10.1% in Tokyo trading Wednesday morning, after the company said late Tuesday that it will launch a DS handheld-game console that allows players to use three-dimensional games without wearing special glasses. The model will be relealsed sometime in the new business year, which begins in April. Shares of rival game-console maker Sony Corp. /quotes/comstock/13*!sne/quotes/nls/sne (SNE 40.44, +1.60, +4.12%) /quotes/comstock/!6758 (JP:6758 3,645, +125.00, +3.55%) slipped 0.8%, while the Nikkei 225 Stock Average was up 0.9%.

Investors like it. But that's not a surprise. They're sheep and usually react positively to new product from the market leader

Tamanon

Banned
Not really seeing much appeal in the 3D aspects, but hey, gives Nintendo another system for people to replace their DSi with.

KevinCow

Banned
Vizion28 said:
With the 3D technology Nintendo is using will be possible to look behind a character by changing your perspective?

You mean, will you be able to move your head in the real world to look around stuff in the game? No.

Vizion28 said:

Unfortunately, we don't know for sure what 3D method they're using.

It's a cool idea, and I think it could be done with something like the head-tracking in that DSiWare game.

ILikeFeet

Banned
AzureNightmare said:
What I need isn't information about the handheld, its information about that PDF, the reason why its the way it is, and why there hasn't been a more formal mass mailing of a real press release in the 24 hours that the mysterious PDF. we need those kinds of answers right away. We need to know what to make of this whole situation and whats going on.

well, I wouldn't say NOA and NOE don't know, but I think this is all NCL will allow to be released at this point. that would make contacting NoA and NoE rather pointless. so I guess Nintendo is being typical Nintendo.

spwolf

Baki said:

everyone... it is going to be so much better than on console, and you will not have to wear dorky glasses.

This thread proves one thing - we are all brothers and sisters here.

rpmurphy

UltimateIke said:
Unfortunately, we don't know for sure what 3D method they're using.

It's a cool idea, and I think it could be done with something like the head-tracking in that DSiWare game.
If they can do that without headtracking even better. Imagine someone beside you looking at the game and they can see the game from a different perspective.

Vizion28

Banned
KevinCow said:
You mean, will you be able to move your head in the real world to look around stuff in the game? No.

I mean, say a video game like Super Mario Bros., can a person change their perspective to see the other side of Mario, even if it is just a little?

Totally unexpected news.... but only Nintendo could do this. Announcing it now I guess is a good move, since it will give people a month or so to speculate about E3. Also for those buying an iPad for any kind of gaming purpose... you may want to wait.

Ranger X

Vizion28 said:
I mean, say a video game like Super Mario Bros., can a person change their perspective to see the other side of Mario, even if it is just a little?

This would happen only if the game is having a camera that can do so.
Stereoscopic imagery doesn't suddenly makes it a 3D image in the air that can play with...

Stereoscopic Mario is really simple to understand. You know those planes of background that scrolls slower giving you the impression they are further in the back, at a distance?
Well, now image that you would TRULY see them in the distance.

Fourth Storm said:
Of course a patent doesn't guarantee implementation. My logic here is that Nikkei seem to be referring to the specific patent that I linked to especially since it refers to the vibration feature in the very same sentence. Although I have not waded through the endless amount of description in the patent myself, so you may be right. Or Nintendo could use both an analog stick and a force feedback stylus.
Yep. I can go with that. It's mostly that I like the idea of a proper analog stick on well supported handheld console. A super-awesome stylus would be super-awesome, but given how little I use the stylus on my DSL, I'm not sure that it would be nearly as useful of an addition as an analog stick would be.

bmf said:
Yep. I can go with that. It's mostly that I like the idea of a proper analog stick on well supported handheld console. A super-awesome stylus would be super-awesome, but given how little I use the stylus on my DSL, I'm not sure that it would be nearly as useful of an addition as an analog stick would be.

Who really knows at this point? I couldn't help but speculate about this all day, though. I just wonder how useful an analog stick really is when Super Mario 64 DS was entirely playable with the dpad. What shocks me most is that after all this time, there are still games that use the analog stick for movement while requiring you to hold a button to run!

Dogenzaka

Banned
IAMBEEFLESS said:
Did i fucking say this? I hardly think a gamecube in a handheld is asking for much in 2010 when the psp was basically a ps1.5 in 2004. I'm not expecting them to push the graphical envelope in any way. I don't want HD screens either. All i want is the 3D shit, accelerometer and all the other bells and whistles in addition to gamecube level performance. Though nintendo has indicated that this is the sucessor to the DS series, i am not sure if its definition of successor is what my definition of succesor would be. When i mean successor i mean an increase in performance in every possible way. The wii is the gamecube's successor but its processing power is essentially the same.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that i don't want to shell out 200bucks for what is essentially ds hardware with 3d capabilities:lol

Well, use your head.

The new system will have an accelerometer, 3D-capabilities, graphics nearly as powerful as the GameCube, and backwards compatibility with DS games. What do YOU think it is? A revision or a successor?

Be real.

Some kind of force feedback stylus that detects how far away it is from the screen (allowing you to "feel" things based on their depth) would be awesome. Rotate a "floating" object around with the stylus.

But that's a definite pipe-dream. 3D, motion controls, and force feedback in the unit itself are expensive enough.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Dogenzaka said:
Well, use your head.

The new DSi system will have two cameras, exclusive downloadable games, more powerful hardware than what the DS had, and backwards compatibility with DS games. What do YOU think it is? A revision or a successor?

Be real.
Yeah you tell 'em

EmCeeGramr said:
Some kind of force feedback stylus that detects how far away it is from the screen (allowing you to "feel" things based on their depth) would be awesome. Rotate a "floating" object around with the stylus.

But that's a definite pipe-dream. 3D, motion controls, and force feedback in the unit itself are expensive enough.
Examining evidence in Ace Attorney would be so badass if something like this was possible

Surgeon Rocket said:
Yeah you tell 'em
Uh, no. Those features are definitely revision material. Especially since Nintendo called it a revision.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Examining evidence in Ace Attorney would be so badass if something like this was possible

That's actually what I was thinking of I thought it up. :lol

Also, the question of 3D on the touchscreen. When you first saw a picture in a magazine or something with old red/blue glasses, you might have tried to touch it. Then you would have had the odd visual sensation of your finger passing through the object's "space" yet clearly being still in front of it. I wonder if that'll be present here too, or if this 3D is different than anaglyph in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom