• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducarmel

This is why i still have not bought an hand held from Nintendo since the advance. I just feel like I will get screwed because a new better version is going to come out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
DeaconKnowledge said:
NINTENDO DID NOT MAKE THE GODDAMN POWER GLOVE OR THE POWER PAD AUGHAHAHAGA
Well, they did manufacture the power pad in North America.

Would you guys willing to trade battery life for Gamecube disc compatibility?
Nah, to many problems to pose. I'll take my carts with a decent slew of gamecube ports.

gkryhewy

Ducarmel said:
This is why i still have not bought an hand held from Nintendo since the advance. I just feel like I will get screwed because a new better version is going to come out.

Congratulations, you missed out on the best portable library of all time.

swerve

Ducarmel said:

Wut? You could have bought a DS in 2004 and been able to play new DS games today.

In fact, you could have confidently bought any version and been still been supported today and likely right through 2011.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ShockingAlberto said:
I really doubt this will be all "OH MY GOD MARIO IS REACHING FOR ME GASP" and more "Wow this thing looks like it has depth, cool."
This.

Ducarmel said:

Did this fear also stop you from buying a phone and computer? I have a new DSi lying around that I'm thinking of ebaying so I can afford an XL. Those large screens are sexy. Anyone want to make me an offer? :lol

Ducarmel said:

This is why I never bought any technology.

Holy shit. Looking for more stereoscopic stuff, I found this dude who made a bunch out of MRI images. 3D brains and spleens and stuff: http://voxel123.deviantart.com/

fake edit:

2zipwyt.gif

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Zozz said:
Maybe a bit better then PSP and iPhone like, but I highly doubt GC.

iPhone like this summer won't be 3GS speed. Expect another step up as both Power VR as well as other companies like Nvidia have gone another evolution in mobile graphics. Nvidia has already stated they think the Tegra 2 is 4 times as powerful as the Tegra 1, and Power VR is gonna have a similar bump with their new chips.

Barrett2

Ducarmel said:

I love the disconnect of someone being a member of an exclusive video game message board, yet being unwilling to spend a few hundred bucks once every few years in support of the hobby. :lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Ducarmel said:
Look, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but... you're a moron. Fortunately, there's things we can do from here to undo it. It'll be okay.

cory

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I really doubt this will be all "OH MY GOD MARIO IS REACHING FOR ME GASP" and more "Wow this thing looks like it has depth, cool."
sm643ds62sy.png

For some reason the images get messed up when I upload, the levels are off.
Mario's nose is trying to sniff you!

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
compiling all the reliable info we have so far, this system should have:

- 2 screens (bc)
- at least 1 touch screen (bc)
- dpad (bc)
- buttons (bc)
- analogue stick
- possibly an accelerometer
- vibration
- microphone (bc)
- all signs are pointing to it having powerful, Gamecube-like specs
- 3D screens that don't require external assistance to experience
- 2 cameras (DSi bc)

this is just unreal. i'm starting to doubt most of the rumors about this thing so far. i just don't see how nintendo will be able to include all of this into a single system without it being massive in size or really expensive to produce.

It sounds fantastic but im just worried its going to be in the same situation as the wii where you have some great games but like 90% shovelware and gimmick games.

Anticitizen One said:
It sounds fantastic but im just worried its going to be in the same situation as the wii where you have some great games but like 90% shovelware and gimmick games.
It seems more likely to follow in the footsteps of the DS, right? Tons of crap, but also tons of amazingness.

Mr.Wuggles said:
compiling all the reliable info we have so far, this system should have:

- 2 screens (bc)
- at least 1 touch screen (bc)
- dpad (bc)
- buttons (bc)
- analogue stick
- possibly an accelerometer
- vibration
- microphone (bc)
- all signs are pointing to it having powerful, Gamecube-like specs
- 3D screens that don't require external assistance to experience
- 2 cameras (DSi bc)

this is just unreal. i'm starting to doubt most of the rumors about this thing so far. i just don't see how nintendo will be able to include all of this into a single system without it being massive in size or really expensive to produce.

It would be terrible, but I think an analogue stick could function as a D-Pad of sorts.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
mysticwhip said:
How does 2D without glasses work besides with stereoscopic images?
2D works via magic. In fact, I am using it right now, AMAZING!

Am I the only one disappointed with the new DS being in 3D?
I just wanted a DS with Game Cube graphics.
I know, god damn thouse people at Nintendo, Giving us both Game Cube graphics AND 3D. The thoughtless assholes, just trying to up the price with a useless gimmick! And I bet you they release a revision too within the first 2 years.

mmxzero

EmCeeGramr said:
polyhedron
Wow I can actually get this one to work for me!

Anyway, really looking forward a DS successor. Excited to see what Nintendo has come up with, especially Nintendo's handheld analog stock solution.

I'm really glad it will likely retain its dual screens, as I cant stand when a company goes backwards and takes away functionality. I'm excited for 3D, but I want the new ds to be able to do everything the old system does and more. Looks like its going to be that way.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ecstatic said:
Am I the only one disappointed with the new DS being in 3D?

"Hey guys, is anybody else upset that they're actually putting out something that will probably be able to do exactly what I WANT but with 3D capabilities as well?"

Plinko said:
"Hey guys, is anybody else upset that they're actually putting out something that will probably be able to do exactly what I WANT but with 3D capabilities as well?"

srsly

And I still can't believe this was announced today.
It was just kind of surreal going through my day speculating what this would look like and everything about it.

ShockingAlberto said:
A Nintendo game with depth??? Truly reason to get excited.

I don't get where this "They said the DS could do n64 graphics but look at how they failed" attitude is coming from. I think DS 3D looks a hell of a lot better than n64 3D.

Ducarmel said:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/03/23/nintendo.3d/index.html?hpt=C2

The 3-D entertainment craze continues to spread to video games. Nintendo announced Tuesday it will introduce a handheld console that plays games in 3-D without the use of special glasses.

The handheld device will be called the 3DS, succeeding Nintendo's DS series of portable gaming consoles. A brief press release issued by Nintendo did not specifically state how the 3-D effect would work on the device.

The console won't go on sale until June at the earliest. Nintendo said it will announce more details at the E3 trade show, to be held June 15-17 in Los Angeles, California.

Tuesday's announcement marks a new direction for the Japanese-based company, which had previously been dismissive of 3-D gaming. Earlier this year, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said, ''I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?"

The new 3DS device is expected to be backwards compatible, allowing it to play DS and DSi games. The 3DS name itself is a temporary name until the official name is revealed at the E3 convention.

Gaming blogs were buzzing Tuesday with speculation about how Nintendo will achieve the 3-D affect without specialized glasses.

Kotaku suggests that it may work similarly to a Japan-only game called "3D Hidden Puzzle," which uses the DSi's camera to track the movement of the player and adjust the image accordingly to make it appear 3-D.

Nintendo said the 3DS will go on sale before the company's next fiscal year ends, on March 31, 2011.

Earlier this year, Sony announced a software improvement that will allow 3-D gaming on its PlayStation 3 console. And some game developers are working on techniques to show their games in 3-D on Microsoft's Xbox 360 device and on PCs. All those systems will require the use of special glasses to achieve the 3-D effect.

Pistolero

It makes me a bit jealous to see everybody's reaction to a feature I'll probably not be able to enjoy because of a sight deficiency...BASTARDS!
In any case, it's fascinating to see Nintendo not losing track of what made them so popular: being innovative and daring, although one could argue their initiatives are better suited to handhelds... (their efforts seems so fluid and logical in that department)…

I hope you can download your game on an SD card. Lets dump cartridges and discs altogether. It would be sooooooo nice to have larger games and I wouldn't mind buying SD cards to hold all my games.

Kotaku suggests that it may work similarly to a Japan-only game called "3D Hidden Puzzle," which uses the DSi's camera to track the movement of the player and adjust the image accordingly to make it appear 3-D.

wink

seady

Ducarmel said:

If there is any system out there that needs a successor, DS would be it.
I am sure the computer you are typing this message has been updated less than a month since you bought it.

seady

Pistolero said:
It makes me a bit jealous to see everybody's reaction to a feature I'll probably not be able to enjoy because of a sight deficiency...BASTARDS!
In any case, it's fascinating to see Nintendo not losing track of what made them so popular: being innovative and daring, although one could argue their initiatives are better suited to handhelds... (their efforts seems so fluid and logical in that department)…

You can't read 3D images?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
EmCeeGramr said:

If true, massive fail by Nintendo.

If it's just Kotaku being Kotaku, well, that's expected.

I'll throw in my rampant speculation and say that the stylus will be pressure sensitive, like a wacom tablet stylus. :lol :D

...I'm serious. That isn't too hard to imagine.

For those that don't know what I am referring to, the nubs on wacom digital art tablets sink in when you press them registering how hard or soft you press.

wacom_intuos4_3.jpg

coupled with the rumble, that would be... pretty cool!!

mclem

Threi said:
ugh i tried and i just can't cross my eyes far enough.

I did see a little of the "3D" effect in the jumbled mess though.

*edit*

what's with all the jiggling pictures...

I'll admit, I hate the cross-eyed version; it strains the eyes and then you've got to hold that position for longer than I'd like to actually allow it to come into focus. Parallel viewing is much more comfortable for me, and after much training with Magic Eye books back in the day, I'm able to switch focus as required instantly with no eyestrain.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
vagabondarts said:
I'll throw in my rampant speculation and say that the stylus will be pressure sensitive, like a wacom tablet stylus. :lol :D

...I'm serious. That isn't too hard to imagine.

For those that don't know what I am referring to, the nubs on wacom digital art tablets sink in when you press them registering how hard or soft you press.

wacom_intuos4_3.jpg

coupled with the rumble, that would be... pretty cool!!

My speculation: $$$
I wish I had NTDOY.PK stock :(

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
just thought of something. if what nikkei says is true, this system might have not one, but two analogue sticks.

the ds is substantially different from other handhelds in that it needs to be ergonomically friendly for both left handed and right handed people by being completely symmetrical. many games on the ds use both the touch screen and buttons simultaneously, requiring that you hold the ds with one hand and the stylus with the other. for left handed people, there's usually an option to have the 4 face buttons simulate a dpad.

without the fluff: a system like the ds is almost required to be perfectly symmetrical in order to be playable by both right and left handed people. if it has analogue, i wouldn't be surprised to see one analogue stick for each side of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom