• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deku said:
'keep the party-line' -wtf does that even mean

Relating to Politics and how when shit goes down they circle the wagons and protect their own. ex. Republican Health Care talking points, or Democratic for that matter. Cammie Dunaway on a balance board comes to mind, or the embarassing Miyamoto on a Wiimote with Wiimusic.

cory

Banned
I fixed it, it had minor alignment issues before:
sm643ds.jpg

mclem

Kaijima said:
About this kind of 3D affecting gameplay:

What about a 3D platformer where by moving the system around or moving your head around, you can get the precise view you want for lining up jumps without fiddling with a camera system?

It's important to bear in mind that the fake-3D game on DSiWare only ever *rotates* the camera around a fixed origin, it never *moves* it. That's an important distinction; in any 3D platformer situation where you want to line up a jump, you need to *move* the camera as it works around an origin centred on the player character. The intuitive movement for that would be moving your entire body in a circle around a fixed point situated behind the 3DS's screens... which would be, well, weird.

Ten-Song

Deku said:
'keep the party-line' -wtf does that even mean

Says it relates to how Nintendo usually puts stuff out only when the tech is affordable to produce, so they can keep their products priced with a low barrier to entry.

Some of the stuff written there is stupidly obvious though. "Involve Miyamoto." No shit, really? I thought they'd keep him out of the loop on this, what with those crazy flops he's responsible for like Mario and Wii Sports.

I have a theory about Pokemon 5th gen.

Nintendo could release the game on the ds and 3ds like zelda TP.

Pokemon is really prefect to show how the 3-d will work. It's simple but seeing the attacks of the pokemons coming at you in 3d must be awesome. With the retro compatibility you could also share pokemons without problem.

With this strategy, they got a great killer app at launch and could release the third installments of the 5th gen on 3ds in two years.

brain_stew said:
I don't see any reason at all tbh. You just need two cameras physically separated so that they can capture the image from two different angles. Then the auto stereoscopic display will combine the two views just as it will with game content. Having a cheap 3D camera and viewer is just such an obvious feature and something which no else on the market offers. That alone could potentially sell the device to me, who doesn't want to go out and snap a load of 3D images? Heck, no reason it couldn't record low resolution 3D video either. Fuuuuuuu, that'd be all kinds of awesome.
Alright, you got me right there. I'm in, and I'll pay extra.

AntMurda

That 1UP article made me cringe. What was even the point. They topped it off with "involve Miyamoto because he made pikmin (what?) and everything he touches turns to gold". Didn't the Game Boy, and Game Boy Advance do pretty well without a single "Miyamoto game".

cory

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
I dont' see it. But I think that Jurrasic Park gif is kickass. I'm looking forward to seeing how this tech develops.
Eh, I looked better in Photoshop. Still think my Mario Kart one's the best
mk3dstccl.jpg

Diffense

On the gimmick versus non-gimmick side-talk:

I can imagine that if the stylus is spatially aware and can relate the viewers illusion of depth to the point in 3D space they think they're seeing it would have an important immersive quality that goes beyond gimmick.
Imagine palying a puzzle game where you're dragging blocks in 3D and as you point the stylus in thin air at where you perceive the block to be it moves realistically.
If a simple thing like turning the Wiimote to open locks in Metroid Prime can add such a an element of being present in the world, melding such control with 3D would be quite groundbreaking IMO.

So 3D can be a cheap graphical trick or it can be a big step forward depending on how all the elements of control and gameplay are integrated to suspend disbelief.
If this 3DS is true 3D technology, and I'm skeptical for now, I think Nintendo will go further than mere graphics.
They have been experimenting with these concepts from before the technology was ready (Light Gun, Power Glove, Virtual Boy) so I think they are actually quite committed to VR as an ultimate goal.

brain_stew said:
I don't see any reason at all tbh. You just need two cameras physically separated so that they can capture the image from two different angles. Then the auto stereoscopic display will combine the two views just as it will with game content. Having a cheap 3D camera and viewer is just such an obvious feature and something which no else on the market offers. That alone could potentially sell the device to me, who doesn't want to go out and snap a load of 3D images? Heck, no reason it couldn't record low resolution 3D video either. Fuuuuuuu, that'd be all kinds of awesome.

That would be amazing. The only handheld I took with me daily was the Gameboy Micro, but if they do something like that in the 3DS, I'd pack that long.

wait, by 3D analog do they just mean a regular analog stick or one that can push in and pull out?

AniHawk

This is probably the first time news of a new Nintendo system has actually gotten a ton of "hardcore" gamers interested since pre-N64 days.

Also, if this is based off the GC and turns out to be a success, Nintendo sure will be getting its mileage out of that system. Kinda weird considering how poorly it did the first go.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Diffense said:
On the gimmick versus non-gimmick side-talk:

I can imagine that if the stylus is spatially aware and can relate the viewers illusion of depth to the point in 3D space they think they're seeing it would have an important immersive quality that goes beyond gimmick.
Imagine palying a puzzle game where you're dragging blocks in 3D and as you point the stylus in thin air at where you perceive the block to be it moves realistically.
If a simple thing like turning the Wiimote to open locks in Metroid Prime can add such a an element of being present in the world, melding such control with 3D would be quite groundbreaking IMO.

So 3D can be a cheap graphical trick or it can be a big step forward depending on how all the elements of control and gameplay are integrated to suspend disbelief.
If this 3DS is true 3D technology, and I'm skeptical for now, I think Nintendo will go further than mere graphics.
They have been experimenting with these concepts from before the technology was ready (Light Gun, Power Glove, Virtual Boy) so I think they are actually quite committed to VR as an ultimate goal.

gim·mick
   /ˈgɪmɪk/ Show Spelled[gim-ik] Show IPA
–noun
an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

I'm cool with that

mclem

Drkirby said:
Nope, no SMG2. It will already be out by then.

I suspect it'll still be at E3, though; there've been a few times that they've spent a bit of time talking about a game that's very recently out during the press conference.

3DS is a pretty clever name. Nintendo seems like they want to dominate this E3 as far as I can tell. A new handheld and Zelda already known in advance? I can only imagine that they have several more tricks up their sleeve.

AniHawk said:
This is probably the first time news of a new Nintendo system has actually gotten a ton of "hardcore" gamers interested since pre-N64 days.

Also, if this is based off the GC and turns out to be a success, Nintendo sure will be getting its mileage out of that system. Kinda weird considering how poorly it did the first go.

Well, it's it uses the Tegra 2 chip, it isn't really going to be based on the GC.
Regardless, Nintendo is never one to waste anything if they don't have to.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
3DS is a pretty clever name. Nintendo seems like they want to dominate this E3 as far as I can tell. A new handheld and Zelda already known in advance? I can only imagine that they have several more tricks up their sleeve.

I have no idea how it'll fit into one hour, though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
celebi23 said:
Couldn't find any information about that behind-closed-doors E3 (2002/2003/2004, can't remember which one) GameCube 3D Demo (I do remember hearing about it though). What I did find was a quote from Iwata himself :D
There was a holographic display at one of the E3's in the early 2000's with Fox McCloud. I don't remember much about it, but they were talking about 3D back then. This is probably the tech he was referring to.

abstract alien said:
Alright, you got me right there. I'm in, and I'll pay extra.

That alone would sell me on the device, I'm deadly serious. Its something they could add for cheap and would be a fantastic feature. Who the hell doesn't want a portable 3D video camera!? :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
The Awkward Wizard said:
And suddenly, next year seems much more awesome. My sister's gonna be PISSED though, she finally bought a DS after pressuring her for the last couple years :lol

Early adopters ftw

Combine

Banned
Heh, I still have the old clunker of the original DS. Never got the Lite or the i and was holding off. But I guess, now I have another reason to hold off even longer, lol :D

AniHawk

OrangeGrayBlue said:

I doubt it. It'll pretty much be info on their fall lineup (Zelda + Wii Relax + some other third thing), and probably the rest all about the 3DS, and upcoming games (including dev support), with the price, release date, and launch stuff being announced later.

SMS 3DS or SMG 3DS sound like they could be launch games. We might also see Retro make a launch game. These are just examples, it could also be something much better.

AceBandage said:
I have no idea how it'll fit into one hour, though.

Perhaps its a sign that they even have decent 3rd party showcases to rely on this year then, and aren't as concerned with secrecy?

And if no one responds to the above with a ":lol " I'll be disappointed.

Deku

Banned
AniHawk said:

closest we've come is a description of the power as comparable to GameCube level from a developer with a kit. And that's hearsay and not a direct posting from said developer.

The technology is most likely not the decades old flipper/dolphin chipset but the Tegra solution from nVidia. The ARM9 architecture also, i'm told at least, opens the way for full hardware BC for DS games.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I think of N-fans will now stop saying "it is about the gameplay not the graphics" and join the rest of us in saying "we want the best of both".

Eh, only if the games still look good.
It's not the graphics, it's the artstyle, honestly.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I think of N-fans will now stop saying "it is about the gameplay not the graphics" and join the rest of us in saying "we want the best of both".

agreed, just like we all came to a consensus on the importance of motion control

peace on earth

Deku said:
closest we've come is a description of the power a GameCube level from a developer with a kit. And that's hearsay and not a direct posting from said developer.

The technology is most likely not the decades old flipper/dolphin chipset but the Tegra solution from nVidia. The ARM9 architecture also, i'm told at least, opens the way for full hardware BC for DS games.

Well Im excited more because it could be gameboy graphics and not because of the 3D. I will never be satsified with 3D until it looks like what we see at Universal Studios Orlando Terminator Attraction, now thats EYE POPPING 3D

I'm not sold yet on 3D, but Sony's response is hilarious.

Even if the DS was only played by 8 and 9 year olds, like they claim, it's not like young people can't handle the technology. It's not a stylus, a Wiimote, or Natal. The kids just have to look at the damn thing.

Chris R

AceBandage said:
I would agree, but I think Nintendo isn't going to go that complex.
They still want to keep things simple, you know?
Let me fix this statement for you.

I would agree, but I think Nintendo isn't going to go that expensive. They still want to keep things cheap, you know?

Freezie KO said:
I'm not sold yet on 3D, but Sony's response is hilarious.

Even if the DS was only played by 8 and 9 year olds, like they claim, it's not like young people can't handle the technology. It's not a stylus, a Wiimote, or Natal. The kids just have to look at the damn thing.

I guess none of them had a Viewmaster growing up.

viewmaster.jpg

mclem

Graphics Horse said:
Or stick passive rfid chips in each end of the stylus, and triangulate the position and orientation of the stylus near the screen. Don't know if that would work.

Stylusses (Styli?) get lost. That ought to be factored in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom