• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nickelodeon pushing Miranda Cosgrove too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
As a father of pre-teen girls, they are (like many others) really into some of the shows on Nick, especially Icarly. The show itself is ok, but i feel that Nickelodeon is trying to make Miranda Cosgrove the next Jamie Lynn Spears, and they're trying way too hard.

If this kid is going to really take off, then let her do it slowly. Icarly is on almost all the time, and now they are having music videos with her in it, etc....i dont know...is it just me? BTW..if you dont think this kid is heavily being pushed, i just read an online article a week or so ago saying that she just signed on to do like 24 more episodes of Icarly and the contract was in the low 7 figure range.

Burli

Pringo
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
i just read an online article a week or so ago saying that she just signed on to do like 24 more episodes of Icarly and the contract was in the low 7 figure range.

Kids have it so tough these days, only 7 figures? Man.

pj

Banned
I'm sure crap like this is normal and you're only noticing it now because your kids make you watch it all god damn day

J-Rod

I was thinking they were going to make Selna Gomez their next big star, but I can see they are interested in the iCarly girl's potential too and might shift their main efforts towards her. iCarly is probably their most popular show, but I don't think she has the star power to be their next Miley.

As far as it going too fast, I don't know. If she wants it, and she is smart enough to not get knocked up or caught sexting, then I say let her go for it.

WillyFive

She seems to be able to handle the spotlight well, at least from this angle.

I don't hear much bad things behind the scenes for her, like I did for other stars her age.

Ceres

Banned
J-Rod said:
I was thinking they were going to make Selna Gomez their next big star, but I can see they are interested in the iCarly girl's potential too and might shift their main efforts towards her. iCarly is probably their most popular show, but I don't think she has the star power to be their next Miley.

As far as it going too fast, I don't know. If she wants it, and she is smart enough to not get knocked up or caught sexting, then I say let her go for it.

Isn't Gomez part of the Disney family?

Yeah, Nick really wants their own Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers but I don't think it's working out so well. I was watching the Teen Choice Awards last week with my lil' bro and for just about every category, it was mostly Disney stuff nominated/winning in Nick's own show :lol

I really don't know how Disney does it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
BTW..if you dont think this kid is heavily being pushed, i just read an online article a week or so ago saying that she just signed on to do like 24 more episodes of Icarly and the contract was in the low 7 figure range.
Damn that's way less than you get paid for having GAF Gold, she should terminate that contract.

Calcaneus

Disney did the same thing with Hannah Montana, it was on all the time when she was getting big.

Its not trying to hard if it works.

shuri

Banned
I actually caught an episode of that Hannan Montana show, i've never seen that stuff before, and WHAT THE EVER LIVING HELL at the girl's voice???!?!?! :lol Her voice sounds like she's a 40 years old chainsmoking bar fly? How come her voice is like that?! I thought she was faking her voice!

andycapps

Probably making more than these guys. Why doesn't someone go ask them what they think about how horrible this is? :lol

omar2.jpg

DonMigs85

shuri said:
I actually caught an episode of that Hannan Montana show, i've never seen that stuff before, and WHAT THE EVER LIVING HELL at the girl's voice???!?!?! :lol Her voice sounds like she's a 40 years old chainsmoking bar fly? How come her voice is like that?! I thought she was faking her voice!
Yeah, her natural voice is really low and manly

Calcaneus

andycapps said:
Probably making more than these guys. Why doesn't someone go ask them what they think about how horrible this is? :lol
Holy shit, now there's a dose of nostalgia. Goddamn Wild and Crazy Kids? Omar Gooding? Hell yeah!

Nick/Viacom just doesn't have the power to create a tween money machine like Disney does with its ability to create, advertise and control the narrative of ALL MEDIA TYPES.

What Nickelodeon needs to be doing is creating the next Spongebob-type thing. That is where they have historically excelled, and Disney's faltered comparatively speaking.

andycapps

Calcaneus said:
Holy shit, now there's a dose of nostalgia. Goddamn Wild and Crazy Kids? Omar Gooding? Hell yeah!

Haha he was the first person that popped in my head when I thought "I know they sure as heck didn't make 7 figures back in my day.." :lol One could also ask the people behind You Can't Do That On Television and Double Dare (isn't that guy on Food Network now?).

She only does like one episode a month or something. They don't have a regular episode schedule, every new episode is like a special. My son doesn't really like iCarly anymore but I think it's too old for him

Lunchbox

Banned
its iCarly not Icarly

and nick aint got that many sluts like disney. so they push the only one they have.

she's no miley

JGS

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
As a father of pre-teen girls, they are (like many others) really into some of the shows on Nick, especially Icarly. The show itself is ok, but i feel that Nickelodeon is trying to make Miranda Cosgrove the next Jamie Lynn Spears, and they're trying way too hard.

If this kid is going to really take off, then let her do it slowly. Icarly is on almost all the time, and now they are having music videos with her in it, etc....i dont know...is it just me? BTW..if you dont think this kid is heavily being pushed, i just read an online article a week or so ago saying that she just signed on to do like 24 more episodes of Icarly and the contract was in the low 7 figure range.

They did the same thing with Drake & Josh and are trying to get to that point with Tru Jackson & Big Time. iCarly is more popular than I would have ever thought, plus they are battling the Disney hits so they have to come out strong.

BTW, their shows are better than the ones I had- namely Saved by the Bell. My oldest has a crush on Miranda like I had with Lark!:lol

bjork

JGS said:
BTW, their shows are better than the ones I had- namely Saved by the Bell. My oldest has a crush on Miranda like I had with Lark!:lol

This is crazy talk. I sat through some Teen Nick the other day and was amazed at how shitty everything was. No wonder kids actually go outside and do stuff nowadays.

wRATH2x

Banned
bjork said:
This is crazy talk. I sat through some Teen Nick the other day and was amazed at how shitty everything was. No wonder kids actually go outside and do stuff nowadays.
Disney's Sonny With A Chance is the worst show I have ever seen! Why subject children to such torture!?

Medalion

Banned
Are people really complaining about kids shows? Did you expect to turn on the Nick or Disney channel, watch a tween show and expect to actually enjoy it despite you are not in their demographic?

bjork

Medalion said:
Are people really complaining about kids shows? Did you expect to turn on the Nick or Disney channel, watch a tween show and expect to actually enjoy it despite you are not in their demographic?

Yes, because I enjoy Little Bill and I'm nowhere near that show's demo.

You should watch it sometime. Little Bill is pretty bad ass.

Trickster

so, random teen girl gets at minimum, 41.6k dollars per episode in a show that most likely takes very little acting talent, and is also being heavily marketed as an up and coming star?

Sounds like a pretty fucking good deal that girl has going for her, I certainly wouldn't mind taking her place

ATF487

pj said:
I'm sure crap like this is normal and you're only noticing it now because your kids make you watch it all god damn day

This. My solution would be to just stop watching it if you could, because really, Nickelodeon's stars aren't really relevant for anyone over 16

DarkWish

wRATH2x said:
Disney's Sonny With A Chance is the worst show I have ever seen! Why subject children to such torture!?
Blasphemy! Sonny With A Chance is the ONLY show worth watching on Disney Channel. The combo of Demi Lovato and Sterling Knight never fails to make me laugh.

yencid

DarkWish said:
Blasphemy! Sonny With A Chance is the ONLY show worth watching on Disney Channel. The combo of Demi Lovato and Sterling Knight never fails to make me laugh.
its pretty horrible....

DarkWish

yencid said:
its pretty horrible....
I'll admit, most of it is just silly stuff that isn't that great... but there are tons of scenes with Demi and Sterling's characters and those are always hilarious. I just find all of their interactions to be hilarious and that makes the show for me. Their expressions are great too. Funny stuff IMO.

Compare that to JONAS or Hannah Montana... yea, Sonny With a Chance is definitely better.

MechaX

andycapps said:
Haha he was the first person that popped in my head when I thought "I know they sure as heck didn't make 7 figures back in my day.." :lol One could also ask the people behind You Can't Do That On Television and Double Dare (isn't that guy on Food Network now?).

On that subject, how much did the All That kids make anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom